Dead touchpad (closed topic no longer have computer)

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

newpet

Dead touchpad (closed topic no longer have computer)

Post by newpet »

My 2yo and one month HP 240 suddenly passed away, together with its warranty. Perfect timing. Now I'm dealing with a brand new HP 250 G9, and my goal is migrating my customized FP64 into this new machine.
First attempt, original kernel 5.4.53, all ok, except audio (totally mute), function keys for audio level, brightness and I suppose some other F-key as well. Touchpad not working.
Second attempt, this time with kernel 6.5.2-rock-rt8 (thanks to ozsouth and rockedge). Everything seems working fine now, system is snappy and smooth, fast wireless etc. Sadly still no sign of life from touchpad.
It does not work with F96_CE either. It works with windows. Any help is :welcome:

bigpup

Re: Dead touchpad

Post by bigpup »

As you have seen the hardware support is basically what the Linux kernel provides.

Very new hardware is going to need a series 6 kernel, but when the kernel was released is a big affect on what hardware it supports.

The hardware has to be available when the kernel is compiled and configured. The drivers and firmware for the hardware has to be available to put in the kernel.

With new hardware this is a constant moving target getting what is needed in the Linux kernel.

I assume that you have tried to use the mouse/keyboard wizard ->Touchpad section and tried to setup the touchpad.
If yes.
Does it even say it detected the touchpad?
If no.

You probably need to add a driver and or firmware to support the specific touchpad make and model.

Look in Pup-Sysinfo ->Devices ->input and see if you can find any info about the touchpad.
If it has any info please post what it says.

Hopefully we can figure out what driver and or firmware is needed.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

newpet

Re: Dead touchpad

Post by newpet »

@bigpup
Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I tried to setup the touchpad by its relevant section, but it's not even detected.
However, I finally decided to return the laptop to the seller, mainly because its poor display quality, not the one I expected for an IPS, and the flimsy and noisy keyboard.
Also, I think a 13" or 14" suits my needs better. Maybe with a more linux compatible hw :thumbup2:

Return to “Fossapup64”