How to stop adverts on youtube?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

number77

How to stop adverts on youtube?

Post by number77 »

Hello
I have recently been unable to stop adverts appearing at the beginning of youtube. I am on xenial64 on a dell E6230.
I run pale moon and or firefox. The final cheek seems to me that I cannot stop the sound of these adverts.
Has anyone got a solution or work round for this apart from the option of not using youtube which I am doing less because of the problem.
Help would be appreciated.
Thanks
number77

Feek

Re: Adverts on youtube

Post by Feek »

A fully functional youtube without ads is a paid service, I think.

For ad-free playback, it is possible to use the Freetube app, for example.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Ublock origin with Chrome gets rid of them for me. Occasionally it will make me disable it (or just disable "cosmetic filtering") to watch a video, but not very often.

spiritwild

Post by spiritwild »

The ads on computers don't bother me but on the roku app they all off a sudden started showing them for 30 or 40 seconds.
I have since told my doctor about 26 new medications I saw in ads. One had a side effect of sudden death from heart failure and after death, tuberculosis.

number77

Post by number77 »

dancytron wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:45 pm

Ublock origin with Chrome gets rid of them for me. Occasionally it will make me disable it (or just disable "cosmetic filtering") to watch a video, but not very often.

I tried ublock origin on pale moon and that is workink at present. Thanks

number77

Re: How to stop adverts on youtube?

Post by number77 »

Thanks for help mates, it seems cured at present. On firefox, adblocker is working at the moment.
Thanks
number77

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@number77 :-

Unfortunately, YouTube served up with ads is now a fact of life. Blame Google; it's not a coding bug, it's a conscious decision on Big Brother's part.......you want YT without ads, you're now expected to pay for the privilege!

Google have been trying-out various ways to monetize YT for years. Me, I use the 'portable' version I built of FreeTube, which @Feek mentioned above. Which you can find here, if interested:-

viewtopic.php?t=233

Up to you.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

I've been using Mike's portable Freetube in Fossa for quite a while. Not had any problems with it so would recommend.

number77

Post by number77 »

stevie pup wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:05 pm

I've been using Mike's portable Freetube in Fossa for quite a while. Not had any problems with it so would recommend.

Yes seems very good, thanks.
And thanks Mike for the portables.

JakeSFR

Post by JakeSFR »

One of the Invidious instances is also an option.
The experience can be mixed, but the one I currently use is usually stable: https://invidious.slipfox.xyz.
Oh, and the interface is 10x faster than YouTube's.

Greetings!

[O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource
Omnia mea mecum porto.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@JakeSFR :-

Interesting you should say about Invidious. Most of the optional APIs offered by FreeTube on its settings page are Invidious instances, so.....perhaps that says something about why it's so nippy, in addition to being ad-free. Whatever the reason, if I want to watch YouTube without necessarily having the main browser open, FreeTube is what I always opt for.

Mike. ;)

trawglodyte

Post by trawglodyte »

Mike's freetube portable sounds good! You can also enjoy YouTube ad-free with Opera browser, but it takes a little effort. Opera needs an additional libffmpeg.so file to playback videos, the one it comes with won't do it. You need to make a folder /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/lib_extra and put the additional libffmpeg.so file in it. There's many different libffmpeg.so files, but I've been using this same one for a long time and so far it has always worked for Opera video playback, no matter which version of chromium --> https://disk.yandex.com/d/i0khdVCTCf4_Vw

Then when you launch Opera, type opera://settings in the url window. Turn "Block ads and surf the web up to three times faster" on, and turn "Allow Acceptable Ads" off. I think those two settings shut off YouTube ads, but I usually go through all the settings.

Opera is probably my favorite browser other than the libffmpeg.so thing. It has some other nice security/privacy options in the settings, and a built-in VPN that's not bad for a freebie. You may want to turn off updates, because sometimes you have to do the libffmpeg.so hack over again when it updates. I assume this b.s. is part of a struggle between Google/Youtube, Apple/Opera, and ffmpeg or something. And I wouldn't be surprised that the fact you can enjoy YouTube without ads is part of the reason Opera can't include a functional libffmpeg.so with their browser.

Like a monkey trying to fly a space-ship. What's this button do?
Like a 12-yr old trying to wire a house. Gonna get zapped!

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@trawglodyte :-

Mm.....there's a wee bit more to the "libffmpeg.so thing" than ya realize.

Fredx181 started the ball rolling with all these portable Puppy apps 5 or 6 years ago, with a portable version of mainline Firefox. My own very first attempt at these - following Fred's method - was a portable build of PaleMoon. Having found success with that, I then did a portable build of Thunderbird. Then, it was time to turn my attention to the Chromium 'clones'.

I've used Chrome since day 1, all the way back in the autumn of 2008. My ultimate aim was always to create a Puppy 'portable' build of Chrome itself; as it turned out, it was pretty much the last one I created.....having "learnt the craft" through building several others before I got around to Chrome itself!

One thing you soon learn about with the Chromium-based browsers (and even Chrome itself is simply a 'clone' of Chromium, albeit with Google's proprietary stuff added in), and that is this; IF you want audio/video stuff in any of the clones, you soon learn about libffmpeg.....because they require a build of libffmpeg to run at all. Some have it as a separate component; others, like Google, actually build it into the main shared library when they re-compile the source code themselves. That's why you can't see libffmpeg.so anywhere in Chrome; it's there, but it's 'built-in'.

Libffmpeg.so gets re-compiled for every major release of Chromium by various folks who host their builds on Github. Only subtle differences between builds, but often enough to prevent the browser from playing-back audio & video......sometimes, even from launching in the first place. If you've been using the same version for a long time, you've been extraordinarily lucky, 'cos it doesn't normally work like that.

Opera was my first 'portable' Chromium-based 'clone'.......and, I soon discovered, one of the fussiest. The 'lib_extra' directory is built-in to the 'opera' main directory, and the 'LAUNCH' script tells it where to find it. One of our veteran members - seaside - figured-out that a couple of files in the 'resources' sub-directory also needed tweaking to point things to the right location. And Opera themselves officially approve only ONE specific individual's libffmpeg.so builds for their browser......and go so far as to warn you that other builds probably won't work.

They're right, too. They won't.

Unless you regularly read/lurk around/join up to the Opera community forums, you'll never learn about this stuff. Modifying/re-building the 'clones' is a lot different to the 'zilla-based browsers. Firefox & co. are simple to work on compared to Chromium & the 'clones'.....

Mike. ;)

trawglodyte

Post by trawglodyte »

@mikewalsh I didn't say I understood it, lol. I just said I've been using this same libffmpeg.so for many updates and chromium versions of Opera. To be honest I just noticed that most libffmpeg.so's included with the browser are 5-6mb and this one was bigger 23.4mb. It came with something else on my computer (not a browser). I didn't put it on yandex.disk because I don't know people struggle with finding a libffmpeg.so that works. I put it on yandex.disk because I know they do, and this one has worked for me like a charm. Well, so far.... keep fingers crossed.

Like a monkey trying to fly a space-ship. What's this button do?
Like a 12-yr old trying to wire a house. Gonna get zapped!

Return to “Beginners Help”