6.6.13 USRMERGE Kernel Aufs/Overlayfs

Moderator: Forum moderators

ozsouth

6.6.13 USRMERGE Kernel Aufs/Overlayfs

Post by ozsouth »

I made a 64bit USRMERGE 6.6.13 Kernel (Aufs/Overlayfs). Is for USRMERGE (newer Ubuntu/Debian derivative) Puppies ONLY.
DO NOT TRY THIS WITH SLACKWARE DERIVATIVES OR OLDER UBUNTU DERIVATIVES (IS NOT FOR F96CE OR EARLIER).
Used 2018-Kit, & edited output (linking /lib /sbin from /usr), via derivative of jrb's converter.
Needs a USRMERGE fdrv (supplied with most usrmerge pups, but my one is below).
I made this in case some folk have issues with 6.1.x kernels.
Has Voluntary Preemption set. Used gcc 11.2.0 & glibc 2.33. Used aufs6.6.4 patch to fix 6.6.4+ boot error.
Has older ntfs-3g, vmd & Blake2s builtin. Has some mediatek wifi drivers enabled. Use at own risk.

This kernel is aufs/overlayfs capable & DEFAULTS TO AUFS - kernel-line parameter punionfs allows selection -
BUT savefiles/savefolders for aufs & overlayfs are NOT usable by the other & MUST be disabled before switching.
Needs ucode (supplied with most usrmerge pups; OR - see: viewtopic.php?p=9658#p9658).

Briefly tested, OK on Bookwormpup64 10.0.4, which has usrmerge fdrv (firmware) & ucode (spectre/meltdown mitigation) already.
WARNING: For use with Bookwormpup64, MUST disable kbuild .sfs file (I add .no to end) & delete ...initmidules.txt if exists &
grub/syslinux .cfg's kernel/linux line MUST contain punionfs=overlay , as Bookwormpup64 is not designed for aufs - it is possible, but I say don't try on a MISSION-CRITICAL-SYSTEM, as at the very least, aufs & overlayfs savefiles/savefolders are NOT compatible.

wl wireless driver is in the forum Drivers section.

For compiling, devx must be loaded and sources (or headers, if required), as no compatible kbuild .sfs exists.
Note, if loaded after boot, takes several minutes to unload.

Once downloaded, expand in an empty folder with tar -jxvf, & rename kernel-modules.sfs-6.6.13-64oz-aoum to zdrv ...
(same as one to be replaced) & rename vmlinuz-6.6.13-64oz-aoum to vmlinuz & then substitute for originals.
Must rename any different usrmerge fdrv used to fdrv ... (same as one to be replaced).
Important Note: when switching kernels, if you have an ...initmodules.txt file (i.e. fossapup64initmodules.txt or similar)
must delete it before first boot into new kernel. Otherwise it may try to load modules that don't exist, causing failure.

Kernel: https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... um.tar.bz2

Sources: https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... z-aoum.sfs

Headers: https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... x86_64.sfs

My Feb2024 UM fdrv: https://www.mediafire.com/file/152ke93b ... m.sfs/file

Last edited by ozsouth on Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
Marv

Re: 6.6.13 USRMERGE Kernel Aufs/Overlayfs

Post by Marv »

Swapped in and running well in my BW64 10.0.4 install on the Fujitsu S761. Standard unionfs install, kernel-line parameter for punionfs passed. System level checks all good, lidsuspend on this hardware running without any patches for the synaptics touchpad. So far good on that aspect, we'll use it as the daily and see if any show up. That problem has gradually gotten better with later kernels with the biggest improvements coming between 6.1.xx and 6.6.xx -my sus is that it is a timing issue-

Made a non-usrmerge version, I'll test that in Fossapup23 and LxPupSc64 at some point.

Again, Thanks!

Update: After a longer -half hour or so- suspend, BW64 on this hardware with this kernel still fails to resume with the correct touchpad mappings. Oh well. Just switched the symlink in /etc/acpi/actions back to point to the patched suspend.sh.

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

Return to “Kernels”