HP CEO says they brick printers that use non -HP ink because of hackers

dogcat

HP CEO says they brick printers that use non -HP ink because of hackers

Post by dogcat »

Not because they make ungodly profits selling ink cartridges.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/01 ... s-viruses/

μακάριοι οἱ δεδιωγμένοι ἕνεκεν δικαιοσύνης, ὅτι αὐτῶν ἐστιν ἡ βασιλεία τῶν οὐρανῶν.

bigpup

Re: HP CEO says they brick printers that use non -HP ink because of hackers

Post by bigpup »

This just makes me never want to buy a HP printer :thumbup:

Simple solution is to lower their price on replacement ink cartridges! :!: :!: :!:

Their sales model is make the price of the printer low and make the money on replacement ink cartridges :roll: :!:

That really seems to be the industry model for printers!

What do you think happens to those ink cartridges you drop in that recycle bin in the stores?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

wizard

Post by wizard »

"Our long-term objective is to make printing a subscription."

That quote from HP says it all. Every manufacturer wants that business model, they want to charge you by the hour :thumbdown: or for printing maybe by the page :thumbdown: .

Stopped buying or recommending HP years ago when I found customer computers loaded down with HP's invasive spyware driver/software packages. What a load of manure.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

And I've been a happy Epson owner/user for the best part of 30 years. HP printers? Nah.....I don't think so.

I like their PCs.....but I don't like the way they think when it comes to "consumables".....or their attitude to customers (whom they plainly see as little more than 'cash cows').

The thinking amongst company CEO's nowadays has shifted from providing value-for-money and creating recurring customers. It now appears to revolve around hooking new customers by any means possible, then milking them for all they're worth. Short-term gain, as opposed to any sort of long-term plan that benefits the company by engendering lasting brand loyalty....

What a crappy situation.

Mike. :roll:

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Flash

Post by Flash »

I recently bought an H-P laser printer because I thought H-P was Linux-friendly. Only after I got it home did I discover that it has to be connected to the Internet (by wifi only) to work at all. I downloaded the app and gave it my wifi password so it could connect the printer to the Internet. After some annoyance I managed to print the page I needed. I'm not sure I could duplicate the feat.

Chaos coordinator :?
wiak

Post by wiak »

I've been using HP Deskjet 2540P (which can also print via Airprint/Wifi) and before that was using older HP Deskjet 2510. Both these are fine since they can both use cheap not-official ink cartridges and don't internet-connect home for any dubious reasons. Unfortunately, it seems that many (all?) later models contain lots of horrible tricks to force use of HP ink and so on, which is a big no no for me. I'm really happy to still have my old HP 2540P, and feel thus fortunate that it is an older HP model. However, for new printer purchase I'm making sure to avoid any printer that ties me in to official ink. I'm also looking to get some sort of Inkjet printer that has a refillable ink tank, since much cheaper to run long term when lots of printing to do. Maybe a Brother printer of some sort or the other since Canon Ecoprint is a bit pricey.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

bugnaw333

Post by bugnaw333 »

I love HP deskjetjet (Tabloid size)printers in the 90s and they are workhorses! Ink cartridges are cheap and I can refill (cheaper inks) them manually. Their printers would last almost 3 years for 12hrs daily printing. Before, their philosophy is robust and high cost reliable printer and cheaper ink cartridges. Nowadays, high cost ink cartridges and a disposable printer-- when you run-out of original ink cartridge, same price as buying a new printer. :thumbdown: :x

Attachments
Screenshot(3).png
Screenshot(3).png (44.11 KiB) Viewed 395 times
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

wiak wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:56 am

I'm also looking to get some sort of Inkjet printer that has a refillable ink tank, since much cheaper to run long term when lots of printing to do. Maybe a Brother printer of some sort or the other...

I bought a couple of older A3 capable Brother inkjets (MFC-J6510DW) as I particularly wanted to scan large documents. Perfect for that purpose.
They are also not bad for printing as the older Brother inkjet cartridges are not "chipped" so the cartridges can be refilled or replaced by cheap aftermarket cartridges - or in some cases it's possible to fit CISS (continuous ink supply) systems.
The older Brother inkjets used to have a terrible reputation for drinking and wasting ink - but this wastage is balanced by the ability to buy bulk inks and do the topups/refills without paying the high prices for Brother cartridges or having hassles with chips.

mimine

Post by mimine »

What you think of laser printers instead of ink printers ?

wiak

Post by wiak »

mimine wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:51 am

Clearly, I'd say, the text printing quality is better with laser printers, but not so good for photos/images. Also, toner dust is extremely fine and bad for the lungs!!! I wouldn't want to sit in a less than well-ventilated room when a laser if constantly being used - office workers often have no choice on that matter, but better them than me. Laser printing is also fast, but for my own home/office use I nevertheless prefer an inkjet.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mimine

Same as @wiak plus if you don't print much they are far superior because there's no ink to dry up or nozzles to clog.

I've had very good results with Brother brand lasers.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

tosim

Post by tosim »

@mimine-I have 2 laser printers-One is monochrome, the other is color. I've been using both for
well over 5 years, and wouldn't ever again use inkjet.

mimine

Post by mimine »

I just looked at the prices of the COLOR LASER PRINTERS.
BROTHER brend is cheap and good.
For example : Brother HL-L3220CWE at 200 dollars But for recto verso, you have to do it manually...
A little more expensive model and you have automatic recto verso .

Return to “Off-Topic Area”