MX Linux (and other Debian distros) Getting rid of the password prompt for sudo and pkexec

dancytron

MX Linux (and other Debian distros) Getting rid of the password prompt for sudo and pkexec

Post by dancytron »

tl;DR

Unzip the attached file, paste the files from /etc into their respective folders, create a user called "superuser" in the MX Utility for that purpose with sudo and the obvious default settings (it will automatically create a "superuser" group), and enjoy not retyping your password over and over again no good reason for everything but gparted and maybe a few other things I missed.

Longer explanation.

I've resisted the temptation to use dog themed names.

There are 2 sets of 3 files files for 2 user groups, "superuser" and "owner" in /etc that actually do anything.

/etc/sudoers.d/owner - owner group doesn't have to type password for sudo. example for individual apps commented out
/etc/sudoers.d/superusers - superusers group doesn't have to type password for sudo. example for individual apps commented out

/etc/polkit-1/rules.d/30-superuser.rules - superuser group doesn't have to type password for pkexec actions that have mx or pkexec in the title
/etc/polkit-1/rules.d/31-owner.rules - owner group doesn't have to type password for pkexec actions that have mx or pkexec in the title, except almost all commented out
/etc/polkit-1/rules.d/35-moresuperuser.rules - a few more actions with gparted commented out
/etc/polkit-1/rules.d/36-moreowner.rules - a few more actions with gparted commented out

There are short comments in each file and readme files on how they were created.

There are 3 screenshots attached. Hopefully they will substitute for writing a long explanation.

SuperUserFilesSmall.jpg shows the 2 folders in /etc and superuser sudoer file and .rules file format.

MakeSudoLauncherSmall.jpg shows a password prompt for pkexec that has pkexec itself as the action. I think you need to either type your password or use sudo instead. Adding polkit itself to the .rules file doesn't work.

PkexecActionExampleSmall.jpg has a lot going on. The bottom left is the output from "pkactions --verbose". What we are doing is changing where it says "implicit active = auth_admin" from "auth_admin" to "yes". There also some that say "auth_admin_keep" changed to yes(?? probably should double check that eventually).

The original list of actions is generated by

Code: Select all

root@mx1:/home/superuser/Desktop# pkaction
com.hp.hplip.installplugin
com.ubuntu.pkexec.gufw
com.ubuntu.pkexec.lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings
com.ubuntu.pkexec.synaptic
<and so on>

In Debian distro's, you can have local .desktop files override the ones in /usr/shared/applications by putting them in /home/username/.local/shared/applications. So you can make a sudo version the menu default by adding sudo to the "exec=" line and copying it to .local/shared/applications. Use a different file name and both will appear. MX puts .desktop files directly in /home/username/Desktop and you can do that with launchers with sudo added too.

@dimkr How bad is it?

SuperUserFilesSmall.jpg
SuperUserFilesSmall.jpg (124.5 KiB) Viewed 408 times
MakeASudoLauncherSmall.jpg
MakeASudoLauncherSmall.jpg (92.72 KiB) Viewed 408 times
PkexecActionExampleSmall.jpg
PkexecActionExampleSmall.jpg (104.12 KiB) Viewed 408 times
dancytron

Re: MX Linux (and other Debian distros) Getting rid of the password prompt for sudo and pkexec

Post by dancytron »

EDIT: If anyone wants the files, DM me. I'll put them back after I go through the list knowing more.

Last edited by dancytron on Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clarity

Re: MX Linux (and other Debian distros) Getting rid of the password prompt for sudo and pkexec

Post by Clarity »

Hello @dancytron Nice work in designing these upgrades to make user use simple.

I wonder if @amethyst NicOS utilties will allow you to generate a remaster with all of your changes as an OOTB ISO for forum release?

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Clarity wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:55 am

Hello @dancytron Nice work in designing these upgrades to make user use simple.

I wonder if @amethyst NicOS utilties will allow you to generate a remaster with all of your changes as an OOTB ISO for forum release?

MX has it's own remaster program, but it would 2 gig to distribute 6 little text files.

A script to make the list with the "pkaction" command in the correct format for the .rules file with a comment for each saying what the default setting is so you can intelligently decide what should get the no password treatment seems like a doable next step. Right now the "superuser" list is really just guess based on the name of the action.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@Clarity

wonder if @amethyst NicOS utilties will allow you to generate a remaster with all of your changes as an OOTB ISO for forum release?

No, since it is not a Puppy.

MX Linux is MUCH larger than Puppy, even using their frugal install (smallest install type) it is 4-5gb. Puppy's compact size has always been a tribute to our developers. We get more usability per pound than any other Linux out there. :thumbup2:

Would the Puppy forum even be a good place to distribute it?

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

Return to “Other Distros”