Moderator: Forum moderators

WoodLark

DPup and Virtualbox

Post by WoodLark »

I wanted to try out DPup so I downloaded these files:

dpupbuster-64bits-xfce4-PAE-8.0.0-07092020.iso
dpupbuster64-8.0.0-mate-beta3-09082020.iso
stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.19.56.iso

For each, I created a virtual environment with 8GB ram and 80GB virtual hard drive. Video memory was set to 128MB, and I tried both vmsvga and vboxsvga (This is my standard setup for evaluating linux distros. My host machine has 32GB ram and 1TB hard drive, and is running xenialpup64 7.5.

I have tested a number of other linux distros as well as several puppies with no difficulties. With the DPups, I had the following problems:

Stretch hung at "loading kernel modules" and would never finish loading.

Both Busters loaded fine, but mouse clicks inside of the setup application were ignored. Mouse clicks on the desktop did work (I was able to bring up the menu).
01101001b

Re: DPup and Virtualbox

Post by 01101001b »

Hi @WoodLark!
WoodLark wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:02 pm Stretch hung at "loading kernel modules" and would never finish loading.

Both Busters loaded fine, but mouse clicks inside of the setup application were ignored. Mouse clicks on the desktop did work (I was able to bring up the menu).
Yep, not every puppy is meant to be run in a virtual machine but some do quite fine. Not a solution, but in Virtualbox > System > Pointing Device, choosing "USB Tablet", perhaps you may experience some improvement :thumbup2:

Regards! :)

EDIT: My mistake. As WoodLark himself pointed out later, correct option is "Multi-Touch Tablet", not "USB Tablet" 8-)
Last edited by 01101001b on Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

''Most people make the mistake of thinking design is what it looks like [...] It's not [...]. Design is how it works.'' -- Steve Jobs

WoodLark

Post by WoodLark »

01101001b wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:26 pm
Hi @WoodLark!

Yep, not every puppy is meant to be run in a virtual machine but some do quite fine. Not a solution, but in Virtualbox > System > Pointing Device, choosing "USB Tablet", perhaps you may experience some improvement :thumbup2:

Regards! :)
Thank you for your help. The pointing device was already set to "USB Tablet" so I tried "PS/2 Mouse" (didn't work) and "USB Multi-Touch Tablet" (which did work!). So far, I only tried it on the XFCE version, but I would expect it to work on Mate also.

I also got Stretch to load by selecting the "No-KMS" option from the l.iso boot menu. Once I installed to the (virtual) hard drive, it booted without having to select any special options.

Now I can spend some time evaluating DPup before I decide whether or not to install it permanently. THANK YOU AGAIN!
01101001b

Post by 01101001b »

WoodLark wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:00 am The pointing device was already set to "USB Tablet" so I tried "PS/2 Mouse" (didn't work) and "USB Multi-Touch Tablet" (which did work!)
Dang! :? Before writing, I checked my vms settings to point you in the right direction but in the hurry, instead of checking a Puppy vm, I checked a wind*ws vm. I'm such an idiot :roll: Great you tried the remaining options! :thumbup:
WoodLark wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:00 am I also got Stretch to load by selecting the "No-KMS" option from the l.iso boot menu. Once I installed to the (virtual) hard drive, it booted without having to select any special options.
Excellent! :D
WoodLark wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:00 am Now I can spend some time evaluating DPup before I decide whether or not to install it permanently. THANK YOU AGAIN!
Dpup is a GREAT pup. Not only Dpupbuster64 is my main system 8-) I'm also following a LFS course in Virtualbox running Dpupbuster64 (and everything runs so perfectly it's almost a bit suspicious LOL :lol: )

Have a good time! :thumbup2:

''Most people make the mistake of thinking design is what it looks like [...] It's not [...]. Design is how it works.'' -- Steve Jobs

WoodLark

Post by WoodLark »

Dpup is a GREAT pup. Not only Dpupbuster64 is my main system 8-) I'm also following a LFS course in Virtualbox running Dpupbuster64 (and everything runs so perfectly it's almost a bit suspicious LOL :lol: )
How do you like LFS so far? I've thought about giving it a try.
01101001b

Post by 01101001b »

WoodLark wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:19 am How do you like LFS so far? I've thought about giving it a try.
Amazing! It blew my mind! :thumbup: BUT despite it's very well documented and explained, you MUST know beyond the basics since some commands can't be run "anywhere", so you must be understanding all the time what you are doing. Otherwise you will get stuck badly.
Besides that, some could find it tedious and repetitive (and to some extent, it is). That's why it's a MUST to try it in a vm, so you can suspend your work anytime and go on some other day.
Now that I'm starting to learn how to compile on my own (Palemoon for instance) and slowly improving in running a 32bit pup inside my 64bit system without Virtualbox (these guide made by @jamesbond is pure gold), certain things seen and explained in LFS get "real" and handy ;-)
One last thing: it's implied above, but LFS takes time. It's not something you could do in 2 hrs, in a rush or impatiently.
As an additional bonus, LFS version 10 comes in 2 flavors: systemd or init oriented. So you can choose your "poison" :D (personally, it's something I really applaud since I'm fed up with that n@zi nonsense of shoving that systemd cr@p down everybody's throat).
Regards!

WoodLark

Post by WoodLark »

Thank you for all the insight about LFS. Sounds like it is worth the effort. Like you, I have strong feelings about systemd. I wouldn't mind if it stuck to being an init system, but it is taking over way too much of the OS.
01101001b

Post by 01101001b »

WoodLark wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:00 pm I wouldn't mind if it stuck to being an init system, but it is taking over way too much of the OS.
Exactly my impression. Prior to systemd, there were almost 30 alternatives to init, and none of them brought so much heated controversy. So systemd as an init alternative was never the problem ;)

Return to “DPupStretch”