Wine information:
https://version2013.yolasite.com/page10

Wine packages:
https://version2013.yolasite.com/page1#wine

Latest Stable: 9.0
Latest Development: 9.6
Forum post with example link to my archive.org repo:
http://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.p ... 277#p38277

Last edited by version2013 on Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:27 am, edited 108 times in total.
mikeslr

Re: Wine-portable

Post by mikeslr »

See the next post regarding setting up wine.

The following versions of wine-portable combine the work of shinobar and the Japanese Team, creating the wine-portable structure using wine-versions 1.7x (and earlier) with version2013's later builds of wine, specifically --as noted in their names-- version 2.16 and version 3.3. The 3.3 version was built following reports that 2.16 did not work well under Bionicpup. AFAIK, 3.3 will work with any Series 5 or later Puppy.
wine-portable-2.16.tar.gz, http://smokey01.com/ttuuxxx/Wine-Portable/
wine-portable-3.3...tar.gz https://www.mediafire.com/folder/mso580 ... rtableWine

The principal advantage of using wine-portable is if you employ a SaveFile. Under Wine, window programs are installed into a "false drive_c". Wine-portable is located outside of "Puppy-Space" and only linked to Puppy via a few files. Consequently, its drive_c does not occupy space in your SaveFile: only the size of the partition it is on determines how much space can be occupied by Window programs. It provides this lesser advantage if you are using a SaveFolder in that the entire Wine-portable folder --including any programs you've installed-- can be moved or copied to a different computer without having to re-install programs. Additionally, the same wine-portable can be used by many Puppies (and debiandogs) on your computer.

It has few, if any, advantages over using wine-partially-externalized: perhaps only the ease in setting it up. When I can, I'll provide instructions on how to use any of Version2013's 32-bit wine pets --including the most recent, almost always a good thing-- and partially externalize it. Doing so, greatly reduces the amount of 'puppy-space' used by wine, itself, and also places the "false drive_c" outside of Puppy Space.

To use a wine-portable, download and extract the 'tar.gz'. A "wine-portable-VERSION-NUMBER-tar.gz-extracted" folder will be created. Within it --IIRC two layers deep-- is a folder just named "wine-portable-VERSION-NUMBER". Right-Click it and rename it just wine-portable. Move the folder wherever you want: recommended /mnt/home AKA /mnt/dev_save. Wine-portable is a rox-app. Under most Puppies when you right-click it a menu will pop-up. One of the options on that menu is "Register". If that menu does not appear, Left-click the folder to 'enter it'. Within will be a bash-script named Register. In either case, Left-Click Register. After it has registered a Menu listing "Wine Windows Program Loader" will appear on the System Submenu. It will provide a quick way to start any installed window program. There will also be, on the Utility Submenu, several Menu listings for built-in Wine programs including Wine Config. DON'T DO ANYTHING UNLESS YOU HAVE A WORKING INTERNET CONNECTION. When you do, Left-click the Wine Config listing. It will create the Wine environment. During that process it will offer to download Mono and Gecko.

As soon as I can, I'll post instructions on how to create 'direct' menu listing for installed windows programs and for those 'portable windows programs' which do not/can not be installed into 'drive_c'.

Other than the above, the only difference between working with wine-portable rather than wine is that when necessary to use a command to start a program, that command under wine is "wine NAME_OF_PROGRAM" while under wine portable it is "wine.sh NAME_OF_PROGRAM". Note the '.sh'.

Last edited by mikeslr on Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeslr

Getting any 32-bit Wine to Work on 64-bit Systems

Post by mikeslr »

See this post about obtaining version2013's wine pets: https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 776#p63776

Although there may be 64-bit Windows program you may want, and version2013 publishes a 64-bit Wine pet, as far as I am concerned my principal interest in Wine is to run some of the many 32-bit applications created for Windows XP, and perhaps some of the 32-bit Windows programs still being published as newer versions.

The 64-bit version of Wine can not be run under 32-bit operating systems.

In building the 64-bit Wine, version2013 only includes a 32-bit wine-server. It does not run (any?) the vast majority of 32-bit windows programs. FatDog64, debiandogs and perhaps some others operating systems may be 'multi-architecture' OOTB: that is capable of running both 32-and-64 bit applications. But most puppies are not. The only difficulty running 32-bit wine under 32-bit Puppies is remembering to configure wine before trying to install or otherwise use any windows program.

But to run any 32-bit windows program under most 64-bit Puppies, EVEN BEFORE YOU CAN CONFIGURE WINE, you must first create a 32-bit Linux environment. To do that, you have to download a 32-bit compatibility SFS. [In 'Ubuntu' Puppies, it may be available via Quickpet]. After downloading the 32-bit Compatibility.sfs, you use Menu>Setup>SFS-Load on the fly to load it. [Alternatively, right-click the SFS and choose SFS-load from the pop-up menu]. Having sfs-loaded it, open a terminal/console and type the following command:

Code: Select all

ldconfig

The first letter in the above is a 'small' sounds-like "EL" -- neither an i/I nor the number 1.

It should take some time for the ldconfig command to do its job. The compatibility SFS is almost an entire operating system. The ldconfig command creates links between it and your 64-bit operating system. If the terminal's command prompt reappears immediately, there's a good chance the command didn't take. Do it again.

Or better still, see is a 'strictly' 32-bit application less finicky than wine will run. You can find an 'old' opera 12.16 pet here, http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... es-common/. No need to install it. Right-Click it and select UExtract from the pop-up menu. Within the extracted folder you'll find a bash-script named "opera". Left-Clicking it will open Opera if your 32-bit environment has been created. [Note, starting Opera will create a hidden folder --Right-Click Rox's Eye to see it-- /root/.opera. that you may want to delete. Or keep Opera somewhere. It still works, 'though many websites won't allow access or present properly].

Only after the 32-bit environment has been successfully created will any attempt to configure wine or wine-portable work.

Last edited by mikeslr on Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeslr

Wine Partially Externalized

Post by mikeslr »

Background You can skip down to "Meat & Potatoes": Hopefully by now you know that the recommended way of running Puppies is a "Frugal" rather than Legacy install. [If no one else explains that and why in the Beginner's Section soon, I will]. If you've used the Universal Installer or similar to do a "frugal" install, you know that at some point you get to choose between creating a SaveFile and a SaveFolder, and that SaveFolder is 'recommended'. For 'newbies' that is usually the better choice. But for me, because of the way I run Puppies, I prefer a SaveFile despite these disadvantages: (1) It has a fixed size (which can be increased --requiring a reboot-- but not decreased); and (2) comes with the strong recommendation 'keep it small."

Keeping it small is hard to do if you intend to use many Window programs under Wine. Hence, my interest in Wine-portable. At one point I measured the hard-drive space being used by installed Windows programs at 32 Gbs. And that wasn't counting the portable-windows programs which weren't 'installed'.

Accompanying my original publication of Wine-portable 2.16 was the recipe for updating shinobar's original. I plan to republish it later. But frankly, I wasn't able to generate a functional application using a Series 4 wine pet by version2013 although someone else posted he had. That failure eventually lead me to wondering whether Wine could be 'externalized' by some other method. I was especially interested in moving drive_c --into which programs install-- out of 'the SaveFile'.

Years ago DaveS and jrb pioneered the technique of 'externalizing'. More recently, fredx181 and --following his published analysis-- Mike Walsh have published Web-browsers and other applications as portables. Essentially, what is done is to move folders and files from the locations chosen by the original publishers out of those locations and then create symbolic links to them in their new locations from their original locations.
Meat & Potatoes:
Using that technique I was manually able to move drive_c and most of the files a wine pet will install onto Puppy's Home Partition and still have a functioning application. My approach is not much different than a kid playing with blocks. Visualize what you want to build and move the blocks. :) But I don't program. :( ["A man must know his limitations", Dirty Harry Callahan]. So, I remembering the episode in Tom Sawyer where Tom convinced his friends how much fun it would be to paint a fence, I sort of 'conned' Mike Walsh into doing the hard work. :lol: :lol:

He created two applications, Externalize_WINE.sh and WineCFG-MenuEntry.pet which you can obtain here, https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... UJhWTBvOWs linking them with the explanation here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 91#1033146

"Essentially, all that would be involved after installing a wine pet (or loading a wine sfs) is to run a script which would, in the following order:

Download & install Wine pet
Install WINE-CFG Menu entry .pet & run it the first time
[Second and subsequent uses, it brings up the WINE Control Panel].
Remove fake.gz from externalization script in this folder. Place in /root. Run the 'externalization' script.

Okay; further modifications, and.....some testing.

The Wine-CFG menuentry .pet will now also install Pupmessage, required for the script to work. This adds all of 2 kb to the overall size, which is small to begin with; it's a useful addition.....many older Pups and applications use it. Newer Pups now use gxmessage, but the two are sym-linked together anyway.

I've tided up some of the file-manipulation operations, using the '*' wildcard in a couple of places to only copy directory contents as opposed to the whole thing. Some Puppies, again newer ones, and, I think, some of the Slackos? use lib32 for other stuff, so it doesn't all want copying over, just the WINE items.

Running the script now pops up an initial message, advising that the operation CAN take a little while, especially on a flash drive - it's copying all those 1000+ .dlls across that takes the time, of course..!

SEE ATTACHED SCREENSHOT FOR GRAPHICS ORIGINALLY HERE.

Tested in a pristine install of Tahr 606, using version2013's Wine 3.3_v2.1. Installed this first, followed by the Wine-CFG Menuentry, and placing the script in /root for the duration (after removing the fake .gz).

All works nicely, and, I think, does just what you wanted.....as explained in your OP. Updated items attached below, and previous items removed from the post above.
Attachments
Notices.png
Notices.png (12.98 KiB) Viewed 18088 times
Last edited by mikeslr on Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeslr

Wine Partially Externalized -- Benefits & Limitations

Post by mikeslr »

The same Partially Externalized Wine can in part be used by any number of Puppies and copied to other locations/computers/USB-Keys AS LONG AS YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM SEES THAT LOCATION AS BEING ITS HOME PARTITION. Among the things externalized are drive_c, which holds the Window programs you install, and Wine's registry which 'instructs' Wine how to use those files. Basically, you're able to avoid having to start from scratch when setting up a different Puppy.

However, unlike Wine-portable, a small but significant part of the files a wine pet installed into your operating system only exists in the first operating system into which you installed them. What you have to do in order to use the externalized part (and the programs you later installed into drive_c) is:

1. Again install the wine.pet, probably the exact same one you originally used. A different wine pet is possible, but untested. [If you try with a different wine pet, please publish your results].
2. Install the WineCFG-MenuEntry.pet and run it.
3. After installing the wine pet open a terminal and type --without the quotes-- "wine winecfg". You can probably decline allowing mono & gecko to download.
4. Test that wine is working.
5. Download the attached, RENAME - REMOVING THE FALSE '.gz', make it executable*, place it in /root and run it.

=-=-=0-=-=-
* There's a bash command for making scripts executable. The reason I don't program is that I can't remember formulas. So, what I do is Right-Click the file, choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu and place an "x" in each box under the title "Exec".
Attachments
Externalize_WINE_AGAIN.sh.gz
Remove false '.gz'/ Rename & run from /root
(886 Bytes) Downloaded 179 times
mikewalsh

Re: Wine

Post by mikewalsh »

@ mikeslr:-
mikeslr wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:47 am <snip>....So, remembering the episode in Tom Sawyer where Tom convinced his friends how much fun it would be to paint a fence, I sort of 'conned' Mike Walsh into doing the hard work. :lol: :lol: ....</snip>
.....and to think I used to like this guy!! Image

---***LOLOLOL***---

Nah, it was all good practice. Basic file-manipulation stuff, but I learnt a few tricks during the writing of that script which have come in handy several times since, if I'm honest!

I wanted to make use of it myself, especially given that I run TextAloud! under WINE, and many of the available good-quality AT&T 'voices' run out between 600-900 MB apiece. Doesn't take long to use several GB up with a dozen or so of those, so 'externalizing' is definitely the way to go for this stuff.

Mike. :thumbup:

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikeslr

Looking for any of version2013's wine pets

Post by mikeslr »

It wasn't obvious, you can find the webpage providing links to all version2013's wine pets from here, https://version2013.yolasite.com/page1.php#wine-5.0.1. Just keep scrolling down. Although the windows program you want to run might require an earlier wine version, it's usually best to try the newest versions first. If you are running Bionicpup(64), its contemporaries or later puppies, AFAIK you will need a version 3 or later wine pet.

If you require menus, don't forget to download the wine-extras-2.1 pet from the above link before following links to the wine version you want.
Version2013's pets usually have this format

wine-3.14_vA.B.pet
A is a number from 1 to 3. 1 indicates it was compiled under Puppy 4.3.1; 2 under Racy, a Series 5 Puppy; and 3 under Tahrpup a Series 6 Puppy. Recent wine versions did not compile under Puppy 4.3.1. If you are running such Puppies that old or older, you're probably have better luck trying an older version of wine. I'd recommend a Tahrpup compile for any Series 6 or newer Puppy.
BIndicates whether or not the pet was stripped. 1 indicates it was. WineHQ recommends that wine not be stripped if you need their assistance.. As I doubt they could provide any assistance to problems under a Frugal install, I always select "1".
01101001b

Post by 01101001b »

version2013 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:56 pm My previous wine thread: [...]
Information about a few saved forum threads: [...]
-----------------------
Wine information: [...]
Wine packages: [...]
Indeed, I can't thank you enough for your work, but thank you! :thumbup: :D

''Most people make the mistake of thinking design is what it looks like [...] It's not [...]. Design is how it works.'' -- Steve Jobs

tlchost

Post by tlchost »

just made a fossapup64 bootable usb drive and downloaded wine from the quickpet. I remember in older puppies that was a simple addition that allowed one to siply click on a portable windows app and it would run under wine. Does anyone recall that? it seemed a lot simply than issuing the command wine (name of portable windows app).

thanks
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

tlchost wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:06 pm just made a fossapup64 bootable usb drive and downloaded wine from the quickpet. I remember in older puppies that was a simple addition that allowed one to siply click on a portable windows app and it would run under wine. Does anyone recall that? it seemed a lot simply than issuing the command wine (name of portable windows app).

thanks
AFAIK, all you do is click to open the PortableApp, then click on its .exe. Works for me, so long as WINE is set up correctly...

Mike. ;)

tlchost

Post by tlchost »

thanks Mike...so I have to assume that the wine in the quickpet is not set up correctly. PITA
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

tlchost wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:50 pm thanks Mike...so I have to assume that the wine in the quickpet is not set up correctly. PITA
It may be correct. Certainly the Devs who make them available know a lot more than I. But now and them someone posted about a problem using one Puppy or another. Version2013 has been publishing wine pets for years. When anyone has had a problem with any of those the discussion and analysis which followed always revealed that the problem was with something that user did, or didn't do. Unscrambling a User Problem is more difficult than telling a User how to get it right in the first place.

I have some version of wine running on all my Puppies. And by now I know where all the files and folders of any wine pet version2013 makes are located. I can help a User having a problem even if I don't have the exact Puppy or Wine build. To analyze a different build, I'd have to set up a new Puppy or remove the wine setup I have in order to install the other. I'm not inclined to do either. So my lack of endorsement of wine via quickpet is actually motivated by a desire to avoid problems for myself and newbies. I'm probably just being over-cautious. As I posted somewhere, except for Wine Quickpet is the first place to look for additional software. I know that several of the applications 666philb has made available in the A&V section of Bionicpup64's Quickpet are very difficult to get right; as difficult or perhaps even more difficult than wine. But he has gotten them right. :thumbup:
mikewalsh

Re: Wine - PortableApp "Launcher"

Post by mikewalsh »

I've already mentioned this in another thread today, but I'm going to mention it here again in its correct location.

Mikeslr and I both use quite a few PortableApps, from the PortableApps website. These are unusual, in that you do NOT run them from within the /root/.wine "prefix". You keep 'em in a separate location, and run them from there. Reason being that they contain their own 'mini-registry' that they write to, so you don't want this getting confused with the main WINE Windows registry.

Normally, I keep them all in their own dedicated 'remote' folder, sym-linked into /root. I then put together custom Menu entry .pets, so it's a simple matter to add 'em into each Pup's desktop Menu. However; recently - and I just can't find the post; it was subsumed within another thread (as usual!) - somebody mentioned that the PortableApps platform 'launcher app' does itself run under WINE.

And so it proved..!

You can download the launcher app from the same site as all the PortableApps themselves. You have to 're-install' all your .paf.exe files (the PortableApp format), since the Launcher re-organises everything into a different location, and adds its own links, etc., in the process. Doesn't appear to be any way to 'point' it at an existing folder, but that's no hardship; doesn't take long.

It's a very much better way of organising your PortableApps, that's for sure. I run mine under version2013's WINE 3.3_v2.1; this version just works for me with everything I use, so I don't see the need to upgrade. Mikeslr put me onto this one a while back, and it does everything I need it to.....even Photoshop CS2. It should work fine with all recent versions, I would imagine.

[Click to enlarge:-]

Nice and neat and tidy. Works for me, anyroad. The only 'extra' I assembled was a MenuEntry .pet pointing to the location of the launcher app's .exe file, which lives on a large partition of my secondary 'data' drive.....and allows me to start it from Menu->Personal.

Bob's your Uncle!

Mike. ;)

keniv

Re: Wine-portable

Post by keniv »

mikeslr wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:23 am

The following versions of wine-portable combine the work of shinobar and the Japanese Team, creating the wine-portable structure using wine-versions 1.7x (and earlier) with version2013's later builds of wine, specifically --as noted in their names-- version 2.16 and version 3.3. The 3.3 version was built following reports that 2.16 did not work well under Bionicpup. AFAIK, 3.3 will work with any Series 5 or later Puppy.
wine-portable-2.16.tar.gz, http://smokey01.com/ttuuxxx/Wine-Portable/
wine-portable-3.3...tar.gz https://www.mediafire.com/#mso58025te7mz

I had a copy of wine-portable-3.3_v.2.1 running on Dpup Stretch 7.5 on another machine. I tried transferring it to this machine and again running on Dpup Stretch 7.5. However, it does not work. I tried to download another copy of the tar.gz from your mediafire link shown above. This link only takes me to what looks like the mediafire home page. I'm not offered any tar.gz file to download. I'm now wondering if this link is still active. If not can somebody please point me at a site from which this tar.gz can be downloaded.

Regards,

Ken.

mikeslr

Re: Portable Wine 3.3_v2.1 tar.gz

Post by mikeslr »

Hi Keniv,
Clicked on the link in your post and got the Mediafire log in page. But the account is still active as I could log in. Not sure what the problem is/was. Created a new link. Opened a 2nd web browser, entered that link and it took me to the download folder. Try this link, https://www.mediafire.com/folder/mso580 ... rtableWine.

And now clicking the link in your post works. :? Edit 2: Nope. Seems I clicked the link for the 2.16 version which works, but not your link to the 3.3 version.

Somehow your the text of your link to 3.3 got truncated to:
...mediafire.com/#mso58025te7mz
the actual link is:
...mediafire.com/folder/mso58025te7mz/PortableWine
Note re above: I had to remove everything before the last "w." from the URLs otherwise the Forum automatically creates a URL link which doesn't show the entire URL.

Checked my post on this Forum providing the link to 3.3. I guess that somehow was me. :oops: Fixed.

keniv

Re: Portable Wine 3.3_v2.1 tar.gz

Post by keniv »

mikeslr wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:40 pm

Hi Keniv,
Clicked on the link in your post and got the Mediafire log in page. But the account is still active as I could log in. Not sure what the problem is/was. Created a new link. Opened a 2nd web browser, entered that link and it took me to the download folder. Try this link, https://www.mediafire.com/folder/mso580 ... rtableWine.

Just to confirm that your new link works for me and I've downloaded unpacked and installed Portable Wine 3.3_v2.1 on sda1. Have tested it and it's working. Thanks for this.

Regards,

Ken.

mikeslr

Re: Wine - run Windows programs in Puppy Linux

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, keniv, for calling it to my attention. :thumbup:

It's bad enough that your mind plays tricks on you. You often see what you thought your wrote rather than what you actually wrote. :lol: What's surprising is that you don't always end up publishing gibberish when you can't see what you actually wrote. :roll:

By "you" I mean "me". AFAIK, to clearly state what was meant the above paragraph should have begun with "It's bad enough that one's mind play tricks on one." :geek: :thumbdown: But nobody talks like that.

ahoppin

Post by ahoppin »

Unfortunately the links to lilfile.com for version2013's PETs are not working for me. I get an "Address Not Found" error. Does anyone know of another mirror for these files?

mikeslr

Re: Wine - Pets earlier than version 5

Post by mikeslr »

Hi ahoppin,

You're right. Or were. I'm not sure what happened. After reading your post I tried the link on the OP and could only access wine pets version 5 and more recent. Spent some time exploring version2013's repo and discovered these links to backups at archive.org:
The important content of this website, is backed up at:
https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... repository
in the format of "version2013_date.tar"

Partial archive of this website, located:
https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://ve ... asite.com*

Then, to write it up/respond, went back to the OP where clicking:
Wine packages:
https://version2013.yolasite.com/page1#wine
opened to the full repo.
:roll: :D

ahoppin

Post by ahoppin »

The page https://version2013.yolasite.com/page1.php works fine for me, but the links on it point to lilfile.com - and my browser (Seamonkey) says "Address Not Found. lilfile.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again."

However, the first archive.org mirror you posted is working, so thanks for that!

version2013

Post by version2013 »

Example link to my archive.org repo

First go here:
https://version2013.yolasite.com/page1.php#wine-6.16

This line:
> > wine/6.16/

The greater-than character ">" is a link to:
https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... -6.16.tar/

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Edit August 20, 2022: You can directly download pets from here: https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... Repository. Thanks, again, ally.

Currently, August 5, 2022, some internal links within version2013's repository are broken. [? Problem with url-shortening?]

As previous posts indicated, you can start here, https://version2013.yolasite.com/page1.php#wine. Then scroll down to the version you are interested in. Click the > at the far left. This screenshot circled an example in pink for clarity.

Wine-Links.png
Wine-Links.png (8.58 KiB) Viewed 8351 times

That will take you to the location on archive.org of the pet you want. Edit per MikeWalsh's post following: Then click on that pet to download it.

Pets in Archive.png
Pets in Archive.png (85.02 KiB) Viewed 8313 times

The method suggested in the previous post will download a tar archive which, containing a couple of versions plus dev and doc files, is much larger and has to be 'untarred'.

FYI --the meaning of the numbers following the "v", e.g, wine-3.3_v.3.2.
The first number -- in this case 3-- indicates it was compiled under Tahrpup32. "2" would indicate it was compiled under racy. "1" under Puppy 4.31.1. "4" indicates that it was compiled under Tahrpup64.

FWIW, as I have no interest in running Window 64 bit programs, I always select a "3". If, however, you are running a Puppy published before Tahrpup32, you should probably select version '1' or '2', whichever was compiled under a Puppy closest in time to the original publication of the 1st version of your Puppy as your Puppy might not contain the infra-structure required by 'higher' versions.

The second number, in the above case "2", indicates whether or not the pet has been stripped. 1=true, 2=false. WineHQ suggests that if you want assistance from them it should not be. But it's unlikely that they could provide any assistance regarding wine deployed to Puppys as Puppys function differently than other Linuxes.

Last edited by mikeslr on Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@mikeslr :-

No need to download the whole archive, Mike. Click that arrow to take you to archive.org, yes.....then all you need to do is to click on the item you actually want, and it'll download by itself.

I've had a couple of items off there myself this afternoon. That's how I know.

(*Check your inbox!*) :D

T'other Mike. ;)

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

@ MikeWalsh, I edited the text to reflect your 'addition'. 'Thought it was implied/obvious. That's why writers need editors and lawyers secretaries. :roll:

Thanks for reminding me to check my inbox. But I might have thought of doing that in a month or two. :oops: :lol:

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:46 pm

@mikeslr :-

No need to download the whole archive, Mike. Click that arrow to take you to archive.org, yes.....then all you need to do is to click on the item you actually want, and it'll download by itself.

I've had a couple of items off there myself this afternoon. That's how I know.

(*Check your inbox!*) :D

T'other Mike. ;)

Yes, and a further tip for archive.org. In many cases there is an option to view the contents of an archived item. So you could have a look at the contents of an iso file for example. This could give you the list of contents of the iso but the nice thing is that one can actually download a file from the list directly without downloading the whole iso. Very handy.

version2013

Post by version2013 »

I assume the reference to broken links are the ones pointing to lilfile.com

lilfile.com has been down several times before, but only temporarily.
I thought this time would also be temporary.
It is a long outage, so possibly permanent.

I am getting less inclined to use a file host that only has links to individual files and not folders/directories.

It is time to clean up and remove those broken links.

version2013

Post by version2013 »

compiling wine in S15Pup

v5.1 in S15Pup32
v6.1 in S15Pup64

viewtopic.php?t=7464

gabtech

Post by gabtech »

Which is the best wine version for F96?

gabtech :thumbup2:

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

gabtech wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:30 pm

Which is the best wine version for F96?

Wrong question. AFAIK, F96 will run wine however it's been packaged: verison2013's pets-directly*, a wine-portable using version2013's pet, but packaged as a portable using shinobar/the Japanese Teams technique; one of MikeWalsh's portables employing an AppImage or [If you don't mind having wine-preffixes each up to a gb occuppying RAM] an AppImage directly.

The important question is what programs you want to use and which iteration of wine provides the best results. To find out, use https://appdb.winehq.org/ search box, then read the test results and comments.

The general rules are (1) WineHq only reports on installs and frequently portables run as well or better. [My guess is that wine's registry is not exactly equivalent to Windows' registry and portables are created so as not to write to a registry]. (2) Newer iterations of wine are usually better, but not always.

-=-=-=-
Version2013's pets create wine-prefixes in 'Puppy-Space' [IIRC, in /root], will be preserved in the SaveFile/Folder and will always require some RAM even when not in use. However, before executing a Save that prefix (and most other components of wine) can be externalized. See this post, viewtopic.php?p=335&sid=3094d03e1e80eb6 ... 405af#p335

version2013

Post by version2013 »

"~/.wine is just the default wineprefix (a.k.a. "configuration directory" or "bottle")."
https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Can_I_store ... 2F.wine.3F

Years ago I used the default wineprefix for all windows applications I installed and used.
It has been quite some time that I switched to using wineprefixes that are located somewhere in "/mnt/home/", outside of the puppy savefile/savefolder.

A bit more information:
https://version2013.yolasite.com/page10.php#tips

Return to “WINE”