Sweet Home 3d

Moderator: Forum moderators

peppyy

Sweet Home 3d

Post by peppyy »

I was looking for a program to design a unique building and came across Sweet Home 3d. It has an installer for Linux that when clicked gives you the option to install or extract. I extracted it to a storage partition on another drive, clicked the app and it fired right up. It is simple enough that I could understand most of it by just playing around.
71.1mb zipped. 148mb extracted to a folder, (Not sure how much I added before I checked), and runs great in fossapup64.
It is very versatile and the options are amazing.

Screenshot of photo rendering mode
Screenshot of photo rendering mode
Sweet-Home-Test3.jpg (15.84 KiB) Viewed 469 times

You can get it at http://www.sweethome3d.com/download.jsp
You can import all kinds of models, textures etc. I haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do. They have a great community and tutorials in the how too section plus where to find just about anything you might want to use in the program.
Warning! it can be very addicting.

Puppy Linux. It just works!
Foassapup 9.5 64-(Frugal) Mobo, M5A99FX PRO - CPU, AMD FX-6300 6 core - mem,32GB - Storage
ssd 128GB M4 - ssd-256GB APS - ssd-1TB PNY - GPU GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G. Yes it's a Mutt.

mikewalsh

Re: Sweet Home 3d

Post by mikewalsh »

Hey, @peppyy! Thanks for reminding us about this one.

It must be seven or eight years since I last played around with this. I picked up on it due to Pelo's constant necro-excavation, bringing old threads back to the top of the listing. I'll have to take another look at it; I daresay it must have improved a fair bit in the intervening years.

Ta, lad! :D

Mike. :thumbup:

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Hm. Mm-hmm.....

'Kay. Still bundled with Java, I see.....though they've re-named the jre directory to "runtime". No biggie. Still fires straight up, and due to being a Java app it'll run anywhere, so.....

This'll "portabilize" nicely, since it's self-contained. Okay! :D

I'll have some late Xmas 'prezzies' for y'all soon...

Mike. ;)

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

@mikewalsh
I had a love/hate relationship with Java back in the day. I used to code a bit, "HTML In notepad" and it was so frustrating to know what every browser had for Java. I had so many browsers installed in 95 to check it all. That was when I switched to DTML since it was better supported. The thing I appreciated about this was that it was packaged in such a way that it had what it needed and not a lot more. I looked at PPM and saw the size of the installation "194mb with 50 deps "huge" and thought it was worth a try.
It appears to be much like a "portable" although it said it was an "Arch" package. So happy Puppy lets us extract it and run it independently.

Thanks for trying it! I can't wait to see how slim you could make it.

desktop(21).jpg
desktop(21).jpg (165.87 KiB) Viewed 420 times

Foassapup 9.5 64-(Frugal) Mobo, M5A99FX PRO - CPU, AMD FX-6300 6 core - mem,32GB - Storage
ssd 128GB M4 - ssd-256GB APS - ssd-1TB PNY - GPU GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G. Yes it's a Mutt.

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

@mikewalsh Learning a bit more about this program. I was looking to install a roof generator plugin and found that it does create a .eteks folder in root to save backups, settings and plugins.

desktop(22).jpg
desktop(22).jpg (48.72 KiB) Viewed 370 times

I was hoping everything was stored in the uncompressed folder. :roll: I guess there are certain things that are individual for each user. This is the size with several plugins in it.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@peppyy :-

Hm. Okayyy....

I would have expected the XDG protocol stuff used in the launcher - which MochiMoppel helped develop - would keep everything self-contained. In combination with the 'HERE' read-link trick (which Fred pioneered), it lets you set the portable directory AS the user's $HOME directory, then creates all the config stuff inside that.

Most apps, it seems, create a certain number of config/profile directories/files on first run. The thing with SweeetHome3D, here, is that it's then creating further config directories at a later date, as & when things like plugins get added. From the look of things, the XDG desktop stuff is not picking up on this, so the app is therefore inserting them into the regular filesystem instead.

I have come across this before, on occasion. Sometimes, there just IS no way round it.

However, we can perform a "workaround" here, which will keep /root/.eteks within the portable.

• Copy /root/.eteks into the portable directory, and delete it from /root itself. (It's a 'hidden' directory, so use ROX's 'eye' to show these in order to confirm it's been copied correctly BEFORE deleting the original).
  • Add the following to the 'LAUNCH' script:-

After

Code: Select all

HERE="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"

.....add

#
mkdir -p $HERE/.eteks 2> /dev/null
ln -s $HERE/.eteks /root/.eteks

At the very end of the script, leave a line and add

rm -f /root/.eteks

The final item should look like this:-

#!/bin/sh
#
# Launch SweetHome3D.....
#
HERE="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"
#
mkdir -p $HERE/.eteks 2> /dev/null
ln -s $HERE/.eteks /root/.eteks
#
XDG_CONFIG_HOME=
XDG_CACHE_HOME=
XDG_DATA_HOME=
HOME="$HERE"
#
# Determine kernel release...
uname -r > /tmp/kernel.txt
UNAME=$(cat /tmp/kernel.txt)
# Launch with official Nvidia driver...
if [ -f "/lib/modules/$UNAME/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko" ]
then
	"$HERE/SweetHome3D-7.2/SweetHome3D-Java3D-1_5_2" "$@"
fi
# Launch with 'nouveau'...
if [ ! -f "/lib/modules/$UNAME/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko" ]
then
	"$HERE/SweetHome3D-7.2/SweetHome3D" "$@"
fi
#
rm -f /root/.eteks

This will link /.eteks into /root before firing it up. SweetHome3D will find the directory where it expects to, then when you close the app it will delete the link. /.eteks has never left the portable directory, but will be "in position" when needed.

Let me know if that works for you.

Mike. ;)

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

@mikewalsh To tell the truth I have so busy the last few days designing that I haven't given it a thought. As I said it can be very addicting. I run it from 2 different installs of fossa64. One is a clean install and the other is my everyday use with my usual tools and apps. It is nice to be able to launch it from anywhere at least.

I am currently attempting to create my own custom furniture to put into the building, everything from a massage table to tincture bottles :lol: Here is a rough render of the building.

1040-best render.jpg
1040-best render.jpg (69.97 KiB) Viewed 300 times

Now I am trying to figure out blender to get a label on a bottle I created. Want to stock the shelves in the shop :lol: I have been watching blender tutorials all afternoon and all I have learned how to do is crash blender. It is probably the appimage version I have has an issue. I will install it from quickpet and see if that one works. Must be 5:00 somewhere.

Return to “Engineering/Science/Simulation”