How to install Vanilla Dpup 10.0.40?

Moderators: dimkr, Forum moderators

Maxiwuff

How to install Vanilla Dpup 10.0.40?

Post by Maxiwuff »

Hello,

I am very new to Linux, I only had slight first experiences with FossaPup 64 in the past, but I got as far as just installing the OS and minor setup of things.
Seeing how limited normal Puppy seemed to be compared to other OS's I stumbled upon this distro and thought to give it a try.
Planned to get the xorg one (which I hope I got the correct one, 10.0.40 with no words after in the iso name)

And here is the first issue I have - how do I even install it? Only installer I saw in the program list is the Puppy Installer, which only allows me to make a bootable USB (which is odd because on FossaPup64 it had option to install it on an internal drive). I saw on the forum here some other installer in installation guides, but I don't have anything else and my pendrive does not have much space either.

I can attach screenshots of anything that is needed, help would be greatly appreciated.

d-pupp

Re: How to install Vanilla Dpup 10.0.40?

Post by d-pupp »

Only installer I saw in the program list is the Puppy Installer, which only allows me to make a bootable USB (which is odd because on FossaPup64 it had option to install it on an internal drive).

Hi @Maxiwuff
Yes Vanilladpup is a bit different from other puppies. There is no hard disk installer
You have to do a manual install to the hard drive.

"This is assuming you have a Linux partition and not Windows "

This is easier then it sounds
If you have FossaPup64 installed to the hard drive most of the work is already done.

Boot into FossPup64
Click on the desktop icon for your hard drive sda1 whatever it is. This is where your FossPup64 files will be.
Create a new folder called vanilladpup or whatever you wan to call it. Keep it simple you are going to have to type that name a lot
Open the iso image by clicking on it.
Copy all the files that end with .sfs .gz .bin .cpio and vmlinz in to the new folder you just created
Now open you grub config or menu.1st and copy the entry for Fosspup64 and paste it below.
Then just edit the copy to point at the new vanilladpup folder replacing fossPup64 with the new folder name.

Mine is older form grub4dos but the idea is the same

Code: Select all

title vanilla10 (sda1/vanilla10)
  find --set-root uuid () xxxxxxxx your uuid
  kernel /vanilla10/vmlinuz  pdrv=xxxxxxxx your uuid  psubdir=/vanilla10 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
 if [ -e /vanilla10/ucode.cpio ]; then
    initrd /vanilla10/ucode.cpio /vanilla10/initrd.gz
 else
    initrd /vanilla10/initrd.gz
 fi

Maxiwuff

Post by Maxiwuff »

Well... this is a new laptop, the one I had FossaPup on could not even open discord as it would crash.. so this is a different, completely empty drive, formatted into ext4 so should be for Linux afaik.
Got nothing yet, no bootloader or anything... cause I was not very sure what to do and thought that asking for help would save me tons of walking in the dark in all the wrong directions.

What should I do in this situation?

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Hi Max

Does your vanilla USB have Gparted partition manager?
A new laptop will use UEFI to boot, which requires a small Fat partition at the beginning of the drive. this tutorial may help

viewtopic.php?t=5275

for the linux partition you can go with ext3 or ext4

depending on the size of the drive, you may want multiple partitions. some of the drive may be left unallocated if you are not sure about future needs yet.

If you choose to follow the tutorial and need to find frugalpup, you can download it to your USB from

viewtopic.php?t=337

Maxiwuff

Post by Maxiwuff »

Got it up and running flawlessly, thanks!
Though it will definitely not be the last time I ask for help, I will see what I can figure out on my own first ^^

Maxiwuff

Post by Maxiwuff »

Well.. I did something a little dumb and locked myself out. For some reason the password I set (or what I think I set) doesn't seem work. Do I have to install it all again?

I removed " -f" in /bin/autologin so it asks for root password on startup

Edit: I figured out the issue after a reinstall - removing "-f" wasn't the issue. Changes root password did. On a fresh install I removed the "-f" and rebooted, logged in just fine. Changed the password and suddenly I couldn't.

Edit 2: Apparently disabling autologin in a way I did works only with the default password and changing it makes you unable to log in.

Last edited by Maxiwuff on Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
d-pupp

Post by d-pupp »

@Maxiwuff I would boot from a usb installed pup
Then move your save folder for Vanilladpup to a safe place so you access it later if needed
Then reboot as normal
This will reset everything back to a first boot up
Set everything up again and reboot. Answer yes to save session.

Maxiwuff

Post by Maxiwuff »

Thanks for letting me know ^^
I was a little impatient and reinstalled it, but I'm pretty sure I'll use this advice at least once in the near future.

Return to “Vanilla Dpup”