How to make a Menu entry for Vassal?

Moderators: kirk, jamesbond, p310don, JakeSFR, step, Forum moderators

Neo_78

How to make a Menu entry for Vassal?

Post by Neo_78 »

The boardgame platform Vassal runs without issues in FatDog (requires Java):

https://vassalengine.org/download.html

However, starting the program is a bit clunky. Once you have extracted the program folder, you would run vassal.sh from inside that folder in the terminal.

Is there a way to create a menu entry for Vassal, so that it can be started from the menu without having to open a terminal window?

Thanks for your feedback! :thumbup:

step

Re: Vassal Menu Entry ?

Post by step »

You could add a .desktop file for vassal under /usr/share/applications. It's standard Linux practice; search the forum or the net for tutorials on writing a Freedesktop .desktop file.

Flash

Re: How to make a Menu entry for Vassal?

Post by Flash »

This may or may not work, but it's easy to try. It assumes you're using ROX filer.

• 1 Right-click the Vassal folder
    2 Choose Permissions, then the Yes button. This makes the folder executable. If there's a gear-shaped icon in the folder, do the same to it.
    3 Click on the folder or the gear icon in the folder to see if the program starts.
    4 If the program starts, you can drag the folder or the gear icon to the desktop to create a link. Clicking the link on the desktop will start the program.

Chaos coordinator :?
Flash

Post by Flash »

@Neo_78, did that work?

Chaos coordinator :?
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I just started discovering Vassal.........I was gifted on Christmas many many moons ago the Avalon Hill game "Afrika Korps" which I have played since I was 12 trying to win the campaign as the German commander. And looking at this topic discovered that this game is on this platform!

I played often my Dad and some times one of his engineer colleagues from work designing and building gas turbine engines (my Dad was a chief engineer designing and building the Lycoming AGT1500 turbine (now called Honeywell) for the M1 Abrams main battle tank.) So suddenly have a reason to load Java in F96-CE_4.

Does the menu entry need to start a particular game in Vassal on start?

Screenshot(84).jpg
Screenshot(84).jpg (59.04 KiB) Viewed 341 times

Return to “FatDog”