WireGuard enabled kernel 5.7.16

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

allendiggity

WireGuard enabled kernel 5.7.16

Post by allendiggity »

This is a WireGuard enabled kernel 5.7.16 that I compiled with Woof-CE for use with Barry’s EasyOS, but it works fine with Fossapup, so thought I’d share it here.

https://app.box.com/s/7uhdptmryt27r38j7kyajymrjdbf032r
95cf1da6ebddcb7f200c812edd21da29 Fossa-5-7-16.tar.gz md5sum

df9bf8be2f2927cd594e2609a65406890f6deed44a1d2ad816a99c4792c0a012 Fossa-5-7-16.tar.gz sha256sum
Workflow:

Download and untar the archive.

Put Fossa-5-7-16/linux-kernel-5.7.16-easy/lib/modules/5.7.16 in /lib/modules.

Replace vmlinuz with Fossa-5-7-16/vmlinuz (backup the original if you wish)

Reboot and make sure that works.

Install resolvconf using PPM. Doing that broke DNS resolution for me, as rebooting would result in an empty /etc/resolv.conf.
To fix that, I created the following script and placed it in the Startup directory:
#!/bin/sh

rm /etc/resolv.conf
ln -s /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
Install wireguard-tools using PPM.

Almost there. The only problem now is that the wg-quick script in /usr/bin calls iptables-restore, but in Fossapup 9.5, we have iptables-legacy-restore in /usr/sbin, which is a symlink to xtables-legacy-multi.

There are at least two solutions: I made a copy of wg-quick and changed the two occurrences of iptables-restore to iptables-legacy-restore. You could alternatively create a copy of the symlink iptables-legacy-restore named iptables-restore in /usr/sbin.

Put your config file in /etc/wireguard, say it’s London.conf

Doing wg-quick up London should establish the link. wg-quick down London should remove it.

Instructions on how to compile this kernel are posted over on the EasyOS forum for those who prefer to roll their own:

https://easyos.org/forum/showthread.php ... 684#pid684
mikeslr

Re: WireGuard enabled kernel 5.7.16

Post by mikeslr »

Hi allendiggity,

Thanks for the kernel and the instructions. And forgive me for 'looking a gift horse in the mouth'.

I was of the impression that drivers are 'kernel specific' =vmlinuz-specific. Your package contains a vmlinuz, and an occupied /lib/modules folder but neither a zdrv.sfs. or a kernel-modules.sfs --the latter being the usual naming format for zdrv.sfs in 'Hugh-Kernel' packages. Is the /lib/modules with its content a replacement? or is the zdrv.sfs from the 'stock' fossapup64 to be used in addition?

Return to “Fossapup64”