Average forum topic

Ideas and discussion

dimkr

Re: Average forum topic

Post by dimkr »

Clarity wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:04 am

Maybe its best to just let this thread go dormant.

Don't you prefer to leave this fun discussion with known-to-work Samba installation instructions?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

dimkr wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:29 pm
Clarity wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:04 am

Maybe its best to just let this thread go dormant.

Don't you prefer to leave this fun discussion with known-to-work Samba installation instructions?

Must say the Samba dance is interesting me more and more, I'm thinking of taking up ballroom dancing. Would love to do the samba, tango, etc. reckon it's cool.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Grey wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:03 pm

:idea: And at this time in the commentary booth of the stadium:
We are conducting our today's report from the Forum Championship on... combat SambA sports Sambo.
So, @dimkr, with the help of social engineering methods studied at work, managed to lure @Clarity into a separate topic on the edge of the forum stadium. Excellent technique, the first four posts consisting of one word, dimkr is at the peak of his athletic form.

But Clarity has a secret weapon and it's natural stubbornness. A good attempt to throw the opponent through the thigh on the wrestling mat with the help of several powerful posts with a lot of arguments.

Oh, the end of the first half. I'll see you in the second half when the teams rest. Where is the buffet and pies with tea?!

Now the second half is in full flow ! @dimkr has challenged @Clarity to bite the bullet: "Don't you prefer to leave this fun discussion with known-to-work Samba installation instructions?"
Very exiting to see next what tactics @Clarity has left over to defend, we will know soon !.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Hold your horses, I want to see if all the posts and replies about Samba, Ventoy, etc' are meant to create noise to put pressure on contributors to change this or that in Puppy, or just ... umm ... meant to create noise. Sometimes people discuss something with an action item in mind, and sometimes they don't.

Grey

Post by Grey »

amethyst wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:33 pm

Would love to do the samba, tango, etc. reckon it's cool.

When you start learning Rumba & Cha-cha-cha... don't forget to share your impressions :)

Oh, to continue, yesterday I watched a Belarusian film about a shepherd dog named Rumba, who was looking for mines & explosives during World War II.

& yes... if someone is going to make a fork of Samba for Puppy, then it should be called Rumba or Cha-cha-cha :D

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

geo_c wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:12 pm

Since this is one of those topics where people are just talking freely more or less, I feel like thinking out loud.............

But do we really want guys like me trying to build OS's and possibly sharing them with a wider community?

YES

One way foreward would be to start with an automated Vanilla build and remaster. If I am correct, Dima has kept it minimal so that others would have a solid base to work with.
Rebrand your remaster as you work out the woof scripts for your own. Hopefully, your choices can be additive and not subtractive enough to break Dimas updates/security

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Do that! Every developer and every contributor makes us stronger.

I'd recommend building your own Puppy with woof-CE directly, rather than remastering an existing Puppy.

It's 100% automated, you can do this from a slow computer and all you need is a browser. If you try both options (remastering and building from scratch) you'll see that the second option is easier and produces much cleaner results and can be repeated more easily.

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ub-actions
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ibutor-101
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... -on-GitHub

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

dimkr wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:02 pm

Do that! Every developer and every contributor makes us stronger.

I'd recommend building your own Puppy with woof-CE directly, rather than remastering an existing Puppy.

It's 100% automated, you can do this from a slow computer and all you need is a browser. If you try both options (remastering and building from scratch) you'll see that the second option is easier and produces much cleaner results and can be repeated more easily.

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ub-actions
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ibutor-101
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... -on-GitHub

All right when June hits, my teaching schedule slows down, and I get creative. I'm gonna build at least one puppy I can call my own.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

NONE of the WoofCE process instructions produces an OOTB effort that includes SAMBA.

Maybe now its understood that it does NOT address the ELEPHANT in the room.

SAMBA is an OFFICIAL PUP as FossaPUP64 is also considered one. EASY is an OFFICIAL forum distro on distrowatch as is FATDOG. These 'officials' no matter the under the hood efforts needed to create the officials, have what might be considered consistent packages areas included in these OOTB distros. These official embrace 'smb' in their scope as it have become 'traditional" in its packaging. As well as other OOTB packaging for Office, Multimedia, etc. This traditional packaging makes forum distros competitive with most every desktop mainline operating systems (superior in my view for several reasons). As well, thanks to this traditional packaging, any user can move from forum distro to forum distro with knowledge of similar package areas built-in for immediate use, OOTB. There's no need for thought, just use it as the standard stuff is there, built-in.

As @dimkr own words indicate, his OFFICIAL will not address smb technology, OOTB.

THusly his WoofCE efforts do not address it either. To get smb in the bulds, one must step outside of the WoofCE process, then step back in.

But, his actions tells me, he is moving to change what has become the traditional expectation of an OOTB experience. Thusly this action starts a redefinition of content of a traditional PUP. No matter which process of building a user uses.

As is said in the West "My WAY or the Highway" as is exemplified by comments made on the thread. Raise awareness of something he doesn't like and "ire" results.

This thread was opened in several one-word posts. Then it leads us from there.

This thread, IMHO, is NOT about SAMBA in his mind, as I observe.

I hope I am wrong in his behavior, but, this thread shows ...

Last edited by Clarity on Fri May 12, 2023 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grey

Post by Grey »

fredx181 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:39 pm

Now the second half is in full flow !

Since the "report" was on page seven, I thought that the second half would come at about 14 :) But it looks like you're right :welcome:
I would start taking bets... but we have all the payment cards turned off here :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Clarity wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:34 pm

But, his actions tells me, he is moving to change what has become the traditional expectation of an OOTB experience. Thusly this action starts a redefinition of content of a traditional PUP.

@Thustly is where you are jumping to conclusions
the craftsmans tools do not define the Architect

peebee

Post by peebee »

NONE of the WoofCE process instructions produces an OOTB effort that includes SAMBA.

Incorrect:
S15Pup is the latest official pup and has:
yes|samba||exe,dev,doc
in
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... are64-15.0
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... kware-15.0

[EDITED]But for this to "work" there does need to be a samba.pet located in one of the repositories used in the build - in S15Pup case this is:
https://www.smokey01.com/peebee/slackoc ... -s15pup64/
https://www.smokey01.com/peebee/slackoc ... es-s15pup/

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Thanks @peebee.

I remember your work, of this, from a little while ago.

Here you are definitive in helping identify method for OOTB inclusion via the WoofCE build, if I understand your post.

You HAVE been helpful over the years, TREMENDOUSLY to all of us.

I continue to admire your efforts :!:, knowledge of WoofCE, PUPs, ... and YOUR creativity(s).

Maybe this feature extends to all of the WoofCE generative abilities.

Thanks for showing.

P.S. In my current review of several Slackware64 v15 forum distros, I ran across a consistent minor boot-time issue. I will report on your thread as I get closer to specifics as it might be an across the board issue.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

But, his actions tells me

What actions? Please show us one woof-CE change that supports any of your statements.

I'll get some popcorn.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

As @dimkr own words indicate, his OFFICIAL will not address smb technology, OOTB.

... And what does this mean? I never built an 'official' Puppy and don't intend to do so. Where did I say anything about my non-existing creation?

If you're talking about my dpup builds, I even made apt install samba smbclient work, to 'address smb technology'. Did you try this?

If you have more false statements and wood-CE conspiracies to share, go ahead.

EDIT:

samba1.png
samba1.png (43.21 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
samba2.png
samba2.png (64.5 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Thanks for your help :?

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

To clarify, does that mean that working Samba installation instructions are not good enough and you want somebody with woof-CE commit access to force preinstalled Samba in any woof-CE build?

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Wow!

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

Why did clarity change name from gcmartin? Why did dimkr change name from Iguleder? I have my thoughts about it ... trying to keep open, closing doors, or trying to close doors too restricted ...

When I first saw this thread open, I knew someone was pissed off! I thought to enquire, but refrained! My instinct was to make light of the 'archaic' theme/s. I sensed a certain amount of fatigue! Someone being slowly worn down along one edge of their shield! What would drive someone to do that to an alpha developer?? Madness? Stupidity? Evil? The ungodly trilogy ... hmm ...

I got caught up in my own magnificent development cycle! Then I noticed the thread had bloated to 11 replies ... omg! What words were being minced? I had to know, and so i read all of them! Well ... not actually all of them ... I skipped some that I felt would numb my brain, anaesthetise my senses, blunt my sharp insight, and seek to reduce my wit to that of an American.... :lol: ....just kidding. "The Devil is subtle, oh so subtle", "yes" ... "Have you met him?" .... "Yes, once or thrice!"..... "Seemed pleasant enough, quite lawful apparently! It's surprising how lawful he is. He always wants to help, apparently!"

I used samba once or twice, I forget why, now I remember, I was coerced to add it to a distro I built on woof-ce, one of several. I myself never used it again! It's antiquated .... better build a proprietary tool using scp in my opinion, or try the new SimpleHTTPSServer.py revealed recently. OR even better, use a large capacity USB-C drive, it's almost guaranteed to work as long as it's biggest partition is not anything other than NTFS.

Woof-CE - needs re-doing from scratch! Too many bits'n'pieces to fiddle about with! One unified automated script that does everything, done with faster, more efficient, simpler code, and versatile enough to take any mainstream distro, like Fedora, and turn it into a beautiful little puppy with wings!! That's what I REALLY think. But I don't really know much about it, just a hunch.

Is FatDog the natural successor to Puppy? It's a bit long in the tooth these days, an old boy! For those retiring! It's time for an up to date spin off; FartDog, or FatBitch, more edgy! I know not which name causes most unrest, but that will be the choice! It's my daily driver! It's raw power ... a real hunting dog! A bit unruly! But it's too much to master! "Do you want to shut down now?" , "Yes, that's what I want!". "OK, We'll shut you down" .... "Ok, we're shutting you down now. Click ok to proceed?", "OK", "You clicked OK, Is that right? Click OK to continue!", "OK", "You clicked OK, So we are really going to shutdown now, OK?", "OK", "Shutting Down!". "are you sure you don't want a reminder of this reminder?", "I'm sure!", "OK!", "... FFS how many popups?"

Why isn't Easy considered the successor .... it's innovative, versatile, smallish, and when it goes wrong you'll never figure it out!!! That is it's a tinkerers paradise!

For me the underlying system supports what you want or need to do with it! So it's the software that I use which is most important. And everyone knows homegrown is the best!

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

stemsee wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:01 pm

Why did dimkr change name from Iguleder?

I've been inactive in the (old) forum for years, and chose the username I use in other places when I decided to join the new forum.

Woof-CE - needs re-doing from scratch!

I agree, woof-CE is a pile of old and badly written code. Plus, it's strongly tied to JWM, ROX-Filer and X.Org. It's possible to build a Wayland-native Puppy with woof-CE but some woof-CE users get upset when they hear the idea of changing the "status quo" by converting JWM or X.Org specific tools and "traditional" things like PPM into optional components.

Here are some great examples of years-old lines that never worked (and we have many more):

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/3824
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/3475
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/3443
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... r968125291
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... r790516809

And we have many years-old bugs like https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/3867 (probably introduced around 2006, fixed not long ago).

My plan is to start writing a "mini-woof" after the Vanilla Dpup 10.0.0 release: continue building 10.0.1, 10.0.2, etc' using the same stable woof-CE branch and backport critical fixes when needed, but develop something based on debootstrap plus a super tiny subset of woof-CE (no xorgwizard, no PPM, no ROX-Filer hacks like defaultbrowser, ...), for use in Vanilla Dpup 11.0.0.

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

Why isn't Easy considered the successor .... it's innovative, versatile, smallish, and when it goes wrong you'll never figure it out!!! That is it's a tinkerers paradise!

Because the author of EasyOS emphatically and explicitly says that EasyOS is __NOT__ Puppy.

Is FatDog the natural successor to Puppy?

EDIT-ed comment (original deleted).
Puppy is well and alive, so I think we shouldn't talk about the "successor" to Puppy.
We should instead talk about how to improve Puppy (by improving Woof-CE).

"Do you want to shut down now?" , "Yes, that's what I want!". "OK, We'll shut you down" .... "Ok, we're shutting you down now. Click ok to proceed?", "OK", "You clicked OK, Is that right? Click OK to continue!", "OK", "You clicked OK, So we are really going to shutdown now, OK?", "OK", "Shutting Down!". "are you sure you don't want a reminder of this reminder?", "I'm sure!", "OK!", "... FFS how many popups?"

You obviously never worked with a keyboard layout like below.
If you do, you will thank me for how often that "annoying popups" save you from losing your work.

Attachments
keyboard.jpeg
keyboard.jpeg (109.96 KiB) Viewed 4351 times
stemsee

Post by stemsee »

My laptop power button is in exactly the same place! And yes, I press it accidentally often! I'm just having a little satirical rant! Minor, very minor, niggles which I can remedy myself. :lol:

Return to “Forum Organization & Structure Council”