Un-Googled Chromium 'portable' - now at v112.0.5615.169 (includes manual updater from Fred...)

Moderator: Forum moderators

Grey

Re: Un-Googled Chromium 'portable' - now at v97.0.4692.71

Post by Grey »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:04 pm

v97.0.4692.71

There is a new graphic feature in this version. When entering chrome://gpu/, the Video Encode function is detected (decoding has been a long time ago). Yes, hardware acceleration of video encoding :) I even managed to turn it on after the third attempt :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Marv

Post by Marv »

@mikewalsh, I Just got time to bump from the v96.0.4664.110 portable to the v97.0.4692.71 portable. Slightly modified LAUNCH to use my shared spot directory, nothing else needed to be done for voidpup64 and I'm sure fossapup64. Again, slick and smooth. I did add in the libs for the slackware derivs but I'll be shocked if it runs there as nothing since v91 has.

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

Grey

Post by Grey »

Huh, in version 98.0.4758.80, the Direct Rendering Display Compositor function has appeared (in chrome://gpu/). But I could not turn it on, although I searched all the parameters in chrome://flags/ :?

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Right, gang.

Since Grey's drawn my attention to the new release from 'Marmaduke', here's the new Puppy-portable build of Ungoogled Chromium v98.0.4758.80. Which puts us back "on par" with Chrome, once again.

As always, running as smooth as so much oiled silk. No issues to report, at present.

You can find it at the usual link in post #1.

-------------------------------------

Usual instructions apply:- D'l; unzip; move the portable anywhere you like, though preferably outside the 'save'. Click to enter, click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up.

A Menu entry can be added if required. The 'MenuReadMe' explains how to accomplish this.

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Marv

Post by Marv »

Thanks Mike,

Downloaded, unzipped, my tweaked launcher added, and put to work in VoidPup64. As you say, "oiled silk".

Cheers,

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

mikewalsh

Re: Un-Googled Chromium 'portable' - now at v99.0.4844.84

Post by mikewalsh »

Okey-dokey, gang. It's new release time again.

"Marmaduke" appears to have been taking a breather for a few weeks. I can't say as I blame him in the slightest; he's been so remarkably consistent with his quality builds that I think we can forgive a short break.

The Puppy-portable build of Ungoogled Chromium is now available for download. We're at v99.0.4844.84.

-----------------------------------

Really nothing to add. The Chromium Project has been quiet in terms of major "feature release" for a wee while now, and have instead been concentrating on tidying-up, & generally making the browser as smooth, reliable and stable as they can. And it shows, because all the recent 'clone' builds have been pretty rock-solid, too. It definitely helps to have a solid foundation to build upon!

Widevine is included, as usual, along with VAAPI hardware decoder support, if you can use it.....this depends very much on individual hardware.

As always; d/l - unzip - move the portable directory anywhere you like, preferably outside the 'save'. Click to enter, click 'LAUNCH' to fire-up as a 'portable'. Scripts permit adding/removing a Menu entry if one is wanted.

Have fun!

Mike. ;)

Marv

Post by Marv »

Got it Mike, and thanks! Downloaded, checksum checked, extracted it and added my slightly modified launcher to point to my shared spot profile and it's good to go. About as fast to do as typing this. Posting from it in the most recent VoidPup64 (22.02 +3) now.

Cheers,

Grey

Post by Grey »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:28 pm

We're at v99.0.4844.84.

Today (in some places already yesterday :) ) the 100th anniversary version from Marmaduke was released (100.0.4896.75). She (version) probably "got on the bus a few seconds before you ran out into the street" ;)

I tried it out. To be honest, there is nothing extraordinary there. It seems that the Raw Draw (if enabled in flags) function has become better and does not turn the text in blogs "into jelly".

mikewalsh

Re: Un-Googled Chromium 'portable' - now at v100.0.4896.75

Post by mikewalsh »

@Grey :-

Aye, you're quite right. I must have just "missed the boat" on that one. So....

Here, then, is the Puppy-portable package of v100.0.4896.75. Available from the usual link in post #1.

Sorry for the rapid 'upgrade', guys, but it does mean we're back to level pegging with Chrome again.

-------------------------------------------------

As always; d/l - unzip - move the portable anywhere you like, preferably outside the 'save'. Click to enter, click 'LAUNCH' to run it as a portable. Scripts let you add/remove a Menu entry, should you want one.

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Re: Un-Googled Chromium 'portable' - now at v101.0.4951.41

Post by mikewalsh »

Morning, gang.

It's that time of the month; new release time again. Released 4 days ago, we're now at v101.0.4951.41.....where Chrome was up until yesterday morning.

Download link in the usual place - post #1. Cheers, Marmaduke!

Enjoy, y'all.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Re: Un-Googled Chromium 'portable' - now at v101.0.4951.54

Post by mikewalsh »

.....and another update. This brings us to v101.0.4951.54; temporary "level-pegging" with Chrome once more.

Still silky-smooth; "Marmaduke" has done his usual marvellous job with these. Thanks, mate!

Download link in post #1.

As always:-

• Download

• Unzip

• Move the portable directory anywhere you like outside the 'save'

• Click to enter

• Click on the 'LAUNCH' script to run totally in portable mode. Scripts allow greater system integration by allowing the addition/removal of a Menu entry, if desired.

Have fun, y'all. Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Re: Un-Googled Chromium 'portable' - now at v101.0.4951.64

Post by mikewalsh »

Sorry, gang. Yet another update has come down the tubes, so here's v101.0.4951.64 in 'portable' format.

Smooth as ever. Download link in post #1.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

wiak

Post by wiak »

What user does this run as, spot or root or ...?

I am a fan of Chromium more generally but always have that issue to deal with. I tend to run as normal user to avoid --no-sandbox issues such as are stated here: https://no-sandbox.io/

How come Firefox doesn't need to be run in a sandbox but Chromium-related browsers (and seemingly Electron apps) do, or am I wrong about that (I'm just a browser user and don't pay much attention to their implementation).

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

user1111

Post by user1111 »

Looks to me like chrome sandboxes each tab separately, whilst firefox doesn't

When I run chrome and switch to another tab whilst playing a youtube video, the tab with the video halts video updates, still hear the sound, but as the video isn't visible its 'turned off'. With firefox, at least for firefox-esr that's not the case.

When for instance I vnc to another box and forward both sound and video for firefox-esr to my laptop, even with the youtube not visible my laptops cpu is warm, 10% type usage. If I open another tab to say this forum then the cpu does drop to near 0%. With chrome that sort of cpu processing reduction seems to be automated, with firefox I have to remember to do that. I tend to play youtubes for background music, boot laptop, vnc to server, start firefox and open a youtube - and have to remember to open a new tab in firefox-esr - otherwise that uses more laptop cpu, drains the battery quicker and I guess (haven't actually looked) uses more LAN bandwidth.

At least that's the case for OpenBSD on both laptop and server (which IME is far far easier to set up for networking/sound-forwarding/wifi connecting etc. i.e. to tether its just a matter of attaching the usb cable and running dhclient urndis0, whilst for sound forwarding its just a case of running rcctl sndiod flags -L- on the laptop (once) and thereafter on the server just redirect its sound to the remote (laptop) device exporting AUDIODEVICE=snd@192.168.1.10/0 ... or whatever IP of the laptop/device that you want to have to sound actually played).

I have jwm running on both laptop and server here, image snapped from the laptop with its htop running/showing in the bottom right corner (around 5% cpu usage). That's whilst typing this via vnc to the server where firefox-esr is running and also playing a youtube/music with the sound forwarded back to the laptops headphones/speaker. Laptop is much cooler/battery last longer etc. than if I were running firefox and playing a youtube directly on the laptop.

img.jpg
img.jpg (168.62 KiB) Viewed 1861 times

If I closed the puppy forum tab and just left the youtube tab then even when not visible the cpu load increases to 15% to 20%+ type cpu usage in the case of firefox.

I'd imagine its a significant difference between how chrome and firefox code things (apply separation/isolation). A negative for me is that chromes isolation combined with OpenBSD's security measures make firefox the better choice for speed. I even disable pledge and unveil for firefox, as my server is a Puppy style, boots clean at each reboot type setup.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@wiak :-

It's a bit of a mish-mash, Will. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

Ungoogled Chromium runs as user 'spot'. Now; at one time, we were able to run all Chromium 'clones' as 'root', because of the "--no-sandbox" switch. Some are still quite happy to run like this, although the coding changed ever so slightly.

The "--no-sandbox" switch is still in the code-base. However, on certain projects - Google's Chrome, 'vanilla' Chromium, Ungoogled Chromium, and, I think, Brave - who develop their browsers primarily with mainstream, multi-user distros in mind, their respective devs have deprecated the use of this switch. It's still possible to run as 'root', but you now have to employ the "--test-type" switch instead.....and, as you may recall from a while back, the use of "--test-type" precludes a certain amount of Google functionality; many things will no longer sign-in correctly. Stuff like that.

viewtopic.php?p=699#p699

(Read the linked post, and the few immediately following.....which includes your own observations).

So; with browsers where they behave better under user 'spot', that's how I set them up to run. In other instances, where running as 'root' doesn't impede that above-mentioned functionality - like Slimjet; Iron, & Vivaldi - those browsers are set to run as 'root' with the "--no-sandbox" parameter.

----------------------------------------

'Zilla-based browsers, of course - with very few exceptions - have NEVER had an issue with running as 'root'. One of those rare exceptions being the LibreWolf project, where the project's aim is that of ultra-high security.....and traditional Linux/Unix wisdom states that running as 'root' is oh! SO dangerous. :roll:

https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2010/01 ... -not-root/

(I know his comments fly in the face of all that's considered sacred & holy by many....but he does have a point. Of course, in a multi-user environment, separating users from the system, AND each other, makes perfect sense from a security standpoint.....the consequences of each user's online activities (which is where most crap comes into the system) CANNOT impinge on any one else, OR the system that they're running on. I certainly won't deny the logic of that.)

But in our case - Puppy's case - where by design the system is that of a single-user one, I feel that 'spot' suffices for those use-cases where restricted-permission user access is mandated. Ruffers is probably right about the 'tab-sandboxing' thing; if every tab runs individually to every other, it is by design a higher-security model than one where this is not the case. This was doubtless what Chrome's designers originally had in mind back in the initial development phase all those years ago.

For anyone wanting to run 'zilla browsers as user 'spot', in addition to the in-built 'spot'-chooser mechanism, I also published some modified 'LAUNCH' scripts for the Firefox 'portables'. These are just a straight, drop-in replacement for the standard ones.

viewtopic.php?p=55087#p55087

Mike. ;)

xenial

Post by xenial »

Nice browser.
I had some space on a usb so i put upup focal fossa on there and am using ungoogled chromium now.Runs very well. :thumbup:

mikewalsh

Re: Un-Googled Chromium 'portable' - now at v102.0.5005.63

Post by mikewalsh »

Morning, gang. New release time again, so here's Ungoogled_Chromium v102.0.5005.63 in Puppy 'portable' format for y'all.

--------------------------------------------

Smooth as silk as always, and full of 'Marmaduke's' goodness, including Widevine DRM and GPU hardware acceleration if wanted.

Download available from the usual location in post #1.

-------------------------------------------

As usual:-

• Download

• Unzip

• Move the portable directory anywhere you like, though preferably outside the 'save'

• Click to enter

• Click 'LAUNCH' to run purely AS a portable. Scripts allow adding a MenuEntry - if required - for greater system integration

The final selector at shutdown allows clearing of the cache, if required, since Ungoogled_Chromium cannot do this if left to its own devices (thanks Marv!)

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

Marv

Post by Marv »

Thanks Mike, downloaded, md5sum checked, extracted and put in my 'portables' directory. Imported my bookmarks from the previous version and it's up and running happily in the current VoidPup64 and I'm sure it will in fossapup64. As usual I have added a couple of libs for slacko derivs in the lib directory but haven't tried it yet in any of my 64b slacko derivs. I'll post my shock if it runs there as nothing since v91 has.

Cheers,

xenial

Post by xenial »

Thanks for this portable.
Runs beautifully on my fossapup64 install,,in fact runs better than brave.

mikewalsh

Re: Un-Googled Chromium 'portable' - now at v103.0.5060.68

Post by mikewalsh »

Right, gang.

Marmaduke has been "at it" again, so.....here is v103.0.5060.68, in Puppy-portable format. This was released 8 days ago.

Everything as expected; a silky-smooth experience all round. With the move to v103, this is now the end of the line for running Chromium browsers in Tahrpup64.....absolutely everything is too old, and the main shared library that contains the bulk of the browser itself now returns a "symbol lookup error", of a type I've not seen before:-

Code: Select all

: undefined symbol: drmGetNodeTypeFromFd

.....doubtless due to another "upgrade" in the build environment. TBH, with most clones now based on v103, this error is coming up in all of them when attempting to run under Tahr64, so.....I'm afraid, guys, ya gotta upgrade to a newer Puppy if you're still running Uncle Phil's first-ever 64-bit Pup. Realistically, we now have to set Xenialpup64 as the absolute base-line to 'natively' run current Chromium-based 'clones'.

(Either that, or run, say, a Bionic or Fossa 'chroot'.....and run 'em in that. This arrangement is how I'm now running current 'clones' in Quirky64 April 7.0.1.....all thanks to watchdog, who first publicised the idea when Darry and I, and a few others, were playing around with Darry's 4.3.1-based "4.3.11 'Phoenix'", a few years back. It was how we got a modern PaleMoon to run in the 'Phoenix', and where I got the inspiration to build a self-contained 'chroot with built-in browser' as a standalone package.)

-------------------------------------------------------

The download is, as usual, at the link in post #1. As always:-

• Download

• Unzip

• Move the resulting portable directory anywhere you want, though preferably outside the 'save'

• Click to enter

• Click 'LAUNCH' to run it entirely as a 'portable'. Or, for greater system integration and ease-of-use, scripts will add or remove a Menu entry from the portable's location...

Posting from it now. Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

@mikewalsh

Just to clarify, I downloaded from the link in the first post, you had two different uploads, one done on July 3rd, and one on July 4th. I chose the one from July 4th. The browser about page reports it as Version 102.0.5005.63 (Official Build, ungoogled-chromium) (64-bit)

It seemed like the last download I did (v102) also reported one version behind (v101)

Maybe I'm confused. It happens a lot.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@geo_c :-

Heh. More likely me than you, mate.

I maintain so many packages, I lose track sometimes of just where I am with 'em. Added to which, two of my Pups run the MEGA 'sync' client.....meaning I sometimes end up with two or more versions of some things, depending on when I boot into them, and how often.

I don't have a set schedule for checking for updates, or owt like that. Stuff gets updated as & when I think about it...! :D

I DO do my best, old son. Scout's honour! :lol: :lol:

(EDIT:- I can see what's happened here. I'm beginning to switch over to tar.xz compression, rather than tar.gz. I forgot to delete the old ones, and because the file names were slightly different - only by one single letter! - they both remained.)

Mike. ;)

xenial

Post by xenial »

@mike walsh@
To ease the strain on your good self maybe a tutorial on how to produce your portables could be considered as a sticky for the board. ;) .

Your work is always appreciated. :thumbup:

Marv

Post by Marv »

Thanks again Mike,

Running OOTB on my current install of voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv, version correct here. I then added the libs for the LxPupSc64 22.02 +2 slackware deriv and had a go there. No complaints on the libs but fusermount failed on the appimage so I extracted the appimage and repackaged exactly as in your v102 and prior ungoogled portables.

:o :o :shock: :shock: :D It runs -the first ungoogled portable since v91 that has on the LxPupSc64 install- so I no longer have to carry v91 separately for that pup. More :D

In my rather highly modified fossapup64 9.5, (LXDE and almost all my additions in ydrv, small savefile for small changes) the fusermount also failed but the repackaged version 103.0.5060.68 runs fine. I'm going to go with that for now as it satisfies all my pups. Both fuse packages that failed seemed correct and all there on a cursory look but I haven't gone beyond that or checked pristine boots as yet.

All good -no, great- here,

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@xenial :-

xenial wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:35 pm

@mike walsh@
To ease the strain on your good self maybe a tutorial on how to produce your portables could be considered as a sticky for the board. ;) .

Your work is always appreciated. :thumbup:

Actually, that might not be a bad idea for the browsers, since they DO need updating on such a regular basis. I can keep on top of everything else I produce, for sure. Why should I be the ONLY one wasting their bandwidth..? :D :lol: :lol:

I could produce a kind of 'general' template, although some 'tweaks' are obviously going to be browser-specific. Chrome & Iron have their updaters included, but for the others.....yeah, could do, could do.

Leave it with me. I'll mull this one over....but do be aware, it's not quite as straight-forward as you might think. Obtaining the packages in the first place has been a good half of the battle! Not everybody makes their packages easy to get hold of; Brave are a case in point. Although they maintain extensive listings over at GitHub, these are mostly the Nightly, Dev & Beta builds. You CAN find occasional release builds amongst them, but they're few and far between......and more often than not, are either Windoze .exe or Android .apk builds (but NOT Linux). Their dev team prefer to make the browser available either via Snaps or Flatpaks, OR through specifically-added repos that are then "managed" by your package manager.

Instructions for every browser I cover could turn out to be quite detailed & complicated.... :shock:

Mike. ;)

Marv

Post by Marv »

In a sense, the portables themselves with their LAUNCH scripts are pretty good templates :?: I took a look at what I have to add to the $HERE/lib file for the current LxPupSc64 and it is only libpng12.so.0 so there would be very little overhead adding it into that lib directory. What I use is attached as a tar.gz.

Cheers,

Attachments
libpng12.so.0.tar.gz
additional libs required for the current LxPupSc64
(69.05 KiB) Downloaded 71 times

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Marv /@xenial :-

TBH, Ungoogled_Chromium is now perhaps the easiest of the lot to update.

With this most recent build, I've now moved to using the AppImage "Marmaduke" provides. Sure, it's a bit bigger.....but Marmaduke constructs his AppImages properly, unlike many providers. Updating UgC is as simple as :-

• Downloading the AppImage.

• Renaming it to match the one in the portable directory - make sure to remove the .AppImage as well; this makes no difference to AppImages, because it's the act of clicking on the outer 'container' that transfers the executable action to the AppRun script within. Exactly the same as a RoxApp.

• Giving it executable permissions - in most Pups, rt-clk->Properties, check all three Exec boxes down the bottom->Refresh->Close.

Then, just swap 'em over. That's all there is to it!

The download link for Marmaduke's builds can be found here:-

https://github.com/macchrome/linchrome/releases

.....and invariably, you want the first one at the top of the listings. This will be the newest build.

just follow the steps outlined above, and you'll very soon have yourself the most up-to-date version.

Mike. ;)

xenial

Post by xenial »

I am getting fusemount errors when attempting update...i will confess it was not the method of yours mike.i downloaded and extracted but received errors when attempting to start..
could be my inexperience.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

xenial wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:22 pm

I am getting fusemount errors when attempting update...i will confess it was not the method of yours mike.i downloaded and extracted but received errors when attempting to start..
could be my inexperience.

@xenial :-

Try this:-

After moving the renamed AppImage into the portable directory, replacing the previous one, rt-clk in an empty space->Window->Terminal here. Type in

Code: Select all

chown -R spot:spot ./UgC64

....and hit enter. This is giving UgC64 (the AppImage) spot permissions before you run it, though strictly speaking this shouldn't be necessary, because the script re-chowns everything that needs it before firing up.

If others are having this problem, I can return to using the tarballed directory instead.

Or are you talking about downloading/extracting the portable itself from MEGA?

Mike. ;)

xenial

Post by xenial »

Sorry mike it isn't firing up..
Could be me not doing it right.
I download your portable and usually i just transfer my profile over to the new portable directory..
other appimages usually work although i don't use many.....

Not a massive issue as chromium will last months or even years without an update..
Your brave portable updated a treat.

Return to “Browsers and Internet”