F96-CE_1 with 6.0.12-FP Kernel Stable Release

Moderator: Forum moderators

thinkpadfreak

Re: F96-CE with 6.0.12-FP Kernel Stable Release

Post by thinkpadfreak »

@radky
@dimkr

I newly created a save file, and repeated booting to see if those issues persist.

Surely the volume of sound is not saved. But I haven't been able to reproduce the issue of the hwclock setting.
When I booted with the former save file and rebooted into another puppy, the clock needed to be adjusted.
So it is conceivable that I may have done something wrong to the former save file, though I don't remember doing anything related to the hwclock setting.

I feel sorry to have made a fuss.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

I looked at quicksetup and I don't really see a problem in this area. The change to UTC or back to localtime seems to work fine. Hope I'm testing the right thing and understand the problem correctly.

@thinkpadfreak Vanilla Dpup 9.2.x has a bug that causes it to change the system clock, if that's one of the Puppies you're using, it can definitely cause this kind of issues.

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

thinkpadfreak wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:52 am

I haven't been able to reproduce the issue of the hwclock setting.

I didn't set up the Internet connection when I tested with the newly created save file. I connected to the Internet, and the issue of hwclock appeared!

Probably there is nothing wrong with quick setup, but I suspect that there might be some other program which acquires the time from the Internet and sets hwclock to utc.

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

thinkpadfreak wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:59 pm

I suspect that there might be some other program which acquires the time from the Internet and sets hwclock to utc.

It is connman.

I refered to information on the Internet, and modified /var/lib/connman/settings like this:

Code: Select all

[global]
OfflineMode=false
TimeUpdates=manual
TimezoneUpdates=manual

[WiFi]
Enable=true
Tethering=false

[Wired]
Enable=true
Tethering=false

This prevents the setting of hwclock from being changed automatically.
(Rebooting is necessary.)
Once the clock is adjusted manually, F96-CE doesn't affect other puppies' clock any more.

gychang

Post by gychang »

thanks for the iso. Will tinker around.

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: F96-CE_1 with 6.0.12-FP Kernel Stable Release

Post by rockedge »

F96-CE_1 is released! See first post for download link.

Changelog:

• Add Qualcomm Atheros firmware to fdrv (thanks dimkr)
• Add Bluetooth tutorial to Puppy Help Resources (thanks wizard)
• Add EFI directory and puppy.cer file to the root of the ISO to support the Unetbootin USB installer (thanks wizard)
• Add editable configuration file for pulseaudio (/root/.config/pulse/default.pa) to optionally set or override the default pulseaudio parameters.
• Adjust Bluetooth connectivity (thanks dimkr)
• Adjust Fossa Quickpet to exclude applications not supported by F96-CE (thanks bigpup)
• Adjust play of audio CDs by DeadBeef Music Player (thanks peebee)
• Adjust PPM support of puppy-fossa64-official package repository (thanks peebee)
• Disable Connman automatic updates of Time and Timezone. For users who prefer the original default auto-updates, go to /var/lib/connman/settings and delete the lines pertaining to TimeUpdates and TimezoneUpdates. (thanks thinkpadfreak)
• Update Connman Internet Connection Manger (as generated by the Woof-CE build of fossapup64 on 1 Feb 2023)
• Update 6.0.12 kernel to gcc 9.4.0 (thanks Rockedge)
• Update YASSM Samba Share Mounter to v4.5 (thanks rcrsn51)
• Update nicOS Package Extractor (thanks amethyst)
• Upgrade MPV Multimedia Player with feature and stability enhancements, and add the user-friendly Celluloid GUI (thanks Marv)
• Replace controversial Pale Moon Browser with Firefox-ESR Portable for improved internet access including compatibility with github, YouTube, Netflix, etc. (thanks mikewalsh) Note: For those who prefer a different browser, the Firefox-ESR portable application is self-contained and easily removed.
• The above updates and upgrades (mostly Firefox, MPV, extra firmware, and requisites for Unetbootin) add slightly to the ISO size.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Frugal install of F96-CE_1

Using the old save file from the install of F96-CE

So far the old save file seems to be working OK in this newer version.
All the old setup settings got used, (network connection, graphics, QuickSetup stuff, etc.......)
It used the Nvidia driver that was provided by the old save.

Firefox ESR settings has updates set to automatically update.
Usually browsers are setup to check for updates, but ask to actually do the update.

Not sure if this could cause issues before making a save.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

thinkpadfreak wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:16 am

I refered to information on the Internet, and modified /var/lib/connman/settings like this:

Thanks @thinkpadfreak, I'll test https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/3914 and merge it so future builds don't have this problem.

EDIT: @radky and @rockedge, I see connman-puppy is missing in PETBUILDS. If this petbuild is included and patchelf is present on the host used to run woof-CE, connmand is patched so it does not change the hardware clock, creating problems for those who hop between distros. Many users complained about this. As far as I see, the configuration change proposed by @thinkpadfreak is unneeded if connman-puppy is included. In addition, TimeUpdates=manual prevents connmand from adjusting both the software and hardware clocks, while connman-puppy makes connmand adjust the software clock, making time more accurate and preventing validation failures of HTTPS certificates (a good thing) but without touching the hardware clock (so it's a win-win).

Tahrbaby

Post by Tahrbaby »

rockedge wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:14 am

Thank you @rockedge

Tahrbaby

Post by Tahrbaby »

Bluetooth all working now.

Well done! :thumbup2:

Gnimmelf

Post by Gnimmelf »

Hi there

cannot make my main browser viewtopic.php?p=59662#p59662 Brave work?
it works in imppup viewtopic.php?t=4138

iron viewtopic.php?t=771 works but not google chrome?

why might that be?

kindly Gnimmelf

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I am downloading to test the Brave portable browser. Try to see what is going wrong to fix it.

UPDATE: I downloaded from the mega site and extracted Brave and placed it in /mnt/home
It started right up on the first attempt so I will have to try it out on some other F96-CE_1 systems!

Marv

Post by Marv »

F96-CE_1 booted perfectly in my custom ydrv savefile-less system. All settings preserved, no nits found as yet. I now have pulled firefox from the main SFS and resquashed. So far, great. Multimedia tests later.

My portable Brave, the most recent portable from @mikewalsh , extracted to a 'portables' directory on my external data directory (EXT2) and called from a .desktop in /usr/share/applications works flawlessly. Slimjet and un-googled chromium installed in like manner also. In some pups, launching from a .desktop with terminal=false will block launching if chromium -as is it's custom- wishes to put its debug/error messages in terminal. When that has occurred -not in FP96- a '>/dev/null 2>&1' at the end of the execute line in the launch script has gotten around that. Once, I also had a blocked launch when, if I recall correctly, the permissions of /home/spot were incorrect, not spot:spot. Worth a check if one of the chromium derivs won't launch.

Posting from Slimjet portable in F96-CE_1 now.
Update: This added posting in Brave in F96-CE_1.

Thanks,

Last edited by Marv on Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

keniv

Post by keniv »

rockedge wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:14 am

Thanks to all involved in producing this. I've made a manual frugal install on an hdd. Used the save file from F96-CE. Booted up right away. Had already setup both Palemoon and Firefox ESR portables on this savefile so had to change the default browser back to palemoon, however, give the discussion about palemoon, I may go back to Firefox ESR as the default. One reason I am keen on the new F96 xxx is the use of pulse audio. I have an interest in software defined radio (SDR) using a cheap Chinese USB dongle Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187 Wireless Adapter.
There are packages for GQRX, CubicSDR and Spektrum on this forum provided by forum member @Anacleto (not sure if he/she is still about). Spektrum is not an issue as it does not have sound but GQRX and CubicSDR do. GQRX could be got to work with apulse on FossaPup64 9.5 but CubicSDR did not work (no sound). GNURadio, GQRX and Cubic SDR all work perfectly in F96-CE_1. Don't think there are many on here interested in this stuff but I thought I'd give the fact that they were working a mention.
So far everything I've tried works. I will build a new clean save file just to make sure that there are no residues from the old one.

Regards,

Ken.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Gnimmelf / @rockedge :-

It sounds like a permissions issue to me. The Chrome- and Brave-portables both run as 'spot'; Iron runs as root with '--no-sandbox'.

Even so, they should run without issues, since the 'LAUNCH' script - in both cases - is written to chown ownership of all the relevant bits BEFORE it fires the browser up. So; I'm not entirely certain what's going on here...

Mike. :|

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Marv

Post by Marv »

Multimedia tests:

Deadbeef plays CD well, default CD player: deadbeef /dev/sr0/all.cda.

MPV plays DVD well, default Media player: MPV

Celluloid plays DVD if set as default Media Player but is choppy with high DVD use until the MPV config files in the Celluloid preferences>Config files are set to point to /etc/mpv/mpv.conf and /etc/mpv/encoding-profiles.conf respectively. Then it plays well. Beats me where it stores that information though.

Cheers,

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

Keef

Post by Keef »

The firewall status insists that it is off, even after running setup. Right clicking and turning on has no effect. Tried removing and re-starting but no change.

oldaolgeezer

Post by oldaolgeezer »

some comments while trying F96-CE_1:

Thank you radky, rockedge and many others for your hard work on this great iso.

(I frugally installed it alongside my other Puppy's expanded iso's with no save file.)

I noticed three small round circles at the top right corner of ROXfiler windows
(and other windows such as the browser, etc) that were greyish and "blank",

three small circles at the top right corner of windows.png
three small circles at the top right corner of windows.png (15.42 KiB) Viewed 899 times

I'm accustomed to seeing different colors or an "X", "-" and a "square" on/in them.

Do I need to change my theme to distinguish these small circles?

Thanks for any help

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@oldaolgeezer Yes the window buttons can be changed

Menu->Desktop->JWMDesk
then select the "windows" tab and the controls look like below. Use the theme section and select button to pick a button theme.

Screenshot(29).jpg
Screenshot(29).jpg (53.09 KiB) Viewed 896 times
oldaolgeezer

Post by oldaolgeezer »

Wow !

What fast response !

I didn't know that they were called "buttons".

Thanks, rockedge !

If you can tolerate an old geezer's babble:
Decades ago, in my early days with Windows XP, I experimented with trying a new system font.

I was shocked when the contents of the three little squares on the top right of WinXP's
windows suddenly looked different !

I found that they each had a different single "character" inside each of the tiny squares. And that the "characters" were
merely a high numbered hex code in my test font alphabet.
I had assumed that what I now know are called "buttons" in Linux were merely three little windows with only
one text character within them (not graphic icons). In WinXP they were three tiny text windows, only one character wide and tall.

Thanks again.

Attachments
three small circles (WinXP style buttons).png
three small circles (WinXP style buttons).png (146.82 KiB) Viewed 877 times
cthisbear

Post by cthisbear »

" I had put a Porsche engine and brakes in it.
Drove the local police nuts. "

Poor attitude but I likes it a lot.

""""""
A radky release.

What a nice surprise...I am still using Dpup Stretch...just works.
I have just downloaded this and I am hoping I can use an older Ventoy to boot it.
One of the newer was rubbish.

Anyway time will tell.

Thanks all again...Chris.

Gnimmelf

Post by Gnimmelf »

rockedge wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:15 pm

I am downloading to test the Brave portable browser. Try to see what is going wrong to fix it.

UPDATE: I downloaded from the mega site and extracted Brave and placed it in /mnt/home
It started right up on the first attempt so I will have to try it out on some other F96-CE_1 systems!

i tried that - didnt work? it run perfecly on my imppup? without moving it to mnt/home.
i just moved it to my applications. didnt mess with permissions and stuff.

kindly Gnimmelf

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Gnimmelf I also will try that, but so far the Brave portable is working for me....I will keep trying some other setups......

We'll to get to the bottom of this failure to launch.

Overdrive5

Post by Overdrive5 »

Keef wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:29 pm

The firewall status insists that it is off, even after running setup. Right clicking and turning on has no effect. Tried removing and re-starting but no change.

I can confirm this.

It seems /etc/init.d/rc.firewall permissions gets changed to not executable after making and applying any changes in Firewall Setup.

I used Rox to go to the file and changed the permissions to executable and rebooted.

But FYI, when I issue a start or restart command to rc.firewall, I get the following error messages:

# ./rc.firewall restart
Loading kernel modules ...
net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_source_route = 0
net.ipv4.conf.all.secure_redirects = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.log_martians = 1
Flushing Tables ...
ip6tables v1.8.4 (legacy): can't initialize ip6tables table `filter': Address family not supported by protocol
Perhaps ip6tables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
ip6tables v1.8.4 (legacy): can't initialize ip6tables table `filter': Address family not supported by protocol
ip6tables v1.8.4 (legacy): can't initialize ip6tables table `nat': Address family not supported by protocol
ip6tables v1.8.4 (legacy): can't initialize ip6tables table `nat': Address family not supported by protocol
ip6tables v1.8.4 (legacy): can't initialize ip6tables table `mangle': Address family not supported by protocol
ip6tables v1.8.4 (legacy): can't initialize ip6tables table `mangle': Address family not supported by protocol
Create and populate custom rule chains ...
Could not open socket to kernel: Address family not supported by protocol
Process INPUT chain ...
Process FORWARD chain ...
Process OUTPUT chain ...
Load rules for nat table ...
Load rules for mangle table ...
#

So I am not sure we have a secure firewall at this point.

Instant Puppy Fan since 2006!

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Overdrive5
looks like the ip6tables support is lacking something. The firewall looks secure for ipv4 but can't resolve ipv6.

Maybe a kernel swap/upgrade/downgrade might fix this..... or reexamine the support installed for ip6tables to work. We'll have to go in and look under the hood.

oldaolgeezer

Re: F96-CE_1 with 6.0.12-FP Calibre testing

Post by oldaolgeezer »

some additional comments while trying F96-CE_1:

Thank you radky, rockedge and many others for your hard work on this great new iso.
(I frugally installed it alongside my other Puppy's expanded iso's with no save file.)

I installed the latest Calibre (version 6.13) via the F96-CE_1
quickpet fossa Office feature.

When I attempted to view a converted ebook, nothing happened.

After trying a few things, I noticed that there was an error message while
trying just the Calibre version 6.13 ebook-viewer utility:

to see the error message, I ran Calibre's ebook-viewer in a terminal:

# /opt/calibre/ebook-viewer
[21232:21232:0217/140836.225439:ERROR:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(90)]
Running as root without --no-sandbox is not supported.

I had found the same issue when testing fossapup64-9.5 and
made a little workaround script: no-sandbox-ebook-viewer.sh, (for
dragging my ebook .azw, .mobi, .azw3 or .epub file to my Calibre's ebook-viewer startup script):
viewtopic.php?p=6415#p6415

(and later 666philb (fossapup64's developer) made a much more sophisticated
repair by using /etc/profile.d which installed via his Quickpet >>> fossapup updates
for Calibre's ebook-viewer utility.)

Might we need 666philb's /etc/profile.d Calibre's ebook-viewer code in F96-CE_1 ?

Thanks for any help

Null_ID

Post by Null_ID »

So thanks again for another great release. Been using this since yesterday, and so far this F96-CE seems to be a total improvement over the previous Fossapup 9.5 in every possible category. I have a Thinkpad T510i here with Intel Core i5 M430 + 4 gigs of RAM, and it runs like a greased lightning, just blazingly fast for something that was released 13 years ago. Thanks to your hard work and effort, I can put off buying new hardware for a few more years. From the bottom of my heart, I salute you. Good luck also with your next Puppy project (JammyPup I believe that is.)

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

I ran the updated ISO as a frugal install and it worked well. Great job !

But I note that there is a ydrv in use. I was hoping that I could use the Fossapup9.5 ydrv with LXDE or LXQt.

Is it possible to install these Desktop environments in other ways, eg in the package manager ??

gychang

Post by gychang »

very good, thanks!

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Geek3579 wrote:

Is it possible to install these Desktop environments in other ways, eg in the package manager ??

Yes I think it is possible by renaming the yfrv to adrv or in some cases bdrv and then inserting the desktop eniviroment as the ydrv.

Some juggling might be needed to find the right combination when it comes to the layering order.

Return to “F96-CE”