Darkside of the Pale Moon

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

amethyst

Re: Darkside of the Pale Moon

Post by amethyst »

When you want to update the browser, download the new tarball from the official site, re-pack it as an sfs-addon and use it in the place of your previous sfs-addon. That's what I do. However I don't download every new version, not necessary although I know some users always want the newest available (which is not necessarily always a good thing). I use stuff until I encounter problems with it otherwise I don't bother to upgrade.

DeeMal

Post by DeeMal »

While I agree that the newest versions are not always the best even if they address security concerns, I will always download them even if they cause issues in the short term. Of course, if I know beforehand that that particular download could call issues, I will wait before I do.

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:18 pm

The Linux Chrome package has been built to work with the standard multi-user/'home' directory/limited permissions model of the traditional mainstream. On top of that, Google refuses to let you run-as-root, unless you pull some developer-related 'tweaks'.

noted

even more incentive to use other browsers

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

DeeMal wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:31 pm

This is how I initially installed it. Sigh. Opera installed with no issues. I am not really interested in Firefox since after Opera it is number 3 of the browsers I like most.

I'll be honest, I use most of them, but not equally. On 64 I'm usually in Pale Moon or crypto-freak Brave. 32 it's same or Chromium.

Motivated you got Pale Moon and whatever your 2nd choice is. The info is here.

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

I use LibreWolf appimage from https://gitlab.com/librewolf-community/ ... -/releases about 95% of the time.

https://librewolf.net/

It's privacy hardened, doesn't run as spot, easy to update, just download, unzip and click on it. Will use the profile from the previous version in /root/.config, but will warn you if you try to fire up the previous version appimage. It doesn't like that.

Also, it's usually a version or two behind official Firefox, so it's probably less buggy than the very latest update.

But it's 64bit, if that's a consideration.

Of course I'm using Fossapup64, and maybe appimages don't automatically boot in other versions of puppy.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Return to “Beginners Help”