PeasyScale has disappeared from the right-click menu in Rox file manager

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Re: PeasyScale has disappeared from the right-click menu in Rox file manager

Post by mikewalsh »

@Governor :-

You may find KLV 'Airedale' will take a bit of adjustment.

It doesn't TRY to be a 'Puppy'. It's based on Void Linux, and uses the XFCE desktop environment and the Thunar file manager.......both of which work very differently to the 'buntu-based Fossapup's ROX-filer/JWM combo.

Although many Puppy utilities HAVE been 'ported' to it, not all of Puppy's 'standard' utilities are present.......mainly because it doesn't make sense to try and force them to work with what is essentially a very different paradigm. In some cases, it simply creates more issues than it solves.

I would advise learning to use it as it is. It's an excellent little operating system, but you just need to take a wee bit of time to learn those differences. It really is worth the effort to do so.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:12 am
geo_c wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:08 pm

You can do this yourself, simply by copying the fossapup boot stanza multple times in your menu.lst and adding psubdir= and/or pupsave= to each one.
viewtopic.php?t=5484 (parameters listed at the bottom)

The point is not that a seasoned OS user may have the ability to customize startup. The point is that a user booting the OS should have the available options to choose from. If a user is unable to boot, how can they create a workaround.

Well what we're talking is booting.

It makes sense that a booting tool for Joe User should be as simple as possible, meaning it primarily installs the OS to a drive and installs a bootloader on that drive, and stores the changes on THAT drive.

If Joe User is really Joe POWER User and wants to custom design a system where his OS files are on a different drive than his save, and he wants the option to boot from wherever, however, with changes, without changes, in RAM, reading the files from disk, etc.. then trying to accomodate him by giving every option at boot actually confuses the real plain Joe Users out there, don't you think?

It took me a good while in the beginning to figure out exactly what the standard pup menu.lst options even did. I was new to linux as well as being new to puppy.

And if you ask me, the PUP booting install tools actually offer so many options that Joe User could easily be confused, because I would assume he has no idea what the term "Frugal Install" even means in a technical sense.

You have to put things in perspective.

Pups and all the variations that are using similar install techniques are so versatile that it creates a conundrum over how to offer all these options while maintaining an elegant and simple method for "newbies" to get up and running.

@Clarity for instance has been laser focused for a long time on providing iso booting as way to streamline the process.

The bottom line of what I'm saying is this, the issue is really that these install methods are very versatile, and though not exclusive to puppy-linux, pup's install/booting methods have always been on the forefront of the portable OS approach. So although your request is a valid one, in order to offer a helpful suggestion, one has to understand the scope of the request, and just what kind of involved scripting is necessary to make it happen. It's not an easy adjustment to make.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 12:28 pm

I would advise learning to use it as it is. It's an excellent little operating system, but you just need to take a wee bit of time to learn those differences. It really is worth the effort to do so.

Mike. ;)

and @Governor

KLV-airedale is a thoroughly vetted OS, my daily driver.

BUT, the big BUT, is what is your primary focus next.

• Using Airedale as your daily driver from USB

• Using Airedale to check/format your nvme and reconfigure your hardware structure.

geo_c

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Governor wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:41 am

I found the hosts file, and have edited it. I just don\t know if it will return on the next boot in the edited version.

reboot and see if your edit persisted?

if not, reboot without anything other than your power cord and your airdale USB plugged directly into your machines USB port, and redo your edit in /etc/hosts
then, reboot again to see if it persisted on the second try.

you should verify persistence is working properly before moving on to other configuration changes.

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 3:41 pm
Governor wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:41 am

I found the hosts file, and have edited it. I just don\t know if it will return on the next boot in the edited version.

reboot and see if your edit persisted?

if not, reboot without anything other than your power cord and your airdale USB plugged directly into your machines USB port, and redo your edit in /etc/hosts
then, reboot again to see if it persisted on the second try.

you should verify persistence is working before moving on to other configuration changes.

I did reboot from the thumb drive and, I don't know how, but the HOSTS file is intact. This must mean it is being saved somewhere on the thumb drive itself, right?

Since all these "puppies" are so different from each other, why are they all lumped together in one forum?

Bionic, BookwormPup, DPupStretch, F96-CE, Fossapup64, LxPupSc, Raspbian Buster, Slacko, SPups, Tahr, Vanilla Dpup, VoidPup, Xenial, Legacy
KLV-Airedale, KLV-Bspwm, KLV-Spectr, KLV-Swayland, KLV-HyprlandCE, KLA, KLU-jam, KLF, KL minis, KL_full2fr, KL-Dev_Work, Built from woof-CE Recipes, F96CE-XFCE-FUSILLI

Anyway, I just tried a some different versions and got very mixed results (I am back on fossapup right now). I can see why Linux will never be mainstream. It is not user-friendly, and likely never will be. Programmers are not really interested in making it user-friendly. It is not because they don't care, it is because they can no longer see Linux from the perspective of Joe User. Experts no longer have that ability, the best they can do is to try and imagine how it could be for Joe User, and that is not the same.

Something that does continually impresses me in this forum is the level of enthusiasm, commitment and expertise demonstrated, and the willingness to help others. I have never seen that at this level anywhere else (and I am being bluntly honest). The only place I experienced, that even came close was a usenet group back in the late 1990s and early 2000s called "alt.msdos.batch", and there was some cool stuff going on in there. Laura Fairhead created a batch chess program. You could type in the moves for each side, and the pieces would be arranged accordingly on the on-screen chessboard. 8-)

IMHO, programmers would do well by sometimes listening to experiences of novices, but I don't know if anyone will do it. This is the only place where I can get any real help, and trust me, I have tried other places.

I already suggested this:
Give the user a multiple choice of which partitions to look for settings files on.
When the boot settings files are found, offer a multiple choice of which one to use. If it is done like this, I could use the process of elimination to find what works, if any. And the full path to each file should always be shown.

If that had been in place, it would have saved me, as a novice, countless hours of toil and frustration. @geo_c responded to my suggestion with an expert response which unfortunately is of little use to a Joe User like me.

So what is wrong with my suggestion? If Puppy is looking for the startup files anyway, they may just as well be listed on the screen, including their full path, in a multiple choice for the user. I don't understand why this has not been done already.
Thanks to everyone, you are all GREAT!

Last edited by Governor on Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out alive.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

I did reboot from the thumb drive and, I don't know how, but the HOSTS file is intact.

nice to see you have persistence working.

I would advise learning to use it as it is.

Mike. ;)

+1

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:53 pm

I did reboot from the thumb drive and, I don't know how, but the HOSTS file is intact.

nice to see you have persistence working.

I would advise learning to use it as it is.

Mike. ;)

+1

What does persistence consist of or include? I like to know how much or which part of my configuration will be intact before I get too involved with a big configuration overhall.
File associations?
Send to?
Run action?
Screen settings?
Keyboard settings?
Language settings?
...?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Governor wrote:

What does persistence consist of or include? I like to know how much or which part of my configuration will be intact before I get too involved with a big configuration overhall.
File associations?
Send to?
Run action?
Screen settings?
Keyboard settings?
Language settings?
...?

Yes, all that. Anything you change in the filesystem, also e.g. new installed software.

Fossil

Post by Fossil »

@Governor I've been a Puppy Linux user - emphasis, "User" - for more than twenty years. I'm not a programmer, just a tinkerer where computers are concerned, who gave up on Windows. Almost all those Puppy Linux incarnations you mentioned follow the same dictum, they are not difficult but, like learning any subject, perhaps a language, there is a form and syntax which has to be followed and learnt without deviating from the simple and known path.
Yes, all those things you mention can be accomplished - at one time, I've had well over FIFTY separate Puppy Linux's all installed upon one hard drive, 'just to see if it was possible'! Although I would not recommend it for a rank newcomer. What I would firmly suggest is, 'Stick to the known path'. Keep just the very basic requirements required to boot up, utilize just one operating system until you have become completely familiar with it; don't muck around with extranious devices - and this also includes a plugged in printer/scanner or daisy-chaining external USB plug-adaptors or anything else, especially swapping boot devices, USB, CD's, DVD's, in and out, etc, etc, etc, all this does is accumulate more areas of confusing complexity. Stick with what works!

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Governor Tell me of an OS that is for "Joe User"........don't start with Microsoft or Apple. I know how do many things with computers....There was a time had to load boot loader and then program code into a fighter jet's weapon control computer in OCTAL with toggle switches and lights while the jet sat on the tarmac with jet engine running to do diagnostics on the fly (literally).

I know "user friendly" compared to not "user friendly". If you find Linux has too many details then go ahead and use something else like Apple (which is all Linux modified to be iOS).

Since all these "puppies" are so different from each other, why are they all lumped together in one forum?

Are you kidding me? Who do you expect will maintain, admin/moderate and PAY for it all? Lucky we have this forum at all. This COMMUNITY is for those distro's that share similar philosophy and technology.

Good enough for me....and since I am responsible to pay the rent and bills and none of this is for free or cheap this is what you get.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:02 pm

File associations?
Send to?
Run action?
Screen settings?
Keyboard settings?
Language settings?
...?

All of that stuff saves of course. Your new Airedale believes it's a full mainstream installation of Void Linux. Only we experts know that in fact it's not. But as far as the base OS functionality goes, it writes things in their proper locations and functions the way the upstream developers designed it. As a Joe User that's all you need to know. Now all you have to do is sit back and use it like a normal Joe User.

If you continue to use Airedale configured to immediately write changes as made, all of them will be written and saved, including your mistakes, just like a regular good ol' mainstream OS.

So back it up like I said earlier, it will back up on the thumb drive in the installation directory. I'm not gonna tell you how to restore it until you actually need to. Of course all the info is right there if you just look for it.

And let's be honest. If you actually were a plain Joe User, you would expect to simply run the installation of Airedale the way it's setup now (maybe being eager to install on an internal hard drive) and use it without trying to make it jump through your personal hoops. Those hoops are the kinds a manipulations that Joe Power Users attempt, and the key there is that in order to do it, they have to take the time to first understand how the system is supposed to work under conventional circumstances. They have to read directions carefully, clarify any advice given, and deal with the consequences if they add other elements into the mix of following any advice.

So let's chalk up the progress to date:

• You now have one OS from this forum running the way it was designed to run, installed by the installation instructions.

• You're all set to start checking out your hardware, what actually works and what doesn't.

• You have the tools necessary to setup a working boot from nvme

• You don't have to reset the basics every time you shutdown

I'd say those are huge improvements over the situation you were in 48 hours ago.

Now you can slow down and carefully strategize, because as a Faux Normal Joe User aspiring to tackle Power User capabilities, there's going to be a lot of decision making.

And one final thought about listing all the paths of where everything is located in a boot scenario. There are probably 10 common methods of booting a linux OS. If you use menu.lst and understand it, all the info is right there in the boot file. If you use the other bootloader tools it's mostly the same. Pup and KL developers take the time to insure that those bootloaders will work with a pup, but they're not going to write a special gui for all of them. That's Linux, there are choices and freedom, with which comes personal responsibility.

If you want one universal boot method, there's this fabulous company called MicroSoft and they make software that will turn on your machine remotely and install the latest OS on it without asking. You might want to try them.

Of course if you don't want to try MicroSoft because like Google they have to remind themselves not to be EVIL, then what you really want to start asking me is:

@geo_c, where and how exactly are the changes saved in a Kennel Linux OS like this KLV-airedale?

and of course I enjoy answering focused questions like that one.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:10 pm

Because this is one of the most creative, non-control-freak groups of linux enthusiasts in the world!

If it can be done and someone wants to do it, that's all that's necessary. Puppy-linux is an idea, not a corporation. It's pure chaos in all the right ways.

If you don't groove with that, well you're like most Joe Users I guess.

geo_c

Governor

Post by Governor »

fossapup64_9.5 RAM-only mode, and lacking in diplomatic skills :)

geo_c wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:16 pm
Governor wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:10 pm

Because this is one of the most creative, non-control-freak groups of linux enthusiasts in the world!

That is fine, and I understand it, and I like it. As Joe User, I had no way of knowing that the many OS's in this forum are not different versions, but "share similar philosophy and technology" (as @rockedge put it). Who would know?

Nonetheless, I often feel like that time a got a bad haircut and was told, "You had a bad attitude when you came in here." As if it was my fault.

If it can be done and someone wants to do it, that's all that's necessary. Puppy-linux is an idea, not a corporation. It's pure chaos in all the right ways.

If you don't groove with that, well you're like most Joe Users I guess.

I could definitely groove with that if I could get an OS in proper working order, so I can do what I need to do, and not be in a constant struggle with it.

The jury is still out on Airedale. Looks like @mikewalsh's Audacity won't run, but Firefox does.

Back to the topic of fossapup:
I can boot fossapup from a CD (closed for writing), a Puppy thumb drive or a Ventoy thumb drive, and in all three cases choose RAM-only mode. And in all three cases, PeasyScale is gone from the right-click menu in Rox, and the Up key does a screenshot. Advice I often get is:

Re-partition and reformat my drive and start over!
And, that it must be user error!
But that makes no sense to me, because the closed CD had previously booted many times into RAM-only mode without these issues. Starting from scratch does not prevent the issue from occurring again, so it is not a fix, in the true sense of the word, it's more like a stop-gap measure or cut and burn or scorched earth.

How can these issues (PeasyScale/Up key) be stopped, without doing the drastic reformatting? If I go through my internal partitions and delete all puppy system or boot files, would that stop it? Would I need to also delete all grub files?

Alternatively, is there something I can do with the boot stanzas on the thumb drives that will stop it from happening when booting from those devices?

Thanks!

Last edited by Governor on Fri May 31, 2024 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:44 am

That is fine, and I understand it, and I like it. As Joe User, I had no way of knowing that the many OS's in this forum are not different versions, but "share similar philosophy and technology" (as @rockedge put it). Who would know?

Nonetheless, I often feel like that time a got a bad haircut and was told, "You had a bad attitude when you came in here." As if it was my fault.

TRUE STORY: I always cut my own hair. One day the clippers slipped out of my hand and cut a huge chunk out my hair. I tried to "fix" it and had the most ridiculous botched hair you could imagine. Went to my wife's haircutter, Raul from Colombia who sheduled an "emergency" appointment for me, He said to me, "Do you have a license to cut hair?" Then he made it look presentable, but very short.

QUESTION: Did I complain that Raul's hair cutting skills weren't up to par, weren't quite right, that he didn't give what he promised or should have? Did I take issue with the fact he that made that smart ass remark? (which was quite funny at the time)

The jury is still out on Airedale. Looks like @mikewalsh's Audacity won't run, but Firefox does.

Audacity 3.4.2_1 is in the Void repository. You could install it proper in Airedale. Void is a rolling release, files and applications are constantly updated. One of the many benefits of a KLV. And for the record, I've never liked Audacity, from the very early versions until the last time I tried it.

• You now have one OS from this forum running the way it was designed to run, installed by the installation instructions.

• You're all set to start checking out your hardware, what actually works and what doesn't.

• You have the tools necessary to setup a working boot from nvme

• You don't have to reset the basics every time you shutdown

I'd say those are huge improvements over the situation you were in 48 hours ago.

edit: Oh yeah, don't forget to run backup/restoresys in Airedale while the system save is still relatively fresh.

Last edited by geo_c on Fri May 31, 2024 4:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

geo_c

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

Governor wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:32 am

PeasyScale has disappeared from the right-click menu in Rox file manager, but it is still in the main menu on the taskbar under "Graphic".
How can PeasyScale be returned to the Rox right-click menu when right-clicking on an image?

In Fossapup64 9.5 the right-click menu is set up to show a PeasyScale option when you right-click on a JPEG file. It will not display for other image file types. To confirm that the file is a JPEG file, right-click the image file and open the "Properties" dialog. Make sure that "Type" is "image/jpeg".

If this is the case and PeasyScale still doesn't show up in the right-click menu, check the ROX-Filer configuration: Open the (hidden) directory /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith/.image_jpeg. In this directory there should be a file PeasyScale, a symlink to /usr/share/applications/peasyscale.desktop. Does this symlink exist?

Governor

Post by Governor »

MochiMoppel wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:43 am
Governor wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:32 am

PeasyScale has disappeared from the right-click menu in Rox file manager, but it is still in the main menu on the taskbar under "Graphic".
How can PeasyScale be returned to the Rox right-click menu when right-clicking on an image?

In Fossapup64 9.5 the right-click menu is set up to show a PeasyScale option when you right-click on a JPEG file. It will not display for other image file types. To confirm that the file is a JPEG file, right-click the image file and open the "Properties" dialog. Make sure that "Type" is "image/jpeg".

If this is the case and PeasyScale still doesn't show up in the right-click menu, check the ROX-Filer configuration: Open the (hidden) directory /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith/.image_jpeg. In this directory there should be a file PeasyScale, a symlink to /usr/share/applications/peasyscale.desktop. Does this symlink exist?

There was no PeasyScale option when right clicking on a .jpg, and "Properties" confirms it is a .jpg. No there was no PeasyScale there either.

I got a solution from @bigpup here:
https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 34#p120834
Thanks.

Governor

Post by Governor »

geo_c wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:38 am

8<-----snipped------

Audacity 3.4.2_1 is in the Void repository. You could install it proper in Airedale. Void is a rolling release, files and applications are constantly updated. One of the many benefits of a KLV. And for the record, I've never liked Audacity, from the very early versions until the last time I tried it.

I guess I got lucky. Had to happen sometime. :)

[*]You're all set to start checking out your hardware, what actually works and what doesn't.

I have done the hardware checks and there are no faults reported on the internal drive or in memory.

[*]You have the tools necessary to setup a working boot from nvme

[*]You don't have to reset the basics every time you shutdown[/list]

That is a big improvement.

edit: Oh yeah, don't forget to run backup/restoresys in Airedale while the system save is still relatively fresh.

Where is "backup/restoresys" in Airedale?
Thanks.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 3:24 pm

No luck involved. You followed the instructions and setup one OS on one drive (afaik) and were given the correct menu.lst to boot it. That's why it works. Now you might recall back in the day, WAY back in the day, when I repeatedly urged you to do the same thing with fossapup64_9.5 on a USB thumb drive. There's no reason fossapup64_9.5 installed exactly the same way, with a save made in the same ext partition and same install folder as the system files wouldn't function easily and reliably. Instead of that scenario, what you've experienced for going on two years now, is never knowing exactly where the OS you're booting from is located or where and what save it's loading, and that simply won't work reliably.

However, even though you can get fossapup booting normally doing what I suggested above, it still won't help with setting up your nvme, that's why you have a more current OS (Airedale,) for the purpose of accessing and managing the nvme reliably. And at the point you have the nvme organized effectively for booting, then you can attempt this same process of installing ONE working OS on the nvme with it's save in the same directory as the install, and boot it without any other drives connected, just like you did with this USB Airedale install.

In other words, one step at a time, eliminating all confusing variables as you go.

I have done the hardware checks and there are no faults reported on the internal drive or in memory.

If you're quite certain that the nvme is in a healthly state then you should probably now do what @mikewalsh suggested and run fstrim -av from a terminal using KLV-airedale. This will trim any trimmable drive connected to the machine, namely your nvme.

Thanks.

I haven't booted Airedale-sr12 yet, though I downloaded it. I'm running sr8, but to find the restore sys, go to Applications>System and look there, or Applications>Accessories and try that. The Xfce tray in Airedale should have an Xfce Whisker Menu which has an application search, you can type 'backup' in the search and it should find it.

geo_c

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@MochiMoppel :-

MochiMoppel wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:43 am

</snip>.....check the ROX-Filer configuration: Open the (hidden) directory /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith/.image_jpeg. In this directory there should be a file PeasyScale, a symlink to /usr/share/applications/peasyscale.desktop. Does this symlink exist?

A-ha. Finally! After all these years, I now understand how to set these options. Thank you so much for the information.

I never took much notice of PeasyScale before this thread, but since it started I've been experimenting with it. Works pretty darned well.

I now have my right-click options set up for not just JPEG, but PNG as well.....since PeasyScale works with these, and I use PNG images far more than I do JPEGs.

Cheers, mate. :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Back to the topic of fossapup:
I can boot fossapup from a CD (closed for writing), a Puppy thumb drive or a Ventoy thumb drive, and in all three cases choose RAM-only mode. And in all three cases, PeasyScale is gone from the right-click menu in Rox, and the Up key does a screenshot.
Advice I often get is:..........

remove the nvme and retest the three cases

Last edited by williwaw on Fri May 31, 2024 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

I can boot fossapup from a CD (closed for writing), a Puppy thumb drive or a Ventoy thumb drive, and in all three cases choose RAM-only mode. And in all three cases, PeasyScale is gone from the right-click menu in Rox, and the Up key does a screenshot.

Hasn't this already been talked about somewhere? Something about incorrect key bindings?

Governor

Post by Governor »

rcrsn51 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 5:37 pm

Hasn't this already been talked about somewhere? Something about incorrect key bindings?

I would like to know how this happens, especially when in booting from the closed CD in RAM-only mode, which had booted countless times previously without this issue. IDK, but I suspect a file from the internal drive is somehow being read during boot. Someone suggested it could be a physical fault on the CD media, but since the same issues occur on two other boot media, I doubt a physical defect on the CD is the culprit.

Governor

Post by Governor »

geo_c wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 4:24 pm

If you're quite certain that the nvme is in a healthy state then you should probably now do what @mikewalsh suggested and run fstrim -av from a terminal using KLV-Airedale. This will trim any trimmable drive connected to the machine, namely your nvme.

Thanks for the reminder, I will look into fstrim -av

geo_c wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 4:24 pm

Thanks.

I haven't booted Airedale-sr12 yet, though I downloaded it. I'm running sr8, but to find the restore sys, go to Applications>System and look there, or Applications>Accessories and try that. The Xfce tray in Airedale should have an Xfce Whisker Menu which has an application search, you can type 'backup' in the search and it should find it.

Ok, I will try this when I boot Airedale tomorrow.

Last edited by mikewalsh on Fri May 31, 2024 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected quotes, minor spelling edits...

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

Governor wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 3:17 pm

There was no PeasyScale option when right clicking on a .jpg, and "Properties" confirms it is a .jpg. No there was no PeasyScale there either.

There is a PeasyScale symlink when you install Fossapup64 9.5. I just did that. And the link is still there after applying the Quickpet bugfixes. See lower window of the screenshot. So the next question is: Do the remaining 5 items still appear at the top of your right-click menu? If so, you must somehow managed to delete the PeasyScale symlink.

One last possibility: It wasn't there in the first place. You can confirm that is was by checking /initrd/pup_a/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith/.image_jpeg (see upper window in screenshot). This is the contents of the read-only adrv and the source for the lower window. It cannot change, no matter what you do. If your contents of /initrd/pup_a/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith/.image_jpeg is different, then please post a screenshot.

fossa64_9.5.png
fossa64_9.5.png (91.8 KiB) Viewed 635 times

The question is not how to create a right-click item. That's easy. The more interesting question is how you managed to delete only the PeasyScale item. Might give you a clue while other stuff doesn't work for you.

Governor

Post by Governor »

MochiMoppel wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:59 am
Governor wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 3:17 pm

There is a PeasyScale symlink when you install Fossapup64 9.5. I just did that. And the link is still there after applying the Quickpet bugfixes. See lower window of the screenshot. So the next question is: Do the remaining 5 items still appear at the top of your right-click menu? If so, you must somehow managed to delete the PeasyScale symlink.

One last possibility: It wasn't there in the first place. You can confirm that is was by checking /initrd/pup_a/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith/.image_jpeg (see upper window in screenshot). This is the contents of the read-only adrv and the source for the lower window. It cannot change, no matter what you do. If your contents of /initrd/pup_a/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith/.image_jpeg is different, then please post a screenshot.

fossa64_9.5.png

The question is not how to create a right-click item. That's easy. The more interesting question is how you managed to delete only the PeasyScale item. Might give you a clue while other stuff doesn't work for you.

Now that is interesting.
Here is the content of my right-click menu on a .jpg in Rox:

Missing right-click items (initrd folder missing items).png
Missing right-click items (initrd folder missing items).png (151.27 KiB) Viewed 616 times

I don't have the pup_a folder:

initrd folder missing items.png
initrd folder missing items.png (196.48 KiB) Viewed 616 times

I have booted from my closed CD countless times in RAM-only mode and it is only very recently that PeasyScale has been missing. In addition to the Peasy issue, the Up key takes a screenshot instead of going up.
Thanks.

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

Governor wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:00 am

Now that is interesting.

Look at the file dates! 2018! What are you running? And if you are running in RAM-only mode from a CD, basically booting from a pristine ISO, why have some of your files in /initrd a file date of April 2024? Maybe one of our boot experts can explain this. I can't.

You also don't have a pup_f folder. You certainly can boot without adrv and fdrv but the PeasyScale symlink is in the adrv. So when you don't load adrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs you won't see PeasyScale in your right-click menu. Mystery solved - at least for me.

Governor

Post by Governor »

MochiMoppel wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:12 am
Governor wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:00 am

Now that is interesting.

Look at the file dates! 2018! What are you running? And if you are running in RAM-only mode from a CD, basically booting from a pristine ISO, why have some of your files in /initrd a file date of April 2024? Maybe one of our boot experts can explain this. I can't.

You also don't have a pup_f folder. You certainly can boot without adrv and fdrv but the PeasyScale symlink is in the adrv. So when you don't load adrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs you won't see PeasyScale in your right-click menu. Mystery solved - at least for me.

I added PeasyScale to the right-click menu manually because it was not there after booting.
As I remember, I burned the CD with the fossapup64_9.5 downloaded from the official source referred to in this forum with no changes, and closed it for further writing.
Here is the CD content:

boot CD content (initrd folder missing items).png
boot CD content (initrd folder missing items).png (237.09 KiB) Viewed 547 times

I have been suspecting all along that Puppy is loading files from a different place than where it is supposed to (the CD it is booting from). I could be wrong, but it sure looks like that to me, especially when comparing the file dates.

If I am not mistaken, Puppy searches for boot files on startup, but if Puppy just boots the first configuration files it finds, then that needs to be fixed ASAP.

Give the user a multiple choice of which partitions to look for configuration files on. When the configuration files are found, offer a multiple choice of which configuration to use. If it is done like this, anyone can use the process of elimination to find which configuration works, if any. And the full path to each file should always be shown, in case they need to write it down and type it at the command line for some reason.

I already suggested this twice, but there has been no response yet. Perhaps because (as I have been informed) no one is working on the OS itself.

I also asked if I should go through my internal drive and delete all the puppy files I can find, including grub files, but there is no response yet.
I was thinking if I delete all of those files, just maybe the boot CD will use the files on the CD? If I am off base, please let me know.
Thanks.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

When you boot with the CD install.

When it shows the information as it is doing the boot process.

It gives info about loading the different SFS files.

Does it give any information about loading a save?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Governor

Post by Governor »

bigpup wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:47 pm

When you boot with the CD install.

When it shows the information as it is doing the boot process.

It gives info about loading the different SFS files.

Does it give any information about loading a save?

Good question. Unfortunately, I am unable to answer that because I went through all my internal partitions and deleted every puppy setup file and grub file and re/booted *the keyboard setting went out again( :cry: as you can see.
Anyway, after setting the screen settings, there is a button to save the settings, but where will it save to when in RAM/only mode and there are no partitions mounted_
I least I stopped the crazy booting from some strange place that is not the CD, but only because I removed all files on the internal drive that the OS could possibly boot from! So this issue is a persistent one. If I had the expertise to fix it, I would do it myself and release the fixed Puppy version.
Thanks.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

So this issue is a persistent one. If I had the expertise to fix it, I would do it myself and release the fixed Puppy version.

You have me confused. Puppy Linux is designed to look for certain files existence across the partitions (drives) attached to that machine. If Fossapup64 booting from CD/DVD finds a save folder, save file or component on any connected partition that fits the Fossapup64 profile, that will be used during the boot.

If NO files or components are on any partitions then just those found on the CD will be used. So of course remove any Puppy Linux files and start clean.

You must have attempted some type of installation to have components of Fosspup64 floating around the partitions. What have you tried?
save file or component

Return to “Beginners Help”