EasyOS Scarthgap-series version 6.3

Moderator: BarryK

jensen

Re: EasyOS Scarthgap-series version 6.1.1

Post by jensen »

Hey
I'm trying to run easyos on a jasper lake chromebook, but can't get sound in speaker.
Only have the option to select HDMI output, no analog sound, what am I doing wrong.
Is it the SOF problem, that have been discussed earlier.
(Tried running Dpup on the same device and there I have sound)
Thanks

ripwardog

Post by ripwardog »

As you can see in this image, everything works. The audio is fine. I can open the PulseAudio Volume Control from the menu and it works great. I just miss NOT having to manually start the tray icon. The script in ~/Startup works.

And... what's up with that gap in the tray? It's like 'something' is there, but it's not visible nor functional. I wonder if having that AppImage in ~/Startup is causing the issue.

Increasing the sleep time did indeed work.

Code: Select all

sleep 10 #20221101 increase from 0.5

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

LarryDC

Re: EasyOS Scarthgap-series version 6.1 - What must I do to get enough room on the easyos.img to remaster correctly?

Post by LarryDC »

BarryK wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:01 am

truncate can be used to increase the size of the .img file; however, the ext4 filesystem has not been increased. It needs to be increased to fill the new available space.

I followed the instructions. But for some reason my USB drive won't recognize my radeon video card beyond 800x600 resolution.

So I went back to the standard image. which boots fine. Now I just have to go through all the modifications again one by one. A really nice one, IMHO, is the the horizontal strip "conky" across the top edge of the screen. Plus I got both my console file manager "vfu" to run in "st" and "keepassxc" to run using the main encrypted database on another partition on the hard drive.

What I really need is a way to just increase the size of the .img file itself so that I can copy over the builtin easy.sfs with my now remastered and larger one.

The idea is run my little 11.5 inch laptop with Scarthgap instead of PCLinuxOS.

Thanks again for such a great distro.

Linux User#305687
(All JWM: EasyOS 6.1, Artix runit, Void runit, Forge openrc, antiX runit, Sparky testing. + PCLinoxOS)

bullpup

Post by bullpup »

Updated a few hours ago. All went well and no issues whatsoever.

"Get a pup", they said. "It'll be fun", they said. They where right!
(Various Pups with save folder in QEMU/KVM)

bugnaw333

Post by bugnaw333 »

jensen wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:36 am

Hey
I'm trying to run easyos on a jasper lake chromebook, but can't get sound in speaker.
Only have the option to select HDMI output, no analog sound, what am I doing wrong.
Thanks

viewtopic.php?t=9803

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

@ripwardog
That line in /root/Startup/pa-applet_tray:

echo "/root/Startup/pa-applet_tray: waited ${CNT} seconds for pulseaudio daemon."

Can be seen in /tmp/xerrs.log. In my case:

/root/Startup/pa-applet_tray: waited 2 seconds for pulseaudio daemon.

You can see if it has timed-out in your case.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

@LarryDC
Attached is a script from woofQ, with a false ".gz". You run it like this:

# ./2create-skel-drv-img 7 912

...where 7MiB is the size of the fat boot-partition, and 912MiB is the size of the working-partition.

912MiB is the current size used for EasyOS 6.1.1.
If you want to increase it, recommend go up in 16MiB steps.
The upper limit is 999MiB, as there is currently a size-computation problem in the 'init' script in initrd if go higher -- which can be fixed.

You will need to do one extra thing. Click on 'initrd' to open it up, then edit 'init' script.
You will see two occurrences of "912" (lines 1101 and 1112) -- change those to the new size. This is so resizing of the working-partition on first boot of a usb stick will work.

Attachments
2create-skel-drv-img.gz
false .gz
(3.38 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
jensen

Post by jensen »

jensen wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:36 am

Hey
Thanks

Have now tried several Linux-distributioner where the sound works, all of them have in
common that they use the "sof-audio-pci-intel-icl" kernel driver, in easyos is "snd-hda-intel"
in use, is it possible to use "sof-audio-pci-intel-icl" driver in easyos, and how do i get it.
Thanks

ripwardog

Post by ripwardog »

Just popped in to say, 'My hat is off to you Mr. Barry sir.'

Just decided to try Easy this week and I have to hand it to you. This is a fine piece of work.

I initially wrote the .img file to a 32Gb USB stick and while it was far from capacity,
I decided to transfer it over to a larger one as I intend to use it for when I'm at someone
else's house. I left plenty of room to sync with a folder I keep on my daily driver and it's
flawless.

Again, KUDOS sir, KUDOS.

P.S. I modified the limine boot configuration that came with Easy to boot Bookworm Pup64
and it works great. TY for the time and effort you put into this. It must be a labor of love.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

ripwardog wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 1:15 pm

Just popped in to say, 'My hat is off to you Mr. Barry sir.'

Just decided to try Easy this week and I have to hand it to you. This is a fine piece of work.

I initially wrote the .img file to a 32Gb USB stick and while it was far from capacity,
I decided to transfer it over to a larger one as I intend to use it for when I'm at someone
else's house. I left plenty of room to sync with a folder I keep on my daily driver and it's
flawless.

Again, KUDOS sir, KUDOS.

P.S. I modified the limine boot configuration that came with Easy to boot Bookworm Pup64
and it works great. TY for the time and effort you put into this. It must be a labor of love.

Just looking at your screenshot, the KERNEL_CMDLINE you have for bookworm puppy is not valid, it is the details from EasyOS. Luckily it may boot without using it. The details should be the additional details that are shown on the Linux line of grub2. For bookwork64 something like this would be correct:

KERNEL_CMDLINE=root=UUID=your-UUID-here=/your-directory-name pmedia=usbflash

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

ripwardog

Post by ripwardog »

TerryH wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 4:27 pm

Just looking at your screenshot, the KERNEL_CMDLINE you have for bookworm puppy is not valid, it is the details from EasyOS. Luckily it may boot without using it. The details should be the additional details that are shown on the Linux line of grub2. For bookwork64 something like this would be correct:

It boots just fine the way it is executed. I'll try that line and let you know. I'm sure it will work, I was just going by the cfg for Easy.

ripwardog

Post by ripwardog »

TerryH wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 4:27 pm

Yeah, that line didn't work.

Federico

Perfect operation on older desktop hardware

Post by Federico »

I assembled a desktop PC with older hardware (this is about 9 years old) and EasyOS 6.1 is running flawlessly on it.

- Intel Core I5 4670K
- MSI Z97 Gaming 7
- 2 x 8 GB DDR 3 Kingston Hyper X
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 (Zotac Amp Extreme)
- Netgear WNA1100 USB wireless adapter
- Samsung optical DVD/RW drive

The video card worked immediately and the Nvidia sfs provided with its driver many tuning options and even temperature monitoring.

The average temperature of the CPU cores oscillates around 33 °C (I'm using a small heatsink - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro - "small" for today's standards).

The thing which impressed me the most is the fact that the WNA1100 wireless adapter worked immediately, just connected, without the need of installing anything, and it was immediately configurable through the network applet.

No need of any HDD / SSD: just running Easy from a USB stick.

Desktop PC
Case: Sharkoon S25-W MB: Asus Rog Strix B550-A PSU: XFX Pro 750W CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X @ 4.6 GHz RAM: Corsair 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz Heatsink: Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B VGA: Asus Tuf RTX 3080 12 GB OC

Laptop PC: Asus Zenbook UX325E

ripwardog

Post by ripwardog »

Someone help an old DoG out.
I altered the font and the color of the font under the desktop icons. I'm wanting to replicate this 'feat' on the Easy I have installed on a HDD.
The thing is... my memory is vague on how I accomplished this 'feat.' By vague I mean completely forgotten.
I remember doing it, but for the life of me I can not remember how I did it and I can't seem to be able to find how I did it.

Amol

Post by Amol »

Hello ripwardog !
Open rox-filer and right click inside his window, select "options" and after "Pinboard" you will see the solution.
Best regards,
Amol

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

ripwardog wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 3:22 pm

Someone help an old DoG out.
I altered the font and the color of the font under the desktop icons. I'm wanting to replicate this 'feat' on the Easy I have installed on a HDD.
The thing is... my memory is vague on how I accomplished this 'feat.' By vague I mean completely forgotten.
I remember doing it, but for the life of me I can not remember how I did it and I can't seem to be able to find how I did it.

@Amol solution looks good ;)

Right click any desktop icon
Rox-filer
Options

Pinboard .... and modify the font and size as u want.

Have a nice day

cc2 @Amol

-

Attachments
image 08 37 46.jpg
image 08 37 46.jpg (68.13 KiB) Viewed 2328 times

:arrow:

XFCE_FUSILLI . ===> https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/

YouTube How_To . ==> https://bit.ly/f96ce_xfce_fusilli_HOWTO

Learning EASY OS . => https://easyos.org/

ripwardog

Post by ripwardog »

Thanks guys. I knew I did it but could not for the life of me remember how.

Cheers.

tammi806

Post by tammi806 »

ripwardog wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 3:22 pm

Cool background wallpaper.

ryfox

Post by ryfox »

Hello! I have just installed EasyOS Scarthgap 6.1.1 on my low end Celeron laptop and it is *amazing*, I love everything you've done here. However I'm running into an issue trying to run VS Code which I have installed through Flapi. Launching through the menu item does nothing. I am able to launch it through the terminal though by running `run-as-spot dbus-launch flatpak run com.visualstudio.code`. Is this a known issue, or am I doing something wrong? It has been a while but IIRC this worked back on Kirkstone when I tried that a while ago.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

ryfox wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 12:51 am

Hello! I have just installed EasyOS Scarthgap 6.1.1 on my low end Celeron laptop and it is *amazing*, I love everything you've done here. However I'm running into an issue trying to run VS Code which I have installed through Flapi. Launching through the menu item does nothing. I am able to launch it through the terminal though by running `run-as-spot dbus-launch flatpak run com.visualstudio.code`. Is this a known issue, or am I doing something wrong? It has been a while but IIRC this worked back on Kirkstone when I tried that a while ago.

Just now went through the exercise, installed Visual Studio from Flapi, and tried running it from a terminal; "vscode" and it just exits.
Tried "vscode.bin", which will run it as the root user, also just exits.

I don't know why it works running as spot.
Yeah, I tested this in kirkstone and it worked, so what is now different?!!!

EDIT:
Investigating this. I might create a PET package. As this person posted, running vscode in a flatpak is basically wrong:

https://bentsukun.ch/posts/vscode-flatpak/

I think that I know why the vscode flatpak is aborting. It passes this "ELECTRON_RUN_AS_NODE=1" to electron, and it seems that causes electron to abort.
Maybe.
Anyway, electron apps are also awful, a pity that vscode uses it. Just my opinion of course.

Caramel

Post by Caramel »

BarryK wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 10:50 am
ryfox wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 12:51 am

Just now went through the exercise, installed Visual Studio from Flapi, and tried running it from a terminal; "vscode" and it just exits.
Tried "vscode.bin", which will run it as the root user, also just exits.

I don't know why it works running as spot.
Yeah, I tested this in kirkstone and it worked, so what is now different?!!!

Test in EasyOS 6.1.1 and EasyOS 5.8.1

In both, vscode do not start when launched in terminal (vscode or vscode.bin)
In both vscode starts when launched by click on icon
In 5.8.1 vscode starts when launched by the menu
In 6.1.1 vscode do not start when launched by the menu

Edit:
Test Easy 6.1.1 with kernel 5.5.149 (from Easy 5.8.1)
Vscode do not start when launched by menu. The difference(from launch with original kernel) is some processes always run even after several minutes

# ps aux | grep vscode
vscode 6702 0.0 0.0 2488 1012 ? S 16:30 0:00 /usr/libexec/flatpak-bwrap --args 38 /usr/libexec/flatpak-dbus-proxy --args=40
vscode 6703 0.0 0.0 157840 3832 ? Sl 16:30 0:00 /usr/libexec/flatpak-dbus-proxy --args=40
vscode 6706 0.0 0.0 2600 1316 ? S 16:30 0:00 /usr/libexec/flatpak-bwrap --args 38 code
vscode 6756 0.0 1.2 33798736 48440 ? Ssl 16:30 0:00 /app/extra/vscode/code --ms-enable-electron-run-as-node --extensions-dir=/home/vscode/.var/app/com.visualstudio.code/data/vscode/extensions
vscode 6760 0.0 1.1 33784496 46940 ? S 16:30 0:00 /app/extra/vscode/code --type=zygote --no-zygote-sandbox
vscode 6762 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? Z 16:30 0:00 [zypak-sandbox] <defunct>
vscode 6764 0.0 0.0 5632 972 ? S 16:30 0:00 cat
vscode 6765 0.0 0.0 5632 972 ? S 16:30 0:00 cat
root 7236 0.0 0.0 6264 2204 pts/1 S+ 16:33 0:00 grep vscode

Caramel

EasyOS 6.1.1 - Visual Studio(flatpak) do not start

Post by Caramel »

Caramel wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 1:35 pm

Test in EasyOS 6.1.1 and EasyOS 5.8.1

In both, vscode do not start when launched in terminal (vscode or vscode.bin)
In both vscode starts when launched by click on icon
In 5.8.1 vscode starts when launched by the menu
In 6.1.1 vscode do not start when launched by the menu

(EasyOS 6.1.1)

When vscode is launched by terminal or by menu, the script /usr/bin/vscode is executed as root
When vscode is launched by click, the script vscode is executed as vscode (EDIT: WRONG)

With the commands

#su vscode
#vscode

VisualStudio starts

EDIT : Also works with "su spot"

EDIT :
Assumption :
Visual Studio may detect that the launch process was triggered by root when this launch does not go through a rox-app and refuses to work.
I don't have the skills to go further so I give up the search for an explanation

NEW EDIT:
To launch the flatpak Visual Code from the menu, edit /usr/share/applications/vscode.desktop and replace

Exec=vscode

by

Exec=run-as-client vscode vscode

You can add the line

jwm:/usr/bin/vscode 

in /root/.sudo-sh-allow to prevent the ask for the root password

(EDIT)
Simpler :
replace

Exec=vscode

by

Exec=ros /home/vscode/vscode

EDIT (Aug 16)
If the option --verbose is added at the end of the flatpak command in vscode.bin

flatpak run --env=GDK_DPI_SCALE=1.1 --env=QT_SCALE_FACTOR=1.1 --filesystem=host --socket=system-bus --socket=cups --socket=ssh-auth --socket=session-bus com.visualstudio.code --verbose

Visual Studio, when launched in terminal by vscode, starts

Same with the option --wait instead of --verbose
(Use the option --help to see all options available )

Last edited by Caramel on Fri Aug 16, 2024 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tallboy

Post by tallboy »

Hi Barry.
I have finally jumped from EasyPup to EasyOS, and I am very impressed so far. It takes some time to learn new tricks, so I would like some help. I have some car manuals in the wmx format, and I don't need to have them in an open environment. Can you please tell me the best way to install Vmware?

tallboy

szept

Post by szept »

Haven't been on EasyOS for a while, hence still running 5.8.3. I can see the autoupdate isn't working. Do I have to just download and place the new vmlinuz, initrd and easy.sfs into the
working-partition and reboot or are there any special actions to do?

Regards,
Damian

Running live-USB EasyOS-64_5.6.3

...and taxes are theft! -.-
https://321my.wordpress.com/pw/

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

szept wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 7:36 pm

Haven't been on EasyOS for a while, hence still running 5.8.3. I can see the autoupdate isn't working. Do I have to just download and place the new vmlinuz, initrd and easy.sfs into the
working-partition and reboot or are there any special actions to do?

Regards,
Damian

See:
viewtopic.php?p=128854#p128854

You can bump to 5.8.4 if you wish, or see the link that explains how to transition to the Scarthgap-series.

tallboy

Post by tallboy »

I asked for help on the installation of Vmware, but I see that Vmware now have changed their setup.
I found a working Vmware (jeez, Windoze 7...) in an old Linuxbox with tahr64-6.0.6 installed frugal, so I'll use that whenever I need access to the car manuals. So, help not needed! :)

tallboy

Federico

small issue with OpenVPN

Post by Federico »

Hello,

I discovered a small problem which occurs when using OpenVPN, and a temporary fix for it.

When trying to connect to a VPN server, OpenVPN does not connect and reports the following error:

ERROR: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: No such file or directory (errno=2)

this seems to also happen on other distributions (see Manjaro Linux) and should be related to the path where specific kernel modules are searched for by OpenVPN.
The fix is to create the following bash script, make it executable and place it on /root/Startup:

#!/bin/bash
mkdir -p /dev/net
mknod /dev/net/tun c 10 200
chmod 600 /dev/net/tun

and oobviously run it at least once.

Desktop PC
Case: Sharkoon S25-W MB: Asus Rog Strix B550-A PSU: XFX Pro 750W CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X @ 4.6 GHz RAM: Corsair 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz Heatsink: Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B VGA: Asus Tuf RTX 3080 12 GB OC

Laptop PC: Asus Zenbook UX325E

BarryK

Re: small issue with OpenVPN

Post by BarryK »

Federico wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 5:16 pm

Hello,

I discovered a small problem which occurs when using OpenVPN, and a temporary fix for it.

When trying to connect to a VPN server, OpenVPN does not connect and reports the following error:

ERROR: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: No such file or directory (errno=2)

this seems to also happen on other distributions (see Manjaro Linux) and should be related to the path where specific kernel modules are searched for by OpenVPN.
The fix is to create the following bash script, make it executable and place it on /root/Startup:

#!/bin/bash
mkdir -p /dev/net
mknod /dev/net/tun c 10 200
chmod 600 /dev/net/tun

and oobviously run it at least once.

I did a quick online search, yes, it is a common problem.
/dev/net/tun gets created when the 'tun' module is loaded, so all you have to do it this:

# modprobe tun
BarryK

Re: EasyOS Scarthgap-series version 6.2

Post by BarryK »

Another release!

Blog announcement:

https://bkhome.org/news/202408/easyos-s ... eased.html

Vverve

Re: EasyOS Scarthgap-series version 6.2

Post by Vverve »

Updated to 6.2 with EasyUpdate, rebooting ,while updating the computer shutdown , not a 6.2 problem , my bad , it did not like it at next reboot , kernel panic , i had to manualy copy & simlink + create the ''missing'' releases/easy-6.2/configuration & configuration-6.2
It's a fresh frugal install , reinstalled my pets , chrome , it's all good , as per my limited testing .
BK , you are enjoying a prolific retirement !
Thanks a lot for sharing it !

Return to “EasyOS”