easyVoid development

Moderator: BarryK

ghoen

Re: easyVoid development

Post by ghoen »

Download and installl without problems
Internet access succesfull.
Downloading dev,sfs gave an checksum error.
Tried both sources , same result.
to be continued.

Caramel

Post by Caramel »

nnriyer wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:44 pm

downloaded the google-chrome from menu entry. But failed to extract. This is seems xbps package. Downloaded from apps section. this is deb package. Both google chrome download file failed to install. (see attached file)Screenshotvoid.png

Initially no sound. However, after checking mixer or sound card wizard, got sound in firefox. I dont know what was reasons for initial issue.

Wifi got connected without any issue.

Fresh install of easyVoid.

Oddly enough, the sound device that works is not the same as the usual one in Easy (same card but different device number)

Test of download the lastest google chrome. Same error as in a previous message (Failed to extract file-list)
The cause of the problem could be in /usr/bin/cc-dl-latest line 117

Code: Select all

PFILES="$(dpkg-deb --contents ${CCdeb2} | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 6 -d ' ' | sed -e 's%^\.%%' | grep '/opt/')"

Error message : dpkg-deb: unrecognized option: contents

--contents is not a valid option, the valid option is -c

But It still does not work with -c instead of --contents.

# dpkg-deb -c google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
dpkg-deb: corrupted data
dpkg-deb: short read

md5sum google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
78134f962157ede60b6523fb3bf9bcef google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb

Edit : No problem with this deb in MX 23.1 : No error message with dpkg-deb -c google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb (or dpkg-deb --contents google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb)

Last edited by Caramel on Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caramel

Post by Caramel »

ghoen wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:53 pm

Download and installl without problems
Tried both sources , same result.
to be continued.

Test of devx sfs
Installation with SFSget fails.
Downloaded page https://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64 ... d/current/ , placed in the good directory in /mnt/wkg/sfs, then installed with SFSGet. No error message. Reboot.
The wallpaper has disappeared :

capture10932.png
capture10932.png (25.67 KiB) Viewed 1187 times

No internet.

So the devx sfs was deleted from the boot with Easy Boot Manager.
After a new reboot, Internet works (The wallpaper did not come back)

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi @BarryK
In the feature section of distrowatch, here, there is no update for v6.0 EASY.

Federico

Post by Federico »

Just tried easyVoid 6.0 and I'm very positively surprised. It boots up very fast but I honestly can't tell with certainty if it's faster than Kirkstone since Kirkstone is already extremely fast, especially in its latest iterations.
The color of the default desktop theme has changed from primrose to light gray. The window manager is still JWM and also Rox filer, Sakura and EasySetup are still there. I didn't see EasyShare, if I remember well:

Easy Void 64.jpg
Easy Void 64.jpg (88.44 KiB) Viewed 1156 times

Also the default icons and windows themes are new, and I like them. Even though I've always used custom icons (mainly the ones from the Breeze and Breeze dark themes of the KDE), this is at least a leap forward regarding beauty and clarity of graphics I would say.

At first glance I had several issues: the sound didn't work, the network card wasn't detected and I couldn't even set the screen brightness. But after setting up the system for the first time through QuickSetup and restarting the system, everything started working properly (without the need of doing anything). I set up my network card for connecting to the network and it worked immediately, as I could reach websites by using Firefox. Strangely enough PKGget did not work at first: it said that

PKGget requires an Internet connection to be able to run

or something like that.
But, at the fifth attempt it started correctly and I could have a look at the installed packages.
It looks like the system isn't using musl but still glibc, like on the Debian derivative; and I didn't manage to understand if the system is using runit or systemd, but I think it uses runit. Anyway, the most beautiful thing is that it looks like the system really uses the whole Void Linux repository. That is: this is not a sort of special version of the Void Linux distribution with a separated and proprietary repository, like Kirkstone compared to Debian is. No! This is really like just Void Linux with a little bit of beautiful and useful corrections. The file extension of the packages is now .xbps
This fact provides us the solution to our biggest problem: the impossibility to easily install KDE Dolphin and Okular on Kirkstone. On easyVoid this is as easy as installing any other program: for Dolphin 84 dependencies are installed and checked; for the Breeze theme another 20 packages and for Okular another 24 dependencies. Everything automatically. This is what basically permanently solves our only problem, since from now on we will also be able to update the system without having to repeat any installation or to carry out any manual correction (by installing foreign packages) on it. By the way, this also makes of EasyOS the best Linux distribution ever made: now that the last and biggest fault has been solved, it's a 10 out of 10, absolutely, as far as I'm concerned.

Easy Void 64 - 2.jpg
Easy Void 64 - 2.jpg (92.29 KiB) Viewed 1156 times

as you can see on this picture, Dolphin works completely: it detects all the installed apps, it has no problems accessing mounted partitions with write permissions and it even shows file previews (even the file search service works).

I found a problem with the Flatpaks: I installed Ungoogled Chromium (by adding it manually with the Customize button) and Whatsapp. The installer works flawlessly and it is even possible to add a desktop icon for each installed program but when launching the programs they do not start. I researched a little bit and found out when trying to execute them from a Sakura shell that they return these outputs:

Ungoogled Chromium:

# ungoogled_chromium
(cobalt:2): cobalt-WARNING **: 22:10:53.768: Failed to get expose-pids state: Failed to get portal proxy: Failed to execute child process “dbus-launch” (No such file or directory)
[2:10:0119/221053.800310:ERROR:bus.cc(407)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
# [9:9:0100/000000.825698:ERROR:zygote_linux.cc(666)] write: Broken pipe (32)

Whatsapp:

# whatsapp
[3 zypak-helper] Failed to connect to session bus: [org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NotSupported] Using X11 for dbus-daemon autolaunch was disabled at compile time, set your DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS instead
[3 zypak-helper] src/helper/main.cc:40(DetermineZygoteStrategy): Assertion failed: bus
/app/bin/whatsapp-desktop-linux: line 3:     3 Aborted                 zypak-wrapper.sh /app/whatsapp-desktop-linux/whatsapp-desktop-linux "$@"

So, something's still not ready / not ok, but this is (very) normal for an alpha release I think.

@ BarryK
Dear Barry, you just gave us the greatest gift you could ever give us. Thank you very much and please please never remove the possibility to install KDE Doplhin and Okular for any reason.

Last edited by Federico on Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:42 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Desktop PC
Case: Sharkoon S25-W MB: Asus Rog Strix B550-A PSU: XFX Pro 750W CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X @ 4.6 GHz RAM: Corsair 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz Heatsink: Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B VGA: Asus Tuf RTX 3080 12 GB OC

Laptop PC: Asus Zenbook UX325E

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I found a problem with the Flatpaks: I installed Ungoogled Chromium (by adding it manually with the Customize button) and Whatsapp. The installer works flawlessly and it is even possible to add a desktop icon for each installed program but when launching the programs they do not start. I researched a little bit and found out when trying to execute them from a Sakura shell that they return these outputs:

I think it needs a dBus session started as the user executing the applications.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Clarity wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:15 pm

Hi @BarryK
In the feature section of distrowatch, here, there is no update for v6.0 EASY.

6.0 is an alpha-quality release, for testers only, as announced on the blog. It is not to be announced on Distrowatch.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Thanks for the feedback, will get onto those issues.

Regarding flatpak, I tested installing Shotcut before releasing easyVoid, and it ran ok. So, I assumed that other flatpaks would be ok also.

tammi806

Post by tammi806 »

I just installed Easy Void 6.0 on a usb stick.

I will report if I have any problems.

Working well. :thumbup2:

Federico

Post by Federico »

So:

• regarding Ungoogled Chromium I uninstalled the custom flatpak I added and installed the app-image (the correct one). Now it works, I'm using it right now.

• regarding Whatsapp (I assume it must be Whatsapp Desktop):

# dbus-run-session whatsapp
localuser:whatsapp being added to access control list
[3 zypak-helper] Failed to connect to session bus: [org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NotSupported] Using X11 for dbus-daemon autolaunch was disabled at compile time, set your DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS instead
[3 zypak-helper] src/helper/main.cc:40(DetermineZygoteStrategy): Assertion failed: bus
/app/bin/whatsapp-desktop-linux: line 3:     3 Aborted                 zypak-wrapper.sh /app/whatsapp-desktop-linux/whatsapp-desktop-linux "$@"
  • Other problems I found so far:

--> On my laptop (Asus Zenbook UX325E - Intel Tiger Lake) it looks like the system isn't able to manage the battery when discharging, since the X server either doesn't load all the services or freezes completely or doesn't detect some hardware if (and only if) the power supply is disconnected

--> Most of the times it takes an eternity either to save the session or just to power off the system

Desktop PC
Case: Sharkoon S25-W MB: Asus Rog Strix B550-A PSU: XFX Pro 750W CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X @ 4.6 GHz RAM: Corsair 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz Heatsink: Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B VGA: Asus Tuf RTX 3080 12 GB OC

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Caramel wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:08 pm

Test of download the lastest google chrome. Same error as in a previous message (Failed to extract file-list)
The cause of the problem could be in /usr/bin/cc-dl-latest line 117

PFILES="$(dpkg-deb --contents ${CCdeb2} | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 6 -d ' ' | sed -e 's%^\.%%' | grep '/opt/')"

Error message : dpkg-deb: unrecognized option: contents

--contents is not a valid option, the valid option is -c

But It still does not work with -c instead of --contents.

# dpkg-deb -c google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
dpkg-deb: corrupted data
dpkg-deb: short read

Found the cause. Kirkstone has the 'dpkg' package, which has the full 'dpkg-deb' utility. I ran PKGget and installed it, as well as 'libmd' dep, and now Chrome installed successfully, running it now.

Interesting, that 'dpkg-deb' in easyVoid is a busybox applet, and the "-c" option doesn't work. I tested on a different .deb file and it did work. Hmmm. Anyway, the full 'dpkg-deb' works.

I will add 'dpkg' to the package-list for the next release of easyVoid.

Got other things to do today, have to tear myself away from the computer screen. Back tonight.

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Manual frugal install to internal nvme drive. All so far seems good. Did usual config changes I do with EasyOS on setup. First thing noticed is that the touchpad sensitivity is much better in Easy Void, the cursor does not jump around like in Easy 5.6.5. I couldn't adjust the Touchpad in Kirkstone or Dunfell, but flSynclient works in Void. This was the main improvement I was hoping for with Easy Void, so I'm very pleased.

I installed Zoom AppImage and also updated from 5.13.x to latest version 5.17.x, which is functioning correctly.

I also used PkgGet to install Audacious and Audacious-Plugins, they installed but with a missing dependency libEGL. Audacious runs but fails to open audio files.

Due to differences in libEGL in Easyos 5.6.5 and Easy Void 6.0, not sure how to overcome missing dependency. Easy 5.6.5 has libEGL.so.1.0.0 and libEGL.so.1(link); Easy6.0 has libEGL.so.1(link) and libEGL.so.1.1.0 and also libEGL_mesa*.

Screenshots attached.

I have used libreoffice Writer to create and edit a document.

One additional minor thing I was hoping for was that the Keyboard Model of Asus laptop would be included in the selection list for Keyboard Models, as it is in most current releases.

For an alpha release for my needs this is excellent. Thank you for your continued development and for release of Easy Void.

Attachments
libEGL.png
libEGL.png (104.93 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
audacious.png
audacious.png (37 KiB) Viewed 1075 times

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

tammi806

Post by tammi806 »

The only problem I've run into is the resizing of windows when using a resolution less than 1152x864.

1152x864 resolution the windows are working where I can see everything and resize them as I like.

This is on a desktop computer with a 19 inch wide screen monitor.

scsijon

Post by scsijon »

Just wondering if your going to move into Linux 6 kernels with easyVoid anytime soon.
Yes, of course I have a reason, with a "new" graphics tablet coming to me with a Coffee lake Processor (i7-8559U) and that apparently needs at least 6.2 to work "out of the box" properly and we have 6.6.12 the latest stable. The latest series is also suppose to have the settings and modules for a lot of tablet system screens available.
I've got a kernel setting plus two packages to go with it that should be of interest when i've checked them out.

(BTW 5.15.147 is the latest in the 5.15.x series, but not up to coffee lake by two series so not suitable).
regards and thanks.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Download and install without problems

Yes, there was a hiccup when uploading the devx sfs to ibiblio. Not a fault in easyVoid.

Delete /mnt/wkg/sfs/easyos/void/current/devx_6.0_amd64.specs file, as it has the wrong hash.

I have uploaded the correct devx_6.0_amd64.specs file to ibiblio, so run SFSget and it will install correctly.
I have just done that, haven't rebooted yet to test it.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:49 am

Just wondering if your going to move into Linux 6 kernels with easyVoid anytime soon.
Yes, of course I have a reason, with a "new" graphics tablet coming to me with a Coffee lake Processor (i7-8559U) and that apparently needs at least 6.2 to work "out of the box" properly and we have 6.6.12 the latest stable. The latest series is also suppose to have the settings and modules for a lot of tablet system screens available.
I've got a kernel setting plus two packages to go with it that should be of interest when i've checked them out.

(BTW 5.15.147 is the latest in the 5.15.x series, but not up to coffee lake by two series so not suitable).
regards and thanks.

easyVoid 6.0 has kernel 6.6.11

Caramel

Post by Caramel »

BarryK wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:04 am

Yes, there was a hiccup when uploading the devx sfs to ibiblio. Not a fault in easyVoid.

Delete /mnt/wkg/sfs/easyos/void/current/devx_6.0_amd64.specs file, as it has the wrong hash.

I have uploaded the correct devx_6.0_amd64.specs file to ibiblio, so run SFSget and it will install correctly.

Installation with SFSget works but after reboot the same problems : no internet and diffculty for rebooting (restart after entering 2 times reboot in sakura)

EDIT : In devx_6.0_amd64.specs, there is SFS_DB_size='1693092' and devx_6.0_amd64.sfs weighs 386MB

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Caramel wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:37 am
BarryK wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:04 am

Installation with SFSget works but after reboot the same problems : no internet and diffculty for rebooting (restart after entering 2 times reboot in sakura)

EDIT : In devx_6.0_amd64.specs, there is SFS_DB_size='1693092' and devx_6.0_amd64.sfs weighs 386MB

The devx sfs is broken!

I have tested it and discovered why. /usr/sbin is a symlink to usr/bin, which is a broken link. It should just be a symlink to bin.

This bug is in woofQ, when the devx sfs is created. I have fixed it for the next release.

There are many scripts that look to run something in /usr/sbin, and because of the broken symlink pointing to /usr/usr/sbin, there will be a failure.

If you have booted up with the devx installed, remove it by doing this in a terminal:

# ln -snf bin /usr/sbin

Then click on the "setup" icon then EasyOS -> Bootup -> Load extra SFS files
then untick the sfs, then reboot.

Just when I think all the usr-merge problems are solved, another one emerges!

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

TerryH wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:56 am

Manual frugal install to internal nvme drive. All so far seems good. Did usual config changes I do with EasyOS on setup. First thing noticed is that the touchpad sensitivity is much better in Easy Void, the cursor does not jump around like in Easy 5.6.5. I couldn't adjust the Touchpad in Kirkstone or Dunfell, but flSynclient works in Void. This was the main improvement I was hoping for with Easy Void, so I'm very pleased.

I installed Zoom AppImage and also updated from 5.13.x to latest version 5.17.x, which is functioning correctly.

I also used PkgGet to install Audacious and Audacious-Plugins, they installed but with a missing dependency libEGL. Audacious runs but fails to open audio files.

Due to differences in libEGL in Easyos 5.6.5 and Easy Void 6.0, not sure how to overcome missing dependency. Easy 5.6.5 has libEGL.so.1.0.0 and libEGL.so.1(link); Easy6.0 has libEGL.so.1(link) and libEGL.so.1.1.0 and also libEGL_mesa*.

I don't know why get that missing libEGL.

It is a poor show that audacious xbps pkg management does not list audacious-plugins is a required dependency. Audacious requires audacious-plugins to work.

I ran "audacious" from a terminal, and tried to play /usr/share/audio/2barks.au, and got "error opening output stream"

In the terminal, saw that audacious is trying to use pipewire; however, pipewire is currently not installed in easyVoid ...leaving pipewire for future investigation, audaciuos is easy to fix. In the menu:

Output -> Audio settings -> Output plugin -> Pulseaudio

bugnaw333

Post by bugnaw333 »

NO sound--always muted even number of times re-configuring and rebooted.
Also, the background dialogue box is erased (previously covered) by the alsamixerbox when moving the config box or the SCWizard box. :(
Only these two boxes collide each other. Other dialogue boxes are OK.

Best regards,
Reynaldo

Attachments
background.png
background.png (223.09 KiB) Viewed 913 times
easy6.png
easy6.png (430.09 KiB) Viewed 913 times
Federico

Post by Federico »

bugnaw333 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:39 am

Also, the background dialogue box is erased (previously covered) by the alsamixerbox when moving the config box or the SCWizard box. :(

Best regards,
Reynaldo

Please tell us make and model of your PC, CPU and audio chip above all. Otherwise I don't think this info can be useful for development. Have you tried repeating QuickSetup and restarting? I also had no audio at first. After a couple of reboots it started working.

Desktop PC

bugnaw333

Post by bugnaw333 »

:P Toshiba Ultrabook

Attachments
Screenshot(3).png
Screenshot(3).png (35.09 KiB) Viewed 882 times
Federico

Post by Federico »

Regarding the flatpaks execution issue, it looks like if I add a row with the code:

export $(dbus-launch)

to the file /etc/profile , Whatsapp-Desktop starts. But in that case, the system looses its ability to detect the network card (no network and no bluetooth), as long as I don't delete or comment that row. So that I can't have Whatsapp-Desktop and an Internet connection working at the same time.

I can solve the problem by removing the row from /etc/profile, restarting the system and manually creating the environment variable from Sakura:

# export $(dbus-launch)
# whatsapp
F: Can't get document portal: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying
#
Screenshot(3).jpg
Screenshot(3).jpg (87.5 KiB) Viewed 865 times

before starting Whatsapp-Desktop.

Desktop PC

Federico

Post by Federico »

Also on my system PKGget always says for some reason that libEGL and libGL are missing. The glxinfo command works but not glxgears:

# glxgears
bash: glxgears: command not found
# 

and it looks like glxgears can't be installed, at least not from the repo.

Desktop PC

Federico

Post by Federico »

Sorry, I need to correct myself.

It seems that it doesn't matter if I type

# export $(dbus-launch)

on Sakura before launching Whatsapp. The only way to let Whatsapp start is to run the system without the row export $(dbus-launch) on /etc/profile and afterwards, when the system has booted, manually editing the file, adding (or uncommenting) the row, saving the file and directly starting Whatsapp, without rebooting.

Obviously, one must always remember to comment the line once again before shutting down the system, otherwise the network card won't be detected at the next boot.

Desktop PC

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

rockedge wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:24 am

I think it needs a dBus session started as the user executing the applications.

Fixed.

If you install, say, Shotcut flatpak, you will find /usr/bin/shotcut and /usr/bin/shotcut.bin
As each flatpak and appimage app runs as it's own user, /usr/bin/shotcut will login to user "shotcut" and then call shotcut.bin
shotcut.bin then runs 'dbus-launch', which starts a dbus daemon instance for user 'shotcut'
Then shotcut.bin runs the actual shotcut app.

The code in *.bin was a bit flakey, sometimes works, sometimes not. In the case of Un-Googled Chromium, not.
The problem affects Kirkstone also.

The two fixed scripts are /usr/local/appimage/appimage and /usr/local/flatpak/flatpak

As many people are interested in UnGoogled Chromium, I have added it to Flapi, so now builtin.

Will probably upload easyVoid 6.0.1 within the next couple of days, and it will be best to test a fresh install, given how many fixes are occurring.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Federico wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:31 pm

Strangely enough PKGget did not work at first [no internet]

pkgget does this to test internet:

ping -4 -c 1 -w 5 -q google.com
  if [ $? -ne 0 ];then
   E1="$(gettext 'PKGget requires Internet access')"
   popup "background=#ffa0a0 terminate=ok process=wait level=top|<big>${E1}</big>"
   exit
  fi

Don't know why ping failed in your case.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

TerryH wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:56 am

This is actually a bug in the Void package database.

Some packages show "libEGL" as a dependency; however, there is no such package in the Void repository.

I will fix that by telling PKGget to ignore that dep.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

bugnaw333 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:39 am

Best regards,
Reynaldo

Try a fresh install, and don't do anything in MSCW, just exit from it.

The middle-mouse-click on the audio tray icon to unmute, then left-click to bring up the volume.

There have been reports with kirkstone, that this works, and MSCW just messes things up

(in which case MSCW needs some TLC)

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Federico wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:03 pm

The glxinfo command works but not glxgears:

# glxgears
bash: glxgears: command not found
# 

and it looks like glxgears can't be installed, at least not from the repo.

Yes, it seems glxgears is not in the Void package repo.

Return to “EasyOS”