Precise Light by JRB

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Re: Precise Light by JRB

Post by mikewalsh »

6502coder wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:41 pm

This may be relevant:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=119152

Mm-hm. I agree with this whole-heartedly. I performed this "hack" with pemasu's Raring 3992, and it brought the repos back online with no issues.

Canonical still keep every single bit of software they've ever produced for Ubuntu, dating all the way back to 2004. This includes all the various distro-release package listings, which is what the Puppy Package Manager uses, and reads from. These in turn will permit whatever 'buntu-based Pup you're using to access the appropriate parts of the main 'pool' archive & retrieve the selected, date-correct items for it to use.

@stuvxz :-

Ya gotta bear the following in mind. Precise-light is based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin". This was released in April 2012, and was the first LTS release to gain the full 5 years support package, OK? Officially, this OS hit EOL in April 2017.

Now, at EOL Ubuntu move the repos for any given release into the "old-releases" package archive pool. In the case of very popular versions (and "Precise" was very definitely one of these), the repos tend to stay in the normal location for rather longer. I remember, for sure, that the Precise repos were still functioning as of November 2019, shortly before the pandemic began to develop. This was almost unheard of, but it just goes to show that a great many people - including quite a number of enterprise users who had moved their office systems across to Linux during this time-frame - were STILL using it.

I would have been extremely surprised if things had continued in that vein for very much longer.

Follow 6502coder's link, and have a look. It involves locating, and opening, a normally unaccessed file in /root. It looks daunting, when you first open the file with your favourite text-editor, but in fact it only involves editing 3 or 4 lines & editing a small portion of the URL for each of them.

When you're done, you've double-checked, are happy with the result, and have 'Saved'/closed the file, don't forget to update the repos again so that they're reading from the new location.....

Let us know if you're successful, please? Thanks.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

stuvxz

Post by stuvxz »

Yes. I will. Thanks Mike. I did know the support had ended in 2017 for Ubuntu 12.04 - I will try the method at 6502coder's link.
Thank you 6502coder. I know I should be the one looking for stuff that has been already discussed in the forum. But to be frank, most of the times I can not find the relevant answer, or I find so many different suggestions that I end up overwhelmed trying different approaches that end up not working. (sorry for the broken english). E.g. An alternative would be to be able to create a save file from the current system which would load entirely into RAM. I suppose that that is something possible to do. And probably not hard to figure out. Well, I have been using Puppy Linux and derivatives since, at least 2005, and I haven't been able to accomplish that in spite of many many attempts. I have an old Acer, athom CPU, 512Mb RAM. This Precise Light by JRB works like a charm. But I cannot have much stuff installed due to lack of space. So I would install and uninstall depending on the circumstances and needs. I have also noticed that with this CPU a frugal installation ends up getting too slow. However if the system is loaded into the RAM it becomes fast enough for a daily use. Thanks. Cheers.

6502coder

Post by 6502coder »

@stuvxz

Not to worry. Stuff IS hard to find in the Puppy forums. I knew I had seen this repo fix discussed but when I to search for it to send you the link, I couldn't find it! Luckily I keep a notes file where I often record useful URLs related to Puppy tips that I think might be useful "someday," and I was able to find it there because I run Precise Light too and had made a note of the URL.

xenial

Post by xenial »

I am very much interested in precise light and have downloaded and shall have a tinker on my usb drive.Quite a few pups in my kennel now and love it.

Return to “Puppy Derivatives”