Fossa64 Low - CLOSED

Moderator: Forum moderators

Jasper

Re: Fossa64 Low

Post by Jasper »

As FFMpeg is not included ........... which I need for the x264 codec for playback on websites (primarily the BBC). Youtube works fine.

I tried an old x264 compilation, but realised that was only the encoder from VLC.

Looked at the OpenH264 lib from Cisco and moved it into all the library directories with no success.

https://github.com/cisco/openh264

I will have a try at building the latest release and see if that works.

**UPDATE***

Not 100% sure this has been compiled correctly. It was installed easily enough on my PC but unsure if the PET works properly.

YouTube looks smoother IMO.

openh264-2.3.1-x86_64
https://www.mediafire.com/file/8r02g9j1 ... 4.pet/file

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Check the firefox update setting. "Allow firefox to automatically install updates" used to refer ONLY to addons which is why I OK'd it. Maybe firefox changed the meaning of that choice.

At any rate, as an READ-ONLY SFS under PupMode13 with only manual Saves, the automatic updates can be tested but aren't preserved.To preserve them you have to move the portable folder from /opt to a partition or execute a Save.

Also, this is the ESR (extended release) version of firefox. Targeted for business enterprises it is more extensively tested and not as frequently updated.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

I've disabled every single update in about:config. The app update was already disabled but there are numerous other updates that also run every single time if you don't disable it. Let's see if this works now...

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Tried another codec compilation .... Dirac (developed by the BBC R&D Dept)

dirac-GIT-12-06-2023-x86_64
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ar4aqp2v ... 4.pet/file

Didn't playback the embedded video :cry:

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@Jasper - as mikeslr said, adrv is for browsers. ydrv is for personal settings. That's the Puppy convention of the last few years, so I stuck with it.

Last edited by ozsouth on Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:29 am, edited 7 times in total.
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Jasper wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:57 pm

As FFMpeg is not included ........... which I need for the x264 codec for playback on websites (primarily the BBC)...

I don't know if it will work for all BBC's publications, but MIkewalsh's Brave-portable, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 662#p59662 plays videos on BBC News, for example https://www.bbc.com/news/av/10462520. It may not be ffmpeg you need, but rather WidevineCdm, which I think he specifically includes in all his portables.

The same video plays under the firefox-esr I mentioned earlier in this thread. firefox handles DRM content differently.

I'm on the wrong side of 'The Pond' to test BBC Movies.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@ozsouth thanks for the answer/reply.

@mikeslr thanks for the input and solution.

The reason why I mentioned FFMpeg as it is used set as enabled in Palemoon

I did try to use binaries I had compiled before and also some pre-compiled static binaries (John Van Sickle). Neither worked.

I looked at compiling Palemoon myself and saw that it needs a number of libraries/tools of which I need to use in order to do so. Plus, I am guessing it will max out my available RAM :oops:

https://developer.palemoon.org/build/linux/

I guess @mikeslr the use of a "portable" application is the easiest way to resolve the issue :thumbup2:

**NB

Don't know if this is a bug (or just old coding???), PExtract calls upon 7z to extract files. The recent binary for this application is 7zz && 7zzs. So extraction fails.

**Also tried a pre-compiled GTK2 Palemoon (Steven Pusser) .......... no luck either :cry:

https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... e=palemoon

ozsouth

Re: Fossa64 Low ffmpeg

Post by ozsouth »

@Jasper - I see ffmpeg use is enabled in about:config. I used @mikewalsh 's palemoon package & updated it. Mike would (quite reasonably) expect that folk would be using standard puppies, which have ffmpeg installed. Although ffmpeg itself is small, the myriad of library dependencies would make it a very big package. Not sure how much difference it would make to content access, but will test. Ah, the hazards of pruning.

LATER: FFmpeg is the answer to playing some online media content! After sifting 122 files, I've made a 31mb .pet, which now plays video via palemoon: tubitv.com, dailymotion.com, bbc.com/news, afl.com.au, 7plus.com.au, sbs.com.au/ondemand, all of which failed before. iview.abc.net.au & nrl.com.au wouldn't play & I'm sure some others won't too. My 2 Oz subscription services won't. I don't have netflix. Apulse is not needed. Note: ffmpeg can also do video editing.

Last edited by ozsouth on Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@ozsouth

Many thanks for providing this :thumbup:

Tested and working

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Even though I am using the <Prt Sc> button and MtPaint

I made this earlier and it works

scrot (SCReen shOT) is a simple command-line screen capture utility

scrot-1.10-x86_64
https://www.mediafire.com/file/uk95xo08 ... 4.pet/file

Simple usage for get a screengrab of your current open window

scrot -u pic.png

You can change the filename and format eg

scrot -u openwindow.jpg

Or if you could create a script and associate an icon to it

Last edited by Jasper on Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@ozsouth / @Jasper :-

Under normal circumstances, I have no need for lightweight, bare-bones Puppies. There's so much RAM & storage to play with on this relatively new HP Pavilion desktop rig, there's no point my trying to keep things small.

With the Dell Latitude I snagged last year, of course, it's a different story. 4 GB max RAM, 120 GB SSD (+ a pair of 256 GB SanDisk flashdrives permanently plugged-in for all my media, but I don't use them for booting from; they're USB 3.2-gen drives, and won't boot through a USB 2.0 port, so storage only.

It's running Fossapup64 9.5 'standard', and Xenialpup64. TBH, I spend more time in Xenial than I do Fossa, so.....I might try this on the Latitude, just for the hell of it.

-----------------------------------

As for ffmpeg, yeah; I do recall having issues like you mentioned with earlier versions of PaleMoon in older Puppies. I long ago realised that Puppy's 'anaemic' ffmpeg was as 'stripped-back' and 'minimal' on functionality as it could possibly be.....all in the interests of keeping it tiny.

When Will McEwan (wiak) was developing WeX a few years back, Fred was helping him out with a lot of stuff.....and found the website belonging to John Van Sickle, who provides 'statically-compiled' builds of ffmpeg. Ever since then, that's all I use; with any new Pup, I just replace the built-in ffmpeg with one of John's builds, and "Bob's yr Uncle"!

Sorted.

(Might not suit some folks, though, since some of the recent builds are getting rather large....) :roll: Works for me, though.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@mikewalsh
Does your latest portable Firefox work with Xenial64? I may download Xenial64, it may be lighter on resources for an older machine in comparison to Fossa64 (which does seem to do okay on my machine). When you have an old machine it's always a good idea to test which works best.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

amethyst wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:17 am

@mikewalsh
Does your latest portable Firefox work with Xenial64? I may download Xenial64, it may be lighter on resources for an older machine in comparison to Fossa64 (which does seem to do okay on my machine). When you have an old machine it's always a good idea to test which works best.

Yeah, should do, Nic. It works for me. Not that I use it much - I prefer the Chromium 'clones' - but I always have a recent 'zilla-based browser kicking around somewhere as a 'backup'.....simply because you never know.

Mike. ;)

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

I never seem to get desktop entries to be fully functional ............. regardless

I only decided to build this as I saw in the default applications chooser this option was available previously.

There are no desktop entries and no gui/skin is included.

I have not made this into a PET as there are two components - Mplayer (viewer) and Mencoder (encoder).

Both binaries are 20mb in size but have FFMpeg included.

So, it is just provided as a compressed file, just unextract and remove/delete the binary you do not need.

mplayer-2023-06-13-x86_64
https://www.mediafire.com/file/8y9mk44p ... ar.xz/file

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Went back to add the GUI

This is just Mplayer ........with a desktop entry :thumbup:

mplayer-2023-06-13-x86_64
https://www.mediafire.com/file/5cqtwc17 ... 4.pet/file

**NB**

The default media player is Gnome-Mplayer

Instead of having 2x media players, you can use the binary instead.

Extract the PET and copy over the Mplayer binary to overwrite the existing one in

/usr/bin

Last edited by Jasper on Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Jasper wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:08 am

I never seem to get desktop entries to be fully functional .............

@Jasper :-

This might be worth a read:-

viewtopic.php?t=3420

I've been writing these things for years, and for Puppy, we really only need a small fraction of the hundreds of lines you often find in some .desktop entries.....because those .desktop entries are trying to cater to localization for every possible language in use worldwide. That's what all those extra lines are mainly for, along with also attempting to cater for every possible DE in use.

See what you think. I thought the knowledge would be appreciated by others, since it's a question that periodically crops up, over & over again.

Once you've written a few, it soon becomes second nature. :)

Mike. ;)

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Aria2c - utility to download files

Built without Libssh2

Required:
aria2-1.36.0-x86_64
https://www.mediafire.com/file/vu6g2s45 ... 4.pet/file
c-ares-1.19.1-x86_64 - C library for asynchronous DNS requests
https://www.mediafire.com/file/udnzd774 ... 4.pet/file

Optional:

Docs & NLS
https://www.mediafire.com/file/n59nrspo ... 4.pet/file
https://www.mediafire.com/file/vhn296pq ... 4.pet/file

Library:
libssh2-1.11.0-x86_64 - C library implementing the SSH2 protocol
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ewpohxxk ... 4.pet/file

Tip :idea:

If you get a SSL/TLS error from a website when attempting to download, then use

aria2c --check-certificate=false <your url>

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

........ only realised that I could not connect my phone to my PC today.

Tried using the PPM to find the application but it did not show up after a fresh update of the repositories @ Ubuntu.

Got it working and can copy files backwards and forwards.

Required:

simple-mtpfs-GIT-13-06-2023-x86_64
https://www.mediafire.com/file/rs0sd1vr ... 4.pet/file

libmtp-1.1.21-x86_64
https://www.mediafire.com/file/99d9617x ... 4.pet/file

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

feh - X11 image viewer

feh-3.10
https://www.mediafire.com/file/prnw3qfe ... 0.pet/file

In the Default Applications Chooser - for Image Viewer, type in feh & SAVE

Once you click on the image it will display in a window.

Click inside the image for the Menu options.

Use the left and right ARROW keys to zoooooom in and ooooooooout :roll:

Last edited by Jasper on Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Tip to share ............. if you have a file that you do not know if you have an application that will open it.

Try in terminal

xdg-open <filename>

Hopefully, it will open.

If you get an error code, best start looking for the application! :lol:

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@Jasper - Thanks for yor efforts, but some of the pupmtp stuff was there, so I made a complete .pet from the fossapup original. Attached below.

I can smell version 4 coming with all prior (& kernel 5.10.182) except I'll leave ffmpeg & Ted as optional extras.

Last edited by ozsouth on Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:00 am, edited 6 times in total.
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@ozsouth

Thanks for the new files :thumbup:

TBH I did not realise until I had to move some files over and realised I could not create a link with my phone. Also, I do know how to extract applications from the default build :oops:

@plinej has a large number of applications using FFMpeg that cover a lot of audio/video/image applications which only require Yad to be installed alongside.

I was going to attempt to compile "Shutter" which is a screenshot application ......... it only requires an additional Perl module.

https://shutter-project.org/

https://github.com/shutter-project/shutter

So, was going to learn today how to download/install it :lol: ............ actually this lean Puppy is teaching me a lot about how the OS works :thumbup:

........... if anyone is using a USB flashdrive installation of this OS.

Attached is an updated grldr binary which can be used instead of the original one. It boots up a bit quicker :thumbup:

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

amethyst wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:10 pm

I've disabled every single update in about:config. The app update was already disabled but there are numerous other updates that also run every single time if you don't disable it. Let's see if this works now...

I can confirm that this seems to work with the latest Firefox portable. You need to turn-off every single reference to update in about:config otherwise the thing will just proceed with automatic checking and updating at every startup.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@ozsouth

I frequently use the create a PET application and would like to know if it can be modified to add in an additional two lines of code that I believe would be useful.

These were kindly provided by @mistfire

viewtopic.php?p=76410#p76410

To strip files

find <folder> -type f | xargs -i strip --strip-unneeded '{}'

To strip library files

find <folder> -type f -name "*.so*" | xargs -i strip --strip-unneeded '{}'

Once the files have been populated into directories, the two lines of code would strip the binaries & libs before a finalised PET.

I do not know where to find the application (Dir2PET ???) in the OS in order to make the changes or how to insert them in correctly.

It would be good to do this automatically ........... I do this manually each time :lol:

I am using in terminal

new2dir make install

ozsouth

Re: Fossa64 Low & 2 more .pets

Post by ozsouth »

@Jasper - I haven't used new2dir, but mistfire is very good at programming. I use dir2pet.

Last edited by ozsouth on Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Jasper :-

Most of the "dir2...." scripts are in /sbin, but "dir2pet" is in /usr/bin. Probably because it gets more use than most of the others.

Mike. ;)

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@ozsouth && @mikewalsh

This is the step where the code would be useful .......... found the script and it was coded by BarryK

I have to admit, I am surprised at how well this build functions. Yeah, I know you have stripped it down but there's a lot still available under the hood. Your supplemental PET files, show how much can be achieved with the minimal fuss.

I do miss Python for some applications, but to be honest, the lean build does really makes me question what is important.

Mikewalsh has a repository full of portable applications that can be used on a day to day basis. The inclusion of AUFS does help a lot loading/unloading applications.

Right now I am on my full fat FP95 and the difference in RAM has to be over 1GB. There isn't anything more significant between the Low and Full Fat version.

....... I'll leave ffmpeg & Ted as optional extras

The Gnome-Mplayer has FFMpeg combined and leaving it out as a separate application does not make any difference apart from multimedia playback on certain websites.

Looking forward to updates as and when they come ................... a change to the 3.x build of OpenSSL would be pushing the boat out :lol: ....... I will have a go at adding this and alternatives GnuTLS, LibreSSL etc

Thanks as always :thumbup2:

BTW ........... what is going on ...... the 6.xx kernels have jumped up in revisions in the past week :lol:

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@ Jasper - missing libraries are the biggest problem when adding/removing software. I'm mostly fixing things for V4.

ozsouth

Fossa64 Low V4 released

Post by ozsouth »

V4 released - 244mb - see 1st post.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@ozsouth

Many thanks as always for the updates and new ISO.

Grabbing it now :thumbup2:

Return to “Re-masters”