Vivaldi browser as a replacement for Pale Moon.

Moderator: Forum moderators

JASpup

Re: Vivaldi browser as a replacement for Pale Moon.

Post by JASpup »

Vivaldi is on par with the best browsers and beats everything on aesthetics if you don't mind a highly styled interface, so why not?

I would swear the latest version I could get to run in Tahr was 1.9 (which is still above-average compatible), but there's a 3-era standalone out there which runs too.

What else is there? Performance. Compatibility. System resources.

I was imagining an older browser is going to be lighter and more efficient, but as new pages are 'looking' for new browsers, compatibility with new browsers is going to mean better performance.

Security and performance are going to be a confluence of a factors that are not hard and fast conventions.

I've gotten excellent performance recently in Firefox on Ubuntu 64, so Mozilla isn't the problem. In Puppy 32 world I was believing Chromium is best for benchmark results.

I can't really talk shop because I don't settle on a browser. One's for news and social networking, another is for commerce, a third is for education & research, etc.

If Vivaldi will maintain 32 more power to it. I would be happy there or on Iron. I suspect more will be dropping by the wayside until we're left with only a couple choices.

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

xenial

Post by xenial »

it is not on a par in terms of performance.I wouldn't hold your breath in regard to a vivaldi extension store as i am of the belief that will never happen as the extensions will be baked into the browser code.

Tab tiling i can achieve in firefox via an extension like it should be so i the user are given a choice.
same with tab stacking which can be achieved via an extension in firefox.

Don't get me wrong,i am not trying to rain on the parade but just giving some clarity between firefox and vivaldi.
Vivaldi is using the old gimmick trick to attract users so it can be profitable but the problem is that novelty can be short-lived and instead of gaining users the exact opposite will occur and users will leave.

This is why i believe mozilla firefox is the better browser in terms of user choice and doesn't bloat the browser out with features which nobody asked for or maybe did not want,this is why extensions exist.

tallboy

Post by tallboy »

Vivaldi is using the old gimmick trick to attract users so it can be profitable...

Funny that is is totally free, then!

sonny

Post by sonny »

In each of my computers, Vivaldi feels sluggish and least responsive compared to Brave, Chrome, & Firefox.
However, Vivaldi offers unique features some people love (i.e. students, writers).
So, just use the RIGHT browser RIGHT.

Note: As for me and as for now, Opera is not the right browser

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

sonny wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:58 pm

In each of my computers, Vivaldi feels sluggish and least responsive compared to Brave, Chrome, & Firefox.

I find some uses happen deliberately, and others I'm falling into.

Vivaldi has a splashy startup, taking over the whole screen. Every browser seems to load slowly initially, but if you close it and run again it's faster.

On the middle bridge I with cautious naivety run them all for different purposes, because I assume use and identity data in each browser config & cache directories that isn't secure.

E.g., I never social network and shop in the same browser.

If I knew how privacy worked, I'd probably just use a couple browsers, but I'm not that technical.

Opera is my current favorite Android browser.
I'm using Brave 64-bit, hooked by its effective VPN.
32-bit it's Chromium mostly.

'Course Pale Moon or Firefox are on tap as being builtin.

Yet if they all worked the same and I could only choose one, it'd probably be Vivaldi. It takes an exotic approach to settings that has an Italian (i.e., not completely logical, feel), but it doesn't seem like anything important is lacking.

The guy who designed the UI is on Twitter, got like nods from him in the past.

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

sonny

Post by sonny »

I don't use Opera due to WHO is behind it.
Absolutely no peace of mind when browsing with it, so why should I?

xenial

Post by xenial »

Too many bugs in vivaldi and some of them are inexcusable,bugs which have been in the browser for years not being fixed and it seems the vivaldi team just does as they like and says sod the users with bugs.My favourite would be mozilla firefox as it is not so buggy and does not have the quirks which vivaldi has.

I gave up reporting bugs to them as they simply ignore bug reports and keep inserting useless features and gimmicks which nobody asked for or wanted.

EfficientPup

Post by EfficientPup »

I've been trying to get Vivaldi working on BionicPup64 for quite some time but it will crash on almost every site especially heavy ones no matter what version I use (fresh install). I tried the portable, latest, and then a 3.7 version which works fine on Ubuntu where I tested the same sites and unfortunately the problem is within puppy or Bionic. This is soul-crushing, I'm too deep in Vivaldi now to leave or change with all my settings and history, notes, etc. I can't practically use the OS without the browser working, it comes first then the OS. I need to know what troubleshooting to try that it may not be a huge issue or have someone who is currently using Vivaldi post their exact specs and setup with the OS. I can eventually try different pups and different hardware but that's a ways off.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I have Mike's portable running fine under Bionicpup64. Will double-check fossa**. See below.
Start vivaldi via a terminal. When it crashes, the last lines of the terminal output will provide information about what went wrong. Copy & paste them into a post.
Also would help if we knew the URLs of at least some of the websites where it crashed.

Perhaps responding to inquiries about how to strip a Puppy, 666philb published fossapup64 in a kind-of unique way: a lot of applications (and their dependencies) were located in an adrv.sfs included within the ISO. But fossapup64 could boot to desktop without that adrv.sfs being present; thus, a core OS with a bare minimum of applications.
I've been exploring that minimal fossa for the last couple of days. One thing I discovered it that although all the web-browsers I tried opened and were almost completely functional, with one exception*, all crashed if I Right-Clicked a graphic and tried to save it. Examination revealed a 'glib schema' error; the same being reported elsewhere on the web.
I use fire-fox & its clones for some things; and Chromium & its clones for others. See darry19662018's two posts here about the current 'mozilla' dependencies. viewtopic.php?f=90&t=261. Since I install these as a matter of course, I can't tell you if they may also now be 'chromium' dependencies. vivaldi is a chromium fork. Installing the three can't hurt and may help. As I said, Mike Walsh's vivaldi-portable runs fine under my Bionicpup64.

=-=-=-=--
* Dooble is the exception. It's built differently than either Chromium or mozilla.

** The glib schema error under 'Fossa-stripped' --despite the aforementioned dependencies having been installed-- AFAIK doesn't happen under other Puppies; including the 'non-stripped' fossa from which I'm now posting.

EfficientPup

Post by EfficientPup »

@mikeslr

Thanks for that interesting info. I think I would've spent a lot of time tinkering with puppy when I was a young pup since I liked discovering how it all worked but back in the day you couldn't recover from some real messes made like you can easily now. I probably will in the future anyways ha.

I just noticed again last night the "Start vivaldi via a terminal" lines in the About page. I haven't done that yet either so that's good. I don't know if I should post the error in a new topic in this sub, bugs, or the beginner section.

I'm a browser connoisseur so I have no problem trying many of them out to check their resource usage and behavior. I like testing them to see which are the most efficient and resource friendly hence my username. I just happened to read about Dooble yesterday :lol: .

LateAdopter

Post by LateAdopter »

I use Vivaldi 2.7 on Bionicpup64 because that was the least buggy version recently. That doesn't crash on my system. Unfortunately 2.7 segfaults on Fossapup64 so I use 3.3 or 3.4 (the last minor update in each series)

The 3.x series seems to be more buggy and bloated without adding any features that I want.

Make sure that "use hardware decoding if available" is turned off. Hardware decoding is a common cause of problems that depend on the particular hardware that you have.

EfficientPup

Post by EfficientPup »

@LateAdopter

I started using Vivaldi when version 3.x started as I wasn't a fan of the slowness and clunky nature before then, that was on WinBloats. I've never had too many bugs and I don't remember a page ever crashing which is incredible.

I forgot about that hardware decoding thing, I've been in the Viv circles hearing about that a lot, yeah that is definitely a possible suspect :thumbup: . Thanks.

Return to “Browsers and Internet”