Created a fossapup64_9.5 boot USB memory stick with e3StickPup

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

Re: Created a fossapup64_9.5 boot USB memory stick with e3StickPup

Post by Clarity »

@Governor I have published on a similar problem with a USB partition denying mount. I can help but FIRST, I need you to post the results of this terminal command for me from the system with the problem before I step in. Command: "lsblk"

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Clarity wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:33 pm

@Governor I have published on a similar problem with a USB partition denying mount. I can help but FIRST, I need you to post the results of this terminal command for me from the system with the problem before I step in. Command: "lsblk"

All of his partitions mount, he was having issues with his external exfat/vfat/ntfs drives that were mounted but not writeable, they were read only, but he fixed one apparently. Whether he's done the same for the second is unknown.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Governor

Post by Governor »

geo_c wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:36 pm
williwaw wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:13 pm

lol.
I wonder how windows got borked on the NVMe? or if windows borked the NVMe?

I knew there was a reason @Governor never answered me when I asked him 2 years ago what lead to his windows install being tanked to the point of not booting.

The phrase "atypical Windows user" comes to mind.

ICYMI, Windows is not a problem free OS. :P
I don't remember what happened when Windows made its final crash, but when the computer would no longer boot, I had enough, and decided to switch to Linux, for better or for worse. I do not have a Linux background, and I personally find some things in Puppy illogical. I am trying to get a grip on it. It is much more difficult for me to work with than Windows. And one reason, that many features I used in Windows are absent from Puppy, and there is no point in beating around the bush about it. When I started Puppy, it took me about 6 times longer to do stuff, now it is down to around 4 times longer. I never had to use my mouse so much before, and I got carpal tunnel syndrome. Keyboard shortcuts are much faster.

Actually I had tried Red Hat Linux in the late 1990s way before systemd, but it was a CLI OS at that time, and I simply could not deal with it. I did some recent research before arriving at Puppy, and I have tried several other distros. Puppy was my choice, and I am not giving up.
Cheers!

Last edited by Governor on Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out alive.

Governor

Post by Governor »

Governor wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:38 pm
bigpup wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:51 am

@Governor

Is this the same computer you have been having issues with, you have talked about in other topics?
If yes.

Unless you can tell us, that some specific operating system can run the computer, with no problem.

I think the computer is having hardware issues.
Hardware that is not always working correctly.

You know you could be right, I wonder if it is a hardware failure. This laptop I am using came with Windows 10 pre-installed. I used that for about 1½ years.
When Windows crashed the last time, I was unable to resurrect it with any recovery methods including rescue CD or Macrium Reflect. The only other option I had available was to boot a Linux CD and that is how I got here.

lol.
I wonder how Windows got borked on the NVMe?

Deleting the visible files may not be enough, or even repartitioning the disk, if remnants of previous partition tables and boot code still exist, especially GPT tables at the end of the disk. Sometimes easiest to just overwrite the whole drive and start from scratch when e2fsprogs reports....

Either the superblock or the partitiontable is likely to be corrupt!

viewtopic.php?t=11508

williwaw wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:13 pm

......... if the drive is corrupted. you will want to copy all files you desire to keep to an external drive
wipe the drive with dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/nvme0n1 status=progress (this may take a long time)
prepare to use diskpup by planing your new partition arrangement carefully before using gparted
http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/fru ... index.html

I have tested both the sdd drive and memory for errors, and there were none. Do mean there may be errors that have not been detected?

If so, this means I will need an empty 500GB external drive which is formatted to ext3, so files will not be corrupted on transfer, which has happened before.
A USB hdd will be quite slow, which means I might have to get a USB SSD drive which is expensive. I can use the one USB 3 port I have, the other two USB ports are USB 2.
I must think about this.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:48 am

ICYMI, Windows is not a problem free OS. :P.. and I personally find some things in Puppy illogical. .
Cheers!

I'm hearing you say that Microsoft Windows was to blame for the crash.

I think what @williwaw and I are trying to convey is that if any variation of your Stick-It-To-Windows-Update batch script was running at the time. especially when one or two of those Windows10 updates were more like complete version upgrades basically downloading the entire OS and re-installing, then your script breaking off the install in the middle would bork the entire OS, and possibly corrupt the nvme drive.

See the logic?

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

if [ -e Stick-It-To-Windows-Update.bat ]
then 
  bork C:*.* ; exit
else
  echo "We're updating your Windows Experience, Here's what's new!"
fi

geo_c

Governor

Post by Governor »

geo_c wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:57 am

Governor wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:48 am

ICYMI, Windows is not a problem free OS. :P.. and I personally find some things in Puppy illogical. .
Cheers!

I'm hearing you say that Microsoft Windows was to blame for the crash.

I think what @williwaw and I are trying to convey is that if any variation of your Stick-It-To-Windows-Update batch script was running at the time. especially when one or two of those Windows10 updates were more like complete version upgrades basically downloading the entire OS and re-installing, then your script breaking off the install in the middle would bork the entire OS, and possibly corrupt the nvme drive.

See the logic?

#!/bin/bash

if [ -e Stick-It-To-Windows-Update.bat ]
then 
  bork C:*.* ; exit
else
  echo "We're updating your Windows Experience, Here's what's new!"
fi

No that never happened. The batch is running on a Windows computer here, but it is not my computer. And it hasn't crashed.
The batch also deletes the .etl files in the Windows temp folder. The worst that happened was the Window updater had no files to update with and stopped again, but it usually doesn't get that far.

Governor

Post by Governor »

Clarity wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:33 pm

I am running Bookworm now, and all drives and (I think) all partitions are functioning normally.

NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
loop0         7:0    0 442.2M  1 loop /initrd/pup_ro2
loop1         7:1    0    15M  1 loop /initrd/pup_k
loop2         7:2    0 109.3M  1 loop /initrd/pup_f
loop3         7:3    0  71.6M  1 loop /initrd/pup_z
loop4         7:4    0   8.2M  1 loop /initrd/pup_b
loop5         7:5    0    75M  1 loop /initrd/pup_a
sda           8:0    1   7.5G  0 disk 
├─sda1        8:1    1   128M  0 part 
└─sda2        8:2    1   7.3G  0 part /initrd/mnt/dev_save
sdb           8:16   0 931.5G  0 disk 
└─sdb1        8:17   0 931.5G  0 part /mnt/sdb1
sdc           8:32   0   1.8T  0 disk 
└─sdc1        8:33   0   1.8T  0 part /mnt/sdc1
sdd           8:48   0   1.8T  0 disk 
├─sdd1        8:49   0   1.2T  0 part /mnt/sdd1
└─sdd2        8:50   0 683.6G  0 part 
sde           8:64   1  28.9G  0 disk 
└─sde1        8:65   1  28.8G  0 part 
zram0       254:0    0   9.4G  0 disk [SWAP]
nvme0n1     259:0    0 476.9G  0 disk 
├─nvme0n1p1 259:1    0     2G  0 part /mnt/nvme0n1p1
├─nvme0n1p2 259:2    0    20G  0 part /mnt/nvme0n1p2
├─nvme0n1p3 259:3    0  12.4G  0 part /mnt/nvme0n1p3
├─nvme0n1p4 259:4    0 106.1G  0 part /mnt/nvme0n1p4
├─nvme0n1p5 259:5    0 148.9G  0 part /mnt/nvme0n1p5
└─nvme0n1p6 259:6    0 187.6G  0 part /mnt/nvme0n1p6

Does anyone know how to stop the desk monitor from going black when I close the laptop?

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

If Windows OS is on this computer.

You must do a complete normal shutdown of Windows.

Any other type Windows shutdown, will not totally release control of the computer.

Hibernation mode is the worst one! :thumbdown: :twisted: :evil:

So always make sure Windows is completely shutdown normally!!!!!!!!
Even do a complete power off for a minute or two, before booting from something else.
This gives time for anything still in memory to completely clear out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fossapup64 9.5 does not have support files and programs for working with exfat format.

If you want to do anything with exfat format you have to add the needed programs and files.
But even that is not 100% full support.
Exfatprogs software package needs to be added.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:46 pm

No that never happened. The batch is running on a Windows computer here, but it is not my computer. And it hasn't crashed.
The batch also deletes the .etl files in the Windows temp folder. The worst that happened was the Window updater had no files to update with and stopped again, but it usually doesn't get that far.

Not to be nit picky, and it may just be that an ambiguous use of verb tenses on your part is conveying a misunderstanding. What I was suggesting is that when you at one time ran Windows on this particular machine with the nvme that we've been discussing for so long, back in the days when it was a windows machine, perhaps there may have been at that time a user script present and running resident that might have had some role in borking the windows install.

You seem to be saying that it is not currently running, and we of course assume that to be the case anyway since you no longer have windows installed on this current machine running puppy.

Of course the past is the past, and let the dead bury their Windows, we must think toward the glorious future when you finally get hooked and are running 10 different puppies successfully.

Last edited by geo_c on Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

geo_c

d-pupp

Post by d-pupp »

LOL
Sorry I should probably just stay our of this... However I use to run a small MS network. This was way back in the day when Windows wasn't so bad.Windows 95, 98 and XP early days at least. :oops:
Anyways almost every time I went to fix a computer "the user never did anything. It just broke" :lol:

Governor

Post by Governor »

geo_c wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 4:20 pm
Governor wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:46 pm

Not to be nit picky, and it may just be that an ambiguous use of verb tenses on your part is conveying a misunderstanding. What I was suggesting is that when you at one time ran Windows on this particular machine with the nvme that we've been discussing for so long, back in the days when it was a windows machine, perhaps there may have been at that time a user script present and running resident that might have had some role in borking the windows install.

You seem to be saying that it is not currently running, and we of course assume that to be the case anyway since you no longer have windows installed on this current machine running puppy.

Of course the past is the past, and let the dead bury their Windows, we must think toward the glorious future when you finally get hooked and are running 10 different puppies successfully.

My laptop computer is the one that Windows crashed on, and truthfully, I have no idea why it happened. If it is because of something I did or didn't do, or an entirely different reason, I don't know, and there is no point in speculation. My laptop (that crashed with Windows) is the only computer I have worked on with Linux in this forum. The computer in the next room with Windows 10 is not mine, and I seldom use it.

Governor

Post by Governor »

d-pupp wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:29 pm

LOL
Sorry I should probably just stay our of this... However I use to run a small MS network. This was way back in the day when Windows wasn't so bad.Windows 95, 98 and XP early days at least. :oops:
Anyways almost every time I went to fix a computer "the user never did anything. It just broke" :lol:

True enough. But if a user makes more than one, or even several changes before the crash, they will have likely no way to know what change may have caused it, and they probably did not document exactly what they did either, and will not be able to remember. I have seen Windows updates crash the computer, but never to the point of no-recovery. Unless an administrator turns it off, Windows automatically keeps a record of everything that transpires on the computer, including folders accessed and programs run. Most users don't know about that.

Edit: I have seen many cases exactly as @d-pupp says, where the user claims he no knowledge of what could have happened. On the other hand, I have not seen a single case where the computer technician shows the user the log file and explains what happened.
1, The tech guy does not have time to do so.
2. The less the user knows, the more likely he will call tech help $$.

Last edited by Governor on Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:39 am

True enough. But if a user makes more than one, or even several changes before the crash, they will have likely no way to know what change may have caused it, and they probably did not document exactly what they did either, and will not be able to remember what they did. I have seen Windows updates crash the computer, but never to the point of no-recovery. Unless an administrator turns it off, Windows automatically keeps a record of everything that transpires on the computer, including folders accessed and programs run. Most users don't know about that.

I'd say this is progress.
One day at a time.

Windows User 12 step recovery:

1) Admitted we are powerless to use MsWindows on our own terms and our OS had become unmanageable.
2) Came to believe puppy-linux could restore our computing experience to sanity.
3) Made a decision to turn our devices and drives over to the linux kernel, as we understood it.
4) Made a searching and fearless inventory of our scritpting abilities.
5) Admitted to the forum, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our bugs.
6) Were entirely ready to have pups, dogs, and KL's remove all these defects in our OS.
7) Humbly asked them to restore our setup
8) Made a list of all scripts we had run, drives we had corrupted,and became willing to reformat them all.
9) Made clean pup installs to drives wherever possible.
10) Continued to take personal inventory, and when we borked an install, promptly admitted it.
11) Sought through RTFM to improve our scripting abilities as we understood them, seeking only for knowledge of well structured code and the power to debug.
12) Having experienced computing liberation as the result of these Steps, we tried to carry this message to other Joe Users, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Last edited by geo_c on Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c

Governor

Post by Governor »

geo_c wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:26 am
Governor wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:39 am

True enough. But if a user makes more than one, or even several changes before the crash, they will have likely no way to know what change may have caused it, and they probably did not document exactly what they did either, and will not be able to remember what they did. I have seen Windows updates crash the computer, but never to the point of no-recovery. Unless an administrator turns it off, Windows automatically keeps a record of everything that transpires on the computer, including folders accessed and programs run. Most users don't know about that.

I'd say this is progress.
One day at a time.

Windows User 12 step recovery:

8<-----snipped-----

I just want to have a reliable OS with a GUI that is logical and is easy to use, so I can do everything I need to do easily and efficiently. I don't know if that is obtainable with Puppy, but I have nowhere else to go, and I am not giving up, and I have made a little progress lately.

Return to “Beginners Help”