Welcome to phpBB3

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

greengeek

Re: Google hides registration activation email

Post by greengeek »

Makoto wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:15 am Yeah... I registered using my old gmail account, just to see what would happen. Gmail intercepted the registration confirmation email and placed it in the server-side spam folder so that my desktop email client would never notice and download it. :roll: I had to use the gmail app on my phone to read the mail and click on the link (and then move it to the inbox so I could download and archive it).
I feel it would be helpful for the forum administrators to highlight your experience Makoto and make it a sticky that new users can read when they register, as it demonstrates how Google particularly is able to hide incoming mails without the user's knowledge.

Do you use Imap at all? Is that why the server never shows the email to your desktop?
darry19662018

Re: Welcome to phpBB3

Post by darry19662018 »

Nice to see you here GG :D
bullpup

Post by bullpup »

Hiya community :thumbup2:

No problems registration wise although the activation link was sent to my 'spam' folder (Gmail).

Thanks rockedge for keeping the community going on a new platform.

Regards, bullpup

"Get a pup", they said. "It'll be fun", they said. They where right!
(Various Pups with save folder in QEMU/KVM)

Makoto

Re: Google hides registration activation email

Post by Makoto »

greengeek wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:47 pmI feel it would be helpful for the forum administrators to highlight your experience Makoto and make it a sticky that new users can read when they register, as it demonstrates how Google particularly is able to hide incoming mails without the user's knowledge.

Do you use Imap at all? Is that why the server never shows the email to your desktop?
Oops... sorry, greengeek, I didn't see this reply (and the notifications didn't mention it, either).

I don't use IMAP. I'm sure someone's going to say I should, but it's mostly been a case of "it's been working fine otherwise." :oops:

But, yes, Google's own spam-detection routines removing emails before my desktop's email program can see them has been a pain, on occasion... gmail once 'hid' an important password-change email from me for another service, for example. :roll:

[ FossaPup64 9.5, Frugal install ]

ThruHammer

Post by ThruHammer »

Bottom line? Free email providers not only decide what you will or won't receive, they SUCK! Paid providers don't pull that crap. You the customer comes first. YOU'RE in the drivers seat. And yes, POP is BS. You SHOULD be using IMAP.
bigphil

Post by bigphil »

Tried my murga-linux login details but no go.
No problems registering - same username same password.

Thanks for the site rockedge.
Regards,
Phil
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

ThruHammer wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:28 am Bottom line? Free email providers not only decide what you will or won't receive, they SUCK! Paid providers don't pull that crap. You the customer comes first. YOU'RE in the drivers seat. And yes, POP is BS. You SHOULD be using IMAP.
I once got a snotty reply from a poster on another forum I belong to, stating why to HIM, being able to use POP was all-important.....and then quoting an instance where he was glad to be able to retrieve an important recruitment document.....from April 1998.

Even legal documents don't need keeping after the 10-year deadline. This guy seemed to be PROUD to be able to say that he had over 25,000 emails stored on his machine....

Jeezus H. Honestly, who cares? :roll:

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

ThruHammer wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:28 am Bottom line? Free email providers not only decide what you will or won't receive, they SUCK! Paid providers don't pull that crap.
I pay for my email services (Fastmail) but unfortunately they still screw me over and demand that i use a browser that Google approves of.

I have tried hard to convince them that I do not want Google (and their FUD "security" stance) to determine how I access my email but they insist that technology has to move lock-step with Google.

So it's not just free email providers who enforce the nose-ring attitude to internet browsers.

I would not mind this attitude if MS or Google had ACTUALLY discovered the secure browser spec - but they have not. It is a (convenient) moving target that keeps them in the driving seat.

To be honest I prefer safe-mail and hushmail. They both seem to still permit access from basic secure browsers and neither goes in for that ReCAPTCHA sh*t.

ps: i am not a robot - i have been paying for my email account for a decade using real human money and no, i an NOT a robot.
Makoto

Post by Makoto »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:26 pmI once got a snotty reply from a poster on another forum I belong to, stating why to HIM, being able to use POP was all-important.....and then quoting an instance where he was glad to be able to retrieve an important recruitment document.....from April 1998.

Even legal documents don't need keeping after the 10-year deadline. This guy seemed to be PROUD to be able to say that he had over 25,000 emails stored on his machine....

Jeezus H. Honestly, who cares? :roll:

Mike. ;)
Hey, I'm a writer-slash-artist in my spare time, and I do like being able to revisit discussions/ideas/etc. I had with a group of authors with whom I regularly communicate, even if it's something we were discussing over a decade ago. :mrgreen: (That, and often, it's easier to find old ideas and art scans in the local email archives than trying to locate them in the many, many binders I have stored away. :) )

Granted, I think the particular email archive on this tower only goes back nine or ten years...
ThruHammer wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:28 am Bottom line? Free email providers not only decide what you will or won't receive, they SUCK! Paid providers don't pull that crap. You the customer comes first. YOU'RE in the drivers seat. And yes, POP is BS. You SHOULD be using IMAP.
I've had it happen with my paid email account, too, just far less often. :|

ETP

Post by ETP »

Finally accessed having read this thread as there had been no sign of an activation email.
Upon clicking on "Bulk Mail" for my yahoo account in my Thunderbird client, 5 copies of
the activation email downloaded which had been classified as junk!

Same old ETP but with a new avatar. :thumbup2: :lol:
Regards ETP
Current go-to Pup since Feb 2019 - BionicPup64 8.0
Video - https://photos.app.goo.gl/HYLupyMGcQFP81z69

On test - Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix 20.10 (Groovy Gorilla)
Video - https://photos.app.goo.gl/xGbQYtioXt6mzoi48
nic007

Post by nic007 »

Gmail registration didn't work for me. Confirmation email did not arrive in my inbox nor spam folder.
Makoto

Post by Makoto »

nic007 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:27 am Gmail registration didn't work for me. Confirmation email did not arrive in my inbox nor spam folder.
If you haven't already done so, try logging in through gmail's web interface or through a phone app, and see if the mail is in the server-side spam folder. In my case, gmail quarantined the mail to the server-side spam folder before my email program even knew it existed, so it wouldn't show up in the 'regular' spam folder.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I had to manually activate nic007 and I did not attempt to send a mail again through the "Force Re-activation" switch.
It would be good to know if the server side of Gmail's junk filters removed the email. I am seeing a rash of newly registered users landing in the "inactive users" list which an admin can manually activate or wait and see if the user just hadn't clicked on the activation link in the email.

[mention]nic007[/mention], I have sent you another email from the board directly to help debug.
nic007

Post by nic007 »

Alright a few strange things happened. The good news is that I eventually seem to have received ALL confirmation emails, even the first one. I have two email accounts linked so that emails received in the one account is automatically forwarded to the preferred account. The email address used for this site is my "other" account which emails are forwarded to the "preferred" account. I know now that only emails received in the inbox are forwarded to my preferred account but those in the spam folder not. These activation emails are all sitting in the spam folder of the "other" account. The strange thing - I have previously logged into the "other" account but there were no signs of the emails from the forum. About a week ago I reset my password of the "other" account and amazingly when I logged in now all the forum emails are there in the spam folder. So the bottomline - Activation emails are received in the spam folder. Be careful though if you link gmail accounts as emails in spam folders are not forwarded so could be missed.
Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

How should I register to a thread [such as this], so as to be notified of new posts?
sheldonisaac

Post by sheldonisaac »

Sylvander wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:22 pm How should I register to a thread [such as this], so as to be notified of new posts?
I just found the dropdown next to the wrench (spanner) icon.
Latitude E6410: BusterPup 8.0 etc
Vostro 430: BionicPup64 8.0
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@sheldonisaac Wow! Good find, even while intensely working on learning all the nuances of this software I didn't know where this was until now. Excellent info Sir sheldonisaac
sheldonisaac

Post by sheldonisaac »

rockedge wrote: @sheldonisaac Wow! Good find, even while intensely working on learning all the nuances of this software I didn't know where this was until now. Excellent info Sir sheldonisaac
Blush. Thanks, rockedge. Despite my years, I'm still a mere user. You especially, and the others, deserve our gratitude for this forum. Best wishes. And of course I belatedly send condolences re the passing of John Murga.

Sheldon
Latitude E6410: BusterPup 8.0 etc
Vostro 430: BionicPup64 8.0

Return to “Beginners Help”