How to install Python 3.10?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

OscarTalks

Re: How to install Python 3.10?

Post by OscarTalks »

davidjackson wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:49 am

I use 3.10 on Windows 10.
While ppm has Python-3.6 (which I installed), It doesn't have pip3.
Why not compile from the source? First PL doesn't come with GCC installed. Second, it seems to build a program from the source defeats the purpose of using PL in the first place. I might as well do a full install of Ubuntu.

The name which Ubuntu gives for the pip3 package is python3-pip so if you use the Package Manager to search for that name and then install it you should have pip3 available to you. As I said though, I have yet to be convinced that pip3 will give you the upgraded version of python3 that you desire.

With Puppy, if you want to compile from source you simply have to load the devx .sfs package which contains gcc and other needed programs for development. You can unload it again once the job is done. Compiling and installing a program from source is an alternative to installing a program via Package Manager, so I disagree with your assessment that it would be the same as installing a full version of Ubuntu. It is just an alternative way of adding python3 to Puppy, but with the flexibility to have a later version than the one from older Ubuntu repos.

Having said that, unless you are trying to run something which rejects python-3.6 and demands python-3.10 or newer, I would suggest that there is no urgent need to upgrade from 3.6 to 3.10 and that the version which you use in Windows 10 is not really relevant to the version you are using in BionicPup64

davidjackson

Re: How to install Python 3.10?

Post by davidjackson »

Oscar,
Thanks for you time and advice.
I switched to fossapup64-9.5, which has Python-3.9 and pip3.

Thanks again,
David Jackson

Return to “Beginners Help”