Brave 'portable' - 64-bit only - now includes manual updater from Fred...

Moderator: Forum moderators

geo_c

Re: Brave 'portable' - 64-bit only - now @ v1.39.122...

Post by geo_c »

fredx181 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:33 pm

Using e.g. cp -a spot /pathto/destination should preserve ownership of files and folders, using rsync will too with right options.

Just to be clear, is the cp -a spot command only for spot owned directories? If I'm copying an entire pupsave directory it will have /root ownership, and /spot ownership, so it will be a mix, and therefore the cp -a spot command may not apply in that case, correct? TBH I don't fully understand some of the switch descriptions in the cp command --help file. I see the -a option is for archiving all, but I don't know the extent of the permissions preservation in the archive.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

The cp -a spot is just example, if you do e.g cp -a /pupsave /destination/ , everything will be preserved (ownership, permissions) in /destination same as in /pupsave .

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Thanks @fredx181, that's very helpful.

And back to Brave, so I don't hi-jack the thread, since the Download permission is now working, I went ahead and installed my standard set of addons, and it's a very nice browser. I like the way it has Tor built in, though I really never use it, still a great option.

One thing I wish Chrome clones would include is a 'never save history' option like LibreWolf, or at least a clear history on exit. That always has to be done manually.

Other than that the combination of LibreWolf, Ungoogled Chromium, and Brave kind of covers the browser bases for me. I used to like Palemoon, and I hope that the work continues there, but the last releases kind of killed it for me for the time being.

geo_c

xenial

Post by xenial »

@geo-c
Hi,
Brave does clear all data upon exit.In the advanced tab of the clear history window.
Settings--more-tools-clear history.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

xenial wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:43 pm

@geo-c
Hi,
Brave does clear all data upon exit.In the advanced tab of the clear history window.
Settings--more-tools-clear history.

This is true, but unless I'm doing it wrong, all of the categories have to be re-checked every time the browser is booted up. Which is kind of the same as having to use the clear history window every time.

geo_c

mikewalsh

Re: Brave 'portable' - 64-bit only - now @ v1.40.107

Post by mikewalsh »

Now then, gang...

It's update time again. Here's the Puppy-portable version of v1.40.107, released 8 days ago. There's two newer stable releases in the GitHub listings, released respectively 5 days and 3 days ago, but I can't give you these.....for the simple reason they're only available in Windows.exe files and Android .apks.

I mentioned this at the start of the thread; not all releases seem to be built in all platform's packages. Take it up with the Brave devs, not me!

---------------------------------------------------

As I mentioned in the Ungoogled_Chromium thread a little bit earlier, with the move by most dev teams to Chromium v103, it's the end of the road for the clones under Tahrpup64. Everything is just too old, and even the main shared library that contains the bulk of the code is now returning a "symbol lookup error", of a type I've not seen before.

The realistic base-line for natively running any of the clones has now got to be Xenialpup64, at an absolute minimum.....and in another couple of major releases, even this will like as not be too old. Google are starting to keep the code-base bang-up-to-date and compiled on the very newest systems with a vengeance now.

(The alternative is to run them in a newer Puppy 'chroot'.....quite feasible, given Pup's relatively small size and the fact that many of us now have more RAM & storage to play with than ever before. No need to slim the chrooted Puppy down - just run it as-is - the whole process is pretty simple, thanks to watchdog's pioneering use of chroots in Puppy. I use them extensively.)

-----------------------------------------------------

The download link will be found in post #1. As usual:-

• Download

• Unzip

• Move the portable directory anywhere you like.....though preferably, outside the 'save'

• Click to enter

• Use the 'LAUNCH' script directly to keep it completely portable. Or, scripts will add or remove a Menu entry from the portable's location, in the interests of greater system integration and ease-of-use...

Posting from it now. Enjoy, y'all!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikewalsh

Re: Brave 'portable' - 64-bit only - now @ v1.41.100...

Post by mikewalsh »

.....and another update to Brave-portable. We're now at v1.41.100 - based around Chromium v103.0.5060.134.

Just more of the same; fast-opening, stable, reliable, with the nifty features you've come to expect.

Links as usual in post #1, along with usage instructions as always.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Re: Brave 'portable' - 64-bit only - now @ v1.43.81

Post by mikewalsh »

Upgrade time again, boys & girls.

We're now at v1.43.81.....based around Chromium v104.0.5112.102.

Still as good as ever. Link as in post #1.

Enjoy...

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Re: Brave 'portable' - 64-bit only - now @ v1.44.108...

Post by mikewalsh »

Morning, gang.

It's upgrade time again, so here's the Puppy-portable version of v1.44.108.

Now based around Chromium 106. Nothing startling to report.....basically more of the same Brave 'goodness'. I still maintain this browser seems to start noticeably quicker than most of the other clones.

------------------------------------------------

Download link as in post #1. Same as always:-

• D/l

• Unzip

• Place anywhere you like.....outside the 'save' is better.

• Click to enter

• Click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up

Scripts allow adding a Menu entry if one is needed. Otherwise, just run from the 'LAUNCH' script every time.

Have fun.

Mike. ;)

xenial

Post by xenial »

Hello mike.
I downloaded from post one and updated brave but it is reporting as v1.43.81..not v1.44.108.
Just thought i would mention it mate.

thanks for your work.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

xenial wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:26 pm

Hello mike.
I downloaded from post one and updated brave but it is reporting as v1.43.81..not v1.44.108.
Just thought i would mention it mate.

thanks for your work.

@xenial :-

Hm. Odd. I thought I had uploaded the new version. Never mind; I've re-uploaded it again, so.....it should be the right one this time.

See how you get on with it. Let me know what happens. My MEGA a/c is misbehaving ATM; I've got a Rubbish bin full of discards that won't clear, for some reason.... :o

Mike. ;)

xenial

Post by xenial »

@mike walsh.

Working perfectly mike.
Thank you kind sir.

Gnimmelf

Post by Gnimmelf »

Brave is an absolute blast! Thank you :thumbup:

here is a little test im doing over time when im trying new browser versions

https://start.me/p/ekaokP/test

im on imppup 64 9.6.1 0n a lenovo ideapad gaming 3

kindly gnimmelf

gilles

Post by gilles »

Hello,
I installed Brave in Fossa 64.
Everything works fine except that I cannot open my e mail on https://www.gmx.fr/. I go to "connexion" but it doesn't open the window where I have to write my ID and password.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Just a guess. But check the settings, both Brave's defaults and that of any add-on. The guess is that (perhaps for reasons of security) the front-page, https://www.gmx.fr/ passes off login to another page. Maybe requiring setting a 3rd party cookie?

FWIW, Iron gets further, showing a clickable 'Accept' button; but stays on that GUI with a spinner which never ends.
Ungoolged-Chromium and firefox --without any addons-- gets you to content.

Along with the actual content Ungoogled-Chromium displays advertisements with photos of attractive women and text such as 'Meet on Line'. Guessing again, the filter of other web-browsers blocking those ads may be practicing 'over-kill'.

Marv

Post by Marv »

Extracted the latest to my 'data' partition. Works OOTB (nice to have cache size limits in the launch script) in pretty standard frugal installs of the current S15Pup64 and VoidPup64, both running with LXDE/PCManFM ydrvs, and in a minimized non-savefile non-adrv, non-bdrv, non-fdrv, ydrv (7.9 MiB) driven FP64_CE_radky6 install. Imported my bookmarks from ungoogled/slimjet smoothly, and cleaning up the Brave twinkle and setting up a 'newtab' page, fonts/backgrounds, and the Qwant and MetaGer search engines wasn't bad. Runs well but all the underlying Brave stuff makes me a bit nervous, maybe needlessly so. Ungoogled-chromium continues to serve well and I've made my peace with the barebones nature of it. All of the SlimJet64s since 35.0.3.0 fail on youtube and one of our banks balks at the chromium version in Slimjet64 v35.0.3.0, hence the dalliance with un-googled and Brave.

Thanks again,

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

mikewalsh

Re: Brave 'portable' - 64-bit only - now @ v1.46.153...

Post by mikewalsh »

Morning, gang.

Okay. Here's the most recent 'stable' release of Brave-portable for Puppy; v1.46.153 - based around Chromium 108.0.5359.128.

Just as fast and snappy as ever; if anything, it seems a touch faster still. I'm not investigating, and I'm certainly not complaining! And just as reliable...

------------------------------------------------------

You can find the new release at the link in post #1, as always. Usual caveats apply:-

• Download

• Unzip

• Place anywhere you like, though outside the 'save' is best

• Click to enter

Scripts permit the addition/removal of a Menu entry, should one be required.

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

Marv

Post by Marv »

Yep, just as advertised :!: Posting from it now in my minimized FP64_CE_radky6 install.

Thanks again,

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

Trying to make this work in a pristine FP64 9.6

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:00 am

You can find the new release at the link in post #1, as always. Usual caveats apply:-

• Download

Done.

• Unzip

Done.

Left it in /root/Downloads. Should be good enough for a test.

• Click to enter

Done.

Done. Does nothing. When lauched from command line fires up an eror message:

Code: Select all

# /root/Downloads/Brave-portable64/LAUNCH
ash: exec: line 7: /root/Downloads/Brave-portable64/brave/brave: Permission denied

Checked the brave binary. It's executable.
Checked the script run-as-spot and found the offending command in line 82: exec '"$CMD"'
Piped $CMD to Geany to see what it looks like:

/root/Downloads/Brave-portable64/brave/brave --user-data-dir=/root/Downloads/Brave-portable64/PROFILE/spot/Brave-Browser --disk-cache-size=5000000 --media-cache-size=5000000 --allow-outdated-plugins

Looks OK to me, so ran the command from command line.
No dice. Next error message:

[25043:25043:0109/151632.911911:ERROR:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(100)] Running as root without --no-sandbox is not supported. See https://crbug.com/638180.

Ahhh...,needs --no-sandbox. I'm almost there. Added --no-sandbox argument to the command, and Bingo!. Finally a browser window,
but with a bizarre warning. "Stability and security will suffer"
Mike, you either need more caveats or more code to make this process easier for innocent users like me :cry:

screen_230109_131322.png
screen_230109_131322.png (27.95 KiB) Viewed 4115 times
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

"Stability and security will suffer"
Same message if you run Chromium with no-sandbox. Haven't seen any stability issues though...

Marv

Post by Marv »

Odd, Brave is running perfectly for me. I'm running absolutely OOTB (without --no sandbox) in a non-savefile install of FP64_CE_radky6. My uncompressed Brave directory is located in my EXT2 data partition. My only terminal output is:

# ./LAUNCH
[7131:7266:0109/101352.894220:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(623)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[7131:7266:0109/101352.894444:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(623)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.GetDisplayDevice: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[7131:7266:0109/101352.894656:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(623)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.EnumerateDevices: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
# 

The radky 6 install is minimal, without the stock ydrv Nee adrv or bdrv, and with my personal 7.9 MB ydrv with 5 small programs and my configure, panel, and theme setup in it. Nothing else. Maybe maybe..... I am running the 6.1.1 kernel with that install though why that would make a difference eludes me.

# uname -a
Linux puppypc21416 6.1.1-lxpup64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Dec 22 07:44:49 GMT 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
#

I didn't check the terminal output in the current S15Pup64 or VoidPup64, also with 6.1.1 kernels, but it opened and ran cleanly there as well. I actually have a bit of use-time on it in all three and it's all good here.

Edit: to clarify that it's running OK OOTB for me in all 3 of my current pups, all with 6.1.1 kernel.

Last edited by Marv on Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Marv :-

You may not be alone. I've been running Fossapup's original k5.4.53 kernel in my daily driver, jrb's 'lite' spin on BK's old Quirky 64 April 7.0.1. It's been absolutely rock-solid & stable for a long while.

Along with an upgrade from glibc-2.20 to glibc-2.27, for a couple of weeks I was trying out peebee's k6.1.0 kernel.....but it was giving me all sorts of issues, including a lot of auto-start stuff simply not behaving itself or even starting-up at all, so I've reverted back to k5.4.53. Rock-steady again. I suspect Torvalds' team haven't got all the bugs out of the 6-series yet.

It's either that, or it's summat to do with having both aufs AND overlaysfs compiled in. Whatever the reason, it was giving me too much hassle, so it's gone. I've kept the glibc upgrade in place, but that kernel is history.....at least, for ME.

Mike. :o :?

Marv

Post by Marv »

@mikewalsh,
Agreed on kernels, I always have one pup as fallback when I'm flogging meself with the latest and greatest :) The things that seem to fluctuate most for me is how the newer kernels handle suspend and wakeup and timing things involving sync and unmounting. I cut my teeth entering code with toggle switches so I kind of like watching code and silicon interact, even when I pull some of my few remaining hairs.

In this case, the puzzle is why I'm getting away running Brave Portable without --no sandbox and some others seemingly aren't. I'll throw Brave at my fallback pup later...

Cheers,

Update: Took a bit of extra library fiddling beyond the usual slackware libs, mostly a libpng12 addition and a libz fiddle; but the latest Brave opened and ran in LxPupSc64 22.02 +2 with a 6.08 kernel. Much dirtier terminal than in the newer pups, but works. Posting from it now. The only change in the LAUNCH script was to make line 15 test for LxPupSc64 instead of Quirky April64.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@MochiMoppel :-

Hm. This is curious.

I've tried both 'current' builds of Fossapup64 9.6; the 'standard', "Woofed" one, AND Radky's modified version. You're absolutely right about the 'standard' one; Brave WON'T fire-up, and I cannot figure out why. This portable is set-up to run-as-spot, which is why I was all the more confused when you said you needed to add the "--no-sandbox" option; that's usually needed when running as root. Certainly not when running as user spot.

In the modified Radky build, however, it fires-up and behaves itself, as good as gold.

Very odd.

Mike. :?

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

@mikewalsh
Very odd indeed. But it's getting even odder.

I'm currently in FP64_9.6 and I'm happily posting now from a newly discovered 64bit Opera 12.16 . One reason why I still hang on to Slacko5.6 is the phantastic Opera Presto browser- not for everyone and definitely not for every site. I didn't know that they made a 64bit shortly before they dumped their business, their company and all my posts in the Opera forum :( But surprisingly they kept their archive online (https://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/1216/). A mere 14MB download and I can use my 32bit profile again. Good stuff...but I disgress.

I had saved your Brave 'portable' to my NTFS HDD, not convinced that I would ever use it again. Yes, it works perfectly on a Radky version, but this version uses a 6.0.12 kernel, probably the cause for its frequent failure to wake up from suspend.

So to check for the Brave problems with FP64_9.6 I expanded the package directly on the HDD and ran LAUNCH from there ....and it works :o
Lots of initial error messages...

[9122:9122:0111/220612.818854:ERROR:angle_platform_impl.cc(43)] Display.cpp:1004 (initialize): ANGLE Display::initialize error 12289: GLX is not present.
ERR: Display.cpp:1004 (initialize): ANGLE Display::initialize error 12289: GLX is not present.
[9122:9122:0111/220612.945310:ERROR:gl_display.cc(508)] EGL Driver message (Critical) eglInitialize: GLX is not present.
[9122:9122:0111/220612.945528:ERROR:gl_display.cc(920)] eglInitialize OpenGL failed with error EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED, trying next display type
[9122:9122:0111/220612.976807:ERROR:angle_platform_impl.cc(43)] Display.cpp:1004 (initialize): ANGLE Display::initialize error 12289: GLX is not present.
ERR: Display.cpp:1004 (initialize): ANGLE Display::initialize error 12289: GLX is not present.
[9122:9122:0111/220612.977336:ERROR:gl_display.cc(508)] EGL Driver message (Critical) eglInitialize: GLX is not present.
[9122:9122:0111/220612.977929:ERROR:gl_display.cc(920)] eglInitialize OpenGLES failed with error EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED
[9122:9122:0111/220612.978125:ERROR:gl_ozone_egl.cc(23)] GLDisplayEGL::Initialize failed.
[9122:9122:0111/220613.210500:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(186)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[9169:9169:0111/220617.955420:ERROR:angle_platform_impl.cc(43)] Display.cpp:1004 (initialize): ANGLE Display::initialize error 12289: GLX is not present.
[9169:9169:0111/220617.955931:ERROR:gl_display.cc(508)] EGL Driver message (Critical) eglInitialize: GLX is not present.
[9169:9169:0111/220617.956077:ERROR:gl_display.cc(920)] eglInitialize OpenGL failed with error EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED, trying next display type
[9169:9169:0111/220617.956480:ERROR:angle_platform_impl.cc(43)] Display.cpp:1004 (initialize): ANGLE Display::initialize error 12289: GLX is not present.
[9169:9169:0111/220617.956682:ERROR:gl_display.cc(508)] EGL Driver message (Critical) eglInitialize: GLX is not present.
[9169:9169:0111/220617.956814:ERROR:gl_display.cc(920)] eglInitialize OpenGLES failed with error EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED
[9169:9169:0111/220617.956995:ERROR:gl_ozone_egl.cc(23)] GLDisplayEGL::Initialize failed.
[9169:9169:0111/220617.964794:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(186)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[9079:9192:0111/220618.255692:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(623)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[9079:9192:0111/220618.256748:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(623)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.GetDisplayDevice: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[9079:9192:0111/220618.257287:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(623)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.EnumerateDevices: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[9193:9193:0111/220619.065139:ERROR:angle_platform_impl.cc(43)] Display.cpp:1004 (initialize): ANGLE Display::initialize error 12289: GLX is not present.
[9193:9193:0111/220619.065630:ERROR:gl_display.cc(508)] EGL Driver message (Critical) eglInitialize: GLX is not present.
[9193:9193:0111/220619.065801:ERROR:gl_display.cc(920)] eglInitialize OpenGL failed with error EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED, trying next display type
[9193:9193:0111/220619.066252:ERROR:angle_platform_impl.cc(43)] Display.cpp:1004 (initialize): ANGLE Display::initialize error 12289: GLX is not present.
[9193:9193:0111/220619.066450:ERROR:gl_display.cc(508)] EGL Driver message (Critical) eglInitialize: GLX is not present.
[9193:9193:0111/220619.066620:ERROR:gl_display.cc(920)] eglInitialize OpenGLES failed with error EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED
[9193:9193:0111/220619.066778:ERROR:gl_ozone_egl.cc(23)] GLDisplayEGL::Initialize failed.
[9193:9193:0111/220619.073999:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(186)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[9216:9216:0111/220622.139243:ERROR:gpu_memory_buffer_support_x11.cc(44)] dri3 extension not supported.
[9079:9079:0111/220811.333188:ERROR:input_method_context_impl_gtk.cc(122)] Cannot translate a Keyevent to a GdkEvent.
[9079:9079:0111/220811.524847:ERROR:input_method_context_impl_gtk.cc(122)] Cannot translate a Keyevent to a GdkEvent.
[9079:9079:0111/220815.861088:ERROR:input_method_context_impl_gtk.cc(122)] Cannot translate a Keyevent to a GdkEvent.
[9079:9079:0111/220815.980930:ERROR:input_method_context_impl_gtk.cc(122)] Cannot translate a Keyevent to a GdkEvent.
[9079:9079:0111/220816.356953:ERROR:input_method_context_impl_gtk.cc(122)] Cannot translate a Keyevent to a GdkEvent.
[9079:9079:0111/220816.404882:ERROR:input_method_context_impl_gtk.cc(122)] Cannot translate a Keyevent to a GdkEvent.
[9079:9079:0111/220816.476943:ERROR:input_method_context_impl_gtk.cc(122)] Cannot translate a Keyevent to a GdkEvent.
[9079:9079:0111/220816.556804:ERROR:input_method_context_impl_gtk.cc(122)] Cannot translate a Keyevent to a GdkEvent.
[9079:9079:0111/220816.701031:ERROR:input_method_context_impl_gtk.cc(122)] Cannot translate a Keyevent to a GdkEvent.
[9079:9079:0111/220816.812815:ERROR:input_method_context_impl_gtk.cc(122)] Cannot translate a Keyevent to a GdkEvent.
[9079:9079:0111/220817.388946:ERROR:input_method_context_impl_gtk.cc(122)] Cannot translate a Keyevent to a GdkEvent.
[9079:9079:0111/220817.475340:ERROR:input_method_context_impl_gtk.cc(122)] Cannot translate a Keyevent to a GdkEvent.
[9079:9108:0111/220904.456029:ERROR:print_backend_cups.cc(217)] CUPS: Error getting default printer: Bad file descriptor
[9079:9079:0111/220904.459167:ERROR:device_event_log_impl.cc(215)] [22:09:04.456] Printer: local_printer_handler_default.cc:224 Failure getting default printer name, result: kFailed
Warning: disabling flag --expose_wasm due to conflicting flags

, but the browser runs, and it runs as spot (access to /root denied), no need for the "--no-sandbox" option. You can figure that out :lol:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@MochiMoppel :-

Error messages, unfortunately, are endemic to the main product of the Chromium Project. You can have a Chromium-based browser, running in an ideal environment for the version used as 'base' PLUS whatever 'alterations' have been made by whatever project/organisation is releasing the 'clone' in question, and the terminal will STILL be full of complaints..!

This can be traced all the way back to the initial decision, in Autumn 2007, by the team that were handling all the reports from us 'beta testers' (I was part of the original beta-testing program for Chrome), that an on-going, live, second by second debug report, running concurrently with the browser itself, would be an excellent trouble-shooting idea for the devs....

They've retained it to this day. And it constantly bothers those who don't know any of the history behind the browser's development, given that the assumption made by many is that if something is running correctly, why SHOULD there be messages in the terminal..?

My response is always the same whenever this comes up. Blame Google, if you feel you must blame someone..! :D I've been so used to all this for the last 15 years or so, it doesn't even "register" any longer, but just goes straight over the top of my head these days.....

(*shrug*)

(Thanks for the info about that 64-bit Opera 12.16. I might have a play around with it again; I always had a job getting my head around the way that it functioned, 'cos it wasn't quite LIKE any other browser I'd come across.)

Mike. :)

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

@mikewalsh
1) I wasn't complaining about the error messages. I don't care as long as they don't affect the functionality of the program, which in this case they don't.

2) What happened in my (and probably your) failed attempt to run Brave is now clear to me. In a nutshell: the script run-as-spot, in line 75, tried to run the command "/root/Downloads/Brave-portable64/brave/brave" as spot, and this naturally fails as it should. This means that your 'portable' stuff can be copied to anywhere inside or outside of the main filesystem, but not to /root or any of its subdirectories. This you should make clear in your installation instructions.

3) Small proposal: In LAUNCH the commands
mkdir "$HERE/PROFILE" 2> /dev/null
mkdir "$HERE/PROFILE/spot" 2> /dev/null
mkdir "$HERE/PROFILE/spot/Brave-Browser" 2> /dev/null

can be replaced by a single command when you use the -p option ("make parent directories as needed"):
mkdir -p "$HERE/PROFILE/spot/Brave-Browser"
I also would not use the "2> /dev/null" redirection here. If the command fails the rest of the script will fail too, so it's essential that any error message is displayed and not swept under the /dev/null rug.

4) As for Opera at least one thing should be familiar to you: It is 'portable' OOTB. Can be launched from anywhere and the profile by default is created in the launch directory.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

MochiMoppel wrote:

In a nutshell: the script run-as-spot, in line 75, tried to run the command "/root/Downloads/Brave-portable64/brave/brave" as spot, and this naturally fails as it should. This means that your 'portable' stuff can be copied to anywhere inside or outside of the main filesystem, but not to /root or any of its subdirectories. This you should make clear in your installation instructions.

It does work for me (on FossaPup) when I click 'Launch' from inside /root/Downloads (extracted with Uextract).

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (25.89 KiB) Viewed 2266 times

Btw, what would be the difference running it from inside /root/ or outside ?

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

For me this brave works perfectly, but...

... it only works if I unzip this file into the OPT folder.

I installed SLIMJET, FIREFOX, LIBREOFFICE, THE GIMP... outside OPT and there is no problem when I use the LAUNCH file to start the program, but with BRAVE I can't do this, it only works when I put it into the OPT folder (and I want to put it in the installation folder of my vanilladpup, in order to have a small save file and not to use as many space into it).

How can I solve it???

Is install it at the OPT folder the only solution.

Thanks in advance.

@mikewalsh

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:00 am

Morning, gang.

Okay. Here's the most recent 'stable' release of Brave-portable for Puppy; v1.46.153 - based around Chromium 108.0.5359.128.

Just as fast and snappy as ever; if anything, it seems a touch faster still. I'm not investigating, and I'm certainly not complaining! And just as reliable...

------------------------------------------------------

• Download

• Unzip

• Click to enter

Scripts permit the addition/removal of a Menu entry, should one be required.

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

Marv

Post by Marv »

@pp4mnklinux ,
How is the partition that holds the vanillapup installation directory formatted. I have a perfectly running Brave portable in an EXT2 formatted partition. Copied it to my FAT32 boot partition and set the permissions of the spot directory in PROFILE to spot:spot. Dialog box correctly asked if I wanted the change to be recursive, answered yes. Permissions were not changed within spot. Brave couldn't create a singleton lock and hence wouldn't start. It had never occurred to me to run a portable from a FAT32 so I had never tried this before and won't persue it but might it be a possibility??

Return to “Browsers and Internet”