Trouble installing friendly-fossa64-rc3 (solved)

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

bigpup

Re: Trouble installing friendly-fossa64-rc3 (solved)

Post by bigpup »

General info that usually applies.
However, computer manufactures have option to make the UEFI setup offer whatever they want it to.

UEFI has had many changes and updates over the years.

Earlier versions of UEFI only had disable secure boot option in the UEFI setup.

A few years ago they added the option legacy mode.

Newer UEFI setup now has it called CSM mode.

Depending on the UEFI version.
All of these settings will make it work with mbr.

The UEFI setups that have legacy mode or CSM mode will also have disable secure boot.
But only disabling secure boot stops it looking for a security key.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

wizard

Post by wizard »

@bigpup

Have a Dell e6420 laptop, 2012 vintage that has UEFI, Legacy, but no Secure Boot. There were lots of different configurations going on back then. :mrgreen:

Thanks
wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I've seen this problem with this distro before. Cant remember which PC is occurred nor can remember which direct boot ISO utility I was using. The reason I did not report is probably sleep deprivation :lol: that sometimes (too often) as I stay up late testing various scenarios.

Will try to find which of the USB used and try to guess which PC it surfaced that problem using the latest version, 'rc3'.

P.S. This behavior has been seen with a couple other forum PUPs, as well, which are USB booted from their ISO file. Most every case is specific to the PC firmware and the PUP "release/version" and often is fixed by falling back to an earlier version or waiting for the updated version.

One PUP developer, @mistfire has his boot INIT subsystem structured to capture logging that was instrumental in fixing one of his past distros. I noticed recently that @peebee's most recent distro provides the same INIT logic to log this kind of problem for developer resolution.

Just a note if anyone is interested.

loldigox

Post by loldigox »

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd provide an update to this issue. I've been trying FossaPup on a different computer, and I think the behavior regarding this issue might help someone diagnose what's going on. The new system is an Asus Zenbook UX360C Notebook, with 4 GB RAM, and an internal SSD. I used Lick to do a Frugal dual-boot install on my Windows partition. First I installed the full fossapup64-9.5 Puppy. I had trouble with Firefox on that, though. It was a very old version of FF, that tried to do some sort of automatic update, and then crashed, every time I used it after the initial install. So I came back to this Friendly Fossa and installed it, again using Lick to do a Frugal dual-boot install on my Windows partition (sda3). This has an up-to-date FireFox, which seems to be stable (so far, at least).

With the Friendly Fossa rc3 install, I got the same errors as I did on the other laptop, the HP Pavilion X2. (See the first post in this thread.) Renaming fossapup64initmodules.txt seems to work around the problem, and the trackpad works fine. (I promptly turn it off in Setup, though, because I can't type with the thing on. I use a wireless mouse.)

What was interesting, though, is with the full fossapup64 9.5 install, the list of modules in fossapup64initmodules.txt is identical, however, it only complains about one of them, intel_ishtp_hid. The error is different, too:

Code: Select all

Can't load module intel_ishtp_hid (kernel/drivers/hid/intel-ish-hid/intel-ishtp-hid.ko): No such device

If I removed the intel_ishtp_hid entry from the list in fossapup64initmodules.txt, the laptop boots FossaPup64 9.5 with no complaints.

Perhaps this info will help someone identify what's going on.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@loldigox

Hi loldi, thanks for giving the update, hopefully one of our experts can figure it out. Regarding Firefox in Friendly Fossa64, updates are blocked by default (no nags either). Check the help files for how to toggle that off so you can update if you wish.

Thanks
wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

loldigox

Post by loldigox »

I forgot to include the list of modules in fossapup64initmodules.txt, which again was the same list for either the full fossapup64 9.5 or friendly fossa rc3. That list is:

Code: Select all

hid_sensor_custom,hid_sensor_hub,intel_ishtp_hid,hid_multitouch,intel_ish_ipc,intel_ishtp,i2c_hid
mikewalsh

Re: Trouble installing friendly-fossa64-rc3

Post by mikewalsh »

bigpup wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:37 am

One suggestion about deleting Windows 10 from the internal drive and doing a new setup on it.
Windows 10 uses some hidden stuff.
Best if you setup the drive by doing this:
1. Make a new partition table (msdos or gpt)
( that completely deletes everything from the drive)
2. Make partitions.
3. Format partitions.

Heh. Oh, yes. Windows has an annoying habit of sticking .ini files everywhere it possibly can; every drive, every partition, every main 'system' folder/directory.

All to do with 'indexing' your system.....for its future use. (Plus a load of other odds'n'ends, all of which conform to Windows' idea of how a system should be setup for the ton of 'background services' it insists on running behind the scenes...)

Mike. :roll:

Return to “Beginners Help”