No sound in Firefox (Fossapup64)

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

bigpup

Re: No sound in Firefox (Fossapup64)

Post by bigpup »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:07 am

@cobaka :-

You'll not find Quickpet in S15Pup64, Les. Quickpet was a utility exclusive to Phil B's line of 'buntu-based Pups; Tahr, Xenial, Bionic & Fossa. And it can't be a general, kennel-wide utility in any case, since it has to be re-written for the repos of the specific Pup it's included with.

Phil never touched Slackware, and he dropped off the radar quite some time ago.....

I think bigpup's usual instructions kind of assume that more people than not will be using one of the 'buntu-based Puppies (or derivatives thereof). And certainly, in your own case, you've always stuck with the 'buntu Pups up till now. You've had an abrupt change of heart, switching to Slackware..... :D

You'll also find Slacko Puppies tend to need more "cossetting" than usual, since they seem to come with less stuff installed, OOTB. That's been MY prior experience, anyway.

Mike. ;)

THE SUBJECT TITLE OF THE TOPIC IS FIREFOX NO SOUND FOSSAPUP64!

My Quickpet info was specific to the subject of the topic.

Using Fossapup64.

governor started the topic and my information was for them. :thumbup:

Again talking about two completely different computers and operating systems in one topic is a big mess of information. :thumbdown: :roll:

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

cobaka

Post by cobaka »

@mikewalsh

OK. On my 'spare' PC I just installed F96-CE. Has FireFox supplied. Checked sound.
Available from the headphone socket. Also from the (very tinny) speaker.
Source of sound is ABC 'internet' radio and youtube.

I observed the lack of sound with FossaPup that displayed the 'pink' moon (and imitation Tasmanian devil).
But (as I understand) that's an outdated version so - the fact that I got no sound with it is irrelevant.

At my end, with F96-CE I have sound. Can't help any further.
God loves me, hates you. That's life. Woof!

собака

Last edited by cobaka on Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

собака --> это Русский --> a dog
"c" -- say "s" - as in "see" or "scent" or "sob".

bob93

Post by bob93 »

bigpup wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:51 pm

How I get sound from Firefox installed in Fossapup64 9.5

Fossapup64 already has apulse installed and that is all that is needed to make Firefox think it is using pulse audio.

DO NOT INSTALL FIRFOX FROM PUPPY PACKAGE MANAGER (PPM)
The Firefox packages are too much built specifically for Ubuntu.

Use Quickpet program (icon on desktop)

Quickpet ->Browsers ->Firefox

This will download and install Firefox version 77 from a pet package made specifically for Fossapup64...

It works! I uninstalled the ppm Firefox I had, downloaded this one with Quickpet and now I have sound on Firefox, finally

Fossapup64 9.5

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Governor started this topic.

Where are they?

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@bigpup :-

Well, it WAS 9 months ago. And some people have no interest in learning to sort their own problems out, and see nothing wrong in asking the same old things over & over, again & again....

(*shrug*)

Mike. :roll:

Governor

Post by Governor »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:58 pm

@bigpup :-

Well, it WAS 9 months ago. And some people have no interest in learning to sort their own problems out, and see nothing wrong in asking the same old things over & over, again & again....

(*shrug*)

Mike. :roll:

If things would work the way there were supposed to, or at least when fixed, stay fixed, I would not need to ask.
I happen to have a challenging life, and very little, if any, spare time. I squeeze in when I can, my attempts make the OS usable. There is no way I can remember everything that happens in this forum. But I have begun keeping a file with "Puppy instructions and fixes" so I will have it for later use.
It is obvious to me that the Puppy OS is not a finished product (perpetual BETA), but I am doing the best I can.

Thanks!

Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out alive.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:40 am

If things would work the way there were supposed to, or at least when fixed, stay fixed, I would not need to ask.
I happen to have a challenging life, and very little, if any, spare time. I squeeze in when I can, my attempts make the OS usable..... ..... I have begun keeping a file with "Puppy instructions and fixes" so I will have it for later use.
It is obvious to me that the Puppy OS is not a finished product (perpetual BETA), but I am doing the best I can.
Thanks!

I think the most sound reply to one of your issues was given by @bigpup here: viewtopic.php?p=98192#p98192

Puppies are certain kinds of operating systems that are fixed in time when they are created. Some upgrades are available along the way, but they are not rolling releases like some mainstream linuxes, windows, and macs.

There are always the mainstream linuxes, or this community's releases that are basically mainstream linux OS bases that utilize rolling updates, which are easier to update than windows or mac, in particular the Kennel Linux Void installs available on the forum.

Unfortunately none of these will work for you until your setup can dependably boot from a consistent drive/location.

The one question you have asked consistently since first using fossapup is "How can I save my settings?"

Almost all of your issues either stem from or are aggravated by this one fatal flaw.

Fossapup64_9.5 has worked flawlessly for me on at least 7 computers since it was first released, and my wife has used it for two years without any tweaks or fixes at all. She's completely computer illiterate. It's a very stable OS, not all a beta.

However, once you do get your hardware straight, there are more up to date puppies to use. Either F96, vanilladpup, etc... When that day comes, when your hardware is solid, I'd recommend starting with F96 because you are familiar with Fossapup.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

And use Mikewalsh's portable web-browsers. Web-browsers are the applications where updates are most often recommended; sometime necessary. All other applications if they work can be left alone. The most you'll miss is some 'Bells & Whistles' that the older versions didn't have and you got along without very well.

Mikewalsh's 'mozilla-base' portable web-browsers --palemoon, firefox, firefox-esr-- can be updated by simply using their built-in update mechanisms. Google-Chrome, Brave, and Iron also can be updated. To do that you have to temporarily SFS-load the Puppys devx.sfs, then run the update script you'll find in the portable's folder.

I always recommend making a backup of a portable before updating. We have no control over what the original publishers of web-browsers do, or try. Sometimes the update has bugs or just doesn't work as well as the prior version. Sometimes the update only works with a newer glibc version your Puppy doesn't have.

To make a backup of a portable just Right-Click its folder and from the pop-up menu select Duplicate. Give the duplicate a unique name: e.g. firefox64-O (for 'old) or brave64-bk (for 'backup). Then update the original. Use the updated original for a couple of days, testing those things which you always want. If everything is satisfactory you can delete the backup. If there's a problem you can delete the updated original, Right-Click the backup folder, select Rename and remove the '-O or 'bk'.

Governor

Post by Governor »

I have been working with DOS/Windows computers since 1994, and it is my experience and my opinion that Puppy OS is not a finished product (perpetual BETA), at least as far as the GUI is concerned. I understand you have a different experience, but that is what it is for me. I have tried to run many other flavors of Linux and all of those I tried so far, were worse then Puppy.

Just off the top of my head.

I have gparted my internal drives 3 or 4 times and ran all the hardware checks I could find. After all this time, I still don't know how I can save my settings.

The ROX window that pop up is too small and I always have to enlarge it. The little marker which is used to "grab" the side of a window is too small and has an active space that is too narrow, and it makes it difficilt to grab the edge (I think it should be 3 pixels wider). The icons on the top menu are placed in the wrong order, and I can find no way to fix it. The path at the top of the file menus are blackened out so I can't read them. The highlighting in the file manager is too dark and prevents me from reading what is highlighted.

The drive letters keep incrementing for no apparent reason. This also means when I use audacity, my recent files list is often automatically deleted when I start the program. Similar problem wirh Libreoffice, practically every time I start the program, it asks me if I want to recover previously used files. In most cases this is because the drive letter has changed and Libreoffice thinks it should try to recover it. I always ignore these recovery requests at this point, but it is an annoyance.

I can't find a way to input a path in ROX, so when I want to copy a file from one drive to another, I have to first use Pmount to find out which drive I need to go to, and then I must manually go through all the folders, and subfolders, and subfolders, and subfolders, until I find the source folder that contains the desired file. And then I must repeat the process all over again to find the target folder: I have to first use Pmount to find out which drive I need to go to, Manually go through all the folders, and subfolders, and subfolders, and subfolders until I find the target folder. And if it is a group copy, I don't know if the target files are overwritten or not.

Some settings don't stick, for example, keyboard and mouse settings are lost periodically. the mouse settings are almost non-existent. I see only acceleration and threshold, and any changes I make there do not stick at all, so it is useless.

I can't find any search function in the file manager that is more than barely usable.

I have never experienced any OS that is so mouse intensive. My right forearm is in constant spasm due to excesive mouse use. If I boot and the mouse does not work, I just have to keep booting until it does.

There are many more problems, but like I said this is just off the top of my head.

Thanks!

geo_c wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:42 pm
Governor wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:40 am

I happen to have a challenging life, and very little, if any, spare time. I squeeze in when I can, my attempts to make the OS usable..... ..... I have begun keeping a file with "Puppy instructions and fixes" so I will have it for later use.
Thanks!

I think the most sound reply to one of your issues was given by @bigpup here: viewtopic.php?p=98192#p98192

Puppies are certain kinds of operating systems that are fixed in time when they are created. Some upgrades are available along the way, but they are not rolling releases like some mainstream linuxes, windows, and macs.

There are always the mainstream linuxes, or this community's releases that are basically mainstream linux OS bases that utilize rolling updates, which are easier to update than windows or mac, in particular the Kennel Linux Void installs available on the forum.

Unfortunately none of these will work for you until your setup can dependably boot from a consistent drive/location.

The one question you have asked consistently since first using fossapup is "How can I save my settings?"

Almost all of your issues either stem from or are aggravated by this one fatal flaw.

Fossapup64_9.5 has worked flawlessly for me on at least 7 computers since it was first released, and my wife has used it for two years without any tweaks or fixes at all. She's completely computer illiterate. It's a very stable OS, not all a beta.

However, once you do get your hardware straight, there are more up to date puppies to use. Either F96, vanilladpup, etc... When that day comes, when your hardware is solid, I'd recommend starting with F96 because you are familiar with Fossapup.

Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out alive.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:07 pm

The drive letters keep incrementing for no apparent reason.

Hardware issue.

I can't find a way to input a path in ROX,...I have to first use Pmount to find out which drive I need to go to, Manually go through all the folders, and subfolders, and subfolders, and subfolders until I find the target folder? And if it is a group copy, I don't know if the target files are overwritten or not.

You've completely lost me. Very little of that makes any sense. Just open two rox windows, one to the source location and one to the target location and drag the files. Rox will display freshly written files and folders in Bold print.

If you want to type paths then open a terminal and type: cp -arv /source-path/myfiles /target-path/myfiles

Some settings don't stick...

You can't even reboot, so what do you expect? FIX YOUR HARDWARE and learn how to boot from the same place, from a single save folder.

I can't find any search function in the file manager that is more than barely usable.

After you fix your hardware, then I'll tell you how to search.

I have never experienced any OS that is so mouse intensive. My right forearm is in constant spasm due to excesive mouse use. If I boot and the mouse does not work, I just have to keep booting until it does.
[/b]

You've lost me again. Sorry.

Last edited by geo_c on Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Governor :-

I sit on my bed to use my rig (bedroom is NOT that big). I have my mouse acceleration set-up so that by moving the mouse - in my right hand, on the bed beside me! - in approx a 1" circle, I can make the cursor cover the whole of a 24" monitor..... I did a lot of experimentation to find a comfortable mouse, and an easy way to maximize movement for minimum effort. Like this, I can use the mouse all day long, and I'm still as fresh as a daisy when I'm done.

The highlighting in ROX will be related to the theme you're using. Try swapping themes; they're not all like that. It's either that, or you may have a mis-matched GTK 3.0 setup.

As for the "incrementing" drive letters, as with @geo_c , you've lost me too. But I'm afraid I have to agree with him; it sounds like you need to spend some time sorting out your hardware so that it's all behaving itself & working together as it was supposed to. You can't reliably run any kind of software if your hardware is "throwing a wobbly"....

(*shrug*)

Mike. :?

Return to “Beginners Help”