Where's my network gone???

Kennel Linux Void-based

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Where's my network gone???

Post by mikewalsh »

Hi, all.

I confess, I've not really been keeping up with KLV 'Airedale' recently. I think my last session was with one of the final 'betas'. Anyways; I've just upgraded to SR5 this evening.

I don't know if this has been reported by anybody else, but all of a sudden, I now have no network! Every couple of minutes, ConnMan? keeps flashing up a notification saying "The network has now been disconnected".

It's not seeing the wi-fi chip built-in to this HP Pavilion desktop rig. More surprisingly, it's also telling me that my Ethernet card no longer exists.....

What's going on, guys? I'm having to post this from elsewhere in the kennels, because I cannot get online with 'Airedale'. Sorry to say it, but a distro that won't go on-line is about as much use as a chocolate teapot, know what I mean? I can't believe this 6-series kernel isn't seeing 3 or 4 yr old hardware.....

Any ideas?

Mike. :?

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

geo_c

Re: Where's my network gone???

Post by geo_c »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:11 pm

Hi, all.

I confess, I've not really been keeping up with KLV 'Airedale' recently. I think my last session was with one of the final 'betas'. Anyways; I've just upgraded to SR5 this evening.

I don't know if this has been reported by anybody else, but all of a sudden, I now have no network! Every couple of minutes, ConnMan? keeps flashing up a notification saying "The network has now been disconnected".

It's not seeing the wi-fi chip built-in to this HP Pavilion desktop rig. More surprisingly, it's also telling me that my Ethernet card no longer exists.....

What's going on, guys? I'm having to post this from elsewhere in the kennels, because I cannot get online with 'Airedale'. Sorry to say it, but a distro that won't go on-line is about as much use as a chocolate teapot, know what I mean? I can't believe this 6-series kernel isn't seeing 3 or 4 yr old hardware.....

Any ideas?

Mike. :?

You know I think that sr5 has the latest linux kernel, and I'm not sure of which firmware/modules are being used, but I personally use a couple versions behind @rockedge's latest build as a daily driver after they prove to work with my hardware. The latest usually needs tweaking as expected.

Right now the latest Airedale I'm using is KLV-airdale-RT which has the 6.1.38-RT kernel, and I've experienced great network connectivity on laptops that I travel across the States with. YMMV.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

RT is NOT SR5.

I will be testing later tonight after I conclude QEMU test. I must admit, though, ALL of my PCs are old with youngest being a NUC that I rarely touch.

Will report back on test results tonight EST after things quiet down. Oh, my results will be using KLV-A vSR5 on use via ISO booting. I have never installed a forum distro in years, now, as there is no, personal, need for such with 'persistence' being what we have today.

Soon.

P.S. It appears that @rockedge has a new version SR5 up on his site here.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Clarity wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:04 am

RT is NOT SR5.

That's my point. The latest kernel/firmware combination is not necessarily going to be the most compatible with a certain hardware setup.

I'm currently using SR2 and RT as daily drivers because they work GREAT! Perhaps there are a couple tweaks in the later versions that I did manually on these earlier ones (like linking timezone info, I'd have to look at my logs to remember)

So I never booted SR3,4, or 5, because I didn't need to, and I should just to test them and give @rockedge the performance report that @mikewalsh and you are now doing.

The thing is I really load these distros up and use them for daily work, so I'm under a few time constraints as far as booting up every release goes. Oh well, in a perfect world....

The next iso I'm going to boot is KLV-awesome-RT

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Mike, can you show us the checksum of this ISO you used?

I recommend this one as I found issues with the older version of sr5

Code: Select all

# MD5
57755703e9079b9b5e27f32f9cd7174f  KLV-Airedale-sr5.iso

Having multiple ISO files with the same name but different contents makes for reporting problems a problem.

Return to “KLV-Airedale”