All-Linux file sharing. VirtualBox.

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

maker

All-Linux file sharing. VirtualBox.

Post by maker »

* Laptop running MX Linux connected to ethernet cable for internet.
* Puppy S15pup64 installation running in VirtualBox. NAT network setting. Internet works fine.

Is there a decent tutorial for file-sharing in such a situation?

Geek3579

Re: All-Linux file sharing. VirtualBox.

Post by Geek3579 »

maker wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:10 am

* Puppy S15pup64 installation running in VirtualBox. NAT network setting. Internet works fine.

I use a very simple system. PureFTPD is used on the host, and Gftp is used on the guest. Does not work the other way around it seems. Both of these are in Puppy Linux OOTB. I had hoped that you could download PureFTPD in MX-Linux via apt-get install pureftpd, if the repositories were updated first, but I could not get it to work. in MX-21 or MX-23. Sorry... There is no point in looking at the details unless you can load the required app into MX-Linux.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Geek3579 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:37 am

I use a very simple system. PureFTPD is used on the host, and Gftp is used on the guest. Does not work the other way around it seems. Both of these are in Puppy Linux OOTB. I had hoped that you could download PureFTPD in MX-Linux via apt-get install pureftpd, if the repositories were updated first, but I could not get it to work. in MX-21 or MX-23. Sorry... There is no point in looking at the details unless you can load the required app into MX-Linux.

The server - client can be reversed if the NAT is replaced by a "Bridged" adapter in VirtualBox's network settings.
with a bridged device SAMBA can be used as well.

Then there is program called croc that can transfer files peer-to-peer that works in NAT or Bridged I think.

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

rockedge wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:54 pm
Geek3579 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:37 am

The server - client can be reversed if the NAT is replaced by a "Bridged" adapter in VirtualBox's network settings.
with a bridged device SAMBA can be used as well.

Then there is program called croc that can transfer files peer-to-peer that works in NAT or Bridged I think.

Good idea. I looked for croc in the MX-Linux package manager and could not find it.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Geek3579 It's not in the repo's, croc is here -> https://github.com/schollz/croc/releases/tag/v9.6.5

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

rockedge wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:40 am

@Geek3579 It's not in the repo's, croc is here -> https://github.com/schollz/croc/releases/tag/v9.6.5

Thanks @rockedge . I will give that a try in MX-Linux. I know it works fine in Puppy Linux.

Return to “Beginners Help”