KLV-Bspwm test build

Moderator: Forum moderators

wiak

Re: KLV-Bspwm test build

Post by wiak »

williwaw wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:43 am

@wiak

Ah, I think your are not using the latest mount_chroot.sh script. I already coded out that above warning about /etc/resolv.conf in progname="mount_chroot.sh"; version="3.0.1"; revision="-rc4"

must have been an old copy I found on rockedges repo. I dont really understand much about chroots but tried to respond to his questions the best I could

new build running now... more than a few cups of coffee wait here, thanks for the tips
noted.
EDIT:
I saw your most recent post and aborted that build. I am working with rocksedge sample plug (with a few mods) from viewtopic.php?p=96885#p96885

yours is a good point about getting the cart in front of the horse, I need to go back and look over the plug for some other commands that left me wondering how files that needed actions also needed to be created before the commands were run

Just make sure you noticed my post about plug file naming (name MUST start with characters f_): viewtopic.php?p=97068#p97068

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

@wiak
I got the naming correct and the build completed and booted
some of the install commands during the build worked, some didnt. I did not see any apparent failures during the build, but was not watching the entire time

for instance

Code: Select all

snip
xbps-install -y base-minimal ncurses-base bash eudev file xterm xauth shadow ntfs-3g zstd rsync mc
xbps-install -y NetworkManager 
xbps-install -y sudo
xbps-install -y xorg chromium
xbps-install -y abook groff geany gftp sakura uget spacefm 
snip

mc and apparently ncurses and bash installed, but xterm was not

network manager installed and I was able to get a wireless connection and install many apps the were not there....

sudo was not there
xorg and chromium are not there
geany sakura and spacefm, not there etc

I do not know how much is missing, but I was able to fix up the 07firstrib-rootfs. Even got a desktop running under user spot!

I suspect the script to create spot and assign it to groups and create passwords needs work.
maybe I am better off asking less of the plug file and leaving more confiurations for after booting

during past builds, I have ran
./build_firstrib_rootfs.sh void default amd 64 f_v3.plug | tee log

not all that was seen flashing but in the terminal was teed to log? should I be able to see errors in the log also?

wiak

Post by wiak »

williwaw wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:59 am

I do not know how much is missing, but I was able to fix up the 07firstrib-rootfs. Even got a desktop running under user spot!

I suspect the script to create spot and assign it to groups and create passwords needs work.
maybe I am better off asking less of the plug file and leaving more confiurations for after booting

during past builds, I have ran
./build_firstrib_rootfs.sh void default amd 64 f_v3.plug | tee log

not all that was seen flashing but in the terminal was teed to log? should I be able to see errors in the log also?

Great you got spot desktop working too. Only suggestion is that you sometimes use xbps-install -Syu not just -y, to make sure repos updated correctly prior to app install. Occasionally I've had failures maybe when upstream changed something during a build(?).

Personally, I don't think you need to script everything in the f_ plug. I do a lot of basic remaster work too (via the likes of mount_chroot.sh/umount_chroot.sh), and if it works, it works. Some isos I've released contain a fair bit of manual tinkering... But of course, nice to have a complete or near complete f_ plug file because it also good for our failing memories to know exactly what we did..., and as exemplars for others to use/understand.

To get error messages also showing to log you need the likes of:

./build_firstrib_rootfs.sh void default amd 64 f_v3.plug 2>&1 | tee log

as far as I 'remember'.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Only suggestion is that you sometimes use xbps-install -Syu not just -y, to make sure repos updated correctly prior to app install. Occasionally I've had failures maybe when upstream changed something during a build

Totally agree! An important tip and reminder. xbps-install -Syu has rectified what I thought were mysterious problems so simply from time to time I had to treat my self to a cup of coffee :shock:

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

:welcome:
And so you can try to compile the assembly for the test, do not scold too much there are jambs - I get distracted by other things, and then I forget to put the files and register them in the plugin script (There are no wallpapers . .. I forgot to put them), okay, these are trifles during the test so as not to forget for later nada will record :) ;)

Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (149.42 KiB) Viewed 6219 times
Screenshot2.png
Screenshot2.png (150.94 KiB) Viewed 6219 times
Screenshot(1).png
Screenshot(1).png (98.25 KiB) Viewed 6219 times

KL
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

did not register for assembly in /usr/share/applications 2 important files for choosing semi-bar topics
panel themes Switcher

Attachments
FR_minimal_void_bspwm_rc4.sh.FALSE.gz
(3.04 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

KL

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

octoxbps does not want to run as root, how to register in the plugin so that it is normal ,,??

you also need to find the correct commands exit, sleep, restart, shutdown. Unfortunately, the commands prescribed in the Polybar scripts are not suitable for us
meanwhile I type in the console to exit- command reload
Turn off - poweroff
Reload - reboot :D

Wallpaper:
https://gitlab.com/sofija.p2018/kla-ot2 ... line=false

Last edited by Sofiya on Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KL

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I changed the /root/.local/share/applications/octoxbps.desktop files to

Exec=sudo -u spot /usr/bin/octoxbps
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Sofiya I have a version built and running :thumbup2: . Using the KLU kernel, I will also try the Void kernels from KLV-Airedale next on the next ISO. I have KLV-Bspwm running in QEMU currently and since working a lot with Spectrwm in KLV, figuring out the Bspwm controls is a bit easier.

I installed Rox and testing out speed and how "lite" the system is measured in RAM usage. KLV-Spectr-RT is outstanding in speed and efficiency using the Spectrwm tiling window manager which is just much lighter than the Xfce4 desktop. I would like to test a KLV-Bspwm-RT and see if this tiling window manager also brings really good system performance along with it. :ugeek:

Screenshot(39).jpg
Screenshot(39).jpg (14.88 KiB) Viewed 6171 times
Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

And finally, the exit menu, etc., is configured.

shutdown
reboot
lock
suspend
logout :thumbup: :) It remains to register 10 scripts .finish some details , and at the end I will get, amazing OS :thumbup2:

The topic with the name "hack" is registered under AMD-Radeon. Sensor indicators. Therefore, I immediately say (for your system individually) you will have to edit the configs . The rest of the configs will remain untouched by default. I configure this one to check how everything works and what is missing :geek:For some reason, there was an obstacle in Void, the check in the script does not work. Also, "Suspend" does not work for some reason, it is missing, this of course is not so critical for me.For example, I liked a very nimble system and responsive :D :thumbup:
Screen lock, console output, reboot, power off, now working as they should.
I can't remember what we installed in Puppy to make it work ( Suspend ) ???

Notification :
The build script is edited from time to time,

Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (153.91 KiB) Viewed 6129 times

KL

wiak

Post by wiak »

You guys are certainly very busy with your alternative designs. I think that's great. I can't stop experimenting either - like a drug - the system simply lends itself to that kind of thing with seemingly endless scope and possibility. It's particularly good to explore different types (tiling, stacked, tabbed and whatever) window managers or compositors since as you say some can be so efficient both to use and also in terms of system resource usage. Better to expand such work than become ever stuck in any rut that to some extent inhibits developments via one type of WM, compositor, file manager, terminal or whatever - truth is there are many choices and no one choice should or does suit everybody (and more so when you don't even know such choice/difference exists).

Plug-in sfs addons is a great way to keep alternatives of everything. Plug in what you want to the 99 layer-capable system, and off you go...!

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Suspend has also been fixed and now everything functions properly :) ! We will continue to work

shutdown
reboot
lock
suspend
logout

Attachments
Снимок экрана.png
Снимок экрана.png (12.41 KiB) Viewed 6098 times
Screenshot(4).png
Screenshot(4).png (154.44 KiB) Viewed 6098 times

KL

josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

Sofiya wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:22 am

shutdown
reboot
lock
suspend
logout :thumbup: :) It remains to register 10 scripts .finish some details , and at the end I will get, amazing OS :thumbup2:

The topic with the name "hack" is registered under AMD-Radeon. Sensor indicators. Therefore, I immediately say (for your system individually) you will have to edit the configs . The rest of the configs will remain untouched by default. I configure this one to check how everything works and what is missing :geek:For some reason, there was an obstacle in Void, the check in the script does not work. Also, "Suspend" does not work for some reason, it is missing, this of course is not so critical for me.For example, I liked a very nimble system and responsive :D :thumbup:

Notification :

hi @Sofiya

you are using bspwm, a desktop that I use a lot. but I recommend the jbmenu menu, since klv has it built in.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

josejp2424 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:24 pm
Sofiya wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:22 am

shutdown
reboot
lock
suspend

Notification :

hi @Sofiya

you are using bspwm, a desktop that I use a lot. but I recommend the jbmenu menu, since klv has it built in.

Hi @josejp2424 beautiful desktop, wonder why I haven't seen it yet ;)
I think we need to make 2 options with this menu and with jgmenu

KL

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Need help:
flash drives, disks are not mounted " /run/media/root "
gvfs , gvfs-smb , gvfs-mtp , gvfs-cdda installed

mounted manually:
Through the lsblk command, they are visible and "manually" mounted.

mount /dev/sda1
mount /dev/sda2

KL

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Sofiya, For KLV @fredx181 made a xbps package of pup-volume-monitor from Puppy Linux
pup-volume-monitor-1.15_0.x86_64.xbps Does work on KLV-Airedale nicely but have not yet fully integrated it into KLV so there is the xfce4 volume monitor also running. Might be worth trying out and turn off the xfce4 volume monitor.

pup-volume-monitor should be able to mount the partitions with a click or maybe auto-mount

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Sofiya wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:53 pm

Need help:
flash drives, disks are not mounted " /run/media/root "
gvfs , gvfs-smb , gvfs-mtp , gvfs-cdda installed

mounted manually:
Through the lsblk command, they are visible and "manually" mounted.

mount /dev/sda1
mount /dev/sda2

I can't exactly help, but I can add that using KLV-spectr, there are no auto mounting tools built in (though perhaps Thunar mounts drives), and I didn't install any.

I personally have a set of mount scripts that I use, and have used for some time with various distros. I store them in /mnt, and run them from Xfe or Rox.

This may seem wacky, but I have created a directory of mount points (folders) and mount, unmount scripts, and I copy them into my /mnt directory, which allows me to mount and unmount drives from Xfe no matter what OS I'm using. It also allows me to type the name of the script and mount from a terminal, in case I'm in the unusal case of running tty or something:

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@geo_c, @Sofiya We should test out pup-volume-monitor in KLV-Spectr and KLV-Bspwm. Might match up good with the Rox pinboard and make mounting - unmounting partitions easy including NTFS and FAT32.

If it works and is useful it can be a recommended package to install to further customize a personal system :thumbup:

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:49 am

@geo_c, @Sofiya We should test out pup-volume-monitor in KLV-Spectr and KLV-Bspwm. Might match up good with the Rox pinboard and make mounting - unmounting partitions easy including NTFS and FAT32.

If it works and is useful it can be a recommended package to install to further customize a personal system :thumbup:

And I think that's a good idea, but it's funny that I created these scripts using fossapup64_9.5, for the sole purpose of mounting from Xfe or midnight commander, even though fossa has a drive mounter and desktop icon unmounting. I simply liked the ease of clicking a script in Xfe and then opening the folder. They came in handy when I started using KLV-spectr.

I don't use them in KLV-airedale because Xfce likes to mount media in /run/media/root, though I have scripts to do that and they work, Xfce doesn't seem to know about it when they are unmounted, so the desktop icons in Xfce still show the drive mounted when I've unmounted. Or something like that, I haven't tried it in awhile.

geo_c

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

rockedge wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:53 pm

I changed the /root/.local/share/applications/octoxbps.desktop files to

Exec=sudo -u spot /usr/bin/octoxbps

Refuses to work

└># sudo -u spot /usr/bin/octoxbps 
Authorization required, but no authorization protocol specified

qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display :0
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, xcb.

Aborted

:( :?

KL

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Sofiya Try Exec=run-as-spot /usr/bin/octoxbps

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

rockedge wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:12 am

@Sofiya Try Exec=run-as-spot /usr/bin/octoxbps

Here it works! Thank you ! ;)
plugin needs to be rewritten

KL

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

rockedge wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:43 am

@Sofiya, For KLV @fredx181 made a xbps package of pup-volume-monitor from Puppy Linux
pup-volume-monitor-1.15_0.x86_64.xbps Does work on KLV-Airedale nicely but have not yet fully integrated it into KLV so there is the xfce4 volume monitor also running. Might be worth trying out and turn off the xfce4 volume monitor.

pup-volume-monitor should be able to mount the partitions with a click or maybe auto-mount

Disks are mounted everything OK ! Thank you!

Yoohoo I'm back in the saddle))

KL

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Everything seems to be going well at first glance. I can say one thing, some settings are quite difficult to transfer to the code, so I know that the machine will never be able to replace a person. In general, everything looks as intended. But it will be clear after the test assembly "KLA-Bspwm-Alpha" :)

wm independent hotkeys

#
# 
wm independent hotkeys
#

# Emulador de Terminal
super + Return
	defaultterminal 

# Emulador de screenshot
Print
	defaultscreenshot

# Iniciar programa
super + d
	rofi -show drun

# hacer que sxhkd vuelva a cargar sus archivos de configuración:
super + Escape
	pkill -USR1 -x sxhkd

#
# teclas de acceso rápido bspwm
#

#salir/reiniciar bspwm
super + alt + {q,r}
	bspc {quit,wm -r}

# cerrar y matar
super + {_,shift + }w
	bspc node -{c,k}

# alternar entre el diseño de mosaico y monóculo
super + m
	bspc desktop -l next

# enviar el nodo marcado más nuevo al nodo preseleccionado más nuevo
super + y
	bspc node newest.marked.local -n newest.!automatic.local

# intercambiar el nodo actual y el nodo más grande
super + g
	bspc node -s biggest

#
# estado/banderas
#

# establecer el estado de la ventana
super + {t,shift + t,s,f}
	bspc node -t {tiled,pseudo_tiled,floating,fullscreen}

# establecer las banderas de nodo
super + ctrl + {m,x,y,z}
	bspc node -g {marked,locked,sticky,private}

#
# enfocar/cambiar
#

# focus the node in the given direction
#super + {_,shift + }{h,j,k,l}
#	bspc node -{f,s} {west,south,north,east}

super + {_,shift + }{Left,Down,Up,Right}
       bspc node -{f,s} {west,south,north,east}

# focus the node for the given path jump
super + {p,b,comma,period}
	bspc node -f @{parent,brother,first,second}

# focus the next/previous node in the current desktop
super + {_,shift + }c
	bspc node -f {next,prev}.local

# focus the next/previous desktop in the current monitor
super + bracket{left,right}
	bspc desktop -f {prev,next}.local

# focus the last node/desktop
super + {grave,Tab}
	bspc {node,desktop} -f last

# focus the older or newer node in the focus history
super + {o,i}
	bspc wm -h off; \
	bspc node {older,newer} -f; \
	bspc wm -h on

# focus or send to the given desktop
super + {_,shift + }{1-9,0}
	bspc {desktop -f,node -d} '^{1-9,10}'

#
# preselect
#

# preselect the direction
super + ctrl + alt + {Left,Down,Up,Right}
	bspc node -p {west,south,north,east}

# preselect the ratio
super + ctrl + {1-9}
	bspc node -o 0.{1-9}

# cancel the preselection for the focused node
super + ctrl + space
	bspc node -p cancel

# cancel the preselection for the focused desktop
super + ctrl + alt + space
	bspc query -N -d | xargs -I id -n 1 bspc node id -p cancel

#
# move/resize
#

# expand a window by moving one of its side outward
#super + alt + {h,j,k,l}
#	bspc node -z {left -20 0,bottom 0 20,top 0 -20,right 20 0}

# contract a window by moving one of its side inward
#super + alt + shift + {h,j,k,l}
#	bspc node -z {right -20 0,top 0 20,bottom 0 -20,left 20 0}

# move a floating window
super + ctrl + {Left,Down,Up,Right}
	bspc node -v {-20 0,0 20,0 -20,20 0}

# Custom move/resize
alt + super + {Left,Down,Up,Right}
	/root/.config/bspwm/scripts/bspwm_resize {west,south,north,east}

# ---------------------------------------------
# CUSTOM
# ---------------------------------------------

# Brave-Nightly

super + shift + f
	defaultbrowser

# SYNAPTIC

super + ctrl + b
	run-as-spot octoxbps

# pcmanfm

super  + a
     defaultfilemanager

# Touchpad
Menu
     touchpad

# Pavucontrol

super + alt + p
     pavucontrol &

# Volme toggle

XF86AudioMute
     pactl set-sink-mute @DEFAULT_SINK@ toggle

# Volume +

XF86AudioRaiseVolume   
     pactl set-sink-volume @DEFAULT_SINK@ +5%

# Volume -

XF86AudioLowerVolume
     pactl set-sink-volume @DEFAULT_SINK@ -5%

# Brightness +
# XF86MonBrightnessUp
#     brightnessctl set +5%

# Brightness -
# XF86MonBrightnessDown
#     brightnessctl set 5%-
Attachments
2023-08-28_750x422-thumb.png
2023-08-28_750x422-thumb.png (79.49 KiB) Viewed 5931 times
2023-08-28_750x422-thumb1.png
2023-08-28_750x422-thumb1.png (53.63 KiB) Viewed 5931 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KL

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

KLA-BspwmCE-1.0 Alpha

And the long-awaited KLA-BspwmCE-1.0 Alpha is ready for testing. You can download the assembly script below or download the finished image

ISO: 693 Mib
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MXp9DD ... sp=sharing

SHA1-MD5 sum
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vipad- ... sp=sharing

Attachments
FR_minimal_void_bspwm_rc4.sh.FALSE.gz
(3.04 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
2023-08-29_750x422-thumb.png
2023-08-29_750x422-thumb.png (168.63 KiB) Viewed 5888 times
2023-08-29_750x422-thumb1.png
2023-08-29_750x422-thumb1.png (76.12 KiB) Viewed 5888 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

KL

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

I'm looking at the build script, and I might try this as a build from the script.

Because it calls for sofija.p2018/kla-ot2/-/raw/main/KLV-Bspwm/f_00_Void_amd64_noXsimple00_sofiya-120rc4.plug does that mean bspwm doesn't need X to run?

I suppose I should take a look at the plug file.

geo_c

wiak

Post by wiak »

geo_c wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:41 am

I'm looking at the build script, and I might try this as a build from the script.

Because it calls for sofija.p2018/kla-ot2/-/raw/main/KLV-Bspwm/f_00_Void_amd64_noXsimple00_sofiya-120rc4.plug does that mean bspwm doesn't need X to run?

I suppose I should take a look at the plug file.

No, I'm sure it needs X. I believe sofiya has simply indicated what plug was started with prior to expansion in KLV-Bspwm

For wayland tiling manager, we have Sway of course (and no doubt others), which also includes scope for tabbed and floating windows as it happens.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

I'll try and make a small Void Linux sway/wayland single build script too, to supplement these other tiling wm distros becoming popular here at the moment. Whilst I already created one based on minimal Ubuntu Jammy build, Void Linux is the best experimenters target (and the original FirstRib 'flavour') because it doesn't start at all with a big debootstrap style root filesystem, but simply from tiny busybox + static package manager (xbps) design. And easy therefore to make Void Linux builds as minimal or large as desired.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

I may have to try Bspwm soon.
you have a good eye for design!

wiak

Post by wiak »

williwaw wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:48 am

I may have to try Bspwm soon.
you have a good eye for design!

Yes I'm similarly curious about it now too.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Return to “KLV-Bspwm”