How to clone current frugal to new ssd?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

peppyy

How to clone current frugal to new ssd?

Post by peppyy »

Greetings again.
I got myself a 1tb PNY ssd and wanted to migrate my existing install of fossa64 to the new drive.
My current ssd drive has a fat32 boot partition and an ext4 partition with all my applications, files and settings. From what I have read it is a matter of installing Puppy to that drive and then copying my save file and additional sfs files to the drive.

I tried copying the drive, (Both partitions) with gparted from the cd running in ram to the new drive however, it would not boot and would revert to the older drive. I am guessing it was to do with the uuid. Doing so also created a long delay 30 to 40 seconds after the message loading the kernel. Just a flashing cursor before it would finally continue and boot.

Questions.
Is there an easy way to clone a drive in puppy? For instance, what if I choose "this" in the frugal installer and chose the new destination drive?

puppy installer this
puppy installer this
desktop(1).jpg (12.64 KiB) Viewed 1364 times

Do I need a fat32 boot partition or can it boot directly from the ext4 partition as long as it has a boot flag.

Am I better off installing from the cd and adding everything back after setup.

Puppy Linux. It just works!
Foassapup 9.5 64-(Frugal) Mobo, M5A99FX PRO - CPU, AMD FX-6300 6 core - mem,32GB - Storage
ssd 128GB M4 - ssd-256GB APS - ssd-1TB PNY - GPU GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G. Yes it's a Mutt.

bigpup

Re: Install current frugal to new ssd

Post by bigpup »

Yes you need the fat32 formatted small boot partition as the first partition on the drive.
Have the boot loader installed on it.
Flagged boot.

Most computers are looking for this partition to find the boot loader and continue the boot process.
This is a normal setup for computers with UEFI firmware for the bios.

If you are like me and most people, you have junk files and programs on the old drive, you no longer want.

So a clean start on the new drive is best.

Use Gparted to setup the new drive.

I usually make a new partition table and get the drive completely clean before making partitions. (MSDOS type, which any Puppy version can work with)
1st partition small 300MB size, formatted fat32, flagged boot.
Rest of drive any number of other partitions formatted how you want them.
At least one of them formatted a ext 3 or 4 format to install Puppy frugal installs on.

Frugalpup Installer will do a good job of doing a Puppy frugal install and putting a boot loader on the first partition.
May want to use the newest version.
viewtopic.php?t=337
Do you understand how to use this program?

If installing the same Puppy version you have a save for.
A copy of the save should work with the new install.

Sure, it is a little work to now copy over what you want to keep.
But like me, I found a lot of old outdated stuff, no longer needed, and no longer wanted.

Plus the old drive is still there if you need something from it.

Sure, there are cloning programs that can clone a new drive from an old drive.
But it will also do this.
If you are like me and most people, you have junk files and programs on the old drive, you no longer want.

So a clean start on the new drive is best.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

gychang

Re: Install current frugal to new ssd

Post by gychang »

peppyy wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:30 pm

Greetings again.
I got myself a 1tb PNY ssd and wanted to migrate my existing install of fossa64 to the new drive.
Questions.
Is there an easy way to clone a drive in puppy? For instance, what if I choose "this" in the frugal installer and chose the new destination drive?
desktop(1).jpg

Do I need a fat32 boot partition or can it boot directly from the ext4 partition as long as it has a boot flag.

this may help.
then copy the save folder.

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

peppyy

Re: How to clone current frugal to new ssd?

Post by peppyy »

Thanks @bigpup and @gychang I can wipe the drive and setup the boot partition just fine.
The suggestion for gpt on the boot partition is something I had not heard of. I always had the non-uefi bios before now.

Are the Puppy updates I have done from the original cd in the save file or do I have to update again?

Can I then put my additional sfs files on the drive also?

Thanks again ;)

Foassapup 9.5 64-(Frugal) Mobo, M5A99FX PRO - CPU, AMD FX-6300 6 core - mem,32GB - Storage
ssd 128GB M4 - ssd-256GB APS - ssd-1TB PNY - GPU GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G. Yes it's a Mutt.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@peppyy :-

Heh. 'Clone' is too strong a term for Puppy. To me, it's no more than a copy/paste job, at best. For 'frugal' installs all you're doing is to transfer the directory containing your Puppy from one drive to the next. You DO need to run

Code: Select all

blkid

.....in the terminal so's you can get the UUID of your new drive for editing the bootloader (so it boots to the correct location!)

That's all there is to it. And yes; you WILL need to load the SFSs again. I may be wrong, but I believe that during the 'loading' routine the SFS package somehow gets associated with that specific drive's UUID.

Assuming that's the original 'save-file'/'save-folder', it'll contain every single change made to Puppy since first boot, so.....yes; updates WILL be included there somewhere.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

peppyy wrote:

Are the Puppy updates I have done from the original cd in the save file or do I have to update again?

Can I then put my additional sfs files on the drive also?

Thanks again ;)

If the Puppy version you install on the new drive is the same one the save is for.
Copy the old save to the new drive frugal install.
Do a normal boot, using the save, and everything in it will be used.

Just copy any of the SFS file packages you want to still use to the new drive.
They do need to be placed on the same partition the frugal install is on.

Forum Global Moderator

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

Thanks guys. I think I will tackle this once it starts raining this afternoon. Might spend a while doing cleanup and putting some files in a separate backup partition first before booting live to ram. Once I am there I will save a copy of my save file too.
I now have 3 ssd's and a bunch of partitions so I will need to sort out all the uuid's.
See below.

root# blkid
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/loop1: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/loop2: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/loop3: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/loop4: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/loop5: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/loop6: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/sda1: UUID="a1971e89-35b9-4a39-87bd-f711e3c8ba49" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="d9fd57b3-01"
/dev/sda2: UUID="23e87557-0754-411b-a2fa-808a74855616" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="d9fd57b3-02"
/dev/loop7: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/loop8: TYPE="squashfs"
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/zdrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs: TYPE="squashfs"
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/puppy_fossapup64_9.5.sfs: TYPE="squashfs"
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/MasterPDFEditor-4.3.61-qt4_focal_amd64.sfs: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/loop9: TYPE="squashfs"
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/gimp-2.10.18-x86_64_9.5.sfs: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/sr0: UUID="2020-09-17-11-15-18-48" LABEL="CDROM" TYPE="iso9660" PTUUID="209e43b1" PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/sdc1: UUID="980D-CB3D" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="1db69e1e-01"
/dev/sdc2: LABEL="fossa" UUID="5604ad1f-8127-446c-9ae9-22c2310db054" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="1db69e1e-02"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="92eb0ab3-0143-462a-87df-63c2d32468ea" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="e9adc442-01"
/dev/sdb2: LABEL="backup" UUID="0424245008828FB5" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="e9adc442-02"
/dev/sdb3: LABEL="Storage2" UUID="19e4a6e1-1c80-4789-b6e6-c5da95d3e477" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="e9adc442-03"
/dev/sdc3: PARTUUID="1db69e1e-03"

Not as quick as I used to be since I got spoiled with how easy puppy is. ;) Actually have to think once in a while.

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

Formatted my new drive. Might be a little overkill for Puppy but at least I should know where to find things.

desktop(2).jpg
desktop(2).jpg (57.11 KiB) Viewed 1234 times

Now for the install ;)
Is F96 compatible with the older fossapup64 9.5 so I could use the same save file? have been thinking about testing it.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

peppyy wrote:

Is F96 compatible with the older fossapup64 9.5 so I could use the same save file?

It's not recommended. F96-CE_4 has quite a few upgrades. But if you back up the save file...give it a try. Depending on what you saved in the file it might work perfectly.

Let us know how it goes :thumbup:

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

Installed from the cd to sda2, installed boot record to sda1. I go to the boot menu in the bios and it won't boot to either. It will only boot to sdc2 which is my old install on the questionable drive. I see a quick flash in the screen that says something like (Try hdd 2) but it goes by so fast I can't tell. Then it then boots to the original install on sda2 after a long pause. Here are the records for the new drive.

@mikewalsh
According to blkid the boot partition and the os are.

/dev/sda1: UUID="4997-5D45" TYPE="vfat" PARTLABEL="boot" PARTUUID="0d0d2be6-7d66-494d-aa09-6882b3329111"
/dev/sda2: LABEL="Fossa2" UUID="8e0ef977-f65d-414d-b7b4-912e1b8e83a9" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="a766e4ff-52b0-47ab-92f6-5f8017252d75"
------------------------------

Grub.cfg on sda1 says.
set default=0
set timeout=5

set menu_color_normal='yellow/blue'
set menu_color_highlight='black/cyan'

loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/DejaVuSansMono18.pf2
set gfxmode=auto
terminal_output gfxterm

menuentry "Puppy fossapup64 9.5" {
insmod ext2
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 8e0ef977-f65d-414d-b7b4-912e1b8e83a9
echo "Loading vmlinuz"
linux /vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pdrv=Fossa2 pfix=fsck,fsckp,trim TZ=EST5EDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0
echo "Loading initrd.gz"
initrd /initrd.gz
}
if [ $grub_platform = 'efi' ]; then
menuentry 'System BIOS setup' {
fwsetup
}
fi
menuentry "Shutdown computer" {
halt
}
menuentry "Reboot computer" {
reboot
}
------------------------
I am wondering if it needs the PARTUUID in order to find it? The UUID appears to be correct. Any ideas?
@bigpup Could this be because I used the same cd for both installs? I see mention in the links you shared about MOC manager at this link http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/fru ... index.html so perhaps I need the new installer.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

@peppyy: I don't believe that you have stated how this machine boots - in legacy BIOS mode or in UEFI mode. This is crucial because it determines what stuff must be on the new hard drive.

If you are in legacy mode, you must do a GRUB2 install that puts its Stage1 code on the MBR of the drive. This is what the old Grub4Dos Bootloader Config tool did.

If you are in UEFI mode, your fat32 partition must contain an EFI folder with some .efi files.

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

@rcrsn51 I see the bios has always listed UEFI operating systems. Tried to disable it once and it wouldn't find anything. Used to have win10 on the drive my old install is on.
It does boot to Tahr64 when I need it which was not UEFI. I will try reinstalling the boot-loader. I do have an efi folder on the boot partition.

sda1-efi-boot.jpg
sda1-efi-boot.jpg (19.59 KiB) Viewed 1145 times

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

This machine sounds like a desktop/tower with multiple internal drives. Is sda the new drive?

On the other drives, rename any grub.cfg files so GRUB will ignore them.

Reboot.

sonny

Post by sonny »

peppyy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:37 pm

@rcrsn51 I see the bios has always listed UEFI operating systems. Tried to disable it once and it wouldn't find anything. Used to have win10 on the drive my old install is on.
It does boot to Tahr64 when I need it which was not UEFI. I will try reinstalling the boot-loader. I do have an efi folder on the boot partition.
sda1-efi-boot.jpg

RescueZilla.png
RescueZilla.png (257.82 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

@bigpup Could this be because I used the same cd for both installs? I see mention in the links you shared about MOC manager at this link http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/fru ... index.html so perhaps I need the new installer.

Same CD is fine to use.
MOC manager is something you may ssee if you try to boot on a computer with UEFI and secure boot is enabled.
MOC manager will install the puppy security key so it can boot with secure boot enabled in UEFI setup.

Telling us you did the install is not enough info.
Exactly how?????
Specific details?????
You did this, than this, and this????

WHAT PARTITION TABLE DID YOU USE WHEN YOU PARTITIONED THE DRIVE?????
This will tell use what type boot loader can be installed and used.

How many drives are connected in the computer when you boot?
Only the new drive or also the old drives?
Do you have the UEFI bios setup set to use the new drive as the first boot device?
Or at boot you select to see a boot device list and choose from it what drive to boot from?

If you used Frugalpup installer v20 to do the install.

You really should try using the Frugalpup installer v40.

The entries you posted for the grub.cfg do not look correct.
Sure are not the same as my grub.cfg entries.

Example:
This is a frugal install in a directory (f96ce4) i made when Frugalpup install asked if
I wanted to make one. F96-CE_4 is the Puppy version.
Notice in mine the pdrv= is a uuid code of the location for the stuff.
Yours has pdrv=Fossa2.
Whatever that is?????
Oh that is your drive partition label.

Maybe make in your grub.cfg pdrv= the uuid of the partition the Fossapup files are on :idea:

menuentry "Puppy fossapup64 9.6" {
insmod ext2
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 65e43c75-03a8-4570-9d4c-3ff05cb1a1c2
echo "Loading vmlinuz"
linux /f96ce4/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash pdrv=65e43c75-03a8-4570-9d4c-3ff05cb1a1c2 psubdir=/f96ce4 pfix=fsck,fsckp TZ=EST5EDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0
if [ -e /f96ce4/local-initrd.gz ]; then
set local_rd=/f96ce4/local-initrd.gz
else
set local_rd=
fi
if [ -e /f96ce4/ucode.cpio ]; then
set ucode_rd=/f96ce4/ucode.cpio
echo "Loading ucode.cpio and initrd.gz"
else
set ucode_rd=
echo "Loading initrd.gz"
fi
initrd $ucode_rd /f96ce4/initrd.gz $local_rd
}

Note:
The ucode.cpio part of this is for Puppy versions that provide ucode.cpio file in their ISO.
There are only a few very new ones that do.
It is not used unless it finds ucode.cpio file in the install.

Forum Global Moderator

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

@bigpup

Telling us you did the install is not enough info.
Exactly how?????
Specific details?????
You did this, than this, and this????

I realized today, that as you stated, my partition for the boot drive was incorrect. I watched the video, (farther back in the thread) and followed the directions. My boot now says boot, esp.

desktop(2).jpg
desktop(2).jpg (57.11 KiB) Viewed 1076 times

The rest was several ext4 partitions, all marked primary. I did the install directly from the fossapup 9.5 cd, live with pfix=ram, as per the cd says run in ram no savefile on sda2. I then went to the grub4dos and installed the boot on sda1 with frugalpup manager, (Recommended option).

WHAT PARTITION TABLE DID YOU USE WHEN YOU PARTITIONED THE DRIVE?????
This will tell use what type boot loader can be installed and used.

How many drives are connected in the computer when you boot?
Only the new drive or also the old drives?
Do you have the UEFI bios setup set to use the new drive as the first boot device?
Or at boot you select to see a boot device list and choose from it what drive to boot from?

I have 3 drives, all ssd, sata6 in the "Tower"/desktop. One with tahr64, one with fossapup 64, Which I am trying to move to the new drive) a 1tb pny ssd. All drives are still in the computer. I have UEFI bios, however it is an early version that only lists Windows Manager and Other os which is currently on "Other OS". I have changed boot order, tried manually selecting the boot and even wiped the new drive and reinstalled from cd. The bios lists both the boot partition and the UEFI os partition. I have tried them both.

You really should try using the Frugalpup installer v40.

How do I do that from a live cd?

Yours has pdrv=Fossa2.

When formatting the drive I gave it "labels" to more easily identify the partitions. I edited my grub.cfg file on sda1 to match the blkid UUID for sda2, removing the reference for the label name "fossa2" and replaced it with this from.

insmod ext2
    echo "Loading vmlinuz"
    linux /vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pdrv=8e0ef977-f65d-414d-b7b4-912e1b8e83a9 pfix=fsck,fsckp,trim TZ=EST5EDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0
    echo "Loading initrd.gz"
    initrd /initrd.gz

Sorry for all the questions, I am not as sharp as I once was ;) I will give it another try after I have some concentration back. For now I will wipe and format the new drive again without labels and efi.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

If you are running from Fossapup64 on a live CD.
I assume you made a save for it to use located on one of the drives.
If you download the Frugalpup v40 and install it, will be in the save.
But even if you have no save, the install will be in the file system in RAM and run as if installed.

When you run Frugalpup installer.
Puppy button on main window does the install.
Then boot button does boot loader install.

When doing the install it will offer if you want to make a directory to put all the files in.
If you make this directory. (Read info provided on how to do it. After giving directory name. Press enter key makes the directory, not OK in the frugalpup window)
Frugalpup installer will put all the Puppy files in it, just like a normal frugal install.

With all these drives do be very careful to select the correct drive.

With other internal drives in computer.
I would think one of the other drives would be sda.
Maybe it could be where the new drive is connected to the motherboard.
The UEFI boot hardware detection, sees that as the first drive, so it gets sda identifier.

Forum Global Moderator

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

Thanks again @bigpup The Motherboard has 6 sata connectors. I put the new drive in the #1 position when I tore it down and reconnected the drives. I used new sata6 cables as that meets the specs on the board.

I notice that the oldest drive, (with tahr64) which is now sdb is sometimes not recognized when I boot. BTW, Tahr was a full install and still works. I just noticed there is no fat32 partition on that drive it instead uses the menu.lst and chainloader.

I am guessing that changing the connectors for the physical connector on the motherboard could be causing problems? The drives are pretty easy to identify by size and brand.

I will go to the live CD later today and try the new installer.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Disconnect the old drives and get the machine booting off the new drive.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

BTW, Tahr was a full install and still works. I just noticed there is no fat32 partition on that drive it instead uses the menu.lst and chainloader.

That is the old way of doing it in legacy bios, before UEFI bios got into computers.

I bet it has a msdos partition table and is using Grub4dos as the boot loader (menu.lst).

It will work with UEFI if in it's setup, is in legacy mode or CSM, with secure boot disabled.
This makes it work like the old bios did.
Grub4dos boot loader does not support UEFI in normal mode and cannot normally be installed on a GPT partition table setup.
GPT partition table does not make a mbr area that normal Grub4dos boot loader install wants to put stuff in.

Frugalpup Installer (boot installer) can install Grub4dos boot loader on a GPT setup, if you select both types to install, but I think it does the install all to a partition and not to mbr.
This seems to be more for support of booting a USB install on any type computer. UEFI or old bios.
If you have UEFI setup to run in legacy or CSM mode, it works like old bios.

The newer Puppy versions are better setup to work with UEFI.
So best to give UEFI what it is normally looking for.
1st small partition, formatted fat32, with boot loader files on it.
Especially if you are going to have secure boot enabled and working in normal UEFI.
Which will require a UEFI capable boot loader.

Full UEFI normal operation.
I have one laptop that is setup in UEFI with secure boot enabled and normal UEFI operation.
That one has the drive using a GPT partition table.
1st small partition, formatted fat32, flagged boot.esp, and UEFI boot loader with the MOC manager and Puppy cert file.
2nd partition, formatted ext4, with frugal Puppy installs.
First boot the MOC manager installed the Puppy cert file on the computer.
2nd boot it booted to a normal desktop , because now the Puppy cert is provided for secure boot to see.

Welcome to the confusing world of getting the boot loader correctly setup! :roll:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My main computer UEFI is setup to operate in legacy mode with secure boot disabled.
I boot a bunch of Puppy versions installed on a external SSD using a msdos partition table.
1st partition, small, formatted fat32, flagged boot.esp, grub4dos boot loader installed, used to boot.
(I could use a UEFI boot loader Frugalpup Installer will install, but it only looks on one partition for Puppy installs, Grub4dos config looks on all partitions on a drive)
several other partitions, different formats, with frugal Puppy installs.
Boots with no problem, because computer boots like old legacy bios.

It has Windows 10 on it.
When I boot Windows.
(it is installed on a internal drive, with normal setup for UEFI, Windows cert installed on computer)
i set the UEFI to work in normal UEFI, with secure boot enabled.
That makes Windows 10 happy :thumbup: :evil: :roll:

Forum Global Moderator

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

After reading the thread again and again I believe I have seen a lightbulb lighting up. (Still dim but getting brighter) ;)

I have 2 boot partitions, one on sda1 and one on sdc1. It only needs one in legacy mode with menu.lst correct?

This is probably why it keeps saying (try hdd 0,2) whenever I try to boot any drive. It also says wrong efi loader signature.

I will read up on grub4dos today and see what I am doing wrong. It appears that no matter which drive I try to boot to in the bios the only one that it boots to is sdc2.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

rcrsn51 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:37 pm

Disconnect the old drives and get the machine booting off the new drive.

Have you done this?

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

@rcrsn51 I have not done that yet. I have been looking into how to list all the drives on a single boot partition. The full tower is a bit of a job to work on. I will try it as soon as I cannot work outside. (Most likely tomorrow) since we have had rain every day or 2 since June. :roll:

EDIT:
! am currently booted to my new drive sda. I booted to the live cd and chose Boot to first drive (hd0,0) and I am finally home on sda2. (my copy from the original install). I looked at the grub entry on the cd and it says.

# Boot from Partition Boot Sector

title Boot first hard drive (hd0,0)
  root (hd0,0)
  chainloader +1 || chainloader /grldr || chainloader /bootmngr

Is it really that simple?

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Did you ever try to directly boot from sda after you edited the grub.cfg entry for it's boot loader on sda1?

The edit of changing the pdrv to the UUID of sda2.

i

nsmod ext2
echo "Loading vmlinuz"
linux /vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pdrv=8e0ef977-f65d-414d-b7b4-912e1b8e83a9 pfix=fsck,fsckp,trim TZ=EST5EDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0
echo "Loading initrd.gz"
initrd /initrd.gz

Forum Global Moderator

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

The strange thing is, this boot menu entry is there for booting Windows from the CD boot loader menu.
Usually on the internal drive and boot files on hd0,0
Probably the chainloader /grldr part is what is booting Puppy.

# Boot from Partition Boot Sector

title Boot first hard drive (hd0,0)
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1 || chainloader /grldr || chainloader /bootmngr

bootmngr is the Windows boot loader.

I am really having a hard time seeing why you are having so much trouble.

If you setup the drive with a new partition table, partitions, and formats.

Used Frugalpup installer v40
Used it to do a frugal install to the drive.
Used it to install a boot loader on the drive. Type UEFI.

For the Puppy versions you are trying to use.
It should boot to a working desktop with no issues.

Having secure boot disabled in the UEFI setup, will eliminate the need to install the Puppy security key on first boot attempt.
So no need to run MOC manager, which for some people is not that clear exactly how to use it.
It does have to be carefully read and do exactly what it tells you to do.

Forum Global Moderator

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

Thanks again @bigpup I Have read that you only need one boot partition for all your installs over all your drives and partitions and only need to update grub.
I am guessing since I have a boot partition on both drives that this could be causing the problem. When I went to install grub on the first partition on the new drive, it offered me sda1 and sdc1 as boot partitions.

I am going to make my first partition on my old drive, "500mb fat32 boot", my original one and move it to channel 1 on the sata connectors.

My bios always lists drives in a different order when I go to boot menu, so it could also be that the bios is having issues or "auto-magically seeing what it wants to see". It is up to date with firmware. (As close as there is for it), however, sometimes it does not recognize one of my 3 drives. Usually the one with Tahr on it. I just have a mess right now and am thinking I should just make a backup on a partition of the new drive and move on from there.

I have a lot of my files backed up to cd's and will backup what I think I will need before going any deeper.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

When I went to install grub on the first partition on the new drive, it offered me sda1 and sdc1 as boot partitions.

Frugalpup Installer, when installing a boot loader.
will search all drives that are internal or external connected to the computer.
Will offer any fat32 formatted partition it finds, on any of the drives, as locations to install the boot loader.
so you have to select the correct one to install the boot loader on.
The next thing it asks is where are the Puppy frugal installs the boot loader will be setup to boot.
Note:
It will only setup the boot loader menu to boot frugal installs located on one specific partition you tell it.
It does not search all drives for frugal installs.
It supports a two partition drive setup.
1st partition for boot loader stuff, 2nd partition for all the Puppy frugal installs.
Can still have more partitions on the drive, but all Puppy frugal installs, only on the same partition.

I have two internal connected drives and two external connected drives.
Each drive has the small 1st partition, formatted fat32, flagged boot.
Another partition with multiple Puppy frugal installs on it.
The boot loader on each drive is setup with boot menu entries for booting what is on that specific drive.

But I have no problem selecting in the UEFI setup what drive to make the first boot device.
The first device it tries to boot from.
Right now it is set to boot from an external SSD as first boot device.

If I press F11 key as it first powers on. (the key to press is different for other makes of computers)
I get a boot device selection list I can select which device(drive) to boot from.

Forum Global Moderator

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

however, sometimes it does not recognize one of my 3 drives.

that would be a good reason to have a boot partition on each drive. If it starts to consistently not pick up a drive, then there are still possibilities. I rely on my boot disk selector menu
setting the boot order in the bios setup, not so much, as entries from past choices can remain in bios menus, just not always in the viewable list in the boot order setup. try scrolling down/unhiding and removing obsolete choices.

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

Finally got around to sorting it out. Used dmesg to look at what was happening. looked up the first red error, which was at 80 something seconds and found it was a bad sata cable.
Got a new cable and replaced it and I am back to a sub 30 second boot time.

Thanks for all the help.

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

One more note.
If you use gparted to "change" the label on a drive you must edit grub.cfg in order for it to be found.

I changed the label on my install partition with gparted from
new-fossa to Fossa2 and it could not find the drive. I edited this part of grub.cfg and all was good.

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (82.21 KiB) Viewed 375 times

I did not realize that grub uses the label to find the drive.

Return to “Users”