Is there a Puppy for 3D printing and/or radio control?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

ravensrest

Is there a Puppy for 3D printing and/or radio control?

Post by ravensrest »

Is anyone using any version of Puppy for radio control or 3D printing applications? If so I would like to learn what you are using with which puppies. I use Repetier, Betaflight, eePe, Cura, Arduino Avrdude, and Arduino IDE with Precise, Bionicpup, Xenialpup, and/or Tahrpup. Not all apps run in all of my Puppies.
Thanks,
BS

Flash

Re: Is there a Puppy for 3D printing and/or radio control?

Post by Flash »

I believe there was a real time Puppy developed a few years ago. Would that be what you're looking for?

Chaos coordinator :?
s243a

Post by s243a »

I have some 3D printing software installed on Fatdog64. My wife was into 3D printing for a bit.

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

I'm not familiar with your apps, but I intend to use Tinkercad (more popular here regionally than Google's SketchUp) in the cloud and discontinued Autodesk 123D in Windows for support of the .STL file format.

My prolific posting here is mostly about getting up to speed on secure systems (backup) so I can do that.

( very little productive computer time right now ) :|

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@ravensrest :-

If you use Cura, this would be with an Ultimaker printer, yes? I assume you're aware of the Linux AppImages..?

I've had Cura 3.0.4 in my AppImages directory for a while (downloaded to help another Puppian out a while back), and have just downloaded 4.7.1, the current stable release. Both fire up, and appear to run fine in Xenialpup64. Haven't tried these in other Puppies yet, but I would imagine they'll probably run OK under Bionic & Fossa, too.

Just my two-penn'orth, FWIW.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

ravensrest

Post by ravensrest »

Thanks to all of you who replied.

Flash, do you know the name of that Puppy or where it is located?

s243a, which software are you using?

JASpup, Tinkercad is a great little no-cost tool for assembling many simple printable objects. I use it frequently. Its .stl files work fine with Repetier or Cura. You might also give Thingiverse.com a try; it has thousands of pre-made .stl files for all sorts of applications.

Mike, I am now using Cura 4.7.1 (2.7.0, then 4.7.0 originally), Repetier Host 2.1.6, Arduino IDE 1.8.5, and Betaflight Configurator 10.7.0. All of these are 64-bit apps. I use the AppImages for Cura and Repetier. The Arduino is a .deb file. Betaflight is a .zip file that creates a stand-alone executable. All four install and run fine in Tahrpup. Arduino and Repetier will also run in BionicPup. Suprisingly (to me at least), Cura tries to load in BionicPup, but crashes when trying to load the UI. I say surprising because Repetier uses the Cura engine for its slicer, and it runs just fine in BionicPup. Betaflight loads in BionicPup, but won't connect to the aircraft correctly via USB, but it will run and connect in XenialPup as well as TahrPup. I wanted to USE these apps rather than make a research project out of them, so because I could get each of them to run in one or more Pups, I went that route instead of troubleshooting, though I wish all of them ran in BionicPup, my go-to Puppy.

Eepe is currently only available in a 32-bit version for Linux, so I install and run it in Precise 5.7.1. It is a .deb file.

If any of you can suggest 'fixes' so some of the apps will run in BionicPup, or have suggestion for alternative apps, I'd be happy to learn of them.

Oops, forgot. My printer is an Anet A8, basically a Prusa i3.

BS

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

ravensrest wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:43 pm

JASpup, Tinkercad is a great little no-cost tool for assembling many simple printable objects. I use it frequently. Its .stl files work fine with Repetier or Cura. You might also give Thingiverse.com a try; it has thousands of pre-made .stl files for all sorts of applications.

Understand now your packages are for printing. Been using shared printers myself, fortunately managed by others. My first print was from Thingiverse, a glow-in-the-dark stand my phone is in at the moment (edited by myself to remove material not structurally or aesthetically needed).

Seems like we'd have more Linux CAD activity with 3D and .stl compatibility.

Qcad is found in Quickpets, but according to this page FreeCAD will import/export .stl. Choices.

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Manual:Impo ... _filetypes

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@ravensrest :-

I don't know if this would be of any interest to you.

I came across OpenSCAD quite some time ago, back in the early days of 3D printing. Somebody else on the old Forum was asking about it, and my interest was piqued, so.....I had a "shufti" around to see what was what. This was one that stuck out as perhaps being useful.....

Worth a look, I guess, if nothing else! :lol:

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Lekium

Post by Lekium »

I use Freecad and PrusaSlicer, my printer is a Creality Ender-2 :thumbup2:

How can I get Arduino running on BionicPup64?

ravensrest

Post by ravensrest »

Lekium, I have been using Arduino IDE v1.8.5 in Bionicpup64, but I just downloaded v1.8.13 (the current version) from https://www.arduino.cc/en/software. I double clicked to expand it, and then just double clicked the extracted "arduino" file to run it. Seems to work just fine.
BS

Return to “Users”