Moderator: Forum moderators

bigpup

Re: Bookworm Pup64 10.0

Post by bigpup »

@wizard

Maybe this info will help you:
https://www.osradar.com/vlc-not-finding ... ux-solved/

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Following on from what bigpup posted a link to, I think in Debian the protobuf needed for VLC may be named libprotobuf-lite32 rather than just protobuf. It is listed as a dependency of vlc-plugin-base. I do recall this being one of the libraries that I had to add in the VLC which had casting working. The problem is though that if Debian don't offer a package of libmicrodns in their repos, it may be that their build of VLC does not offer casting at all. They may consider it an "experimental feature" and leave it out, unless anyone can confirm that they have had it working? I am sure that in my build, libmicrodns was compiled from source by me, but even if you do that, you might still be missing the plugin anyway.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

You can use apt install --install-recommends vlc to install VLC including all optional sub-packages and optional dependencies.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@bigpup
The link looked promising, but the apt command listed finds nothing.

@OscarTalks
libprotobuf-lite32 is installed, and as you said, libmicrodns is not in Debian repo. The closest thing I have that's working is my MX linux install which has VLC 3.0.16

@dimkr
I had used synaptic to install all the VLC stuff so when I ran

apt install --install-recommends vlc

, it did not add anything

Thanks
wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

The plugin for VLC to work with libmicrodns should be:-
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/vlc/plugins/services_discovery/libmicrodns_plugin.so
If this is not present I suspect it may not work, unless the casting is using some other library instead.
However I will post .PET packages of libmicrodns-0.2.0 compiled from source in Bookworm Pup in case they are of any use.
Obviously the _DEV package is only needed if you intend to compile VLC (or anything else which depends on libmicrodns).

Attachments
libmicrodns-0.2.0-x86_64-bkwm.pet
(9.76 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
libmicrodns_DEV-0.2.0-x86_64-bkwm.pet
(3.44 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

wizard wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:41 pm

@bigpup
The link looked promising, but the apt command listed finds nothing.

@OscarTalks
libprotobuf-lite32 is installed, and as you said, libmicrodns is not in Debian repo. The closest thing I have that's working is my MX linux install which has VLC 3.0.16

@dimkr
I had used synaptic to install all the VLC stuff so when I ran

apt install --install-recommends vlc

, it did not add anything

Thanks
wizard

libmicrodns is in a 3rd party repo: likely why synaptic doesn't find it. Available for Bookworm from this page, https://debian.pkgs.org/12/multimedia-m ... 4.deb.html

When we only had PPM we took it for granted that it didn't find 100% of all dependencies. apt/synaptic is better, but not perfect.

Edit, I see that oscartalks had beat me to a possible solution once again; and likely a better one :D .

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Installing libmicrodns won't make VLC magically support mDNS, because the VLC package in the Debian main repo is not built with the required plugin (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/vlc/plugins/services_discovery/libmicrodns_plugin.so).

Instead, you should enable the deb-multimedia repo (follow the instructions in https://deb-multimedia.org/), then install the vlc package from this repo (as opposed to, the VLC package from the main repo).

wizard

Post by wizard »

@OscarTalks

Installed libmicrodns-0.2.0-x86_64-bkwm.pet and rebooted, here is the terminal output when running VLC>Playback>Renderer:
Thanks
wizard

vlc-cast.png
vlc-cast.png (58 KiB) Viewed 3774 times

Geek3579

Re: Bookworm Pup64

Post by Geek3579 »

mikeslr wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:15 am

Well, I had my 2nd cup of coffee and then some. Enough time to download BookwormPup64 and have a look around. It always helps to know what you're talking about, :) 'though that interferes with using your imagination. :cry: dimkr, of course, is right: BWP64 supports both SaveFolders AND Savefiles. And if you create one of each --just like AUFS puppies-- on bootup you'll be offered the choice of which to use. (I don't recall if the choice of None was offered). Edit: Yes, the None choice is offered. Tip: In fact, you can create a 'false' SaveFolder --i.e., just create a folder with the name dpupsave [I added a -null to remind me that it was 'empty']-- and on boot-up the choice of not using any Save will be offered. Much easier than editing your Menu.lst/grub.cfg if booting 'pfix=ram' is only needed once. But note, it has to be a false SaveFolder. A False SaveFile is ignored.

Overlays have come a long way since I last looked into them. :thumbup: :D
I didn't test to see what happens under (the equivalent of) PupMode 12. I copied the boot stanza used with an existing Puppy, just editing the specification of the folder where grub.cfg was to find the initrd. The stanza I copied used the argument pmedia=ataflash; and SaveSession was prefigured for 0/zero, Ask at shutdown.

@ radky. The kernel line of the stanza I used had several arguments. They did no harm, but I'm not sure they were needed. Is there anything we should know about boot arguments that differs when overlays are used? And maybe include an "Example" boot stanza in the ISO. It might help those completely lost.

I noticed that Menu>Setup offers Remaster and Utilities>nicOS-Utilities-Suite. Are those vestigial, or expected to function properly under overlays? OOTB?

SFS aren't loaded 'on the fly' (at least libreoffice wasn't) but rather are que'd for loading on next boot-up. A couple AppImages I tried worked OOTB.

pdict is absent. AFAICT, it can't be installed. I booted into F-96, but gnewpet didn't find it among either builtins or user installed. No pets of it are available for any recent Pup at ibiblio. So I looked for all the files F-96 had relating to it (there were 2, one a script in /usr/sbin, the other a pixmap) and built a pet. It didn't function under BWP64. Maybe just as well. pdict accesses data online. I used synaptic to install artha & its associated wordnet.

pwidgets-2.6.0-x86_64 was fully functional OOTB. But that presented the 'Conky' problem. Both want to occupy the same deskspace. Conky uses it at boot-up because of a script in /root/Startup. The problem is that if I 'delete' the script that only prevents the script from running by writing a '.wh' white-out. If I later create an ydrv or modify the adrv using nic's Save2SFS, it captures the white-out. Shouldn't having the Conky display be the user's choice without complications?

All told, however, you've really created a beautiful Puppy. :thumbup:

I have tried loading more than one sfs, but on reboot, the first/existing sfs has disappeared. Is this a one-shot-wonder feature of Bookwormpup or have I missed something??

wizard

Post by wizard »

@dimkr

My first time to attempt this, so may have made errors.

Using instructions from your link, added this line to sources.list:
deb https://www.deb-multimedia.org bookworm main non-free

Ran:
apt-get update
apt-get update -oAcquire::AllowInsecureRepositories=true
apt-get install deb-multimedia-keyring
apt-get dist-upgrade

Open Synaptics>Origin>stable/main(www.deb-multimedia.org)
-selected: vlc>mark for installation>mark>Apply
Indicates broken packages
-Edit>Fix Broken Packages gives following:
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
E: Unable to correct dependencies
E: Unable to correct dependencies

Not sure how to proceed.

Thanks
wizard

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

wizard wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:22 pm

My first time to attempt this, so may have made errors.

What does apt install vlc say?

radky

Re: XFE not running bash shell scripts

Post by radky »

wizard wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:30 pm

BW64 has XFE file manager v1.45 with Edit>Preferences>Dialogs>Confirm execute text files enabled. This results in frequent spinning cursors delays. Unchecking this setting stops the delays, but in this version it also disables XFE's ability to run script files. This was not the case in prior versions. I down revved XFE to v1.43.2 and it fixed the issue.

@wizard

XFE 1.45 (released 30 Dec 2022) is the current version available in the Debian repositories for Bookworm, Trixie and Sid. The older 1.43.2 version is still available in the Bullseye repository, and 1.43.1 in the Buster repository.

If I understand correctly (see link below), XFE 1.44 and 1.45 implement fixes for multiple minor bugs in 1.43.2, and also add new features such as an option to adjust the DPI resolution of XFE for HiDPI monitors.

http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/

It seems reverting XFE to an older version may address your reported issue, but for other users this could inadvertently remove new features and potentially reintroduce old bugs. If your current issue persists, maybe consider a new bug report to the XFE developer.

radky

Re: Apulse volume control changes itself in Firefox

Post by radky »

wizard wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:25 pm

Stream a video in Firefox and use Menu>Multimedia>PulseAudio Volume Control to increase the volume in Firefox. If you pause and then restart the video, the volume setting returns itself to 100%. How do you lock the control setting?

@wizard

For me, the following methods correctly retain the selected volume level when pausing/restarting an audio-video stream in Firefox:

1 - Changing output volume via the tray pa-applet icon (volume control slider)
2 - Changing output volume via Menu -> Multimedia -> PulseAudio Volume Control -> Output Devices -> Audio volume control slider

wizard

Post by wizard »

@radky

My first message on this left out part of the selection which I have bolded below.

Stream a video in Firefox and use Menu>Multimedia>PulseAudio>Playback Volume Control to increase the volume in Firefox. If you pause and then restart the video, the volume setting returns itself to 100%. How do you lock the control setting?

Your suggestion number 2 looks like it works since I need to boost the volume to more than 100% on my laptop installs.

2 - Changing output volume via Menu -> Multimedia -> PulseAudio Volume Control -> Output Devices -> Audio volume control slider

Does seem odd that the setting in Playback resets itself.

Thanks
wizard

wizard

Post by wizard »

@dimkr

Code: Select all

# apt install vlc
Waiting for cache lock: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend. It is heWaiting for cache lock:

Continued to repeat until I killed it w/ctrl z

Thanks
wizard

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

wizard wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:26 pm

Continued to repeat until I killed it w/ctrl z

You need to close Synaptic.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

If Firefox is running.
I have had times with Firefox, where using Pulse Audio controls for making a change to what is providing sound.

The sound in Firefox is not working.

After making the change using Pulse Audio controls.

Closing and restarting Firefox seems to fix sound in Firefox.

Now Firefox works using the sound changes I made.

Forum Global Moderator

wizard

Post by wizard »

@dimkr
Dumb mistake :oops:

Code: Select all

# apt install vlc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libavcodec60 : Depends: libaom3 (>= 1:3.6.1) but 3.6.0-1 is to be installed
                Depends: libdav1d6 (>= 1:1.2.1) but 1.0.0-2 is to be installed
                Depends: libmp3lame0 (>= 1:3.100) but 3.100-6 is to be installed
                Depends: libsvtav1enc1 (>= 2:1.5.0) but 1.4.1+dfsg-1 is to be installed
                Depends: libswresample4 (>= 10:6.0) but 7:5.1.3-1 is to be installed
                Depends: libtwolame0 (>= 1:0.4.0) but 0.4.0-2 is to be installed
                Depends: libx264-164 (>= 4:0.164.3107+gita8b68eb) but 2:0.164.3095+gitbaee400-3 is to be installed
                Depends: libx265-199 (>= 1:3.5) but 3.5-2+b1 is to be installed
                Depends: libxvidcore4 (>= 3:1.3.7) but 2:1.3.7-1 is to be installed
 libavformat60 : Depends: libbluray2 (>= 2:1.3.4) but 1:1.3.4-1 is to be installed
                 Depends: libchromaprint1 (>= 1:1.5.1) but 1.5.1-2+b1 is to be installed
                 Depends: librist4 (>= 1:0.2.7) but 0.2.7+dfsg-1 is to be installed
 vlc-plugin-base : Depends: libass9 (>= 2:0.17.1) but 1:0.17.1-1 is to be installed
                   Depends: libbluray2 (>= 2:1.3.4) but 1:1.3.4-1 is to be installed
                   Depends: libchromaprint1 (>= 1:1.5.1) but 1.5.1-2+b1 is to be installed
                   Depends: libdav1d6 (>= 1:1.1.0) but 1.0.0-2 is to be installed
                   Depends: libtwolame0 (>= 1:0.4.0) but 0.4.0-2 is to be installed
                   Depends: libx264-164 (>= 4:0.164.3106+giteaa68fa) but 2:0.164.3095+gitbaee400-3 is to be installed
                   Depends: libx265-199 (>= 1:3.5) but 3.5-2+b1 is to be installed

Thanks
wizard

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@wizard You have two options:
1.apt-mark unhold libaom3, and the same thing for every other package mentioned in this output. This will allow apt to update these packages to the versions in the repo, so it can install the vlc package that depends on these exact versions. woof-CE configures apt so updates are not allowed for preinstalled packages, so people don't lose save file space to package updates or accidentally break the system. The downside is that you must override this to allow apt to install a package with dependencies, when you have them installed already but they're out of date (= allow apt to update them, before it can install the new package).
2. Wait until radky releases a new ISO with all packages updated.

wizard

Bookworm Pup64 10.0 Programs List

Post by wizard »

Attached is the programs installed list for Bookworm Pup64. This list is taken from the programs in the main menu. As usual it gives users, particularly new users and those new to Puppy Linux a viewable, searchable application list including descriptions.

wizard

Attachments
Programs_Installed-BW64.xls
(53.5 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

magicmt

Post by magicmt »

Anyone have HotShots (screenshot program)? I haven't had luck getting it through synaptic or apt-get. I can get it through flatpak via flathub (https://flathub.org/apps/search?q=hotshots) but wondering if there's another way to get this tiny program.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@magicmt

Does it do something that Menu>Graphic>Take a Shot can't do?

wizard

magicmt

Post by magicmt »

When capturing a region, with TAS, you would do 2 clicks. It's very hard to see what you're doing, compared to Hotshots, where you long left click and drag a rectangle which is always visible. Also, I want the selected region to automatically be copied to the clipboard so I can just paste it.

With Hotshots, I just select region and then I'm ready to paste it immediately. I don't think TAS can do that.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Synaptic doesn't offer Hotshots as its not in debian-bookworm's repostiory.

But you may be able to install it by following the instructions on https://www.maketecheasier.com/hotshots ... ool-linux/, Hotshot's own website. I'm pleased to see that it's still offered other than as a flatpak.

Caution:: I think it advisable when trying something not tested and provided by the 'source' distro to first backup your Save. Ask if you need instructions.

After following the instructions provided by Hotshots, if at first it doesn't run, use ListDD to check whether some dependency is missing. Puppys are not the 'source' distro for which applications are created and may lack dependencies that distro builds-in.

magicmt

Post by magicmt »

Thanks. I tried that but ran into errors.

# sudo apt-add-repository ppa:dhor/myway
/bin/lsb_release: line 8: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (C.UTF-8): No such file or directory
/bin/lsb_release: line 8: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (C.UTF-8): No such file or directory
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/bin/apt-add-repository", line 362, in <module>
sys.exit(0 if addaptrepo.main() else 1)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "/bin/apt-add-repository", line 345, in main
shortcut = handler(source, **shortcut_params)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/shortcuts.py", line 40, in shortcut_handler
return handler(shortcut, **kwargs)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/ppa.py", line 86, in __init__
if self.lpppa.publish_debug_symbols:
^^^^^^^^^^
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/ppa.py", line 126, in lpppa
self._lpppa = self.lpteam.getPPAByName(name=self.ppaname)
^^^^^^^^^^^
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/ppa.py", line 113, in lpteam
self._lpteam = self.lp.people(self.teamname)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'people'

Seems like python is missing, ran this apt-get install python3-launchpadlib. Python errors went away.

Added the repo, but then it said

E: The repository 'https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/dhor/myway/ubuntu bookworm Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

Tried this, didn't work -oAcquire::AllowInsecureRepositories=true

Tried adding [trusted=yes] sources.list (located at /etc/apt/sources.list), didn't work:
deb [trusted=yes] https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/dhor/myway/ubuntu/ bookworm main
error:
More info: https://launchpad.net/~dhor/+archive/ubuntu/myway
Adding repository.
Press [ENTER] to continue or Ctrl-c to cancel.
Adding deb entry to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dhor-ubuntu-myway-bookworm.list
Found existing deb-src entry in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dhor-ubuntu-myway-bookworm.list
Adding disabled deb-src entry to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dhor-ubuntu-myway-bookworm.list
Adding key to /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/dhor-ubuntu-myway.gpg with fingerprint B7A8ED84DF6AFA37B620BFB2E2B7D64D93330B78
E: Conflicting values set for option Trusted regarding source https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/dhor/myway/ubuntu/ bookworm
E: The list of sources could not be read.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

PPAs are for Ubuntu, not Debian. Risky.

wizard

BW64-10 on USBhd fails to load save file/folder on reboot

Post by wizard »

hardware=Dell e6430 MBR boot

internal drive=hd
sda1=ntfs, W10
sda2=ext3, puppy bw64-10
grub4dos, legacy
psubdir=/bw64-10

external drive=usb hd
format=ext3, puppy bw64-10
grub4dos, legacy
psubdir=/bw64

Boot from USBhd
Leave>reboot>save
Gives this error, note there are NO save files/folders on either drive

save1.png
save1.png (23.79 KiB) Viewed 3133 times

Click Save, next error, Note that it is listing both sdb2 and sda2

save2.png
save2.png (39.6 KiB) Viewed 3133 times

click: YES, SAVE
On reboot, get these choices , choosing either gives error

choice_error2.jpg
choice_error2.jpg (110.62 KiB) Viewed 3133 times

After 60 second delay it boots without loading the save folder.

Futher test:
Delete Puppy from sda2=no change
Delete sda2 (ext partition) = OK
add sda2 ext4 = error return

Additional test show that this behavior occurs if a Linux ext partition exits on the internal drive, even if it is empty. NTFS or FAT32 partitions are OK.

The same testing using F96ce_4 did not produce any errors.

Thanks
wizard

Feek

Re: BW64-10 on USBhd fails to load save file/folder on reboot

Post by Feek »

wizard wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:43 pm

Just a few thoughts:

It seems that the save on your sdb2 was not created properly. I would look inside this save if there is what was expected to be there.

On reboot there are 2 offers of save:
1. sdb2 sdb2 -> looks weird (it doesn´t list the path and proper name for "bookworm" save)
2. sda2 /bw64/dpupsave -> looks better but if I´m not mistaken your psubdir parameter for sda2 seems to be "psubdir=/bw64-10"

If I would like to have the instalations (and saves) on the internal vs. external drive separated, I would probably use the "psave" boot parameter for each one.
Hopefully someone smarter will figure it out ;)

wizard

Post by wizard »

@Feek

It seems that the save on your sdb2 was not created properly. I would look inside this save if there is what was expected to be there.

The save is OK, if I remove the internal drive (sda) or if I delete the ext partition on sda2, then the save file loads normally.

1. sdb2 sdb2 -> looks weird (it doesn´t list the path and proper name for "bookworm" save)
2. sda2 /bw64/dpupsave -> looks better but if I´m not mistaken your psubdir parameter for sda2 seems to be "psubdir=/bw64-10"

Correct, and that is part of the issue.

would probably use the "psave" boot parameter for each one.

Did try that, no change in behavior.

Thanks for your thoughts
wizard

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

@wizard

Can you provide an image of what Gparted is showing for the partitions on the drives.

Maybe something there is not correct.

What operating systems are installed on the internal drive?

Forum Global Moderator

Return to “BookwormPup”