Racy Resurrector

Moderator: Forum moderators

amethyst

Re: Racy Extra

Post by amethyst »

Made some changes to my personal edition. I call my edition Resurrector.

Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (27.54 KiB) Viewed 307431 times
keniv

Post by keniv »

@amethyst
Well I'm on my fourth try at getting a working savefile. I haven't broken it yet but I have not set it up completely yet particularly in terms of trying to move the lock, zip and trash icons so as they don't interfere with the display of widgets. If this one breaks I think I'll give up.

Regards,

Ken.

keniv

Post by keniv »

@amethyst
Don't know if you are still interested in this stuff but I thought I would have another try to see if I could get palemoon-31.3.0.1 working on racy extra this time using the palemoon-31.3.0.1.pet I used in precise extra. I swapped back to the "new" bdrv booted up and installed the pet. The install was successful and I'm posting from palemoon-31.3.0.1 now. I do not get the "next boot will be faster" message, that I was seeing with the .sfs, each time I reboot but I have lost the icon thumbnails as I did when I previously used the "new" bdrv. So it seems that it is now possible for me to use a .pet version or Mike's portable version. I think on balance I prefer the portable version as I can also use it with some newer 32bit pups. Useful to be able to do both though.

Regards,

Ken.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

keniv wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:22 pm

@amethyst
Don't know if you are still interested in this stuff but I thought I would have another try to see if I could get palemoon-31.3.0.1 working on racy extra this time using the palemoon-31.3.0.1.pet I used in precise extra. I swapped back to the "new" bdrv booted up and installed the pet. The install was successful and I'm posting from palemoon-31.3.0.1 now. I do not get the "next boot will be faster" message, that I was seeing with the .sfs, each time I reboot but I have lost the icon thumbnails as I did when I previously used the "new" bdrv. So it seems that it is now possible for me to use a .pet version or Mike's portable version. I think on balance I prefer the portable version as I can also use it with some newer 32bit pups. Useful to be able to do both though.

Regards,

Ken.

Yes, you will be able to use Palemoon as an extra sfs or install it as a .pet (or you can load it as an extra drive if you want) and it will work as is with the swap in new bdrv. There are a few other file upgrades needed besides the newer glibc to run the latest Palemoon but those I have built into the base sfs so that it works. This is actually how I run it, just as an xtra sfs and it works. The thumbnail issue is because of the system limitation of Racy when it comes to glibc newer than version 2.20. This will remain an issue with this Puppy. BTW - I have removed the older glibc of all my Puppys (from Racy right through to Bionic) and dropped in the bdrv with the newer glibc2.30 for all of them. I use the same Palemoon extra sfs with all of them and they all share the same configuration and Palemoon works. Puppy's newer than Racy do not have the thumbnail issue.
Just another thought with regards to the (next boot will be faster boot message) when you load Palemoon as an extra sfs file. The save file "remembers" which extra sfs files were loaded and then loads those again "automatically" at next boot. Unload the Palemoon sfs before reboot (I assume your session is saved automatically) and see if the message goes away. You can also try to boot the palemoon sfs as an additional drive as mentioned (you will have to rename it as ddrv....like the other additional drives) and see if that makes a difference.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

I've edited the opening post. There were too many options, etc. mentioned which could be confusing. Also an invitation to make an ISO of the distribution, if someone wants to volunteer.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Ready to test.- Lets see how it works with my system.

Thanks for your suggestion.

CHEERS

amethyst

Re: Racy Resurrector

Post by amethyst »

Made an iso for this, see first post.

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

manger to update geany but if i creat a new file and then try to save the file i get this error
if anyone can help me.
thxx in advance

Attachments
Screenshot(1).png
Screenshot(1).png (30.64 KiB) Viewed 285661 times
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (17.66 KiB) Viewed 285661 times

Why astronauts use Linux
Because you can't open windows in space

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

AntonioPt wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:04 pm

manger to update geany but if i creat a new file and then try to save the file i get this error
if anyone can help me.
thxx in advance

Did Geany work correctly before you "updated"? There is no more support for this old Puppy. Trying to update the older versions of the applications is bound to lead to problems. It is what it is, my suggestion is not to tinker with the builtin applications. Try - Under the the Edit tab in Geany you can go to Preferences and check which is set as the default character set for newly saved files. Change to either Western ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8 from whatever it is now.

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

Just fix the issue edit geany.conf file and add all to utf-8

And as far i can tell its works 100%

amethyst wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:21 am
AntonioPt wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:04 pm

if anyone can help me.
thxx in advance

Did Geany work correctly before you "updated"? There is no more support for this old Puppy. Trying to update the older versions of the applications is bound to lead to problems. It is what it is, my suggestion is not to tinker with the builtin applications. Try - Under the the Edit tab in Geany you can go to Preferences and check which is set as the default character set for newly saved files. Change to either Western ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8 from whatever it is now.

Why astronauts use Linux

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

I all so update alot of the scripts,... Still playing and update this puppy via old machine. Hope soon to Share it my beta version even tho it Will be for teste,...

Why astronauts use Linux

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Here is a dedicated site for Racy in general: https://racypup.netlify.app/index.html

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

I know about it and have updated from there and all so from my skills but thxx anyway

amethyst wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:29 am

Here is a dedicated site for Racy in general: https://racypup.netlify.app/index.html

Why astronauts use Linux

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

The idea for Racy Resurrector was to do major changes that was not there before, like rewriting the initrd to make provision for addiditional drives (the original Racy did not support the implementation of additional drives like adrv, ydrv, etc for instance. Of course the previously built-in old kernel was removed and also the old glibc (in order to run newer applications like a new browser). In general it now has a "Modular" look to it, where things like glibc can be upgraded easilly. Some additional scripts for small, new applications have been added. The focus was not to update or try to upgrade the builtin applications (which would result in extra libraries and a MUCH bigger Puppy anyway). My view is, if you want that, try a newer Puppy. Any user can of course explore and expand as he wish but that was not my intention releasing Racy Resurrector.

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@ amethyst

I am 'having a go' with RR -

It is interesting -

I have a problem with not being able to see on the desktop 'tray-2' -

Any advice welcome -

Tray2.png
Tray2.png (215.49 KiB) Viewed 218635 times

Best regards

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)
Frugal Install - Internal HDD - Gateway MX8716b - HDD 120GB - RAM 2GB

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@Chelsea80
Don't know, I haven't experienced that. Did it work the first time you booted (before making any changes)/Restart X doesn't make a difference? Try the other option (Disable auto hide). Look if .jwmrc-tray2 is in /root and check its contents.

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@ amethyst

Thanks for your response -

Did not work first time booted (before making any changes) -

Restart X doesn't make any difference -

Tried Disable auto hide, still not to view -

Followed your lead to .jwmrc-tray2 -

I don't know if the screen shots help or not, I am a user not a coder or techy

jwmrc-tray2.png
jwmrc-tray2.png (246.01 KiB) Viewed 218580 times
jwmrc-tray2-bak.png
jwmrc-tray2-bak.png (264.41 KiB) Viewed 218580 times

Best regards

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@Chelsea80
Let's try to set it up again: Delete .jwmrc-tray2 and .jwmrc-tray2-bak from /root > Restart JWM from menu > open JWMDeskManager from menu > click the Options tab > Launch bar should be checked > Select 18 in Preset Buttons and Apply directly under. Some updating should happen and the launch bar should appear after a while. Restart JWM if you can't see it.

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@ amethyst

Again, thanks for your response -

Followed your 'user guide' lead and hey presto :thumbup2: -

Hurrah.png
Hurrah.png (86.36 KiB) Viewed 218499 times

All is well again -

Best regards

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Chelsea80 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:54 am

@ amethyst

Again, thanks for your response -

Followed your 'user guide' lead and hey presto :thumbup2: -

Hurrah.png

All is well again -

Best regards

Chelsea80

Excellent. :D

AntonioPt

Post by AntonioPt »

@amethyst thxx for all as soon as i can i will share my beta just for you guys can see and i will try to make a note of all changes i have made all so
Till then let make puppy better,....
Best regards to all for the good work,....

Why astronauts use Linux

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@ amethyst

Excuse me for bothering you again -

I am having trouble loading firefox.sfs (my preferred browser) -

I click on firefox.sfs and go through the 'Do you want to' etc. -

Then I end up with the SFS-Load box and am stumped, see screen shot -

I click on Cancel to back off -

Once again your advice please -

I have made connection for both wired and wireless with Network Connection Wizard (Simple Network Setup) -

Firefox.png
Firefox.png (333.95 KiB) Viewed 196226 times

Best regards

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Chelsea80 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:41 pm

@ amethyst

Excuse me for bothering you again -

I am having trouble loading firefox.sfs (my preferred browser) -

I click on firefox.sfs and go through the 'Do you want to' etc. -

Then I end up with the SFS-Load box and am stumped, see screen shot -

I click on Cancel to back off -

Once again your advice please -

I have made connection for both wired and wireless with Network Connection Wizard (Simple Network Setup) -

Firefox.png

Best regards

Chelsea80

Click okay in the sfs_load box and restart X BUT here is the bad news: One of the restrictions of these old Puppys is that you are severely limited with regards to any new browser you can run. In this case you are basically restricted to Palemoon for the newest, up to date browser and the best (and quite frankly the easiest and generally only option without issues) is to use mikewalsh's portable Palemoon which has the upgraded stuff needed for the browser already included. You will have problems getting any other new browsers going, in fact I'll bet that you won't get it running because of all the upgrades needed to the system (and even then it will be a struggle to get it going). Just use Palemoon for this Puppy.

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@ amethyst

Thank you very much for your help -

Did a search on Puppy Forum -

Latest version I found (Mike Walsh Portable) of PaleMoon was:

PaleMoon_glibc228_fat32-portable.tar.xz -

Thank you @ Mike Walsh

Posting from it now :thumbup2: -

I must admit I was rather hesitant to get in touch with you as so much 'in depth' posts are discussed here, although I do read them and try to understand -

So my problems must have seemed rather trivial in comparison -

The upside is that when a problem is solved for me by willing forum members, I have learnt that little bit more -

Best regards

Chelsea80

PaleMoon.png
PaleMoon.png (192.34 KiB) Viewed 196162 times

Chelsea80

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Chelsea80 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:34 am

@ amethyst

Thank you very much for your help -

Did a search on Puppy Forum -

Latest version I found (Mike Walsh Portable) of PaleMoon was:

PaleMoon_glibc228_fat32-portable.tar.xz -

Thank you @ Mike Walsh

Posting from it now :thumbup2: -

I must admit I was rather hesitant to get in touch with you as so much 'in depth' posts are discussed here, although I do read them and try to understand -

So my problems must have seemed rather trivial in comparison -

The upside is that when a problem is solved for me by willing forum members, I have learnt that little bit more -

Best regards

Chelsea80

PaleMoon.png

Don't be hesitant at all, we all learn from each other on the forum.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@rockedge
Is this a forum bug? - check my first post and the view count for the desktop image posted. Never thought it would be that popular. :P

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@amethyst No bug. The counts are correct.......some other of the images for distro releases also show large viewing numbers. Which makes sense since the count includes page impressions done by search engine bots......... A good sign really and verified by the golden trophy this forum receives every month from Google for showing growth in page requests and searches for the forum and it's contents.

I get an email from Google once a month and we have analytics going so every little detail is recorded in page requests, page generation, bounce rates and much more. Puppy Linux rules in it's realm. Pretty much anything attached to puppylinux.com will go to the top of Google search results.

Yes Racy Resurrected seems popular for humans, AI and search engine Bots. :thumbup2:

For an experiment try in a Google search query just "Racy Resurrector" and then just "F96-CE" and see what happens........

Return to “Re-masters”