Proton Mail

Moderator: Forum moderators

8Geee

Proton Mail

Post by 8Geee »

Using proton after the php roundcube went bad, lost about 40Mb mail over the years, and of course it was attatched to my website. No renewal there, ehh. One can set proton up for secure transit if desired. Thought this was noted here, but maybe quite a while ago, so forgive the bump.

regards
8Geee

Money talks... no, it shouts, so that it doesn't have to hear common sense.

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Proton Mail

Post by rockedge »

8Geee wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:46 pm

after the php roundcube went bad

Can you tell me more? Our host provider for the forum and the other one hosting rockedge.org both removed Horde Mail and retained Roundcube. So it is available.......what's the word on the streets? 8-)

8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

roundcube has evidently deprocated all versions of php before version 7.3. Slacko7.0 is using either 5.5 or 5.6. My e-mail went dead. Proton retrieved last 90 days, but there is about 3yrs worth remaining. Shame, as I have been using roundcube for about 5 yrs. Due to this SNAFU I will have to cancel my domain (expire) and cease all billing. Then find a new host. Fortuneately, the control panel is accessible. As such I must warn folks here to be VERY careful with domin/web hosting... the e-mail roundcube or squirrelmail may very well not allow access due to php fail.

BTW: the new Opi can't access the mail either... must be using an old php version. (writing this using Opi)

regards
8Geee

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

you were running your own instance of roundecube at a web hosting co?
maybe using the free email with the account?
gandi recently told me they would not offer free email any more so I went else where.
mxroute

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@8Geee :-

Y'know, I've said the same thing to several folks over the years.....mostly those who insist on using POP3. I freely admit, it makes no sense to me; where IS the point of hanging onto mail from 20-25 years ago?

Anything I deem critical under IMAP, I save a copy for future reference. Works for me.

Mike. :?

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

IMHO storing the mail on server is because the extension is not a "universal" txt, csv, htm. Its unique to e-mail. Copy/Paste only goes so far.

williwaw: using the as supplied roundcube. Tried loading squirrel-mail NG there too. TBH there is a chance that this is the host. But I ask all to tread carefully. There was no warning.

Does anyone remember .ibx .obx etc?

8Geee

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Most commercial email is detris and barely worth reading first time, but bills, receipts and such can be useful. Especially as many companies anymore resist mightily doing anything by snail mail through post office. I have found it useful to save email for 3 years, assuming I have a way to search it for keywords. POP3 is best way to do this automagically without daily manually deleting the cruft and cherry picking mail to save (yet another annoying chore). Trusting any commercial email service to truly save or truly fully delete anything is iffy. If its on YOUR computer then you are only at mercy of the longevity of your storage system and Murphy's Law of course. Honestly IMAP never made any sense to me. If you dont want to store any email on your computer, why not just use the online portal for your email service? Biggest benefit of POP3 is that it works even on very marginal computer cause it bypasses all the bells/whistles/eyecandy and ADS the website portals tend to insist on. You just get email. And you can set it to only get text if you so desire and limit the size of the download too. This is great if you have people you like but dont like them chainmailing bunch weird conspiracy theory stuff or bunch political/religious stuff.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

I view and sort my mail on hosted roundcube, then occasionally download keepers to a seamonkey portable.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Both host providers I use have several versions of PHP available. So I run both with 7.4 and on a local machine web server, testing out on PHP 8+. The Roundcube instances run through the host cPanel.

Is there a way to run a local machine web server with 7.4+ running receive (export) the caches or any incoming files with roundcube going under php7.4 (even 7.3 probably) and rescue whats still on the current host?

Return to “Browsers and Internet”