radky

Re: Bookworm Pup64 RC

Post by radky »

Gnimmelf wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:58 am
bigpup wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:16 pm

Need more details.

Save is what type, file or folder?

If file, what size did you make it?

Save is stored on a partition formatted what format?

I assume you are choosing the same boot menu entry, each time you boot?

Are you adding any software to Bookworm?

If using a save file, it for sure has the free space to store the added software?

/mnt/sda1/BookwormPup64/dpupsave66.tar.gz it creates a pupsave on it self - doesnt ask for name on savefile like F96-ce and others.

i can see it loads on bootup - but the iso starts from scrach again, like there is "nothing" in the save file?

kindly Gnimmelf

@Gnimmelf

If I understand correctly, gyrog's FrugalPup installer provides USB options that will automatically create and save to a generic tar.gz archive file (such your dpupsave66.tar.gz).

For example: using the 'StickPup' feature of FrugalPup to install Puppy Linux to USB flash media as follows:

1 - Proceed to first-shutdown with only 1 question, "Save" or "NoSave" (No additional shutdown dialog options)
2 - On shutdown, save the RW directory in RAM to an archive file, in this instance a "tar.gz" file
3 - On boot, populate the RW directory in RAM from the "tar.gz" archive file
4 - Subsequently, autosave (automatic persistence) via pupmode=66

Maybe @gyrog or one of our FrugalPup experts will address your query.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

First is what radky posted what you did?

Are you using the latest version of the Frugalpup Installer?
viewtopic.php?t=337

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

radky

Post by radky »

Re: failed FrugalPup/StickPup savefile (failed Pupmode 66 with overlay)

The next Woof-CE build of BW64 will include dimkr's fix for this issue.

---

Re: password rejection with LUKS savefiles (cryptsetup failure in dpup initrd)

The next Woof-CE build of BW64 will include dimkr's fix for this issue.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Gnimmelf wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:58 am

/mnt/sda1/BookwormPup64/dpupsave66.tar.gz it creates a pupsave on it self - doesnt ask for name on savefile like F96-ce and others.

That makes no sense. A Save can only be a SaveFile or a SaveFolder. I don't know if using overlays you can create a SaveFile. But if it can be done, a SaveFile is a block on Storage which has been formatted to a Linux file structure. It is NOT compressed. It will bear the designation ending in "fs", e.g. sfs, 2fs. A SaveFolder can only be used on a Linux Formatted partition because all it is is a folder bearing a specific designation -- save, e.g. dpup-save(optional user provided addition, e.g. dpup-save-june14). It also is NOT compressed.

I've only used Save-Folders under Bookworm. Within the SaveFolder is another folder named 'Upper'. I think since I use 'the equivalent of PupMode13', within the SaveFolder is another folder named 'work'. At any rate, none of the foregoing are compressed.

A tar.gz is a READ-ONLY compressed file. You seem to be trying to write to it in order to preserve changes. I haven't used frugalpup is quite some time. Even then, the source it used to deploy a Puppy was an ISO. frugalpup reads the contents of the ISO into RAM, then copied them from RAM onto the Storage medium. IIRC, frugalpup could also use a folder containing a previously deployed Puppys system files to copy those files to a different location. And frugalpup --which deploys grub2 to the boot-partition-- may be able to read and immediately put to use the contents of an ISO since grub2 can. Perhaps, grub2 --and thus frugalpup-- can also do that with tar.gz packages. However, unless and until a SaveFile/Folder is created, the contents of RAM --which holds the changes you make-- can't be preserved.

In creating frugalpup, gyrog worked on what was necessary to deploy files from one media to another, and create a boot-manager that enable Puppys to be booted by computer using the UEFI mechanism. There was no reason for gyrog to modifiy Puppys, themselves; and Puppys, themselves, can not directly write to READ-ONLY file-systems.

Bookwormpup64 is packaged as an ISO. It's contents do not include a tar.gz. Where did the tar.gz come from? If it was created by frugalpup, then frugalpup is doing something wrong; or --for some reason-- is offering an option to deploy Puppys in such a way that changes can't be preserved. If it's an option, don't choose it.

radky

Post by radky »

@mikeslr

During the development of FrugalPup utilities (e.g StickPup), @gyrog added support for pupmode=66 when SAVEFS=vfat, which allows StickPup to create a tar savefile (e.g. tar.gz) on vfat USB media.

If I understand correctly, gyrog's implementation of pupmode=66 supports a single 'Save/No Save' dialog on first shutdown (no additional dialog options), followed by automatic creation of a compressed tar savefile (such as dpupsave66.tar.gz). On subsequent booting, the savefile (tar archive) is parsed and the RW directory is copied to RAM. Thereafter, autosave (automatic persistence) is provided via pupmode=66.

Maybe @gyrog will provide additional guidelines for proper use of Pupmode 66.

---

Currently, pupmode=66 fails with overlay but this should be fixed in the next Woof-CE build of BW64.

Last edited by radky on Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Ah, well. :oops: Just when I think I know everything. :shock:

I seem to have missed gyrog's post in the Puppy Project > Cutting Edge Section, viewtopic.php?p=21872#p21872. gyrog is one of those people whose creativity is often amazing. On the other hand, you'll never get me up in a helicopter. I am certain that things without wings can't fly. :lol:

radky

Post by radky »

@mikeslr wrote:

I seem to have missed gyrog's post in the Puppy Project > Cutting Edge Section, viewtopic.php?p=21872#p21872. gyrog is one of those people whose creativity is often amazing.

That's OK Mike. Puppy development is fast-moving and new features are easily missed when first posted.

Gnimmelf

Post by Gnimmelf »

bigpup wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:52 pm

First is what radky posted what you did?

Are you using the latest version of the Frugalpup Installer?
https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=337

Yes thats what i did - using the stickpupinstaller in F96-ce

kindly Gnimm

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

Hello.

I have noticed the following two things so far.

I am afraid that the script conky-gtk lacks the two lines which enable the localization/internationalization.
export TEXTDOMAIN=conky-gtk
export OUTPUT_CHARSET=UTF-8

I suggest that wcpufreq should be included like other puppies.

radky

Post by radky »

thinkpadfreak wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:27 am

I suggest that wcpufreq should be included like other puppies.

@thinkpadfreak

The CPU Frequency Scaling Tool (wcpufreq) is a legacy Puppy application (released in 2010). It is now broken for some central processors. For example, Intel resources may no longer provide required cpu frequency data, in which case the frequency comboboxes of wcpufreq are empty.

Since BW64 is provided as a cutting-edge distro, including a potentially broken legacy application may be confusing for users with modern central processors. That said, comments from the Puppy community are welcome concerning the potential value of wcpufreq in BW64.

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

radky wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:29 pm

The CPU Frequency Scaling Tool (wcpufreq) is a legacy Puppy application (released in 2010). It is now broken for some central processors. For example, Intel resources may no longer provide required cpu frequency data, in which case the frequency comboboxes of wcpufreq are empty.

I see.
One of my machines has Celeron 2950M. When I type "ondemand" in the combobox, the program goes on, and the CPU frequency seems to change dynamically as in older puppies. (I add "intel_pstate=disable" to the kernel line.)

Anyway I don't mind adding wcpufreq through the PPM.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@radky

comments from the Puppy community are welcome concerning the potential value of wcpufreq in BW64.

From my own experience, when setting up many legacy laptops, wcpufreq is the difference between having a system that overheats or one that performs well. I would vote to keep it in BW64.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

wizard wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:21 pm

@radky

comments from the Puppy community are welcome concerning the potential value of wcpufreq in BW64.

From my own experience, when setting up many legacy laptops, wcpufreq is the difference between having a system that overheats or one that performs well. I would vote to keep it in BW64.

wizard

I don't have wizard's technical training and experience. From the time I was old enough to help out in my parent's store thru two years after college working for major corporations my training and experience was in 'marketing'. For thirty years as a Bankruptcy attorney a significant part of my practice required that I understand why a business failed and what action could be taken to re-organize it.

Who is Bookworm Pup64's 'target user'? If I have a computer with sufficient resources to run and take advantage of all that debian bookworm, itself, has to offer OOTB, why would try an operating system that requires more effort? IMHO, the 'target user' of Bookworm Pup64 --of any Puppy-- is someone with a 'legacy' computer hoping to avoid the expense replacing it.

Those, and 'us' old-timers whose emotional attachment to Puppy Linux clouds our judgment.

wizard

Bookworm Pup64 RC working on modified Chromebooks

Post by wizard »

Tested on two modified Chromebooks:

1. Acer CB3-431 (Braswell/Edgar) from about 2016
2. Thinkpad 11e (Baytrail/Glimmer) from about 2014

Both working OOTB:
-video=ok
-audio=ok
-touchpad=ok
-microphone=ok
-camera=ok
-headphone jack mutes speaker=ok
-bluetooth=ok

This is good news for anyone who already has one of these, or is thinking about converting one of these into a cheap Puppy laptop.

I hope those who already have other modified Chromebooks will test them and report the results.

Thanks
wizard

Last edited by wizard on Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Bookworm Pup64 needs a 32bit compatibility SFS

So people can run 32bit software, they may still use, on it.

See the issue here:
https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=9151

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

radky

Re: Bookworm Pup64 10.0

Post by radky »

Bookworm Pup64 10.0

See first post for downloads and second post for list of notable changes.

Please use the checksums to confirm the integrity of each download.

Last edited by radky on Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
wizard

Post by wizard »

When configuring 10, the Startup Manager no longer lets you remove the Clipit app from the JWM tray. Is there a another way?

Thanks
wizard

radky

Post by radky »

wizard wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:42 am

When configuring 10, the Startup Manager no longer lets you remove the Clipit app from the JWM tray. Is there a another way?

@wizard

The default BW64 clipboard manager is Parcellite rather than Clipit.

With each boot, Parcellite autostarts via /etc/xdg/autostart/parcellite-startup.desktop

When the command line is "Exec=parcellite" the application icon automatically swallows to the notification area of the JWM tray.

However, if you prefer the application starts without the tray icon, you can edit the command line as follows:

Exec=parcellite --no-icon

or simply

Exec=parcellite -n

In this scenario, the tray icon is no longer available, but you can access parcellite functions via hotkeys, for example:

Show the parcellite popup menu: Ctrl-Alt-P
Show the clipboard history: Ctrl-Alt-H

peebee

Post by peebee »

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... s/download

Screenshot-lxde.png
Screenshot-lxde.png (242.08 KiB) Viewed 6233 times

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

wizard

XFE not running bash shell scripts

Post by wizard »

BW64 has XFE file manager v1.45 with Edit>Preferences>Dialogs>Confirm execute text files enabled. This results in frequent spinning cursors delays. Unchecking this setting stops the delays, but in this version it also disables XFE's ability to run script files. This was not the case in prior versions. I down revved XFE to v1.43.2 and it fixed the issue.

Thanks
wizard

Last edited by wizard on Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gnimmelf

Post by Gnimmelf »

Currently, pupmode=66 fails with overlay but this should be fixed in the next Woof-CE build of BW64.

Works like a charm now - thanks whoever fixed it :thumbup:

everything works fine now! BW is a litle heavy on the ram about +160 on my lenovo gaming 3 compared to F96-CE - but runs smooth :thumbup:

Kindly Gnimmelf

Last edited by bigpup on Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected quote command
wizard

VLC casting not working in Bookworm Pup64 10.0

Post by wizard »

@OscarTalks

Installed VLC 3.0.18 from the repo and is working except for the casting function (as usual). Scanning is greyed out and never finds anything, if you get a chance, please take a look and see if it's fixable.

Thanks
wizard

vlc-cast.png
vlc-cast.png (48.01 KiB) Viewed 5667 times

wizard

Install local .deb file error, Bookworm Pup64 10.0

Post by wizard »

If you try to install a .deb file that you have downloaded to your local machine you may get this type of an error:

deb-error.png
deb-error.png (43.49 KiB) Viewed 5649 times

Try this to correct it:
Menu>Setup>Package manager (Synaptic)
-click: Reload
-close Synaptic

Try installing again.

wizard

OscarTalks

Re: VLC casting not working in Bookworm Pup64 10.0

Post by OscarTalks »

wizard wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:10 pm

Installed VLC 3.0.18 from the repo and is working except for the casting function (as usual). Scanning is greyed out and never finds anything, if you get a chance, please take a look and see if it's fixable.

I know I experimented with building a VLC with casting working in DpupStretch, but in later builds in other Puppies I mostly just compiled against the libraries that were already in the Puppy. I did add a couple of libs in some cases, but never the ones needed for casting. I have not yet compiled any VLC in Bookworm Pup and don't know yet if I will be attempting that or not, but will bear the issue in mind if I do. With VLC built in other Puppies there may be other things such as ffmpeg codecs that don't work in Bookworm, but not sure about that. If casting is needed it might be worth trying to see if a Debian version via PPM will do the job.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@OscarTalks

If casting is needed it might be worth trying to see if a Debian version via PPM will do the job.

The version 3.0.18 I tried was installed using Synaptics package manager from the Debian repo, so no go for casting with it.

Thanks
wizard

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Casting needs mDNS to function, and Puppy doesn't support mDNS out-of-the-box.

You might need to install libnss-mdns, install avahi-daemon and add mdns4_minimal in /etc/nsswitch.conf, before dns.

linuxunix

Post by linuxunix »

Previously, when using other Puppy Linux, it was just a matter of compiling the kernel source code and. config directly. However, when using it, it always pops up a reset and keeps asking questions without automatically compiling. What is the reason for this? How to modify it?

I don't know how to configure the kernel, I just want to compile it directly using. config. However, after using it, it seems that it won't use other. config kernel files. If it does, it still keeps asking questions. How can it use. config to automatically compile the kernel instead of repeatedly asking me questions to reset? Where was it configured?

wizard

Apulse volume control changes itself in Firefox

Post by wizard »

Stream a video in Firefox and use Menu>Multimedia>PulseAudio Volume Control to increase the volume in Firefox. If you pause and then restart the video, the volume setting returns itself to 100%. How do you lock the control setting?

Thanks
wizard

wizard

Post by wizard »

@dimkr

Installed VLC 3.018, libnss-mdns and avahi-daemon. Added "mdns4_minimal" to /etc/nsswitch.conf, before dns.
Here's the content of nsswitch.conf, the first line existed when I opened it and I added "mdns4_minimal" to the second line, saved and rebooted.
No change, VLC's Renderer casting is still greyed out.
Thanks
wizard

Code: Select all

hosts:      files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
networks:   files mdns4_minimal dns
passwd:     files
group:      files
bootparams: files
ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
protocols:  files
rpc:        files
services:   files
netgroup:   files
automount:  files
aliases:    files
sudoers:    files

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

wizard wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:01 am

The version 3.0.18 I tried was installed using Synaptics package manager from the Debian repo, so no go for casting with it.

OK, thanks for the clarification. All I can tell you is that VLC functionality mostly comes from plugins so casting would need all the libraries plus all the relevant plugins would need to be on-board. When building from source you get all the plugins built (in response to the libraries being detected in system). With the Debian builds they have the habit of splitting things off into packages with different names so you might need to investigate if there is a package such as vlc-plugin-base or vlc-plugin-something which contains the casting plugins and will install any missing dependency libs via the package manager

Return to “BookwormPup”