Spotify adventures, a real challenge?

Moderator: Forum moderators

fredx181

Spotify adventures, a real challenge?

Post by fredx181 »

Initially posted here as a reply: viewtopic.php?p=92884#p92884
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Spotify .deb repository is here:
http://repository.spotify.com/pool/non- ... fy-client/
Cannot work on Xenial (as earlier asked about), the GLIBC version of Xenial is too old for the latest Spotify versions (1.2....)
The 1.1.... version may work on Xenial (not sure) but it's restricted to Premium users (cannot login for Spotify Free).

On Vanilla Dpup the 1.2 versions work for me, but (nowadays) first time Spotify login can only be done through the browser (directed to special login web-page), which often doesn't work (not on Vanilla Dpup anyway).
There are commandline options to login though, i.e. --username=<yourusername> and --password=<yourpassword>
EDIT: On Debian dog Bullseye and Bookworm, the 1.2 versions work fine for me (the 1.2.8.... version (see below) works on Buster).
May work too on BookwormPup, didn't test.
edit: tested now on BookwormPup, after a few tries logging in and answered "yes" to make firefox the default browser, login worked well and running Spotify OK
(but I needed to run with spotify --no-zygote ).

All together, I'd say, many obstacles for the Linux version, anyway older version .deb packages that were offered earlier won't work anymore because of some major changes at the Spotify end.

P.S. On Fossapup, I tried the 1.2 versions from the repo, but spotify won't start (although no dependencies missing AFAIK), but I have a slightly older .deb package that works on Fossapup, I'd be happy to share, but not sure if I can do that, may be not legal.
EDIT: On second thought, here it is, the .deb package that works for me on FossaPup, not long ago it was in the spotify repo, version 1.2.8.923 : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/jlu ... 4.deb?dl=1
When logging in it redirects to a login webpage, but... Palemoon cannot handle it, so what I did was installing Firefox and made it the default browser (in default applications chooser), then it worked.

Also, another obstacle can be that it doesn't start, with error message about gpu (when I ran from terminal), then try running spotify from terminal as this: spotify --no-zygote

EDIT: About logging in: I don't know how things work when logging in "with Facebook" or "with Google" as I don't use that.

number77

Re: Spotify adventures, a real challenge?

Post by number77 »

fredx181 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:14 pm

Initially posted here as a reply: viewtopic.php?p=92884#p92884
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Spotify .deb repository is here:
http://repository.spotify.com/pool/non- ... fy-client/
Cannot work on Xenial (as earlier asked about), the GLIBC version of Xenial is too old for the latest Spotify versions (1.2....)
The 1.1.... version may work on Xenial (not sure) but it's restricted to Premium users (cannot login for Spotify Free).

On Vanilla Dpup the 1.2 versions work for me, but (nowadays) first time Spotify login can only be done through the browser (directed to special login web-page), which often doesn't work (not on Vanilla Dpup anyway).
There are commandline options to login though, i.e. --username=<yourusername> and --password=<yourpassword>
EDIT: On Debian dog Bullseye and Bookworm, the 1.2 versions work fine for me (the 1.2.8.... version (see below) works on Buster).
May work too on BookwormPup, didn't test.
edit: tested now on BookwormPup, after a few tries logging in and answered "yes" to make firefox the default browser, login worked well and running Spotify OK
(but I needed to run with spotify --no-zygote ).

All together, I'd say, many obstacles for the Linux version, anyway older version .deb packages that were offered earlier won't work anymore because of some major changes at the Spotify end.

P.S. On Fossapup, I tried the 1.2 versions from the repo, but spotify won't start (although no dependencies missing AFAIK), but I have a slightly older .deb package that works on Fossapup, I'd be happy to share, but not sure if I can do that, may be not legal.
EDIT: On second thought, here it is, the .deb package that works for me on FossaPup, not long ago it was in the spotify repo, version 1.2.8.923 : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/jlu ... 4.deb?dl=1
When logging in it redirects to a login webpage, but... Palemoon cannot handle it, so what I did was installing Firefox and made it the default browser (in default applications chooser), then it worked.

Also, another obstacle can be that it doesn't start, with error message about gpu (when I ran from terminal), then try running spotify from terminal as this: spotify --no-zygote

EDIT: About logging in: I don't know how things work when logging in "with Facebook" or "with Google" as I don't use that.

Thanks Fedx 181 that gives me loads of information.
I obviously will need to change Puppy version, although I have been thinking I will have to recently anyway. I will give Fossapup a go with your .deb package and Firefox instead of Palmoon.
Does this look a good way to go or can you recommend a better way as I do need a more modern Puppy.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

number77 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:41 pm

I obviously will need to change Puppy version, although I have been thinking I will have to recently anyway. I will give Fossapup a go with your .deb package and Firefox instead of Palmoon.

Yes, or try BookwormPup64 with the latest Spotify version.
The logging in through the browser may not work the first time, just try a few times if it doesn't (works only with the "real" default browser).
Curious how it goes for you, keep us posted.

number77

Post by number77 »

fredx181 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:54 pm
number77 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:41 pm

Yes, or try BookwormPup64 with the latest Spotify version.
The logging in through the browser may not work the first time, just try a few times if it doesn't.
Curious how it goes for you, keep us posted.

Nice one fredx181
Your .deb file on Fossapup64 and Firefox and Spotify worked first time. Thanks.
Have you a link to BookwormPup64. I got so many choices I gave up as my knowledge is small. I am not used to Fossapup so anything newer than Xenial64 I will try.
Thanks again. Great help.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

number77 wrote:

Have you a link to BookwormPup64

It's in the "Mainline Puppy Linux" : viewtopic.php?t=8690

number77

Post by number77 »

fredx181 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:53 pm
number77 wrote:

Have you a link to BookwormPup64

It's in the "Mainline Puppy Linux" : viewtopic.php?t=8690

Thanks.missed it.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Didn't explore much in the past the web version of Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/ , now did.
Must say that for "Free" users it's more friendly than the "Spotify program" IMO.
No "graphical ads display" and the audio ads come not as frequently (and are shorter) than with the program version.
Good thing also is that it doesn't need to be installed, accessible through the browser, but needs to be a modern browser that is capable to stream DRM protected content.

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

Just use Spotube, alternative Spotify client. It works on free version of Spotify account. Install it using flatpak

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

mistfire wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:06 pm

Just use Spotube, alternative Spotify client. It works on free version of Spotify account. Install it using flatpak

Thanks anyway for the info, tried it but I don't think Spotube is a good alternative (although it's nice of course that it's without ads).
To begin with, I tried on Debian Buster, but didn't work (ok, probably Buster is too old).
Then tried on Debian Bookworm (flatpak install, the Appimage and .deb from here: https://github.com/KRTirtho/spotube/releases/tag/v3.0.0 didn't work).
Ok, running, but ugh... very difficult to login, I could finally, but it's a hassle (newcomers may give up soon).
Then for a moment I thought that I like it, but after some testing found that it's very buggy, e.g. track titles playing that are not what it is exactly (e.g. from another album :o ) or double clicking an item doesn't play or suddenly the quality is very bad, messy.
Also it doesn't work with plain Alsa (needs pulseaudio, but that's not a real problem of course).

All together, I would not recommend it, I like the initiative, but it's obviously in alpha stage.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Tested the Spotify web player now on the Brave Browser .... (with free Spotify account) No audio ads ! They are simply skipped. :thumbup: :D
edit: to try the portable Brave-Browser from @mikewalsh see here: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 662#p59662

Return to “Utility”