Moderator: BarryK

Federico

Re: How about KDE Dolphin and Okular?

Post by Federico »

butiliero wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:57 pm

@Federico you may want to check out this

https://bkhome.org/news/202307/package- ... n-oe.html

It may solve the partitions issue

I feel honored for getting so much attention. Thank you Barry!
Mine was just a question, an idea, even though I see that also a lot of other people are interested in this.

When I managed to add Okular and Dolphin to Easy 3 years ago through Debian debs, the context Menu did not work at first - was empty -. And I was explicitly asked to let it fully work... otherwise another solution / operating system / file manager program would have been looked for. So I installed some further packages which were still missing and it all started magically to work.
I didn't do that for myself, but for my family, for sure. But since then, I also started using it personally because EasyOS + Dolphin + Okular is such a comfortable combination... it looks like the perfect solution to me. It really looks like the most powerful Linux system ever. It integrates itself incredibly well within the system.

But unfortunately, nothing less than perfection is needed here: Dolphin should work perfectly, providing full and rich context menus (like the Windows Explorer does) and being able to manage file associations.

Screenshot(15).png
Screenshot(15).png (90.84 KiB) Viewed 204 times

Otherwise, it would not be worth it, 'cause it would not be that much more comfortable than PcmanFM-QT.

That's why I started thinking about a KDE variant of Easy. When you say that the KDE is heavy, I do agree with you, since it is for sure not the most lightweight window manager, when considered as a whole. But it should be admitted that Dolphin is the most powerful file manager in the GNU / Linux scope.

I'll look if I manage to fix the partitions access issue but, as explained, that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Desktop PC
Case: Sharkoon S25-W MB: Asus Rog Strix B550-A PSU: XFX Pro 750W CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X @ 4.6 GHz RAM: Corsair 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz Heatsink: Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B VGA: Asus Tuf RTX 3080 12 GB OC

Laptop PC: Asus Zenbook UX325E

Return to “EasyOS”