OperaSetup.exe in wine (Debiandog 32 bit)

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

ljlj

OperaSetup.exe in wine (Debiandog 32 bit)

Post by ljlj »

it is opera mini 2.9mb
on debiandog 32 bit
how to run in wine?
thanks

Last edited by bigpup on Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added specific operating system to the subject
mikeslr

Re: OperaSetup.exe in wine

Post by mikeslr »

ljlj wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:18 am

it is opera mini 2.9mb
on debiandog 32 bit
how to run in wine?
thanks

Don't. Instead use amethyst's SFS (linked from following) applying his instructions from here, viewtopic.php?p=15438#p15438

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

I'll second t'other Mike. Very few browsers, built for Windows, will run at all under WINE.

The only ones I've ever found that will do so are a couple of 'zilla-based browsers; a recent build of FirefoxESR, in 'portable' format, and K-Meleon. The latter is very much an 'acquired' taste.

Most Windows browser builds will crash during the install phase, and won't even get as far as being functional. Amethyst's emulated Opera-Mini build is about as good as you'll get it, I'm afraid.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I did not perform the tests T'other Mike did. I just have an aversion to running any web-browser via Wine.
The web is 'the mother of all malware'. Windows, being the operating system having an 80+/- share of the personal computing market is the 'rich-target' chosen by most miscreants. If you check WineHQ, no version of Wine provides any security against malware. WineHQ says, flat-out, that's the responsibility of Linux distros. Puppys provide none.

Wine is a particularly intrusive system; even Mikewalsh's wine-portable. Although wine-portable localizes within the portable folder the files needed by Wine, itself, it does not prevent applications running under Wine from accessing anything the User of that application can access. And Puppys run as 'Root': the User can access every file and folder connected to the computer.

The tests I did perform revealed that the only ways to prevent applications running under Wine from accessing everything is (a) to run Wine in a 'Chroot': that is, run an entirely different operating system whose only connection to your Main OS is the commands necessary to run the Chrooted OS and its application including, for example, Wine installed into that other operating system; or (b) run EasyOS with Wine --and every program to be run under Wine-- in a containerized operating system.

Return to “DebianDogs”