How to deal with missing packages/libraries while installing packages via PPM?

Moderators: peebee, Forum moderators

hinojojojo

How to deal with missing packages/libraries while installing packages via PPM?

Post by hinojojojo »

Hi all,
I have been trying S15pup32 on an old laptop, and things were going very well. And I think I have the most recent version S15pup32 22.12. Lately I have been having several cases where I am trying to install a package via the Package Manager, and it has happened that when it finishes installing, the installing report (that window that appears at the end summarizing what was installed, what failed to install, and missing packages/libraries) ends up with some missing libraries/packages listed at the bottom. The most recent happened while trying to install GDAL, which is an important software for my work.

How can we deal with those cases, so we can actually be able to install the required packages? My reasoning was trying to install them directly from slackbuilds instead, but at some point I end up with compilation errors also due to missing dependencies that may not come in in the system but that also fails to install from the slackbuilds or PPM.

Any advice on this will be much appreciated.

OscarTalks

Re: How to deal with missing packages/libraries while installing packages via PPM?

Post by OscarTalks »

I can only offer a bit of general comment here. Be aware first of all that some packages are dropping support for 32bit these days, but if it shows up in PPM there should be a chance that you will be able to install it and dependencies should get installed as part of the process. That is not always the case though for a number of reasons. Sometimes you do have to do a bit of investigation and follow-up. Any messages telling you what is missing can offer some guidance, but you have to be able to know where to look and how to attempt to complete all the necessary steps.

Compiling from source is an alternative to installing via PPM and does have some advantages. I am a fan of this method but it is something which you will find gets easier with a bit of experience. Sometimes you can combine compiling with PPM use, eg compiling missing dependencies before installing the wanted program via PPM or vice-versa, so for example if you install something and PPM says a library is missing which it cannot find in the repos, you may be able to resolve that by grabbing the source package and compiling it manually or as a slackbuild.

I had never heard of GDAL and I would need some time to specifically look into how to install a specific program in a specific Puppy version, but sometimes it might be a good idea for you to post something like that as a specific problem for others to look at, because otherwise the advice can tend to be a bit nebulous (hope maybe I have helped a bit). I would say though in closing that PPM does what you would expect it to do in the majority of cases but sometimes with larger and more complex stuff you might have to do a bit of extra work.

bigpup

Re: How to deal with missing packages/libraries while installing packages via PPM?

Post by bigpup »

Welcome to Linux software :roll: :welcome:

This is info you need to know about getting software to add to Puppy Linux versions:
viewtopic.php?t=1819

First thing to do with PPM is update the data base, before you try to find anything, using PPM.
PPM -> Configure -> Update Database
That brings PPM up to date with what is still in the software repositories, it will be able to download from.

PPM does have repositories listed that are for other Linux OS's.
S15pup32 PPM is listing Slacko repositories to access for software.
The weakness of this is: those repositories may not have everything needed by a specific program, you get from them.
Why?
Because the other dependency software is already in Slacko, so no reason to have it in the repository.

If you take the info about what PPM did not find to install.

Usually, you can search the Internet for the specific needed software and get it that way.

Sorry, but PPM is not perfect when getting stuff from non-Puppy repositories.
Most of the stuff provided by non-Puppy repositories will work, but dependency stuff missing is sometimes an issue.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I'll outline what can be done in other cases below. But not for GDAL. Unfortunately, there are no GDAL versions for Slackware 15, let alone Slackware 15 32-bit.

SlackBuilds.org provides these instructions with this warning: "This script is for Slackware 14.2 only and may be outdated." https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/gis/gdal/

--Easier? :) to solve 'missing dependencies'--

The first thing to do is take a snapshot of the window telling you what's missing so you'll know what to look for.
As bigpup wrote, it's important to update PPM's database. If you forgot to, do it then see if just the missing libraries can now be found. When you do a search for libraries, don't give up if the specific library is missing. Sometimes they've been updated. So, for example if libgstreamer-1.0.so.0 isn't found, do a search for libgstreamer. If there's been an update then very often the updated version will contain the new version with a symbolic link to it having the old version. [If not, and the library you found is acceptable (not just having a similar name) you can create the symlink. Ask how.
If PPM doesn't have it, check pkgs.org. You'll have to know to which distro your puppy is compatible. Usually the first post in its thread will tell you. In your case it's Slackware 15. Pkgs's search box will. If it's not available for your specific distro, look for one as close to it as possible: e.g., first look for a Slackware 14.2 version for Slackware 15; then 14.1 etc. Keep three things in mind: (1) the further you stray from your binary compatible distro the less likely a library will be acceptible; (2) even if acceptable, you may have to create a symbolic link to it; and (3) using alien libraries often will involve a need to track down the dependencies of that library and when you're finished hunting your application still may not work.
A good reason to compile.
Or change Puppys: pkgs.org reveals that GDAL packages are available for Slackware 14.2, 14.1, debian 10 thru 12 (Bookworm) and Ubuntu Bionic, Fossa and Jammy. 32-bit versions, that's another story.
But Why 32-bit? What are your computer's specs? It is very unlikely that it CAN'T run a 64-bit Puppy. As OscarTalks wrote, support for 32-bit is being dropped. It's been about 2 decades since computers were manufactured only able to run 32-bit operating systems.

Return to “SPups”