Samsung S21 and scrcpy - mtp

Moderators: kirk, jamesbond, p310don, JakeSFR, step, Forum moderators

stemsee

Samsung S21 and scrcpy - mtp

Post by stemsee »

I bought a refurbished samsung galaxy S21 smartphone for £175.

Researching this phone i expected it to have dex through usb only, as wireless dex was touted for the Ultra series. Not so!

Plugging my phone into a usbc portable monitor, not only powered the monitor but opened up the dex desktop. Ran all apk apps directly. Better than androidx86 experiences. I imagine using dex with anydesk to control my fatdog machine will be sufficient as a linux on android experience.

Opening up scrcpy on fatdog desktop and boom my android appeared on my desktop. My desktop has a touchscreen input and using scrcpy was exactly the same as using my phone directly, except for the under screen fingerprint sensor. In some ways better as landscape mode gives me a laptop sized screen to work with. Multi-touch, pinch to zoom etc... Mouse and touch input function independently and differently.

Sound ... used my handsfree stereo headset plugged into my laptop gave two-way high quality sound between laptop and phone. Whether watching video on laptop or phone both available. Mic sends to phone seamlessly.

Clipboard ... touching my laptop screen scrcpy window on a chinese language message in phone's whatsapp and copying, immediately opened my linux ydown popup and translated to english. Absolutely superb.

Using rtirq I prioritised adb and usb and used nice -18 to run scrcpy.....it seems to give a better performance than the phone!!

Then try file transfer: started mtp and scrcpy closed down. mtp works fine. reloaded scrcpy and both running fine.

Internet for the laptop can be tethered from the usbc phone connection simultaneously. Or if the laptop has internet share to the phone.

Perfection would be to activate dex mode on scrcpy, which is possible using a dummy hdmi video head...apparently.

Also using dex with a usbc touchscreen must be the ideal tablet experience. But touchscreen laptop rotated to portrait is pretty darn good too.

Finally let's not forget Samsung 'S' series tablets and phones can use the active S-Pen for drawing and handwriting and mouse functions.

Samsung S21, or S21 FE highly recommended for total versatility.

Last edited by stemsee on Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:40 am, edited 7 times in total.
jamesbond

Re: Samsung S21 and scrcpy - mtp

Post by jamesbond »

I wish I could get S21 for £175 ... The last time I checked they were still selling it for A$900 :shock:

stemsee

Re: Samsung S21 and scrcpy - mtp

Post by stemsee »

Mine wasn't new.....refurbished from ebay 'stockmustgo'. They included $100 worth of Virgin wine vouchers! And ebay gave me 15% discount.

Return to “FatDog”