Problems running KeePassXC

Moderator: BarryK

JimE

Problems running KeePassXC

Post by JimE »

I installed EasyOS 5.4.1 to a flash drive. After booting up on my LG Gram laptop, I installed KeepassXC 2.7.4 using the AppImage Installer. The first problem I encountered running it was that there was apparently no response when I clicked on the URL for an entry (I expected this to open the browser and take me to the appropriate web page). When I launched KeePassXC (using the script) from a terminal, these messages were printed immediately:

localuser:keepassxc being added to access control list
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-keepassxc'

After clicking on 'Create new database' and beginning data entry, I got this message:

qt.xkb.compose: failed to create compose table

When I finished creating the database and clicked 'Done,' I got this message:

QWidget::setWindowModified: The window title does not contain a '[*]' placeholder

When I created an entry and clicked on its URL, I got a repeat of one of the original messages:

QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-keepassxc'

Does anyone recognize these messages? Is there a simple fix? My skills are very limited, so any suggestions would need to be quite detailed. I'd appreciate any help I can get, but I understand if it's best for me to try again with a future release.

Thanks for reading!

pp4mnklinux

Re: Problems running KeePassXC

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi: similar problem here.

I used lastpass... but someday it stop working.

solution.... haha ... Install KeePAss

It doesn't work, but it made lastpass start working.

So nowadays, I have keepass installed but I am not using it... because this way lastpass work.

Incredible?=?= Computers' world, haha

:arrow:

XFCE_FUSILLI . ===> https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/

YouTube How_To . ==> https://bit.ly/f96ce_xfce_fusilli_HOWTO

Learning EASY OS . => https://easyos.org/

JimE

Post by JimE »

That's seems very strange. I would gladly try installing lastpass if I could just to see if it would help. It's good to know that I'm not the only one to see this problem.

Thanks for your reply!

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

When a problem like this occurs, it is a good idea to google it first. I have just done that, found this:

"Cannot open URL's from AppImage"
https://github.com/keepassxreboot/keepassxc/issues/8721

And, just 2 days ago:
https://github.com/keepassxreboot/keepa ... sions/9559

The person has reported that version 2.7.1 works. OK, we can try that, download 'KeePassXC-2.7.1-x86_64.AppImage' from here:

https://github.com/keepassxreboot/keepassxc/releases

Move it to /mnt/wkg/appimage/keepassxc
Right-click on it, choose "Properties" and tick all the "Exec" checkboxes.

Right-click on /usr/bin/keepassxc.bin and choose to open with Geany text editor.
Then edit /usr/bin/keepassxc.bin, change the version from 2.7.4 to 2.7.1:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
export $(dbus-launch) #if app needs to access dbus.
/mnt/wkg/appimage/keepassxc/keepassxc-2.7.1.AppImage
kill $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID

Start in a terminal:

# keepassxc

...let us know if that fixes it.

Note, there is also a KeePassXC Flatpak, in the Flapi package manager. Would be interesting to know if can open URLs with that.

JimE

Post by JimE »

Thank you for your rapid and thorough response. Here is the latest:

I installed KeePassXC version 2.7.5 via Flatpak. It also fails to open the URL. Some of the messages are the same, some are different. Here are the places where differences occurred.

upon application launch:
localuser:keepassxc being added to access control list
QCommandLineParser: option not defined: "allow-screencapture"

upon clicking on URL:
Failed to call portal: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop was not provided by any .service files

I followed your instructions to download and install the version 2.7.1 AppImage. I was able to get it to run, but it also failed to open the URL. The messages were almost identical to those from the 2.7.4 AppImage, the only difference being that for some reason I didn't see the "localuser:keepassxc being added to access control list" message this time.

I apologize for doing a poor job of Googling earlier. I made some erroneous assumptions (partly based on the fact that 2.7.4 is able to open URLs in Vanilla Dpup 10.0.15, although the application startup is exceptionally slow) that caused me to look in the wrong places.

I appreciate your help. Thanks again.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

OK, I'm working on it. Got an idea what is wrong.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Vanilla Dpup 10.0.x includes xdg-desktop-portal and xdg-desktop-portal-gtk. Many Flatpak applications are partially broken and can't show things like the file selection dialog without this. (In the name of UI consistency, many applications use portals to show dialogs and perform special actions like screen capture even if not running under Flatpak.)

Regarding slow startup times, that's a different story - looks like KeePassXC tries to talk to logind (or elogind, doesn't matter). Puppy doesn't have this daemon and can't have it, because it's useless without libpam-systemd (or libpam-elogind), while Puppy's login doesn't go through PAM. Technically, one can run this daemon, but it's a waste of RAM because it won't work anyway.

This daemon is supposed to be started by /etc/init.d/elogind (intentionally deleted in dpup), and not via org.freedesktop.login1.service, which doesn't do anything. If an application tries to talk to elogind but the init script is missing or disabled, dbus will try to start it and give it some time to report it's ready, which won't happen. This means the application will wait until startup timeout, and this interval is long.

Therefore, the best fix I see is to delete org.freedesktop.login1.service: when dbus doesn't know this daemon, it doesn't even try to start it, fails immediately and reports this failure to the application.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

dimkr,
Thanks for the feedback about flatpak portals.

I will be including xdg-desktop-portal and xdg-desktop-portal-gtk in the next release of EasyOS.

Regarding KeePassXC, I have compiled it and it works, including opening a URL in a browser. That's running as root.

Right now I doing a build of Easy with KeePassXC builtin and configured to run as user 'keepassxc'.
It is very big though, just playing with it builtin.
Will report about that soon.

JimE

Post by JimE »

Thanks for reporting this significant progress (and my thanks to dimkr, too). Having a fully functional KeePassXC will make using EasyOS a lot more pleasant for me, even if it requires running as root. I understand it's probably too big to release as a builtin application. I look forward to hearing more.

Last edited by JimE on Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarryK

Post by BarryK »

It is now a builtin app!

See blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/202306/keepassx ... asyos.html

Have just uploaded Easy 5.4.3, will post an announcement very soon.

JimE

Post by JimE »

Thank you, this is more than I expected! I have installed EasyOS 5.4.3 and worked with KeePassXC a little. I haven't performed exhaustive testing, but all of the functions I normally use work fine (open existing database, copy username, copy password, edit entry, add entry, create new database, save database, generate password, open URL). I'm grateful for the time and effort you've put into this.

kris777

Post by kris777 »

For me, keepassxc + googlechrome with flathub does not work, i.e. it does not connect to browsers ... I always get this message in the browser and the keepassxc-browser plugin:

KeePassXC-Browser encountered an error:
Key exchange failed.

I have browser integration turned on in settings:
chromium / chrome
I don't know if it's possible at all but I tried to open a keepassxc database created on another system that I created on google-chrome ... but keepassxc can't even open this database to enter the password ... the program just crashes and only helps

killall keepassxc

I don't know if it's a good idea to have keepassxc run on system startup...if it might not work properly
I went back to the proven and well-functioning Bitwarden

Return to “EasyOS”