Any way to make Mouse config permanent?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

8Geee

Any way to make Mouse config permanent?

Post by 8Geee »

All of the puppies I've used over the years only allow per session mouse config. Any way to make settings permanent until manual delta?

Regards
8Geee

Money talks... no, it shouts, so that it doesn't have to hear common sense.

Flash

Re: Any way to make Mouse config permanent?

Post by Flash »

Which Puppy are you using and how are you using it? Do you have a save file or what?

Chaos coordinator :?
8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

Using Slacko7.0-32bit.
I have save-file, but the app UI indicates session only, after I make changes. It does this in 5.7, too. Lucky that the touchpad retains the deltas... mouse no.

Regards
8Geee

Money talks... no, it shouts, so that it doesn't have to hear common sense.

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

8Geee wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:06 pm

All of the puppies I've used over the years only allow per session mouse config

Yeah, that's what the label says, but don't believe everything written on the screen ;)
What exactly do you want to change? I tested only with mouse acceleration in Slacko 5.6 (don't have 5.7 or 7.0). My changes are saved to the save file and effective even after a reboot.

I assume that you are using the Mouse/Keyboard wizard. After your change you should find a new hidden file /root/.xset.sh . Do you? This file is read by /root/.xinitrc whenever you start the X server and should be still present after a reboot. Is it?

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

In Slacko 7.0 try this:-
Open /usr/sbin/input-wizard in geany
Edit line 203 so it now reads:-
MOUSEACCX10=`LANG=C dc -e "${MOUSEACCEL} 10 * 1 / p"` #130209
(previously was MOUSEACCX10=`LANG=C dc ${MOUSEACCEL} 10 \* p` #130209)
Save changes and close
Now try changing mouse acceleration again.
I think you can just click the OK button and changes are saved permanently (not just for session)
The settings should now be written correctly to /root/.xset.sh

Background
The need to make these changes arose because developers of the dc utility made changes to the syntax which was understood by it.
The code for mouse acceleration was originally part of the pupx script by BarryK. He still uses this in EasyOS I believe. I recall working on editing pupx to fix this issue, but later in Puppy development the code was moved from pupx to input-wizard. I think eventually all the correct edits got done, but for a while there were Puppy releases out there with mouse acceleration not working. NOTE ALSO that in more recent Puppies the mechanism for controlling mouse acceleration has been switched over to libinput which is different and the above mechanism involving dc and xset becomes irrelevant as it no longer works anyway.

EDIT:- although the above edit does fix the writing of settings to /root/.xset.sh it seems that the settings are still not persisting if you restart X, so not sure why that is. Could it be that the /root/.xinitrc is not getting included on restart for some reason? Maybe a workaround could be to have the xset commands linked or copied into /root/Startup, with a bit of sleep if necessary?

Return to “Beginners Help”