Vanilla Dpup 10 - beta

Moderators: dimkr, Forum moderators

retiredt00

Vanilla Dpup 10 - beta

Post by retiredt00 »

Dear dimkr
Since the 10x tread is locked, I post here to inform you that in spite of the strong warning, updating from 10.0.155 to beta1 went without any problem.
Please feel free to delete this post and open a proper Dpup beta thread
Thanks again

retiredt00

Re: Vanilla Dpup 10 - beta

Post by retiredt00 »

Dear dimkr
Now that the dpup10 is beta I would like to report some issues that might need attention

Both Xorg and Xwayland versions, failed to suspend on lid closure when booting from a USB in PUPMODE 13. They both suspend fine in PUPMODE 5.
Other recent puppies (F64_CE3 for example) suspend OK in pupmode 13.
BTW Lid switch is classified as "audio" in hardware info.

In the gtk filechooser you can not add /mnt/home in the side panel because "home" is reserved for /home. I used "dev_save" instead but would be nice to be /mnt/home as per puppy tradition
While on the subject, how to you remove bookmarks from the gtk filechooser side panel?

Puppy Desktop > Desktop Icons > Arrangement > Global theming, does nothing.

SFS_load.overaly GUI needs some polishing/info/help.
The tone change for the available vs queued SFSs is really subtle. Something more evident is needed or some explanation
Any file with an *.sfs" name, even invisible, is listed as loadable SFS. You may want to check that the file is indeed a squashfs

A general purpose installer is still missing from puppy. I understand is not that easy or interesting but you may want to use the ones in antiX or Porteous that have a similar idea, as base and work from there.

Another thing that is missing is OOTB interaction with mobile phones
Vanilla dpup has most of the puppy utilities missing but phones are omnipresent and is a good idea to be supported OOTB.
Also (Web)Camera and recoding support is not present OOTB too.

Some other little things.
There is a scary warning about upgrades that appears in simple minor version updates. I think is not needed.
It also gives the idea that these updates are really untested and development rather than beta.

The ISOs now have PTUUID and PTTYPE and thus do not open anymore in some non Linux OSs to see what is there. Seeing the content of the SFS could be helpful for first time users, or to set up your puppy while on another OS.
Not sure what is the purpose of the PTUUID and PTTYPE additions in the ISO but if it not adding any installation functionality, you may want to consider removing them.

I hope that the above are helpful rather than annoying
Thank you for your efforts to bring puppy forward.

d-pupp

Post by d-pupp »

I am testing 10.0.0-beta6 Vanilla dpup

The install was easy, a manual frugal install to my hard drive.
Everything setup the same way as 9.3.17 (There was nothing new to learn or do differently)

Everything works as expected...even Adding Xft.dpi: 120 to /root/.Xdefaults to make the fonts bigger

My PC is a Dell, Vostro 220 Series, x86_64, Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz, around 2013-14
Performance is good with apps starting quickly

However There is a big difference between the reported resource used between 9.3.17 and 10.0.0-beta6
I know everything is newer in 10.0.0 and I believe this to be just the way they are being reported and not a real difference
@dimkr can you confirm this?

Here is the output of vmstat and free

Code: Select all

procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ------cpu-----
 r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in   cs us sy id wa st
 0  0      0   1641     12   2019    0    0    41     4  153  261  2  0 98  0  0
procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ------cpu-----
 r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in   cs us sy id wa st
 1  0      0   1426     25   2129    0    0   508     1  511  620  1  1 98  1  0

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           3.8Gi      194Mi       1.9Gi       765Mi       1.7Gi       2.66Gi
Swap:          8.0Mi          0B       8.0Mi
                    total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           3.8Gi       1.4Gi       1.4Gi       933Mi       2.1Gi       2.4Gi
Swap:          8.0Mi          0B       8.0Mi 

My concerns come from the output of top and free
Top shows load average in 9.3 at .03 and in 10 at 1.0 I believe .03 to be to low and it should be also around 1.0 as the idle time in both systems is 98%
Free shows used memory in 9.3 at 200 Mb and in 10 at 1.4 Gb . I believe 200 Mb is also to low as the free and available are very similar
All the output are from a idle system (at least 15 min) nothing open except the terminal and geany

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@d-pupp This output can be confusing because kernel cache is evicted when running low on RAM (so this RAM is not really "used") and increased use of shared memory can reduce RAM usage and improve performance. Lower is not always better, and sometimes increased RAM consumption does not predict bad performance.

With that said, 10.0.x is generally bigger and consumes more RAM because everything is newer, so I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers remain higher, even if you echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches before vmstat. In particular, the Xwayland flavor consumes much more RAM but much of that difference comes from shared memory and it's a relatively small fixed cost, considering the benefits.

d-pupp

Post by d-pupp »

@dimkr I agree the output is confussing.
In my searching yesterday I found that older versions of free did a calculation for "memory used"
Free + Buffered + Cache - Total.
This new version of free is doing a different calculation
Total - used
by the looks of it.

Anyways Questions
Is wlr-randr | grep current a good replacement for xrandr | grep '*'
Also numlockx doesn't work with wayland is there a replacement or a config file I can add something to so that the num lock is on?
I have turned it off in the bios for 9.3 and used numlockx to fix the problem originally.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

d-pupp wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:37 pm

Also numlockx doesn't work with wayland is there a replacement or a config file I can add something to so that the num lock is on?

Not that I know of, I'll need to fix this at some point.

Feek

Post by Feek »

Version 10.0.0-beta7, 64-bit, Xorg

pclock and ptiming do not start:

~$ pclock
/sbin/pclock: line 34: 4100/: syntax error: operand expected (error token is "/")
~$ ptiming
/usr/local/ptiming/ptiming: line 30: 4100/: syntax error: operand expected (error token is "/")

Otherwise everything looks great so far :thumbup: .

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Thanks @Feek, opened https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ssues/4042 to allow others to propose solutions :)

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

d-pupp" wrote:

Free shows used memory in 9.3 at 200 Mb and in 10 at 1.4 Gb .

That difference is huge !
Probably it's because of changes in the newest procps, same "problem" on Debiandog Bookworm, see : viewtopic.php?p=88540#p88540

Feek

Post by Feek »

No sound at all after upgrading to 10.0.0-beta10 (64-bit, xorg).
Thanks.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Feek wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:24 am

No sound at all after upgrading to 10.0.0-beta10 (64-bit, xorg).
Thanks.

Delete /etc/asound.* and reboot

Phneoix

Post by Phneoix »

Hi
I am unable to boot to gui. It shows blank screen instead of gui. I am able to boot to cmd line with nox option

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

I can't help much unless you give extra details about your hardware and log files.

Phneoix

Post by Phneoix »

Can you please post what details you need and how to get them as i am relatively new to linux ecosystem.
Iam currently using 9.3 dpup. It works fine.

Thanks

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Phneoix wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:56 am

how to get them

dmesg
cat /var/log/messages
lspci
lsusb
rm /var/local/xwin_disable_xerrs_log_flag
timeout 30 xwin
cat /tmp/xerrs.log
Feek

Post by Feek »

Probably with the beta10 version, the download problem started for me in google chrome (latest version). It's the same in beta11. When I click on the download file, nothing happens at all (not even an error message from Chrome). At first I thought it was a Chrome issue, but it seems not. Chrome was installed several versions ago using the gdebi installer and is updated regularly using apt.

I'm using version 9.3.24 in parallel (Chrome installed and updated the same way). Here everything works as it should.

(downloading in firefox-esr works in both versions without problems).
Thanks.

Phneoix

Post by Phneoix »

:cry:

dimkr wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:13 am
Phneoix wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:56 am

how to get them

dmesg
cat /var/log/messages
lspci
lsusb
rm /var/local/xwin_disable_xerrs_log_flag
timeout 30 xwin
cat /tmp/xerrs.log

Hi,
Sorry for delay.

I tried what you asked.

My screen gets stuck at 'timeout 30 xwin'. The system itself hangs. I can nither exit to cmd prompt with ctrl alt f1 or ctrl alt backspace. I have to reset the system. I have an asus netbook with 1.6 atom processor.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Phneoix wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:25 pm

My screen gets stuck at 'timeout 30 xwin'. The system itself hangs. I can nither exit to cmd prompt with ctrl alt f1 or ctrl alt backspace. I have to reset the system. I have an asus netbook with 1.6 atom processor.

Append pfix=nox in your bootloader configuration.

d-pupp

Post by d-pupp »

Testing 10-beta 8
I noticed that sometimes there is a notable delay starting some large apps like Firefox. It is long enough that I clicked it a second time.
It seems to happen after I have been copying large files from partition to partition.
What I was doing was updating my Vanilla 9.3.21 to 9.3.25 and I was copying files from my backup on sda2 to /mnt/home on sda1.
Rox showed the copy as completed.
I then opened Firefox and it took a few seconds maybe 5 to 10 to open.

one

Post by one »

d-pupp wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:40 pm

Testing 10-beta 8
I noticed that sometimes there is a notable delay starting some large apps like Firefox. It is long enough that I clicked it a second time.
It seems to happen after I have been copying large files from partition to partition.
What I was doing was updating my Vanilla 9.3.21 to 9.3.25 and I was copying files from my backup on sda2 to /mnt/home on sda1.
Rox showed the copy as completed.
I then opened Firefox and it took a few seconds maybe 5 to 10 to open.

Hi @d-pupp,

to be sure that the copy process is finished open a terminal and type sync two times - wait each time until the prompt appears ...

This is especially important if there is a usb drive involved and you want to remove it.

# sync
# sync
#
dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Firefox always starts slowly first time you open it. Does this problem go away later?

d-pupp

Post by d-pupp »

@dimkr The problem only seems to occur when I have been doing a big copy job immediately before going online. It has happened a few times before. However I use 9.3.xx as my daily and it doesn't do that so it catches me by surprise.
I will make a note and do some testing with top open the next time. It really seems to me like it just busy completing the copy in the back ground or has used most of the memory and has to flush some out.
I let you know.

Edit
I have tried several times to replicate this long delay but can't.
Top has not shown any high cpu or memory usage during my tests. and Firefox even on first start loaded in 3 or 4 seconds

How I tested
Booted into Vanilla 10 beta 8 xwayland
started top
downloaded Vanilla 10.0.14 xwayland.
I closed ff and opened 2 rox windows to move the iso (869 mb )to my backup on sda2
I then mounted the iso and copied the files I needed to update to my backup folder
I started firefox (3 sec load time)
I shut the pc off to clear all memory and booted into 10 beta8
I started top and opened 2 Rox windows and copied the files I need to update 10 to a new folder (sda1/mnt/home/new from sda2/puppy)
I started firefox (3 sec load time)
I gave up for the night and shutdown
This morning I tried again giving only a couple of seconds between opening top coping files and launching firefox.
Still only 3 sec to load.
I'll keep watching. I must have missed something. (not that 10 seconds is a big deal :) )

d-pupp

Post by d-pupp »

I updated to 10.0.14 xwayland but I have a problem.
My screen has a large black patch in the middle of it. Only the mouse show.
Above and below I can see a normal desktop and can even use the icons if I can get the mouse on them. That is difficult because it disappears when I mouse over.
I opened a terminal but most of it was behind the black bar
I have no menu, no top bar, and jwm keyboard shortcuts don't work
I used ctrl alt F2 to kill dwl and got a terminal screen
The os seems to be working fine.
I tried startdwl but got trapped in a black screen with only the mouse even ctrl alt F2 didn't work. The power button gave me a normal shutdown.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@d-pupp Fixed in the next release

Feek

Post by Feek »

Apt refuses to install anything because of unmet dependencies (probably because the systemd bits were removed from bdrv).
After running "apt --fix-broken install" it says "Unable to correct dependencies".

Is there any way to fix this or do I have to start with a new save folder?

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@Feek In this particular case, start with a fresh save if you want to do things safely (mentioned in changelog, make sure you read it before the next time you update)

Feek

Post by Feek »

dimkr wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:07 am

@Feek In this particular case, start with a fresh save if you want to do things safely (mentioned in changelog, make sure you read it before the next time you update)

Thank you for your answer.
I read the channel log regularly, but in this case I couldn't imagine exactly what this change would bring :) .

I have an old save backed up, so I have the option to go back to an older version. But over time, the built-in Firefox would become old (if I'm not mistaken). So I'll probably create a fresh save.

JimE

Post by JimE »

I hope I've picked the right location for this inquiry.

I installed Vanilla Dpup 10.0.15 (the xorg version) to a flash drive this morning. Then I installed KeepassXC 2.7.4 using the Synaptic Package Manager. Everything seems to work fine except that KeePassXC takes 25 seconds to start up on my LG Gram laptop. All of the other applications I've tried start up very quickly as expected.

Does anyone know what might cause this or how to fix it? I would appreciate any help. My skills are quite limited.

Thanks!

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

JimE wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:54 pm

KeePassXC takes 25 seconds to start

First time you ever ran it or every time?
First time since power on or every time?

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@JimE The problem will go away if you delete /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.login1.service. Will be fixed in 9.3.27 and 10.0.16.

Return to “Vanilla Dpup”