MP console editor is not a console editor

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

MochiMoppel

MP console editor is not a console editor

Post by MochiMoppel »

In many Puppies The Document menu category contains a "MP console editor".
In my Slacko5.6 this is indeed a console editor (version 3.2.13), running in a rxvt console.
However Fossapup64 uses the newer GTK2 version 5.2.13 , which obviously is not a console editor.
The author calls it "Programmer Text Editor", which IMO is more accurate.

Could be a nice alternative to Geany, but needs an update. Fossapup's version is just too old. Newest version is 5.43
Grey

Re: MP console editor is not a console editor

Post by Grey »

MochiMoppel wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:50 am Could be a nice alternative to Geany, but needs an update. Fossapup's version is just too old. Newest version is 5.43
Yes, it's a pretty good editor. 666philb mentioned somewhere that he deliberately downgraded Geany version from 1.36 to 1.35 due to performance. Maybe with MP the same case.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

user1111

Post by user1111 »

In Fatdog, mp (5.36) runs as a GTK within X, but in console mode if logged into a tty (such as via Ctrl-Alt-F2).
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Would anyone care to expand on just exactly what a 'console editor' actually IS....and what it does?

I too have seen it in Pups for years, and never took much notice of it.....given that I also use Geany wherever necessary for any kind of 'programming'. (And Geany is, I believe, what's also known as an IDE.....again, huh?)

EDIT:- I think that stands for "Integrated Development Environment", yes? Which is....??

Mike. ;)
galbi

Post by galbi »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:06 pmEDIT:- I think that stands for "Integrated Development Environment", yes? Which is....??
Mike look at this and you'll catch de idea
https://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi

Years ago, I wanted to play with Delphi, as it's private software and I couldn't find it, I've discovered Lazarus(1) which lead me to discover libre software, which lead me to discover Linux... and here we are. :thumbup:

(1)https://www.lazarus-ide.org/
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@galbi :-

Uh-huh. 'Kayyy.....yup, I think I get the idea just fine. That Lazarus looks quite interesting; I might just see if I can download it, try and get it running.....have a 'play' with that. Thanks for the links.

Cheers, mate!

Mike. ;)
user1111

Post by user1111 »

When I run mp in the gui desktop it looks like ...

xscreenshot-20201029T205452.png
xscreenshot-20201029T205452.png (24.87 KiB) Viewed 903 times

When I run it in a 'console' (framebuffer/cli) ... it looks something like ...

cap.png
cap.png (48.5 KiB) Viewed 903 times

I say "something-like", as that's a bad framebuffer (just a quick) grab (poor quality font randomly set), in the more regular use/font it looks quite nice.
williams2

Post by williams2 »

Would anyone care to expand on just exactly what a 'console editor' actually IS....and what it does?
An editor is a program the edit text in a text file.

A console editor will work when Xwindows (where you have windows and buttons to click, and pictures, and a mouse cursor) is not running. For example, what you get if you kill X, either from the menu or by pressing ctrl+alt+backspace.

if Xwindows (Xorg) is not running, and you need text editor to fix it, Geany won't work, it needs X to be running.

Mainframe computers used to have a control panel called a console with flashing lights and toggles switches. Then they had control panels with octal or hexadecimal keys, easier to use than flipping toggle switches. Then they had a dedicated video monitor and keyboard, which was also called a console, which could do most of what the control panel console on the mainframe could do, and more.

When you boot Puppy, it displays information as text as it boots, and if Xwindows doesn't start automatically, it waits for you to type commands. That is referred to as a text console.

In BionicPup, mp can run in a text console, or in a urxvt window, or in it's own gtk window.

Sometimes you need to edit a text file in a console. For example, you might edit xorg.conf, then find that X doesn't start, and you can fix it easily by editing xorg.conf again, but Geany won't run if X isn't running. But mp will work in a console. It doesn't need X to be running.
Grey

Post by Grey »

Just like in Fatdog, Fossapup launches MP in different modes. If make an Exit to Prompt, the console version of MP will start.
Therefore, being a text editor for programmers, it still remains a console editor.
This means that the inscription in main menu is not lying. It is a versatile fighter with multiple modes.
mp_nox_scr.jpg
mp_nox_scr.jpg (71.98 KiB) Viewed 876 times

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

Grey wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:27 amThis means that the inscription in main menu is not lying. It is a versatile fighter with multiple modes
No, it's not lying but it is misleading. The menu does not start the editor in console mode, so why explicitly label it "console"?
williams2

Post by williams2 »

By the way, mp doesn't run well with TERM=ansi

mp seems to run better if TERM=Eterm or TERM=Eterm-color
like this:

Code: Select all

TERM=Eterm-color COLORTERM=Eterm-color mp readme.txt
Maybe the mp config files could be tweaked.

mp could be started from a script, like this:

#!/bin/sh
TERM=Eterm-color COLORTERM=Eterm-color mp "$@"
Grey

Post by Grey »

Haven't voted for a long time, it's time to voting :) Organize a voting. If most users find the name confusing, then 666philb has a reason to rename the menu item, for example like this: MP editor.

But in fairness, we must admit that if there was no mention of the console, then most users would not even know that the editor can run in console.

garnet

Post by garnet »

"mp" can be told to run in console mode even under Xorg:

# mp -txt readme.txt
So the menu is not wrong ...

Hope that helps ^_^

Grey

Post by Grey »

garnet wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:41 pm mp -txt readme.txt
By the way, yes. Everyone forgot about the 'mp --help' command. And everything is there.
mp_help.png
mp_help.png (104.48 KiB) Viewed 1700 times

666philb

Post by 666philb »

MochiMoppel wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:08 am
Grey wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:27 amThis means that the inscription in main menu is not lying. It is a versatile fighter with multiple modes
No, it's not lying but it is misleading. The menu does not start the editor in console mode, so why explicitly label it "console"?
Hi @MochiMoppel
i probably used the ancient original mp .desktop file in the mp.pet just with a different icon (mp V3 from barry). the latest .desktop says
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Minimum Profit Text Editor
Comment=Edit text files
Exec=mp-5 %F
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Icon=minimum-profit
Categories=Development;Utility;TextEditor;TextTools;
Keywords=Text;Editor;Plaintext;Write;
MimeType=text/plain;
X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.23
the reason that it isn't the latest one in fossapup is that it's not a straight forward compile and as time was short when building fossapup i decided to use bionicpup64s version.

if someone wants to build the latest please do. i would like the gtk3 version.
Grey

Post by Grey »

Here it is. Minimum Profit 5.43 .pet: https://yadi.sk/d/dOVpEs1-fRLGNg
Compiled with components: driver qt5, MPDM (Minimum Profit Data Manager) v. 2.69, MPSL (Minimum Profit Scripting Language) v. 2.60. I think there is no gtk3 driver, but only gtk+, so qt5. Run through Menu>>Document>>Minimum Profit Text Editor
New version not overwrite the old version when installing(they'll both be in menu.), if necessary, 666philb will do it.

Further, as a bonus, I compiled two games from the author of MP. The first one is small and it is possible, in principle, to include it in Fossapup by default.
Space Plumber aka splumber (first-person 3d game, the main goal is to reach the extraction pumps before the water level increases swamping everything). Run through Menu>>Fun>>Space Plumber
https://yadi.sk/d/bXCMqYJG90OtCA
Freaks aka fr2002 (port to newer architectures of Freaks! (MS/DOS), a 3D maze and monster smashing adventure developed in the 90's). Run through Menu>>Fun>>Freaks!
https://yadi.sk/d/eS8Z6YWl-JdXgQ
The games did not have icons, so I made it quickly myself. Games use OSS, so there is pinstall.sh in .pet which install alsa-oss for sound, plus LD_PRELOAD = libaoss.so in launch script of games.
And it was necessary to compile all sorts of filp, qdgdf, mpdm, mpsl libraries there.

And finally, some fun and sad at the same time information. Author of these programs, Ángel Ortega, doesn't care if Puppy still exists or is already dead.
Link to full version:
https://triptico.com/blog/why-the-minim ... ebian.html

666philb

Post by 666philb »

Grey wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:33 am Here it is. Minimum Profit 5.43 .pet: https://yadi.sk/d/dOVpEs1-fRLGNg
Compiled with components: driver qt5, MPDM (Minimum Profit Data Manager) v. 2.69, MPSL (Minimum Profit Scripting Language) v. 2.60. I think there is no gtk3 driver, but only gtk+, so qt5. Run through Menu>>Document>>Minimum Profit Text Editor
New version not overwrite the old version when installing(they'll both be in menu.), if necessary, 666philb will do it.

thanks @Grey added to quickpet updates
Grey

Post by Grey »

In order not to create a new topic, I will suggest right here. It would be nice to add a plugin ''Headerbar for GTK3 UI'' aka ''ddb_misc_headerbar_GTK3'' for DeaDBeeF player. This is actually it, a headerbar with buttons for the GTK3 UI :)
Well, these too, mainly for visual beautification: VU Meter, Waveform Seekbar, Musical Spectrum.
https://deadbeef.sourceforge.io/plugins.html

666philb

Post by 666philb »

Grey wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:22 pm In order not to create a new topic, I will suggest right here. It would be nice to add a plugin ''Headerbar for GTK3 UI'' aka ''ddb_misc_headerbar_GTK3'' for DeaDBeeF player. This is actually it, a headerbar with buttons for the GTK3 UI :)
Well, these too, mainly for visual beautification: VU Meter, Waveform Seekbar, Musical Spectrum.
https://deadbeef.sourceforge.io/plugins.html

hi @Grey

it's best to make a new topic for new subjects.
i've created a new thread that will be pinned to top of the fossapup forum where user contributed packages can be posted viewtopic.php?f=146&t=1239
BarryK

Post by BarryK »

mp can be configured at compile time to only build the console component, which is what I have in EasyOS.

Also, I use a very old version, 3.3.17, which has some mods to support utf-8. Here is the pet compiled for Debian Buster:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/ ... ster64.pet

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/ ... ster64.pet

I also have another one linked statically using musl, which is in the initrd.

Return to “Fossapup64”