Building a minimal KLV with a spectrwm + Rox Desktop

Moderator: Forum moderators

geo_c

Re: Building a minimal KLV with a spectrwm + Rox Desktop

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:29 pm

Might be able to borrow the uxrvt configuration GUI from Puppy Linux, but I see the minlimism in using the method @Sofiya pointed out.

How about an easy script that creates a "Terminal Dark Mode" by creating an .Xresources file? And then one to restore to original default.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

So yeah, I'm posting a lot, but I haven't booted into anything else all day. This is just too easy to get around, and cool. Why didn't anyone mention that operating a desktop could be this smooth?

So because there aren't drive icons and "hot-mounting" in KLV-Spectr, my pre-written mount scripts are proving to be quite handy. They are simple scripts like:

mount by drive:
script name: mntsdb2 (stored in /mnt to be easily run from any file manager)

Code: Select all

mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/sdb2

mount by label:
script name: mntgeoboot

mkdir /run/media/root
mkdir /run/media/root/geoboot
mount /dev/disk/by-label/geoboot /run/media/root/geoboot

With corresponding unmount scripts.

So it doesn't appear that Thunar is installed by default on this system, and that's okay with me. It seems like that gives me more freedom to mount to where ever I like. In KLV the Xfce desktop icons and Thunar mount to /run/media/root/[by-label] and I wrote scripts accordingly for that. But I don't use them because when unmounted they seem not to be reflected by the Xfce desktop.

KLV-spectr it would seem doesn't have this issue, and I can mount to the more obvious /mnt/sdb2 location.

geo_c

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I have Thunar installed now but doesn't seem to interfere with the manual mounts. There is also a mount script written by @wiak that is in: /usr/local/bin/wd_mount that has remained in the KLV's which works like :

wd_mount sda2

The script is what we used to mount partitions in the basic FirstRib-Void distro's so it might be of interest and I'll test out with some usage. Thunar makes it easy to use a SAMBA connections around my LAN so I have it installed right now alongside XFE. I will have to check how Thunar behaves but it doesn't really need to be in the default root_fs

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

The more keystrokes I learn on this desktop the better it gets. M-/ and you can choose a workspace out of 10 available. (edit, make that 22 workspaces if set in the config)

M-w iconifies a window on the pinboard, M-S-w uniconifies.

Maximize, unmaximize, float, unfloat, change workspaces, resize, reorder, iconify, uniconify, move windows to workspaces launch any installed executable or command with M-p, everything at the touch a few sensible keystrokes.

I'm really loving it. What does it take to get CUPS printing up and running? I'll probably never use another OS after that.

It's like all my years using puppy prepared me for this moment. Basically this system is ready for daily use with a few more improvements.

I haven't even touched the spectrwm.conf yet. I don't have the status bar loaded. But all that is next. Maybe a few niceties like pdf viewers and music players.

And this OS is a terminal app dreamscape. But it also is fully functioning in the graphical department.

Last edited by geo_c on Sun May 07, 2023 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Well I uncommented a few things in spectrwm.conf and reformated the clock and made the font bigger, changed the window focus outline color, nice improvement, but the clock displaying UTC, and now I'm wondering how to set the timezone in Void, which I'll do a search on: and here it is https://docs.voidlinux.org/config/date-time.html

timezone is good, clock in the status bar now helpful.

I like this system for so many reasons, and also because it marries the desktop gui to the command line sensibilty in a really nice way. It makes me think about how my system works a little more in depth, yet simultaneously gives me the 'average user' experience.

geo_c

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Some Timezone information:

The default system timezone can be set by linking the timezone file to /etc/localtime:

# ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/<timezone> /etc/localtime

Note: If the variable TIMEZONE is set in /etc/rc.conf, it should be removed or commented out, as this will override what has been set with ln on reboot.

To change the timezone on a per user basis, the TZ variable can be exported from your shell's profile:

export TZ=<timezone>

Note that setting the timezone does not set the time (or date); instead, it simply specifies an offset from UTC, as described in timezone

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:48 am

Some Timezone information:

The default system timezone can be set by linking the timezone file to /etc/localtime:

# ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/<timezone> /etc/localtime

I found that thanks! I'm quite proud of myself. I just installed epdview and lilypond.

Added a mailcap file and configured neomutt to access all my locally stored email archives. I generally use Thunderbird portable throughout the day, but always like to be able to archive using neomutt.

Now, how to change the gtk theme, that's still a mystery.

geo_c

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@geo_c I will put CUPS in next, and check into the gtk theme change as well :geek:

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

geo_c wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:06 am
rockedge wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:48 am

Now, how to change the gtk theme, that's still a mystery.

/root/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini

[Settings]
gtk-theme-name=Cukoo-spit    ## Title of your topic
gtk-icon-theme-name=Papirus-Light   ## The name of your icons
gtk-font-name=Cantarell 10                ## Fonts
gtk-cursor-theme-name=Breeze_Snow  ## Cursor name
gtk-cursor-theme-size=0
gtk-toolbar-style=GTK_TOOLBAR_BOTH
gtk-toolbar-icon-size=GTK_ICON_SIZE_LARGE_TOOLBAR
gtk-button-images=1
gtk-menu-images=1
gtk-enable-event-sounds=1
gtk-enable-input-feedback-sounds=1
gtk-xft-antialias=1
gtk-xft-hinting=1
gtk-xft-hintstyle=hintfull
gtk-xft-rgba=rgb
gtk-modules=gail:atk-bridge

Restart x

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Sofiya wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:12 am

/root/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini

Restart x

That did the trick, thanks! It gets gtk3 but not gtk2 I think, because Rox is still using Raleigh.

I threw a copy of OmNu-Ice-dark in there. Soon I'll try linking my entire Tbox, but not tonight, I have to arise at 5:30am. Time to call it a day. I got a lot done though.

geo_c

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

@geo_c you would have liked Awesome - Minimalistic, Fast, Customizable Window Manager

Imagine this is your workplace

Attachments
Снимок экрана от 2023-05-07 16-32-53.png
Снимок экрана от 2023-05-07 16-32-53.png (379.3 KiB) Viewed 705 times
Снимок экрана от 2023-05-07 16-24-26.png
Снимок экрана от 2023-05-07 16-24-26.png (176.04 KiB) Viewed 708 times

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I considered using Awesome but feel Spectrwm is a better fit for KLV

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:09 pm

I considered using Awesome but feel Spectrwm is a better fit for KLV

Spectrwm is nice and unassuming. Since @Sofiya did an Openbox/Tint KLA, maybe his next project should be KLVorKLA-awestruck.

Me I can only handle so many desktop environments at once. I've got JWM/Rox, Xfce, and now Spectrwm down pretty well, a fourth might explode my brain.

But once all these are settled in, I'm sure I'll be looking at the next one, which at the moment would be KLA-OT2.

geo_c

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Once KLV-Spectr is fine tuned we can offer it from a download location. This distro is really close to where it should be, which optimally will be a stable base to add and configure to what ever is needed and desired. We'll keep it almost as it is now and the individual user can really form KLV-Spectr to their own specifications.

Then I will start to work on KLA-OT2 as well but it certainly is close to a release state already.

I still need to get more of a grip on woof-CE manipulation. Cool thing is that the KLV-Spectr root_fs can be built pretty close to as it is now by using the PLUG file with @wiak's FirstRib build script and with a small addition or two can generate a fresh version.

We need the different desktop configurations for spectrwm to pull out the full potential.

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:41 pm

@geo_c I set up a test run that should theoretically create a KLV from scratch that will use X11 (xorg) graphics, a spectrwm Desktop with Rox as the file manager and desktop pinboard.

I'm currently downloading alpha1 iso of this. Read up on Spectrwm and seems interesting indeed.

I'm also thinking it would be good on a netbook I have. I was planning to (eventually later this year) install BionicPup onto that because of @rockedge having developed a Zoneminder install for that (which, to be frank, I've meant to try for a long long time now...). I'd rather install this KLV though if it works well on the netbook, which I'm sure it will (even KLV-Airedale and other KL distros run quite smoothly on my 2GB netbook so I expect KLV with spectrwm will run even better).

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

wiak wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:02 am

I'm also thinking it would be good on a netbook I have... ... (even KLV-Airedale and other KL distros run quite smoothly on my 2GB netbook so I expect KLV with spectrwm will run even better).

I was thinking the same thing, as I have a similar netbook. But I'm enjoying it on my most powerful laptops as much as any other OS.

And the look of this desktop is really clean when you put just a bit of effort into the colors and icons. I wouldn't even call it dated or lo rez really. It's just super clean and to the point. Looks great in my opinion.

It's really an ideal choice for a netbook, as the keystrokes are really easy to use and don't take that long to learn. Especially if you use Rox pinboard and iconify windows with M-w and uniconify with M-S-w. You don't really have to touch mouse hardly ever if you don't want. And that's one thing about a netbook that's annoying, using a mousepad. I always carry a usb mouse around with my laptops because I hate mousepads.

Last edited by geo_c on Mon May 08, 2023 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

So I installed ristretto for viewing images, because that's what's in KLV-airedale, and it's working fine, but reported that it can't create thumbnails and suggests installing a thumbnailer service.

Don't know if it's necessary really. It displays what appear to be thumbnails of the images in the left panel.

I also just installed parole media player, that's working well.

geo_c

wiak

Post by wiak »

downloaded alpha1 but just got bar at top of screen with date in it. Couldn't see how to use it. Then downloaded spex-1 and same result... Haven't time to look into if issue with my computer or if I simply don't know how to use it or if I don't have the correct iso?

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak that is the desktop! Really plain. I will upload alpha2 soon that has a more cohesive outfitting.

M=Alt key
S=shift key

M S return will launch a terminal M p will display the application menu on the bar

I use the Ubuntu spectrwm manual page for the key bindings or Arch docs

Once you get the hang of it you'll find it is hard to return to a stacking window manager

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@geo_c I am using viewnior for image display which works well

I have CUPS working and that will go into alpha2

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:51 pm

I was going to install pavucontrol, the pulse audio volume control today. If it's in alpha2 I could just for wait that.

Otherwise I'm not sure how to control the volume. It does have pulse audio right?

Hopefully I can drop in the alpha2 files under my XXupper_changes like I've been doing with airedale, because I've got a lot of functionality and theming going on here already.

Though it looks like one issue I might have with that is I edited the .initrc to add your dbus lines, so that might be a problem if you've updated the initrc.

I added four gtk themes into the mix using @Sofiya's method. I just copy the /root/.config/gtk3/settings.ini file appended with the name of the different themes, and then overwrite the settings.ini to change themes.

Requires a restart of X though, and M-q restarts Spectrwm, but not X apparently, and I haven't figured out how to logout and restart X, so I've been rebooting, which is really fast fortunately.

geo_c

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@geo_c Use M S q to drop to the shell console then use startx

Yes the system is using pulsaudio. KLV-Spectr is very close to KLV-Airedale in overall operation other than the window manager mainly.

I have not added the pauvcontrol or any thing other than the basic audio stuff to get it going. I would be interested to see how it goes and if it looks easy enough I can add it to alpha2. I have not yet fully constructed the root_fs yet so we have room to experiment.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

geo_c wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:28 pm
rockedge wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:51 pm

I was going to install pavucontrol, the pulse audio volume control today. If it's in alpha2 I could just for wait that.

Otherwise I'm not sure how to control the volume. It does have pulse audio right?

Hopefully I can drop in the alpha2 files under my XXupper_changes like I've been doing with airedale, because I've got a lot of functionality and theming going on here already.

I added four gtk themes into the mix using @Sofiya's method. I just copy the /root/.config/gtk3/settings.ini file appended with the name of the different themes, and then overwrite the settings.ini to change themes.

Requires a restart of X though, and M-q restarts Spectrwm, but not X apparently, and I haven't figured out how to logout and restart X, so I've been rebooting, which is really fast fortunately.

try to install the program xbps-install lxappearance for selecting gtk themes

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Sofiya wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:35 pm

try to install the program xbps-install lxappearance for selecting gtk themes

I did consider that option before, but not knowing much about it was hesitant.

I'm still wondering about setting up gtk2, though since this appears to be a gtk4 system, I'm not sure it really uses gtk2.

If I want to use gtk4 themes, do I setup a settings.ini for that in /root/.config/gtk4 also?

When I use a gtk3/4 theme like gruvbox-dark I do get the theme in Geany, which is probably gtk3. I'm not sure I tried running any true gtk4 applications yet.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Though it looks like one issue I might have with that is I edited the .initrc to add your dbus lines, so that might be a problem if you've updated the initrc.

I think I know how to get around that. If I delete the Xinitrc from my numbered upperchanges from another OS, and then drop in the alpha2 files, that should work.

geo_c

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

geo_c wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:47 pm

I think I know how to get around that. If I delete the Xinitrc from my numbered upperchanges from another OS, and then drop in the alpha2 files, that should work.

the fact is that probably some kind of advanced program is needed to change the gtk4 theme, I don’t know exactly how the gtk4 theme works.
and what does the config file for gtk4 look like

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Sofiya wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:11 pm

the fact is that probably some kind of advanced program is needed to change the gtk4 theme, I don’t know exactly how the gtk4 theme works.

I can't find one. There is a gtk4 folder in /usr/share, but it has a folder called emoji in it. And there's not one in /etc. So I'm clueless as to whether it's a gtk4 compatible system or not.

I'm pretty sure KLV-airedale is gtk3/4 though.

geo_c

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

geo_c wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:31 pm
Sofiya wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:11 pm

I can't find one. There is a gtk4 folder in /usr/share, but it has a folder called emoji in it. And there's not one in /etc. So I'm clueless as to whether it's a gtk4 compatible system or not.

I'm pretty sure KLV-airedale is gtk3/4 though.

quite right ;)
read interesting https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GTK_(Русский)

~/.config/gtk-4.0/settings.ini

[Settings]
gtk-theme-name=Adwaita
gtk-icon-theme-name=gnome
gtk-font-name=Cantarell 11
gtk-cursor-theme-name=Grounation
gtk-cursor-theme-size=0
gtk-enable-event-sounds=1
gtk-enable-input-feedback-sounds=1
gtk-xft-antialias=1
gtk-xft-hinting=1
gtk-xft-hintstyle=hintfull
gtk-primary-button-warps-slider=false
gtk-xft-rgba=none
Last edited by Sofiya on Mon May 08, 2023 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:34 pm

@geo_c Use M S q to drop to the shell console then use startx

Yes the system is using pulsaudio. KLV-Spectr is very close to KLV-Airedale in overall operation other than the window manager mainly.

I have not added the pauvcontrol or any thing other than the basic audio stuff to get it going. I would be interested to see how it goes and if it looks easy enough I can add it to alpha2. I have not yet fully constructed the root_fs yet so we have room to experiment.

I installed pavucontrol with: xbps-install pavucontrol and it seemed to go well, there's a desktop file in applications.

I ran the program from the menu bar, and it appears to hang on establishing a connection to PulseAudio (I wonder if it has something to do with running PulseAudio as root or not as the case may be. I do get audio from my browser and from parole media player:

geo_c

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@geo_c this sounds like a permissions configuration problem involving pulseaudo starting as root. There was a thing we did to fix it in KLV-Airedale but I'll have to look back to see what was done to connect to the server.

This was also an issue early on with KLV-Airedale so we'll be able to fix it

First we check to see if pulseaudio is set up to start at system boot....then enable it as a runit service

Return to “KL-Dev_Work”