Any SFS or PET for installing fonts that support different languaages of the world?

Language Packs

Moderator: Forum moderators

user1234

Any SFS or PET for installing fonts that support different languaages of the world?

Post by user1234 »

So guys, after so long time of smooth working on my laptop, which of course has got one of its legs in its coffin :lol: (Its 12.5 years old), the laptop now again has started to show what it really is- a trash. Of course I will be getting a new laptop this month, but by that time I'd have to manage with this one.

I needed to reinstall my fossapup, but what a shock I got! My backup HDD has failed, and doesn't let me get the backups of the fonts I earlier borrowed from a Windows computer. Now, it was the most difficult thing I had to face earlier when I installed puppy for the first time, and I am no mood of redoing all that effort :mrgreen:, since I also have to redo a little bit of other configurations too.

So, HAS ANYBODY MADE ANY PET/SFS FOR THE FONTS, especially for fossapup? If someone has, then please post it as the reply of this post, else I will have to search my Windows computer again for the fonts :|.

Regards
user1234 (a needy one ;))

PuppyLinux 🐾 gives new life to old computers ✨

mistfire

Re: Any SFS or PET for installing fonts that support different languaages of the world?

Post by mistfire »

Just put UNIFONT.TTF file to /usr/share/fonts and you're done

https://unifoundry.com/pub/unifont/unif ... 4.0.04.ttf

user1234

Re: Any SFS or PET for installing fonts that support different languaages of the world?

Post by user1234 »

Sorry for late response.

@mistfire the unifont.ttf that you gave works very well. But there is a problem, especially in Indic languages (not checked all, but seems like most have this problem). The letters of these languages seem very weird. So anyone who uses those languages might need to install some other font packages. Here is a site that provides great Indic fonts.

Just download the zip file for the interested language, and unzip it in /usr/share/fonts/ (I put my fonts in /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF/. but perhaps there are other locations as well in /usr/share/fonts/ where you can put them).

After that, either restart your PC, or restart the graphical server (if your puppy lets you do that).

This is applicable to install any font of your wish :thumbup:.

Then what you do is ENJOY :thumbup2:!!!

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Download the fonts you want from that website. When you extract the package within you'll find a folder --such as one name 'Malayalam'-- and within that files ending with '.ttf'. I think you can copy/move the entire folder into the /usr/share/fonts/truetype folder. Restart-X (AKA Graphical Server) and see if they show up. If not, try moving/copying the individual files.

user1234

Post by user1234 »

Okay, so I have checked nearly most of the languages I could find on Google Translate, and installed fonts for all those languages I thought to be a little bit weird. Here is the ZIP file for the same, including the unifont.ttf- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TwtpIp ... sp=sharing. As you can see, the total directory size is huge, therefore I did not include chinese fonts in the same ZIP file. Here is a ZIP file I made for chinese fonts, includes Noto font family's Chinese (Simplified) and Chinese (Traditional). Chinese- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D09c3Z ... sp=sharing.

You can as usual unzip the contents of the files in /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF, and then restart the computer (or graphical server).

Note that the ZIP files I have created are meant to support nearly all the languages, so they of course are big. And once unzipped they must well take few hundreds of MBs of space. So for those who don't have enough space on their PCs can rather download and install fonts of the languages they are interested in.

Also note that if you find any font regarding any language that needs to be added to this list, please give a link for those and I will update my ZIP files.

alexsocop

Post by alexsocop »

user1234 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:44 am

Okay, so I have checked nearly most of the languages I could find on Google Translate, and installed fonts for all those languages I thought to be a little bit weird. Here is the ZIP file for the same, including the unifont.ttf- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TwtpIp ... sp=sharing. As you can see, the total directory size is huge, therefore I did not include chinese fonts in the same ZIP file. Here is a ZIP file I made for chinese fonts, includes Noto font family's Chinese (Simplified) and Chinese (Traditional). Chinese- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D09c3Z ... sp=sharing.

You can as usual unzip the contents of the files in /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF, and then restart the computer (or graphical server).

Note that the ZIP files I have created are meant to support nearly all the languages, so they of course are big. And once unzipped they must well take few hundreds of MBs of space. So for those who don't have enough space on their PCs can rather download and install fonts of the languages they are interested in.

Also note that if you find any font regarding any language that needs to be added to this list, please give a link for those and I will update my ZIP files.

This solved my problem, the Noto font family for Chinese (both simplified and traditional) worked perfectly. Fonts look sharp and clear on web and on subtitles. Thanks so much!

melon688

Post by melon688 »

F96-CE_4.iso + TCJK_LRB.pet

you can browse TAIWAN,CHINA,JAPAN,KOREA's web page.

Return to “Internationalization”