All Non-Account Imgur Images will be Deleted by May 15 2023

EfficientPup

All Non-Account Imgur Images will be Deleted by May 15 2023

Post by EfficientPup »

Another devastating blow for the modern web, Imgur has changed their polices to reflect this change and others starting May 15 2023. The vast majority of uploaded images were by anonymous non-registered users. The site started in 2009 but rose to prominence around 2011 so if interested in saving content on sites that heavily used Imgur I'd start saving and collecting now; there are also various scraper tools one can use to automate that. Some more complex than others. I don't know yet how to determine if each Imgur link originated from a registered account or not. I haven't seen too much Imgur content on this board but those long time members from the old board could indicate if it was used much (I've mostly seen images uploaded to the board itself but I'm new). I would like to preserve anything helpful image wise for puppy linux before this idiotic move by corporate suits occurs.

You can read the changes here:

Imgur Terms of Service
https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/14415587638029

mikewalsh

Re: All Non-Account Imgur Images will be Deleted by May 15 2023

Post by mikewalsh »

@EfficientPup :-

Um. Heh. Well, Imgur was my first image-host. I was happy there for a couple of years, then they decided on a major re-design. The site was never the same after that.

I moved over to PostImage. Been there ever since (7, 8 years now?)

I agree; most content, on the majority of image-hosts, is usually one-off, "on-the-spur-of-the-moment" content by unregistered users. I had every intention of using my current host full-time when I started with it, so I created an a/c. For me, it just made more sense.

I haven't used Imgur for quite some time. I dig around for an occasional image, now & then.....but although I'm a rare visitor over there now, my stuff should be safe enough. Once again, I'm "registered".

I've always preferred an image host to 'attachments', especially here. I've posted a lot of visual content over the last decade, and unlike many boards, phpBB has always had a rather small size limit compared to most.....and with a host, all you're adding is a URL. You don't NEED space on the server, because your content is somewhere else entirely.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

pp4mnklinux

Re: All Non-Account Imgur Images will be Deleted by May 15 2023

Post by pp4mnklinux »

It's not good.... but It's no bad (if we'll learn from this)

Nothing is free on the net.... soon or late you must pay, so be sure that when hosting some files on the internet using any free / paid service, soon or late u gonna loose them.

(I usually mention as example the educational platform EDMODO. I thought it could never dissapear, I prepared thousands of material for this, I was mentor at edmodo, I was..... and one day, they decided they will dissapear.- 30 days to recover your work and contacts and... BYE BYE...)

So learn from this.- You can host your files, you can save your work, you can upload them to different services, but in the end, only what you have phisically with you, is what you can consider sure.

Only and oppinion, but... REMEMBER ,= ;)

Do you think InternetArchive.org could someday dissapear??? https://www.themarysue.com/the-interne ... publisher/ , so imagine with comercial pages.

Return to “Off-Topic Area”