gramps for Jammy64

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

gramps for Jammy64

Post by mikeslr »

I guess when I have to. But I don't like to. [Fortunately, like everyone else, sometimes I don't realize I'm only guessing. :roll: :lol:]
Someone complained that a flatpak for gramps wasn't available for OS in use. There is one. In addition to the 1 Gb flatpak framework, the gramps flatpak would have been a 1 Gb download requiring 1.6 Gbs of storage space. I pointed out what I considered waste guessing that the gramps application would likely only be about 30 Mbs. Realizing that I was guessing, and noticing the absence of recent gramps applications for Puppys, I decided to try to build one. I was almost right. The resulting SFS is just short of 29 Mbs.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ct1dwhe4 ... 4.sfs/file

I tried unsuccessfully to convert it to an AppImage using fredx181's application. And the SFS doesn't function under F-96. So I think it's only for Jammy64. But the following recipe may be helpful if you want to build your own.

Likely easier to do using pkg-cli; but I haven't mastered that. So:
1. Used PPM to download the gramps deb.
2. Extracted that and opened in a text-editor the file named Control thus revealed. Control lists all of gramps' dependencies, recommended libraries, and suggested additional libraries.
3. I used PPM to download them all into a folder named gramps_jammy64-5.1.
4. PaDS from here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 6355#p6355 combined all the debs into an SFS in about 2 minutes.
5. Mounted the SFS and copied its contents into a folder named gramps_jammy64-5.1.5.
6. Check for and had to make the following usual adjustments to /usr/share/applications/NAME-OF-APP.desktop when debian/ubuntu provides the source packages:
a. remove %f from Exec= line
b. Change the argument in Categories= to one Puppy recognizes; and
c. find an icon (one was buried in /usr/share/icons/apps... which I symlinked into /usr/share/pixmaps) to specify in Icon=
7. Run dir2sfs on the folder created in 5.

The application opened but complained about a translation problem. Googling revealed that this has happened before. [My guess is that someone failed to include a recommendation in Control's list]. At any rate, that lead me to type the missing component into PPM which then downloaded the debs shown here:

gramps-rqd.png
gramps-rqd.png (9.7 KiB) Viewed 629 times

8. Adding them to the folder of Step 3 and repeating the following steps produced an SFS which appears to be fully functional, including geo-mapping capabilities.

Grey

Re: gramps for Jammy64

Post by Grey »

mikeslr wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:56 pm

gramps

Genealogy? I should probably try it. Perhaps I will turn out to be an illegitimate, but direct descendant of the Russian Tsar :D
In fact, I know that my ancestors on one of the lines were once not titled, but nevertheless a noble family. They lived on the territory of modern Ukraine and were Cossacks.

Mike, you have a lot of chances too ;) The history of your country is stormy and rich no less :)
If in the future Your Majesty will arrange a masquerade ball at Buckingham Palace, then do not forget - I have always believed in you :idea:

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Ah, so your ancestors were from the Ukraine. That means there’s an off-chance that we are distant cousins. Except for “Fiddler on the Roof” and Arthur Koestler’s book, “The Thirteenth Tribe”, I’ve decided against detailing the evidence.

As far as I’ve been able to determine, the sthetl where my father was born was not much different from Anatevka pictured in Fiddler, sans the latter’s songs and dances. In general, the relationship between Jews and their Christians neighbors was amicable. Only lacking from Fiddler's depiction is that State-sponsored and Church-encouraged pogroms sanctioned --in addition to vandalism, murder and mayhem-- rape. Jewish Law held that a child was to be raised in the religion of his or her mother.

Koestler’s theory –not supported, nor adequately disproven by DNA studies-- is based on historical records: the accounts of early Christian and Muslim missionaries, and a Sephardic Jewish emissary from what was then the Caliphate of Cordoba to the Khaganate of the Khazars. Short version: in the 7th Century, the Turkic Khazars conquered and established a Khagante over what is now Poland and the Ukraine. Among their conquered subjects were the Jews and the Ostogoths who then lived in modern-day Ukraine. The Ostogoths spoke a Germanic language. [To my untrained ear, the Yiddish my father used when speaking to his mother sounded more like Dutch (settled by the Visi/Western Goths) than the German I attempted to learn in school]. By the 8th Century the Khazars were faced with a dilemma. The polytheistic-shamism their nomad ancestors had practiced on the Steppes no longer seemed adequate for the problems they faced as settled rulers of cities. Christian and Muslim missionaries argued in favor of Monotheism. But to choose either would have turned their country into a battlefield. Islam conquered by the Sword, and Christianity resisted with like measure. To avoid that, the Khazar rulers converted to Judaism and encouraged/compelled their subject to do likewise.

Perhaps as a back-drop to the following anecdote, I should mention that one of the means by which Czarist Russia exercised its intent to curtail potential dissidents* –such as Jews-- was military conscription. Their term of service was 20 year.

The Cossacks were famed horseman, often serving in cavalry units. So it came to pass that two Cossacks –strangers to each other and both somewhat inebriated-- stood side by side at a communal urinal in Moscow. Their conversation went like this:

Left: You are from the Ukraine.
Right: Yes. It is true. I am from the Ukraine.
Left: Not only are you from the Ukraine, but you are from the City of Kiev.
Right: Yes, I am from Kiev.
Left: And not only are you from Kiev, but from the Southside of the City of Kiev.
Right: This is true. I am from the Southside of the City of Kiev. But how do you know this?
Left: I, too, am from the Ukraine, from the City of Kiev, from the Southside; and I know Rabbi Markowitz on the Southside who circumcises on the bias and you’re pissing in my boot.

-=-=-=-=-=
* It is curios that at the height of the Cold War, the Capitalist Elite thought Jews favored Communism; while Stalinists thought Jews were secretly Capitalists. Perhaps all who favor control by the few have in mind the most famous Jewish dissident. His name was Jesus.

Grey

Post by Grey »

mikeslr wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:00 pm

-=-=-=-=-=
* It is curios

Yes, this is a very old anecdote, "with a beard" :) , I heard it once in the city of Odessa.
On the second line, I also have Jewish roots and the name of my great-grandfather was almost beyond doubt. But... Unfortunately, at that time there was terrible confusion and chaos, and therefore everyone thought that his name was the biblical name Joseph. But I found a birth certificate where Osip is indicated. Besides, he was a carpenter (just like in the Bible :) ), you probably understand.

One of my grandfathers had a name that was also quite controversial at that time. Therefore, in order not to stand out, he made a tattoo on his hand (on his fingers) with a similar, but quite Russian name. And he respected Stalin very much, oddly enough (and this despite the fact that he was in prison for stealing a bag of grain from the field, with which he wanted to feed his family).

In addition, if the organism contains more Cossack blood, everyone pronounces the letter R perfectly :)
Therefore, it is quite difficult to understand whether I am a Jew by a quarter. I believe in the Powers of Mother Nature with a touch of Buddhism. Kalmykia is not far from me, it seems that it is still the only region in Europe that professes Buddhism. After such an answer, no one has any complaints :)
----------|
A Russian is standing on the street and peering into the distance, beyond the horizon. A Jew approaches him:
"What are you looking for there?"
"I'm looking for a good place to live..."
"Eh, it always seems that it is good where we are not now..."
"So I'm looking... where all of you are not at all..."

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Return to “Documents”