How to make TeamViewer work? (Solved)

Moderators: kirk, jamesbond, p310don, JakeSFR, step, Forum moderators

p310don

How to make TeamViewer work? (Solved)

Post by p310don »

I like BackSeatDriver a lot, but sometimes I need to use Teamviewer.

Up until recently I was using TV via a chrome extension, but that doesn't seem to exist any more. Has anyone gotten TV to work on FatDog?

wizard

Re: TeamViewer

Post by wizard »

Years ago TV didn't have a Linux version, but it ran well under Wine. TV created a Linux version and then killed all versions less than 14 plus they tightened their cutoff on how much use required licensing (automatic disable). At that point both @mikewalsh and I tried unsuccessfully to get TV v14 to work in Puppy. After that I experimented with different programs and settled on Anydesk as the best cross platform replacement.

On a side note, Chrome's Remote Desktop app has been deprecated and is no longer supported.

I don't know if this will apply or help you with FatDog, but might save you some frustration.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@p310don :-

Heh. Yup; I was for quite a while using that same Chrome extension myself, but it's been non-functional for at least 2-3 years.

Teamviewer, well; I keep going back to it, and having a "play", but I'm groping in the dark TBH. I took over building the WINE-based packages for a while after cimarron dropped off the radar, but as Wiz says, when they switched to Qt5 and deprecated everything prior to TV14, that was it. Nowt worked after that, so we started looking around for other replacements.

AnyDesk, I had no luck trying that with the old Dell lappie. My desktops have always been powerful enough, but the Inspiron was hopelessly under-powered with that P4.....and I need at least two machines to try any remote-control stuff, obviously. Now I have the Latitude, I'll take another look at AnyDesk.

------------------------------------

I've been re-experimenting with DWService the last few days, and it works very well indeed. I've built it into a 'portable'; you just run it on whatever machine you want to control, then enter the generated user ID & password on another machine. This is entered in DWService's website, and you essentially operate your remote control thru the browser. It works very well!

Take a look here:-

viewtopic.php?t=8490

See what ya think. Bear in mind that I've found the older script is actually more versatile than the currently-available one.....and this is no longer available. Fortunately, I still had a copy of it, and it'll run on all 32- and 64-bitzers alike. This is the one I've made into a 'portable' app.

It runs in "unattended" mode by default. DWService have their own YouTube channel, with a host of short vids explaining every aspect of how the thing can be used. You can access that from the 'Support' dropdown at the top of their "front page":-

https://dwservice.net/

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

cthisbear

Post by cthisbear »

I think I was the original poster for Teamviewer in Puppy years ago...

https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=54638

And thanks again ...tronkel

:::::::::

But in Windows those TV clowns spoiled it...can only logon once a day.
So I wouldn't mind thinking that Linux would be the same.

Anyway I was trying all other variants in Windows last week to fix a clients laptop problems.

As much as I loathe Google just use >>> Google Remote Desktop.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answe ... %3DDesktop

https://remotedesktop.google.com/

"""""

Use Chrome Remote Desktop on Linux

Step 1: Install the Debian package for the host components

Download the 64-bit Debian package here.
Step 2: Allow remote connections

Go to the “Set up remote access to your computer” section above.
Step 3 (Optional): Customize your virtual desktop session

When you first connect, you'll get a default session chooser where you can select your desktop environment. If you always want to launch a specific desktop environment:

In /usr/share/xsessions/, find the .desktop file for your preferred desktop environment. In the file, you'll find a line that starts with Exec= with the command you need to start the session.
For example, Cinnamon has a file named cinnamon.desktop. In some versions, the file might have the command: gnome-session --session=cinnamon.
Create a file called .chrome-remote-desktop-session in your home directory with the content: exec /etc/X11/Xsession '<YOUR_EXEC_COMMAND>'.
Replace <YOUR_EXEC_COMMAND> with the command at the end of your .desktop file.
In the example for Cinnamon, the correct command is exec /etc/X11/Xsession 'gnome-session --session=cinnamon'.
Save the file called $HOME/.chrome-remote-desktop-session. You'll find this change the next time you restart the Chrome Remote Desktop host.
The virtual desktop session is created and .chrome-remote-desktop-session starts when Chrome Remote Desktop starts.

Tip: Your desktop environment may not support more than one session at a time. In this case, we recommend that you use different desktop environments for your Chrome Remote Desktop session and your local session, or use the session chooser.

If you use the session chooser, we recommend that you sign out of the desktop environment in Chrome Remote Desktop or your local session
before you sign in to the same desktop environment on the other.

Download the 64-bit Debian package here.

https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/chro ... _amd64.deb

:::::::::::

Never tried the linux version...OK!
Faster than Teamviewer...better...not one dropout.

Yes you have to have a Google account but it workith and smaller then TV.

Not going back to other crap.

Cheers....Chris.

p310don

Post by p310don »

I hate all of your replies... :)

I have seen posts in the past of people trying to get TV to work and had hoped someone had a solution by now. It seems that they're making things harder, not easier.

I have a crappy solution that does work, but I don't like it. I have a VM of Win10mini, installed TV on that and I can access teamviewer shares where need be.

Thanks for everyone who replied.

mikewalsh

Re: TeamViewer: how to make TV work? (Solved)

Post by mikewalsh »

@p310don :-

Ah, well. You can't force an old dog into performing "new" tricks.. :D

If your 'crappy' solution works.....all well & good. You sound as though you're very used to TeamViewer. It's a bit like me and Skype; I have to use the damned thing, 'cos the rest of the family don't know owt else, and won't consider even trying anything different! :roll:

Such is life.

Mike. ;)

p310don

Post by p310don »

@mikewalsh on the contrary, I hate teamviewer. But I am forced into it somewhat for work.

Good news though...

My work computer is running a Fatdog host, with Win10 virtual machines as guests. Teamviewer runs on the guests for tech support from the software provider. Having fatdog as the host, and fatdog at home, I use BackSeatDriver every day to remote into work as needed. However, every now and again, I'm out and about and get the call to be "tech support" when I'm not near a proper, puppy like computer, and something more ubiquitous would be handy.
It sucks being a Linux person in a windows world...

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

p310don wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:15 pm

However, every now and again, I'm out and about and get the call to be "tech support" when I'm not near a proper, puppy like computer, and something more ubiquitous would be handy.
It sucks being a Linux person in a windows world...

^^^ :lol: :lol:

That says it all. More power to ya, Paul!

Mike. :thumbup:

cthisbear

Re: How to make TeamViewer work? (Solved)

Post by cthisbear »

p310don... " I hate all of your replies"

I need a new handle.
Another person that's on to me..I blames that Google Your Worship.

A pity someone couldn't make a Pet of Google remote desktop.

Chris.

Return to “FatDog”